Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sleep Paralysis or Jinns? Have you ever experienced them?

From the age of 9 until i was about 16 i use to have these strange experiences. I would wake up unable to move or breathe. It would feel as if i was being strangled. One time i even saw a little girl watching over me, but because i was not fully awake while this was happening, i ain't even sure if i did really see her or if it was just a nightmare. I have spoken to other people who have experienced this and some believe that it is a jinn?? According to doctors this is sleep paralysis.

What is Sleep Paralysis?

Sleep paralysis (SP) refers to the condition in which a person, usually lying on his back (in a supine position), is about to fall asleep or has just awoken to find himself incapable of movement or speech. It may last anywhere between several seconds to several minutes, during which time the individual may experience mounting fear and panic as well as various forms of sensory hallucination that may be either fantastical or horrific.

Whats your take on this? Have you ever experienced them?

(It's got nothing to do with Paranormal Activity)

Barayev

Re: Sleep Paralysis or Jinns? Have you ever experienced them?

i believe it is an jinn and not a hallucination

hasnt happened to me but happened to a couple of close mates, they both couldnt breathe and move and were trying to call out but couldnt speak - one of them saw a jinn in the shape of a lion ir some animal sitting on his chest

and the other just saw a hand on his chest forcing him down, he couldnt see the full figure of the person cos he couldnt move his head but he said the hand held him down and he couldnt move or breathe

i think this only happens if you sleep on yer back facing straight up, if you sleep on your side dont think it happens

yes i have experienced this many times

Quote Originally Posted by -Shamil- View Post
    i believe it is an jinn and not a hallucination

hasnt happened to me but happened to a couple of close mates, they both couldnt breathe and move and were trying to call out but couldnt speak - one of them saw a jinn in the shape of a lion ir some animal sitting on his chest
    Its strange u say that because my brother had a similar experience. He said a lion or something was holding him down. He could hear me calling him but couldn't respond ....

very strange ....

الله مولانا ولا مولى لهم Abu Jaffar's Avatar

try saying athkar al nawm before you sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Jaffar View Post
    try saying athkar al nawm before you sleep.
    Alhumdullilah, I hardly ever have them now.

I have had it many times.... if U recite Ayat Ul Kursi before sleeping, U dont experience this... and U sleep like a newborn baby

Quote Originally Posted by shaquille20 View Post
    I have had it many times.... if U recite Ayat Ul Kursi before sleeping, U dont experience this... and U sleep like a newborn baby
    Agree.

I have had many of them. They always come in the drifting off phase, and out the blue. The only thing that stops it for me is Ayat-ul Kursi.

الله مولانا ولا مولى لهم Abu Jaffar's Avatar

Here is an english copy of hesn al muslim
    and
    an arabic pps version
    Attached Files Attached Files

I've had sleep paralysis quite a lot in the past, I read somewhere that it's to do with nerves in your neck and is much more likely to happen if you sleep on your back. Since reading that years ago, I've had just one attack of sleep paralysis.

The hadeeth says to lie on your right side to sleep, I'd advise trying that inshaAllah.

salaam

yeh that happened to me once but alhamdullilah i was not even able to open my eyes so i didnt see anything - if i did then i wud be too frightened to sleep in my room!

i heard its coz ur meant to sleep on ur right and not on ur back - basically the recovery position, this actually helps breathing or summat

read ur quls and ayat al kursi

and recite surah mulk before u sleep to save u from the punishment of the grave - not relevant but

and tomorrow is friday so recite surah kahf

wassalaam

Quote Originally Posted by dhakiyya View Post
    I've had sleep paralysis quite a lot in the past, I read somewhere that it's to do with nerves in your neck and is much more likely to happen if you sleep on your back. Since reading that years ago, I've had just one attack of sleep paralysis.

