Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shab-e-Barat

Shab-e-Barat

Assalmualykum,

Just like to know what people think of shab e baraat and do you follow it as its only people from southAsia who kind of celebrate it. Any hadiths to proove your opinion would be beneficial

Jazakallah for your views

Re: Shab-e-Barat

anybody ?

Just Another Abid

Q 1. Please comment on the following: What is Shab-e-barat? What is the significance of the night of the 15th of Sha’ban? Why is the Arab world not aware of this night? When did we start celebrating this religious festival and where? Is there any mention of this night in our Holy Qur’an? Is there any authentic book where something is mentioned about this night? In India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, some people celebrate this night and mix it up with the greatest night “Laylatul Qadr” of the month of Ramadan. (Jamshed Taher, L.A.)

A 1. The month of Sha’ban is the eighth month of the Islamic lunar calendar. The fifteenth night of this month is known as Laylatul Bara’ah or Laylatun Nisfe min Sha’ban in the Arab world. In India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Iran, Afghanistan, etc., it is known as Shab-e-barat. Some people believe that in Surah al-Dukhan (44:3-4) there is a reference to this night as Allah says, “We sent it (the Qur’an) down during a blessed night. We are truly warners. In that night is made distinct every affair of wisdom” But the night referred to here cannot be a Sha’ban night, because it is said here clearly that the Qur’an was revealed in this night. We know from the Surah al-Qadr (97) that the Qur’an was revealed in the night of Qadr and we also know from the Qur’an (Al-Baqarah 2:185) that the Qur’an was revealed in the month of Ramadan, so it is obvious that the night of the revelation of the Qur’an was in Ramadan, not Sha’ban, and that it was Laylatul Qadr not Shab-e-barat (or the Sha’ban night). Some people also say that in the 2nd year of Hijrah, the direction of Qiblah was changed from Jerusalem to Ka’bah (Makkah) on the 15th day of Sha’ban. This report is also not confirmed by authentic Ahadith.According to most of the scholars of Tafsir, the Qur’an has not mentioned anything about the Sha’ban night. There are some Ahadith that speak about the Middle of Sha’ban and its night. However, the scholars of Hadith say that most of the Ahadith concerning this night are not sound. They are weak (da’if) according to the criteria of the Muhaddithin. Imam al-Mundhiri (died in 656 A. H.) in his famous book Al-Targhib wa al-Tarhib (vol. 2, pp. 116-120) has reported fourteen Ahadith on the subject of this night. The following points can be summarized from those Ahadith:

The month of Sha’ban is a great month.
    In this month Allah takes the account of His creation.
    Because this month occurs between two other important months, viz. Rajab and Ramadan, many people do not pay enough attention to it.
    The Prophet -peace be upon him- loved to fast during this month. He used to fast most of the month of Sha’ban.
    After sunset during the night of Middle of Sha’ban, Allah in His great mercy and kindness turns towards His creation and asks, “Is there anyone who would seek My forgiveness and I forgive him/her? Is there anyone who is in need to ask Me and I provide for his/her needs. Is there anyone who in pain and seek My help and I help him/her? Is there? Is there? until the time of Fajr.”
    The Prophet -peace be upon him- is said to have recommended prayers during this night and fasting during the following day.
    It reported that the Prophet -peace be upon him- used to visit the Muslim cemetery on this evening and he used to pray for the deceased Muslims. These are the things that we learn from some Ahadith about the significance of this night. However, there are many practices and customs common in some Muslim countries, such as making a sweet dish (Halwa), doing fireworks (atish baazi) etc. These things have no meaning and no reference in Ahadith. There are also some superstitious beliefs about this night. For example, some people believe that the spirits (arwah) of the deceased visit their relatives during this night. Some believe that there is a special Tree in the heaven upon whose leaves are the names of all human beings, and whatever leaves drop during this night, those people are destined to die in this year. Some think that the decisions about the life and death of people are made during this night. All these beliefs and superstitions do not belong to the authentic teachings of the Qur’an and Sunnah.We must try to follow the Qur’an and the authentic Sunnah of the blessed Prophet -peace be upon him. It is our duty as Muslims to take advantage of all good occasions to revive our faith, to purify our souls and to increase our love and devotion to Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala, but we must follow the Sunnah of the Prophet -peace be upon him. We must not do anything in our celebrations that is against his teachings.

Firstly, the narrations which have been mentioned about praying and fasting have been declared as weak by many scholars, including mufti Taqi Uthman.

So maybe you can fast on that day without making the intention its sunnah or something, thats what mufti taqi uthman said.

The hadith in question was narrated by a man, the majority of the scholars of Hadith have held Abu Bakr ibn Abi Saburah as a weak reporter of Hadith, but they did not declare him as a forger or fabricator.
    There is rest only in the aakhira.
    Man will rest in the aakhira according to how hard he strives in dunya.
    - Khaalid Ibn Al Waleed (ra) -

If you find yourself in a time where speech is regarded as knowledge,
    and knowledge is regarded as deeds,
    then you are in the worst of times, with the worst of people.
    - Abu Hazim Al Ashja'i (ra) -

the especial night mentioned in surah Dakan means which night.is it the shaban or Qadar?
    what is the importance of 15 shaban,is it the night in which the fate of every one is decided for the next year?
    the especial night mentioned in surah Dakan means which night.is it the shaban or Qadar?

