Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Tafseer Class, Tafseer Ibn Katheer, Saturday 6:30pm GMT (7:30pm BST/GMT+1) skype: ummahradio Show Details here

Listen Online:www.ummahradio.com
DOWNLOAD THE APP

Note: All classes are still on the old times of GMT, not GMT +1 a.k.a. BST, with the exception of the Tafseer Class, for that will be done at 7:30pm GMT, or 6:30pm GMT+1/BST

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Did prophet Muhammad marry a 6 year old?

Prophet married Aisha when she was 6-years-old and consummated his marriage with her when she was 9. He was then, 54 years old.

these are from islamic scriptures

Sahih Muslim Book 008, Number 3310:
    'A'isha (Allah be pleased with her) reported: Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) married me when I was six years old, and I was admitted to his house when I was nine years old.

Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 62, Number 64
    Narrated 'Aisha:
    that the Prophet married her when she was six years old and he consummated his marriage when she was nine years old, and then she remained with him for nine years (i.e., till his death).

Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 62, Number 65
    Narrated 'Aisha:
    that the Prophet married her when she was six years old and he consummated his marriage when she was nine years old. Hisham said: I have been informed that 'Aisha remained with the Prophet for nine years (i.e. till his death)." what you know of the Quran (by heart)'

Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 62, Number 88
    Narrated 'Ursa:
    The Prophet wrote the (marriage contract) with 'Aisha while she was six years old and consummated his marriage with her while she was nine years old and she remained with him for nine years (i.e. till his death).

Re: Did prophet Muhammad marry a 6 year old?

I am confused whether ur asking a question or giving information. If ur asking it then its 'YES'. Huzoor married Aiysha (RA) when she was 6 yrs old.

Anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by amaankhan View Post
    I am confused whether ur asking a question or giving information. If ur asking it then its 'YES'. Huzoor married Aiysha (RA) when she was 6 yrs old.

Anything else?
    and had sex with her when she was 9 yeard old?

[quote=netname;3418278]and had sex with her when she was 9 yeard old?[/quot

YOUR POINT...?

JUST REMEMBER SOCIETY WAS DIFFERENT IN THE TIME OF OUR BELOVED NABI (SAW) AND THE PEOPLE OF THAT TIME WERE MUCH MORE INCLINED TO DEEN AND ITS PRACTICE. THIS WAS ALSO PERSONIFIED VIA THERE CHARACTERS.

ANOTHER THING, ISLAMICALY ONCE BOTH GENDERS REACH THE AGE OF PUBERTY THEY CAN GET MARRIED AND BEAR IN MIND IT WAS MUCH QUICKER IN THE TIME OF OUR BELOVED NABI(SAW). THEY ALSO MATURED QUICKER.
    Last edited by S.O.A; 31-08-09 at 10:17 AM.

Odan

And the point of this topic is what???

It was the done thing at the time, it's not as if he was the 1st one to do it, many men in that society married young women, and yes she was a woman she started menustrating at 9 years of age.

As I said many Arab men did it at that time, I don't know why people are so hung up about it and keep attributing it to Islam. Arabs did it all the time! If you want to have a problem have it with the society not him!

Norms and values constantly change within different socities over the ages, what he did was very normal at that time, with her consent and they had a beautiful loving marriage.

To add: women in hotter countries start menustrating a lot earlier than girls in the colder west, It has been scientifically proven that the age at which girls start to menstrate has drastically increased over the last few 100's of years.

It was even very common in western society 'girls' as young as 11-12 were married off (women) this was just a few 100 or so years ago. So imagine 1400 years ago + if a woman has started mensutrating she is a woman.

People try and say it is all about s*x if it was then they would have consumated at the begining of the marriage, but they never. They did when she became a woman.
    Last edited by sunrise; 31-08-09 at 10:28 AM.
    Bye bye

Quote Originally Posted by Mikha’eel View Post
    And the point of this topic is what???
    to confuse the simple-minded muslims and make us dislike our Rabb, our prophet and our Deen - Islam

Quote Originally Posted by sunrise View Post
    It was the done thing at the time, it's not as if he was the 1st one to do it, many men in that society married young women, and yes she was a woman she started menustrating at 9 years of age.

As I said many Arab men did it at that time, I don't know why people are so hung up about it and keep attributing it to Islam. Arabs did it all the time! If you want to have a problem have it with the society not him!

Norms and values constantly change within different socities over the ages, what he did was very normal at that time, with her consent and they had a beautiful loving marriage.

To add: women in hotter countries start menustrating a lot earlier than girls in the colder west, It has been scientifically proven that the age at which girls start to menstrate has drastically increased over the last few 100's of years.

It was even very common in western society 'girls' as young as 11-12 were married off (women) this was just a few 100 or so years ago. So imagine 1400 years ago + if a woman has started mensutrating she is a woman.

People try and say it is all about s*x if it was then they would have consumated at the begining of the marriage, but they never. They did when she became a woman.
    i know it was done at that time, but if Muhammad is a prophet of god why did he do this kind of disgusting thing like having sex with a child? instead of telling them it was wrong Muhammad did it too?