The hadeeth says to lie on your right side to sleep, I'd advise trying that inshaAllah.
    a brother in our prayer room was talkin about this

a doctor was observing muslims performing wudu and noticed that they wipe over their neck he then asked them is this part of their rituals? and they replied yes

he then said something about nerves being there connected to ur spinal cord or sumthin like that and studies have shown that wiping over ur neck helps relax these nerves - subhanAllah this shows how we shudnt neglect the sunnah

Quote Originally Posted by Jannah101 View Post
    a doctor was observing muslims performing wudu and noticed that they wipe over their neck he then asked them is this part of their rituals? and they replied yes

he then said something about nerves being there connected to ur spinal cord or sumthin like that and studies have shown that wiping over ur neck helps relax these nerves - subhanAllah this shows how we shudnt neglect the sunnah
    My mom told me this also
    I've experienced sleep paralysis a few times. The last time was a month ago. I woke up but could not move or utter a word-was like someone was strangeling me-could see a dark shadow leaning in on me on my left side-like someone was watching me while strangeling me. It lasted for what felt like a long moment and I forced myself to move my head to the left so I could face the "shadow" while I was trying to read ayat-al-kursi but couldn't until a few milisecs later-it was a real fight. Did not sleep the rest of that night cuz I was too scared to go asleep again. I seriously don't think it was a jinn-just sleep paralysis.
    "Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"
    Whosoever desires peace prepares for war; no one provokes, nor dares to offend, those who they know to be superior in battle-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Quote Originally Posted by Reflection09 View Post
    My mom told me this also
    I've experienced sleep paralysis a few times. The last time was a month ago. I woke up but could not move or utter a word-was like someone was strangeling me-could see a dark shadow leaning in on me on my left side-like someone was watching me while strangeling me. It lasted for what felt like a long moment and I forced myself to move my head to the left so I could face the "shadow" while I was trying to read ayat-al-kursi but couldn't until a few milisecs later-it was a real fight. Did not sleep the rest of that night cuz I was too scared to go asleep again. I seriously don't think it was a jinn-just sleep paralysis.

i think it was a jinn - docs dnt believ in jinns or anythin so theyd neva tel u abt them theyl only tel u ur mental and hallucanatin lol

my lil bro studies at dewsbury n he sed if u sleep on ur front then shaytaan messes wid u n if u sleep on ur bak then jinns mess wid u - i think they sit on u or sumthin :S

i know, it shows us theres a wisdom behind everything we do - was a real emaan boost

i think it was a jinn - docs dnt believ in jinns or anythin so theyd neva tel u abt them theyl only tel u ur mental and hallucanatin lol

my lil bro studies at dewsbury n he sed if u sleep on ur front then shaytaan messes wid u n if u sleep on ur bak then jinns mess wid u - i think they sit on u or sumthin :S

i know, it shows us theres a wisdom behind everything we do - was a real emaan boost
    :S The thing is when I normally sleep I always sleep on my right side but during the night I may switch side and sleep on my left side or back-don't sleep on my stomach.
    I really don't hope it was a jinn but it def. was scary-it was like I was frozen and could not move according to my will. It was a little eman boost you could say yes, as I didn't sleep that night and to be honest was scared of sleeping the next night too but alhamdulillah overcame that fear-these days I suffer from sleeptalking-my family is sick of having their sleep disturbed as I apperently talk loud, tell exciting stories and cry-I can't remember any of it the next morning
    "Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"
    Whosoever desires peace prepares for war; no one provokes, nor dares to offend, those who they know to be superior in battle-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Account Disabled

you just woke up with the effects of REM sleep still present .. thats all ..

