Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can muslims have medical insurance/car insurance?

Assalamualaikum,

I'm new to this forum. I'll be moving to the US soon, and I was wondering if its halal for muslims to have medical insurance (as without insurance is soooooo expensive!) and car insurance?

Also, can a person have a job in medicare etc or just in hospitals where the position is to check whether the patients' insurance policy meets up to requirements?

I would really really appreciate an answer.

Wassalam.

Re: Can muslims have medical insurance/car insurance?

It's against the law in the UK to drive without insurance, so either it is halaal or all muslims would not be driving.

Account Disabled

Quote Originally Posted by x--x View Post
    It's against the law in the UK to drive without insurance, so either it is halaal or all muslims would not be driving.
    I know many many muslims who drive without insurance and have been for many many years, alhamdulillah.

Quote Originally Posted by MWarrior View Post
    I know many many muslims who drive without insurance and have been for many many years, alhamdulillah.
    They're doing it because it's haraam or because they don't want to pay?

They're doing it because it's haraam or because they don't want to pay?
    its a necessity thing. i personally dont have anything more than basic liability for car insurance and i dont have life insurance at all (i believe that to be completely haraam). medical insurance is something different altogether, my work provides for that.
    قُلْ يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ هَادُوا إِن زَعَمْتُمْ أَنَّكُمْ أَوْلِيَاء لِلَّهِ مِن دُونِ النَّاسِ فَتَمَنَّوُا الْمَوْتَ إِن كُنتُمْ صَادِقِينَ
    وَلَا يَتَمَنَّوْنَهُ أَبَدًا بِمَا قَدَّمَتْ أَيْدِيهِمْ وَاللَّهُ عَلِيمٌ بِالظَّالِمِينَ
    قُلْ إِنَّ الْمَوْتَ الَّذِي تَفِرُّونَ مِنْهُ فَإِنَّهُ مُلَاقِيكُمْ ثُمَّ تُرَدُّونَ إِلَى عَالِمِ الْغَيْبِ وَالشَّهَادَةِ فَيُنَبِّئُكُم بِمَا كُنتُمْ تَعْمَلُونَ

صدق الله العظيم

Lol, well anyone know the rules in the US?

If it *is* against the law, we have to do it anyway, because breaking the law would be haraam too, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Tabassum07 View Post
    Lol, well anyone know the rules in the US?

If it *is* against the law, we have to do it anyway, because breaking the law would be haraam too, right?
    most states only require you to have basic liability coverage
    قُلْ يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ هَادُوا إِن زَعَمْتُمْ أَنَّكُمْ أَوْلِيَاء لِلَّهِ مِن دُونِ النَّاسِ فَتَمَنَّوُا الْمَوْتَ إِن كُنتُمْ صَادِقِينَ
    وَلَا يَتَمَنَّوْنَهُ أَبَدًا بِمَا قَدَّمَتْ أَيْدِيهِمْ وَاللَّهُ عَلِيمٌ بِالظَّالِمِينَ
    قُلْ إِنَّ الْمَوْتَ الَّذِي تَفِرُّونَ مِنْهُ فَإِنَّهُ مُلَاقِيكُمْ ثُمَّ تُرَدُّونَ إِلَى عَالِمِ الْغَيْبِ وَالشَّهَادَةِ فَيُنَبِّئُكُم بِمَا كُنتُمْ تَعْمَلُونَ

صدق الله العظيم

Quote Originally Posted by Basil al-Mamluk View Post
    its a necessity thing. i personally dont have anything more than basic liability and i dont have life insurence at all. medical insurance is something different altogether, my work provides for that.
    This is what I'm asking. I know life insurance is haraam, and so is working for life insurance companies. But medical insurance is okay, whether we purchase it ourselves or our work provides for it? So then, is working for medical insurance companies okay, and working in hospitals as a position which verifies the medicare etc okay?

Why is life insurance haraam?

I know, especially in Birminghamistan.
    I thank Allah for blessing me with Islam... there are billions of souls out there who are in the darkness... yet we still do not appreciate it and thank him enough

صدق الله العظيم

That's the ruling for life insurance. Any answers for medical insurance and car insurance? These things are different than life insurance.