Quote Originally Posted by netname View Post
    i know it was done at that time, but if Muhammad is a prophet of god why did he do this kind of disgusting thing like having sex with a child? instead of telling them it was wrong Muhammad did it too?
    you know I've heard this tired argument many times from islam haters like you. first of all men in generally married girls young back then. even Europeans did it. it wasn't disgusting for it's time. people didn't live that long back then so as soon as the girl hit puberty they would get her married. that's how things were back then.

and over time the ages change. for example 50 years ago 16 wasn't considered young to get married. but now it is. people don't expect girls to marry until they are in their 20's now. it's just how society goes.
    Last edited by sis_niqabi; 31-08-09 at 11:01 AM.
    Say, O My servants who have transgressed against themselves [by sinning], do not despair of the mercy of Allah . Indeed, Allah forgives all sins. Indeed, it is He who is the Forgiving, the Merciful.”
    (Surah Az Zumar, (Chapter 39: Verse 53)

Quote Originally Posted by sis_niqabi View Post
    you know I've heard this tired argument many times from islam haters like you. first of all men in generally married girls young back then. even Europeans did it. it wasn't disgusting for it's time. people didn't live that long back then so as soon as the girl hit puberty they would get her married. that's how things were back then.

and over time the ages change. for example 50 years ago 16 wasn't considered young to get married. but not it is. people don't expect girls to marry until they are in their 20's now. it's just how society goes.

I know I'm tired of this lame argument and Muslims being forced to answer these types of questions. It is a SOCIETY thing not an Islam thing.

And a female is a woman when she reaches puberty, he treated her with the upmost respect he loved and cherished her so I don't get the problem? they willingly consented!

And why should God tell him not to do something when it is allowed? she wasn't a child. In Islam you become accountable for your sins when you reach puberty as you are classed as an adult, it would be quite hypocritical if you were classed as an adult for your sins but not in other realms.

Anyways I'm done, gosh people don't get tired of this, I frankly am
    Bye bye

Prophet married Aisha when she was 6-years-old and consummated his marriage with her when she was 9. He was then, 54 years old.

these are from islamic scriptures

Sahih Muslim Book 008, Number 3310:
    'A'isha (Allah be pleased with her) reported: Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) married me when I was six years old, and I was admitted to his house when I was nine years old.

Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 62, Number 64
    Narrated 'Aisha:
    that the Prophet married her when she was six years old and he consummated his marriage when she was nine years old, and then she remained with him for nine years (i.e., till his death).

Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 62, Number 65
    Narrated 'Aisha:
    that the Prophet married her when she was six years old and he consummated his marriage when she was nine years old. Hisham said: I have been informed that 'Aisha remained with the Prophet for nine years (i.e. till his death)." what you know of the Quran (by heart)'

Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 62, Number 88
    Narrated 'Ursa:
    The Prophet wrote the (marriage contract) with 'Aisha while she was six years old and consummated his marriage with her while she was nine years old and she remained with him for nine years (i.e. till his death).
    She was very likely much older when she get married.
    "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." -Orson Welles

Quote Originally Posted by sis_niqabi View Post

and over time the ages change. for example 50 years ago 16 wasn't considered young to get married. but now it is. people don't expect girls to marry until they are in their 20's now. it's just how society goes.
    you did not get the point i said i know it happened at that time but if Muhammed was prophet of God why did he do it too instead of telling them its wrong.

Account Disabled

Quote Originally Posted by sunrise View Post
    It was the done thing at the time... Norms and values constantly change within different socities over the ages, what he did was very normal at that time, with her consent and they had a beautiful loving marriage.
    Are you saying that Muhammad's actions do NOT set the standard for mankind to follow till the end of time?

Account Disabled

The minimum age for marriage under Church and common law was 12 for girls and 14 for boys.1525

Medieval Women
    http://www.feltonfleet.co.uk/departm...al%20Women.pdf

lol right little word twisting manipulator aren't you, just because he married Aysha at the age she was doesn't mean we have to, and just because they used to wear ihram at that time doesn't mean we have to. That is what I said and am saying. Just as they were traditional at that time, they are not now.

You Islam haters will never give up, if you actually care to learn ask a scholar, or do a search for a thread this topic has been answered a zillion times before.

No point wasting time with time waters.
    Bye bye

Account Disabled

Edward II's daughter Joan is married to Prince David of Scotland in 1328 when she is seven and he is four. Princess Isabella of France marries Richard II in 1396 when she is seven, although she has the opportunity to change her mind later.

Lady Margaret Beaufort is 13 when she gives birth to the future Henry VII in 1457. But in 1414, a Welsh couple are sent to Henry V as a 'marvel' because they have had a baby: allegedly, she is seven and he is nine.

http://www.channel4.com/history/micr...12/part10.html

should i say more

Quote Originally Posted by salahuldin786 View Post
    Edward II's daughter Joan is married to Prince David of Scotland in 1328 when she is seven and he is four. Princess Isabella of France marries Richard II in 1396 when she is seven, although she has the opportunity to change her mind later.