Quote Originally Posted by Reflection09 View Post
    :S The thing is when I normally sleep I always sleep on my right side but during the night I may switch side and sleep on my left side or back-don't sleep on my stomach.
    I really don't hope it was a jinn but it def. was scary-it was like I was frozen and could not move according to my will. It was a little eman boost you could say yes, as I didn't sleep that night and to be honest was scared of sleeping the next night too but alhamdulillah overcame that fear-these days I suffer from sleeptalking-my family is sick of having their sleep disturbed as I apperently talk loud, tell exciting stories and cry-I can't remember any of it the next morning
    yeh same, i move around alot when i sleep even tho i start off on my right!

yeh das wot happend to me i cudn move n dat but alhamdulillah it cuda been worse

sleeptalk? my brother used to do that, he used to start kickin as wel like hes playin football lol

when i sed emaan boost i was talkin abt the wudu - wen u wipe over ur neck

yeh same, i move around alot when i sleep even tho i start off on my right!

yeh das wot happend to me i cudn move n dat but alhamdulillah it cuda been worse

sleeptalk? my brother used to do that, he used to start kickin as wel like hes playin football lol

when i sed emaan boost i was talkin abt the wudu - wen u wipe over ur neck
    I used to kick too when I was younger (my sis tells me cuz we slept in the same doublebed) and sleeptalk too-now I just talk apparently-it's annoying to have my fam laugh at me in the morning "oh you were dreaming of dinosaurs"

Wudu I see yep

my friend suffers from this. She's an atheist, before I even mentioned anything spiritual she insisted there must be a scientific reason behind it lol. it's like she was on the defensive before I even tried anything. I wonder if there's a hadith or something pertaining to it ? It must be one of the reasons why the Prophet advised sleeping on ones side.

wa alaikum assalam

this use to happen to me quite frequently, mainly when im sleeping on my back i think. I think I was able to hear/see my mum but i was trying to talk but i couldnt

But Alhamdulillah I can get out of it now easily and rarely happens now

this happened to me about 3 times when i was under 14 years old. never had it since. was lying on my back and could not move at all, and was struggling to breath. didnt see any thing though. only great fear. i heard this happens when u lie on your back and have a hand on ur chest where the heart is. the pressure of ur hand slows the heart and ur mind goes wild. not sure if it's true though
    There is a clock on your forehead counting down to the time of your death. Only Allah knows how many seconds are left on it

happened to me few years back, just about managed to recite ayatul kursi and it stopped!

It happened to me a couple of years back. I think it was because I slept on my back all night and I remember waking up not being able to move, I thought somebody was holding me down, I could just about talk and I remember saying 'get off me' and as soon as i said that I was able to move again, it's quite a scary experience.
    Epictetus Ė "If you wish to succeed, be prepared to be thought foolish and stupid" ...

Aslam o Aliakum everyone.

The first this happened to me when was at Uni.. in my second year... i never experienced this ever before..

I woke up..and i tried to move, i cudnt move and i tried to speak but i couldnt say anything. I was soo scared if i would in this position all night, and yes i was lying on my back. Couldnt see anything.

The same thing happened to me like few months ago in my final year. Staying at a student accommodation. I was trying to say Help but nothing came out.

But Allhumdulillah it has stopped. Such a scary experience. It feels like your paralyzed.

Anyone know why this happens,. Why the Jin and so forth...
    Ask Allah for everything, even if it is only a shoe-lace, beacuse if Allah does not make it easy, then it will not be possible

see a doctor? or a sheikh?
    ĎÖVerily Allah sent the Messenger with the Deen of guidance and truth in order to dominate over all other Deens (i.e. religions; such as Christianity, Hinduism and Judaism and ideologies; such as capitalism and Communism) even if the idolaters dislike itÖí

aiesha_kiwi
    Guests

Yes.. I have had some awful nightmares too. Don't get me started lol.