I know life insurance is haraam, and so is working for life insurance companies. But medical insurance is okay, whether we purchase it ourselves or our work provides for it?
    Medical Insurance is Haraam Bro

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/4210/medical%20insurance

However any kind of insurance which is a legal requirement e.g. car insurance is allowed BUT you cannot take out more than you put in. So if you have paid £3000 total into your car insurance and then u have an accident you can only claim a maximum of £3000 back.

Islam-qa:
    "But if it is compulsory insurance and one has no choice, then it is permissible to take out car insurance, for example, and the sin is on those who forced others to do it, based on the principle of “necessities which make forbidden things permissible”.

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/102969/car%20insurance
    Please Re-update your Signature

Any muslims in the USA? However do muslims survive without medical insurance? Is there any other way if its haraam?

Like Tabassum I would also like to know what the US muslims do. Could anyone tell us?

Account Disabled

Assalamualaikum,

I'm new to this forum. I'll be moving to the US soon, and I was wondering if its halal for muslims to have medical insurance (as without insurance is soooooo expensive!) and car insurance?

Also, can a person have a job in medicare etc or just in hospitals where the position is to check whether the patients' insurance policy meets up to requirements?

I would really really appreciate an answer.

Wassalam.
    W/Salaam WRB

Simple answer

Medical Insurance - Don't take it and pay the Medical Bills when you fall ill and need treatment.

Car Insurance - Don't take it and use public transport, train/tram or purchase a bicycle.

Account Disabled

Quote Originally Posted by islam4u View Post
    Medical Insurance - Don't take it and pay the Medical Bills when you fall ill and need treatment.
    Do you know how much US healthcare can cost?

As a brit you yourself pay for "medical insurance" in the form of your taxes and NI that pay for the NHS. You may not need it, or you may take out far more from the nhs than you put in.

If you required expensive treatment which was clearly more than the proportion of taxes you had paid which go to the nhs would you volunteer to make up the difference yourself? If not you are buying insurance.

Account Disabled

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoWolf View Post

As a brit you yourself pay for "medical insurance" in the form of your taxes and NI that pay for the NHS. You may not need it, or you may take out far more from the nhs than you put in.

If you required expensive treatment which was clearly more than the proportion of taxes you had paid which go to the nhs would you volunteer to make up the difference yourself? If not you are buying insurance.
    You picked the wrong person to talk about HealthCare since I am in the profession. Remember I was not the one enquiring about should I take medical Insurance because it is Haram.

I may get free or subsidised treatment here in the UK, but I still pay for my prescriptions and treatment when I go to the pharmacy.

The NHS is the governments commitment for a FREE healthcare service and always will. I am well aware where my taxes go and how it helps the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoWolf View Post

Thats wrong. The reason insurance is haraam is that it's like gambling as your payment could gie you an unfair return (either too small or too large).

In the UK, the taxes firstly are required by law so they have to paid. Secondly, we are not paying specifically for health cover but rather are leaving it up to the government to decide what they will spend it on and how much. In return for the taxes, as citizens, we are promised healthcare along with a whole range of other benefits.

So if we were to extrapolate your system to all areas of life, someone who uses a public library on a frequent basis should pay the library an additional membership fee because their tax doesnt cover the cost of borrowing all those books. Or someone who travels around the roads alot in the evening/night (walking or driving) should pay extra for the street lights as their taxes dont cover them to use that much light over the year.

Account Disabled

Quote Originally Posted by islam4u View Post
    You picked the wrong person to talk about HealthCare since I am in the profession. Remember I was not the one enquiring about should I take medical Insurance because it is Haram.

I may get free or subsidised treatment here in the UK, but I still pay for my prescriptions and treatment when I go to the pharmacy.

The NHS is the governments commitment for a FREE healthcare service and always will. I am well aware where my taxes go and how it helps the economy.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the impression I got was that you were telling the American that they should not take out health insurance. If that's not the case then my appologies.

If it is the case then you are denying them what you tourself take for granted, affordable healthcare based on shared risk. In the states thats done through insurance, in the UK through taxes but the end reult is the same. Some people pay in less and get more, some pay in more and get less.

Also the NHS is not free, we all pay for it, it's free at the point of treatment based on need, but the same "gamble" takes place for all of us that pay for it as with those who take out health insurance in the US.