Lady Margaret Beaufort is 13 when she gives birth to the future Henry VII in 1457. But in 1414, a Welsh couple are sent to Henry V as a 'marvel' because they have had a baby: allegedly, she is seven and he is nine.

http://www.channel4.com/history/micr...12/part10.html

should i say more
    did they claim to be prophets of God?

you did not get the point i said i know it happened at that time but if Muhammed was prophet of God why did he do it too instead of telling them its wrong.
    Who said its wrong ? Go see what the age consent in the state of california was in the early 1800's + In that day and age it was normal between both arabs and Jews.

As for today western civilization have set their age consent and wants the rest of the world to follow it which just aint happenin , yet they have Girls as early as 10 12 pregnant without wedlock and not complaining ?

So what would you rather follow ?

did they claim to be prophets of God?
    Prophets (as) are human, just like you and me.
    'Nor say of anything,"I shall be sure to do so and so tomorrow" without adding, " if Allah (SWT) Wills" (18:23-24)

QuranExplorer.com, where you can Listen to the Holy Recitation and Translation online in Arabic and English : http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/

Amongst the strangers..

Dont come on our forums to insult our beloved Prophet (saw).. If you're here to learn then learn dont throw stupid questions at us!

Account Disabled

and

Account Disabled

Im tired of answering this kind of question meant to provoke Muslims and to cast doubt.

But for the sake of da'wah, let me try to answer. The other posters have contributed and they all make sense. Maybe i can try answer it from a different perspective.

Human physiology and biology vary from person to person, so many factors contribute to these varieties in human physiology and biology, genes, food etc. Some children although, the same age are different in their sizes, height, weight. Some children are bigger and taller and some girls get their first period very early while others get it late. Arabs and Europeans are known to be mature very early as compared to Asians for example in terms of size, most of them are bigger and taller than Asians. So it's possible that Aishah got her first period very early. I've read somewhere also that scholars differ in determining the age of Aisha RA when she was married to Prophet Muhammad and her age when the marriage was consummated.

Anyway, there's wisdom behind this divinely inspired marriage, out of this marriage Aisha RA came out as a scholar, mostly consulted by the companions RA in matters of hadith, deen in general and the very personality of Prophet Muhammad SAW himself, who knows better about a man inside out other than his own wife? This marriage bond also made the process of imparting knowledge without limitation and restriction spiritually and physically regardless time and place possible. There's a bigger advantage that Aishah became a young bride because at a younger age, one's memory is very strong. This is proven by studies in developmental psychology and cognitive psychology.

In Islam seeking knowledge for both men and women is compulsory, talibul ilm faridhatun a'la kulli muslim (ALL MUSLIMS) and it's required while seeking it, aurah is observed when there's a presence of a man not considered mahram but this didnt need to be observed by Aishah and Prophet Muhammad, very easy that way. Muhammad SAW is a prophet of Islam, it's very logical that he passed the knowledge of Islam to others, especially to people very closed to him so the knowledge not only could be disseminated so it reached the believers in theory and practice but also so that knowledge is preserved from alteration because active documentation took place after his demise. During his lifetime, Aishah RA and other companions to whom knowledge of Islam was taught by Prophet memorized its minor details and was documented albeit rudimentary. so you see, knowledge had already been seriously institutionalized by Prophet Muhammad SAW and his marriage to Aishah was part of that institution because Islam takes knowledge seriously.

Account Disabled

Lady Margaret Beaufort is 13 when she gives birth to the future Henry VII in 1457

"The Age of consent for girls in America before the 19th century was as low as 10! (I wonder what it would've been if America existed at the time of Prophet Mohammad 1400 hundred years ago?!) and these same Americans criticize the prophet of Islam for marrying a 9 year old girl 1400 hundred years ago while in their own country NOT 1400 years ago but ONLY 100 years ago the age of consent for girls was as low as 10, hilarious indeed."

“In the late nineteenth century,"Age of consent" referred to the legal age at which a girl could consent to sexual relations. Men who engaged in sexual relations with girls who had not reached the age of consent could be criminally prosecuted. American reformers were shocked to discover that the laws of most states set the age of consent at the age of ten or twelve, and in one state, Delaware, the age of consent was only seven.”

Age of consent in England:
    “The age of consent for heterosexual acts was set at 12 in 1275 and remained so for six centuries.”

“The age of consent in Spain is 13, as specified by the Spanish Penal Code, Articles 181(2) and 183.”

“The National age of consent in Japan is 13 for both males and females, as specified by the Japanese Penal Code Articles 176 and 177.”

In the talmud, girls were married off at the age of 3.

In one of the bibles, Joseph was 90 years old when he married 12 to 14-year old Mary

Hypocrites.
    Last edited by -MA-; 31-08-09 at 12:10 PM.

please remember that we are fasting people! this person has only come on here to cause trouble
    Alhamdulillah for everything

Quote Originally Posted by Bint.Omar View Post
    please remember that we are fasting people! this person has only come on here to cause trouble
    yes, & Q has been answered so thread closed
    .: Rufaida :.
    .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.

“People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
    but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
    ~ Ibn Atallah