Well we not gonna ask ^^ lol. I have had many weird dreams, i try to remember them but I cant..
    Ask Allah for everything, even if it is only a shoe-lace, beacuse if Allah does not make it easy, then it will not be possible

Quote Originally Posted by aiesha_kiwi View Post
    Yes.. I have had some awful nightmares too. Don't get me started lol.
    it is sunnah not to spread bad dreams

salaam
    There is a clock on your forehead counting down to the time of your death. Only Allah knows how many seconds are left on it

Salaam

I have had similar experiences to you; however mine started closer to my 10th bday and was after my 1st period, I have heard the sleep paralysis usually occurs once a girl starts her period but obviously not the case to men.
    in my sleep paralysis I hear voices and it lasts for 3-4 minutes, so longer than just a few seconds like in some peoples experience, the worst I had was a few months ago where I was paralysed couldnít talk or scream, and my blanket was falling of me, I wasnít sure weather that was real or not but at the time it felt like something was pulling my blanket away from me. The voices I heard were deep and sounded like a dog howling. in only one of my experiences I felt that I couldnít breathe either so at the time I had to figure out a way of breathing by pumping my stomach in and out, that how bad it use to be for me.

I donít sleep on my back I sleep on my right hand side, I know that because I start of by going to sleep in that position and when I wake Iím on my right hand side, so itís not just because of sleeping on the back.

All I can suggest is to stay calm (itís easy to say even I donít think of staying calm at the time) but that is what you should do. my mum use to say itís because I donít read my kalma or pray before I go to but I did, but some wise guy told me itís not just praying before bed you have to do, its reading namaz and doing zikar that will also help with it. Alhamdulillah it hasnít happened for quite some time now. Although I have been woken by strange noises. And canít seem to go sleep after that, so just stay awake all night and get up when someone else in the family wakes up for far.

I hope this helps as itís a common misunderstanding that itís just because of lying on your back and hallucinating if that the case why doesnít it happen to people when they fall asleep watching TV why is it always at night??
    I do think itís a type of jinn sitting on my chest or my head, itís usually my chest.

these jinnís havenít hurt me they just scare for the moment, which isnít nice and I hope they go away, but in a way they are there to make me think about Allah at the time of panic, maybe itís just part of the test????

Account Disabled

Quote Originally Posted by miya View Post

From the age of 9 until i was about 16 i use to have these strange experiences. I would wake up unable to move or breathe. It would feel as if i was being strangled. One time i even saw a little girl watching over me, but because i was not fully awake while this was happening, i ain't even sure if i did really see her or if it was just a nightmare. I have spoken to other people who have experienced this and some believe that it is a jinn?? According to doctors this is sleep paralysis.

What is Sleep Paralysis?

Sleep paralysis (SP) refers to the condition in which a person, usually lying on his back (in a supine position), is about to fall asleep or has just awoken to find himself incapable of movement or speech. It may last anywhere between several seconds to several minutes, during which time the individual may experience mounting fear and panic as well as various forms of sensory hallucination that may be either fantastical or horrific.

(It's got nothing to do with Paranormal Activity)
    Some people say modern science and medicine dis-spells religion. What once was believed to be associated with witches/devils/jinns etc can now be diagnosed and treated with thanks to rapid development in technology thanks to the West.

I DONT REPLY 2 PM'S

had it once as a kid....its not as bad as having a vertigo attack in your sleep
    Jo kaam karta hai tu chup ke jahaan se
    koi dekhta hai tujhe aasmaan se

Quote Originally Posted by miya View Post
    It's "Sleep paralysis". Nowadays you don't see a lot of Jinns. They deserted the big cities many years ago, are almost extinct and perhaps can be found in some south-Asian villages and maybe in some parts of mid-east I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAC View Post
    It's "Sleep paralysis". Nowadays you don't see a lot of Jinns. They deserted the big cities many years ago, are almost extinct and perhaps can be found in some south-Asian villages and maybe in some parts of mid-east I don't know.
    how would you or anyone else know that? if you don't mind me asking

"You are the best nation raised up for men. You enjoin good and forbid evil, and you believe in Allah." (Surah Al Imran 3:110)

scribble
    Guests

I used to get that and scary nightmares. Recite surah Baqarah very often in your home. Now I'm ace, alhadmdulillah