Personally i much prefer our NHS model to the US one but for muslims living in the US they currently don't have the same option we do here so advising them against health insurance when medical bills can run into millions is in my view wrong.

Account Disabled

Quote Originally Posted by ridwaanakhmed View Post
    Thats wrong. The reason insurance is haraam is that it's like gambling as your payment could gie you an unfair return (either too small or too large).

In the UK, the taxes firstly are required by law so they have to paid. Secondly, we are not paying specifically for health cover but rather are leaving it up to the government to decide what they will spend it on and how much. In return for the taxes, as citizens, we are promised healthcare along with a whole range of other benefits.

So if we were to extrapolate your system to all areas of life, someone who uses a public library on a frequent basis should pay the library an additional membership fee because their tax doesnt cover the cost of borrowing all those books. Or someone who travels around the roads alot in the evening/night (walking or driving) should pay extra for the street lights as their taxes dont cover them to use that much light over the year.
    Do you not understand the concept of shared risk?

A child could have run up millions of pounds worth of medical costs before they were 5, equally someone could live to 100 years without ever troubling a doctor for so much as an asprin. Is it fair that the childs parents cover the entire cost of the treament because the child has the misfortune to be seriously ill? Most people would say no, hence everyone pays for medical care, be it through the government in the UK or helath insurance in the US. Some will use it more than others, but it means that those who need treatment get it, which is fair and from my basic understanding of islam the benefit of treatment for the sick when required would far outweigh any percieved gambling.

Further, as with car insurance or contents insurance the individual is not getting a financial benefit from any payout, it merely allows an illness to be treated, a stolen thing replaced or a liability caused by an accident to be covered. None of these forms of insurance enrich the individual, they merely restore (hopefully in the case of health insurance) the previous situation.

As already mentioned, car insurance is okay, you just shouldn't take out more than you put in. In European countries car insurance is required by law anyway. I would also recommend car insurance in the US because it puts you on the safe side and you can just get compensation for damage to your car. And there are also many good reason for having medical insurance. In my opinion, insurances are useful and good as long as you don't abuse them to make a profit.

You can't exactly say its 'Halaal' theres something we have to do...... if u understand lol
    I thank Allah for blessing me with Islam... there are billions of souls out there who are in the darkness... yet we still do not appreciate it and thank him enough

so if a muslim has car insurance (fully comp) thats wrong? (it should be the minium requirments for legallity)?

if he does and crashed then say his premium was £300 per year, he could only accept £300 back off the insurance company even if his car was worth £10000?

if he only got 3rd party, and crashed into someones car and the damages came to £1000 and his premiums paid are only £300 he must pay the rest (£700) himself?

*****education is important but big biceps are importanter*****

*****KAFFIR

It's the same song with car and homeowners insurance. Car insurance is allowed only when state law requires it. Some Muslims may still refuse to have car insurance. Those of you who live in high Muslim density areas, make sure you have the uninsured motorist option.
    Health Insurance tx

cuppycakee

why wouldn't muslims be allowed to have insurance??? does it deal with interest or...?

Account Disabled

Assalamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

I think I misunderstood this. In US, as far as I know, you have to have insurance on a car. If they catch you driving without insurance, you must pay a fine. Are we speaking about the same insurance?

Also, for helth insurance. One has to have it or his bill is double, I think.

Are we speaking about the same insurance?

Being without health insurance is very very hard. I hurt my nose last year and just to put a strap on the little cut i had, i would have paid 150 euros if i didn't have a student health insurance.
    I actually put it myself, the doctor only touch my nose to feel if it was broken or not.
    I don't even nightmare of it in the US.
    As for the car insurance i believe it is obligatory in a lot of countries, in mine if you don't have they take your driving license and you 'll have to go home by foot.
    My Blog http://historyeyesopened.tumblr.com/ Watch out sister Nousername
    Ummah forum mentality depiction by BBC (warning) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

Yes i have read that in muslim community insurance is not allowed but what will they do if it compulsion just as if they working some where and insurance is provided to all the employees then they dont have exception in such cases.
    Medicare supplement insurance

Account Disabled

I read somehwhere that Muslims have to obey the law of the land?

Account Disabled

Quote Originally Posted by ridwaanakhmed View Post

However any kind of insurance which is a legal requirement e.g. car insurance is allowed BUT you cannot take out more than you put in. So if you have paid £3000 total into your car insurance and then u have an accident you can only claim a maximum of £3000 back.
    What if you cause damage worth 15,000 pounds then would you pay the difference?

الحمد لله‎

Quote Originally Posted by Vela View Post
    as long as it doesn't clash with his Islamic faith/shari'ah
    "We have a a history to be proud of and a future to believe in.."

Daily quotes from the scholars of Islam

Account Disabled

Quote Originally Posted by S@Z View Post
    as long as it doesn't clash with his Islamic faith/shari'ah
    You need to elaborate on this. Your statement is too vague unless you really mean what you say.

In that case many laws do. Even building regulations or health and safety laws are against Islam.

Where do we draw the line?

In fact in regards to insurance. No one is forcing you to drive, use public transport or cycle or walk.

In fact did Muhammad not say that keeping a horse is one of his sunna that muslims should follow.

In that case get a horse.

Same with a house, you could rent instead of buying.

الحمد لله‎

You need to elaborate on this. Your statement is too vague unless you really mean what you say.

In that case many laws do. Even building regulations or health and safety laws are against Islam.

Where do we draw the line?

In fact in regards to insurance. No one is forcing you to drive, use public transport or cycle or walk.

In fact did Muhammad not say that keeping a horse is one of his sunna that muslims should follow.

In that case get a horse.

Same with a house, you could rent instead of buying.
    how so?

by the way, are you rosie f.?
    "We have a a history to be proud of and a future to believe in.."

Daily quotes from the scholars of Islam

Account Disabled

how so?
    Can you provide me from the Quran and Hadith the building regulations and laws?

Do they even exist?

I dont think so. So if a Muslim decides to build a property without any permission in the UK(not against Islam)

Would you condemn him/her?

Account Disabled

by the way, are you rosie f.?
    Are you a melon in disguise?

(LOL!!!!)

I am a Married Mother!

There are things that are Haraam and that Muslims are excused for if they do them because of necessity.

Where I live, for example, having medical insurance is compulsary. It doesn´t make having medical insurance Halaal. It´s still Haraam but if you take medical insurance you are excused because the disadvantages of not taking this insurance are bigger than the benefit of not taking insurance. To name a couple of those disadvantages:

You would have to pay a fine on top of amount of money you would have had to pay anyway
    You could be imprisoned which would mean that you would have to show your ´Awrah to the Kuffaar and stay in custody under authority of the Kuffaar

So in this case you are excused.

I am a Married Mother!

Muslims have to obey the Laws of Allaah and they have to reject the Kufr Laws. You can´t reject something if you show obedience towards it.

Living outside of an Islamic State also means you abide by the Sharee´ah so when there are certain laws that are in complience with the Sharee´ah, then we don´t break these laws but only because Allaah has forbidden us these things.

If there are laws that go against the Sharee´ah but do not affect your life as a Muslim, then there would be no need to break these laws. Not because it would be Haraam if you did but because there is no use or benefit in doing so. You could only harm yourself and the community and maybe even the Islamic Da´wah because you could be thrown into jail.

If there are laws that go against the Sharee´ah and do affect your life as a Muslim because, for example, they tell a woman to uncover her hair of face, then it is not allowd to follow this law but you should break it by still covering up and, for example, pay the fine or stay in your house if there is no way to get around it.

Account Disabled

Quote Originally Posted by *Sabrun_Jameel* View Post
    If there are laws that go against the Sharee´ah and do affect your life as a Muslim because, for example, they tell a woman to uncover her hair of face, then it is not allowd to follow this law but you should break it by still covering up and, for example, pay the fine or stay in your house if there is no way to get around it. [/FONT]
    Decent reply but from what you are saiyng is that Muslim girls in France should break the law on religious symbols in schools which also includes the headscarf.

Majority obey the law and go to school. Are you saying that they should stay at home and miss an education?

Majority cannot afford home schooling.

In case of driving insurance. There are alternatives which millions of non muslims use. So there is no excuse to break the law.