I have been having the same trouble for quite a while now, when I go to sleep and in the early hours of morning mainly after fajr salaah I feel like someone is holding me down and I then feel totally paralysed, now it`s happened from quite a few years but since I got married a year ago it`s happend more often, and at the moment in Ramadhan it has already happened twice, and it last happened this morning after suhoor, I have also done research on sleep paralysis and I am really confused if this is a jinn or sleep paralysis? I have prayed Surah manzil, I have a taveez in my room and I always pray ayatul kursi an and all my kalimahs and da kuls before I go sleep when da whole thing is over I wil then loudly say ayatul kursi when I am feeling all paralysed I cAnt move at all or talk!!
    i mean i dont understand how can it be a jinn?? coz it Ramadhan right now and i am just sooo confused i just dont know what to do!!

Quote Originally Posted by raz_6 View Post
    I have been having the same trouble for quite a while now, when I go to sleep and in the early hours of morning mainly after fajr salaah I feel like someone is holding me down and I then feel totally paralysed, now it`s happened from quite a few years but since I got married a year ago it`s happend more often, and at the moment in Ramadhan it has already happened twice, and it last happened this morning after suhoor, I have also done research on sleep paralysis and I am really confused if this is a jinn or sleep paralysis? I have prayed Surah manzil, I have a taveez in my room and I always pray ayatul kursi an and all my kalimahs and da kuls before I go sleep when da whole thing is over I wil then loudly say ayatul kursi when I am feeling all paralysed I cAnt move at all or talk!!
    i mean i dont understand how can it be a jinn?? coz it Ramadhan right now and i am just sooo confused i just dont know what to do!!

Please remove the taweez from ur room, get a trusted imam to dispose of it properly if ur unable to do so yourself. The taweez will not protect u, only Allah Ta'ala will. Even if it has nothing but quranic ayat it is best to remove it from your room. InshaAllah o0nce u remove it u will have a more peaceful sleep, also make sure u have no images on the walls. Also, u can play surah al baqarah throughtout the night on low volume, inshaAllah this should help also (but remove the taweez first!)
    Download either of these surah al baqarah recitations:

http://quranicaudio.com/download/13727

http://www.dhikrullah.com/downloads/...an/baqarah.mp3

Wasalaam
    "You are the best nation raised up for men. You enjoin good and forbid evil, and you believe in Allah." (Surah Al Imran 3:110)

jazakallah for that reply, but you know i have slept at my mums where there isn't a taveez and i still experiened it then too, so what harm can a taveez do??but jazakallah i will definitely try playing surah baqarah at night inshallah, and jazakallah for the links.

Quote Originally Posted by raz_6 View Post
    jazakallah for that reply, but you know i have slept at my mums where there isn't a taveez and i still experiened it then too, so what harm can a taveez do??but jazakallah i will definitely try playing surah baqarah at night inshallah, and jazakallah for the links.
    barakAllah feek, the problem with taweez is that many of them contain other than qur'anic ayats. Forexample they might have strange symbols, numbers, and some even have names of jinn/shaytan! So u need to be careful when keeping taweez with u because it might lead to u unknowingly committing shirk, n'audhu billah. If u recite ayatul kursi and the 3 quls before u sleep, sleep in a state of wudhu, and try to sleep on ur right side, inshaAllah u will be protected. maybe its better if u do this after fajr too since thats when u get sleep paralysis.

Wasalaam

hmm.. i still have a question... i was around five i saw something at my window.. i woke up crying.. and i kept on pointing at it.. walahi i saw something. and i woke up my sister who was beside me and she didnt see anything.. shes like. theres nothign there.. go back to sleep.. i kept on crying and pointing at it.. it woudlnt talk or move. .i twas literally a person.. or face.. im not trynaa scaree anyone but. a pale face. with jet jet balck curly hair. .it was a man.. it just kept on staring at me.. I wonder if it was a jinn or my imagination :S i mean i remember me telling my dad but i dont know what his reaction was.. im still so confused about that.. ah. Allahu Alam May Allah Protect us all Ameen