Praise be to Allaah.

Laylat al-Nusf min Sha’baan (the 15th of Sha’baan) is like any other night, and there is no sound report from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to indicate that on this night the fate or destiny of people is decided.

See Question no. 8907.

With regard to the night mentioned in the verses:

“We sent it (this Qur’aan) down on a blessed night. Verily, We are ever warning [mankind that Our Torment will reach those who disbelieve in Our Oneness of Lordship and in Our Oneness of worship].

Therein (that night) is decreed every matter of ordainments”

[al-Dukhaan 44:3-4]

Ibn Jareer al-Tabari (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: the commentators differed concerning that night, i.e., which night of the year it is. Some of them said that it is Laylat al-Qadr, and it was narrated from Qurtaadah that it is Laylat al-Qadr. Others said that it is the night of the 15th of Sha’baan. The correct view is the view of those who say that it is Laylat al-Qadr, because Allaah has told us of that when He says, ‘Verily, We are ever warning’ [al-Dukhaan 44:3].”

(Tafseer al-Tabari, 11/221)

With regard to the phrase, “Therein (that night) is decreed every matter of ordainments”: Ibn Hajar said in his commentary on Saheeh al-Bukhaari: “What this means is that the decrees for the year are decided on that night, because Allaah says: ‘Therein (that night) is decreed every matter of ordainments’. And al-Nawawi said: the scholars said that it is called Laylat al-Qadr because on this night the angels write down the decrees (aqdaar), because Allaah says, ‘Therein (that night) is decreed every matter of ordainments’. This was also narrated by ‘Abd al-Razzaaq and other mufassireen with saheeh isnaads from Mujaahid, ‘Ikrimah, Qutaadah and others. Al-Toorbashti said that the word used in the Qur’aan is qadr, whereas people think it is qadar (decree); the word qadr refers to the detailed manifestation of the decree.

Laylat al-Qadr brings great reward for the one who does good deeds and strives in worship on that night.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, We have sent it (this Qur’aan) down in the Night of Al-Qadr (Decree).

And what will make you know what the Night of Al-Qadr (Decree) is?

The Night of Al-Qadr (Decree) is better than a thousand months (i.e. worshipping Allaah in that night is better than worshipping Him a thousand months, i.e. 83 years and 4 months).

Therein descend the angels and the Rooh [Jibreel (Gabriel)] by Allaah’s Permission with all Decrees,

(All that night), there is peace (and goodness from Allaah to His believing slaves) until the appearance of dawn”[al-Qadr 97:1-5]

There are many ahaadeeth which speak of the virtue of that night, such as the hadeeth narrated by al-Bukhaari from Abu Hurayrah, in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever spends Laylat al-Qadr in prayer out of faith and hoping for reward, all his previous sins will be forgiven, and whoever fasts Ramadaan out of faith and hoping for reward, all his previous sins will be forgiven.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, al-Sawm, 1768).

And Allaah knows best.

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Kamaa Tadeenu Tudaan Abu Mus'ab's Avatar

Do you want to see my fatwa? :|

"Beware of the people of personal opinion (in Deeni matters), because the people of opinion are the enemy of the Sunnah, they were unable to safeguard the Ahaadeeth, so they speak (in matters of the Deen) with their opinion, so they go astray and they lead others astray."

Hadhrat `Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab Radhiallaahu `Anhu.

Forgive me if i appear harsh or tactless at time in my replies, I have a great amount of ghayrah for my deen, thus I am quickly angered when people mistreat it.

Sisters: Please, do not send me pm's or wall messages if it's not for a necessity like a translation or a ruling etc, Jazaakunnallaahu Khayr.

In search .... of answers Treasured Soul's Avatar

^^ yes!
    When you were born you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you're the one smiling and everyone around you is crying...

Man's way leads to a hopeless end...Allah's way leads to an endless hope

Fasting the 15th if Sha'baan

Fasting on the 15th of sha'baan is not Sunnah per se, there is only one Hadeeth narrated regarding fasting on the 15th of Sha'baan, the one narrated by Hadhrat 'Ali Radhiallaahu 'Anhu reported in Sunan Ibn Maajah which says:

When the fifteenth night of Sha'baan comes then spend its night in Salaah, and fast its day...

However this Hadeeth has been rated as weak by the Muhadditheen, Moulana Fazlur Rahman Aazmi writes in a booklet of his regarding the 15th of Sha'baan when commenting on this Hadeeth:

This Hadith is however very weak. Some scholars have declared it as Mowdhu' (fabricated). One of the narrators of this Hadith is Ibnu-Abi-Jabrah, who has has been accused of fabricating Ahadith. [Taqrib of Ibnu-Hajar, pg. 396]. Imam Bukhari and others have also proved him to be weak. [Mizanul I'tidal, vol. 5, pg, 503] Thus this Hadith cannot be relied upon. Hence the fasting of this day should not be regarded as Sunnat as such, since a weak narration is not sufficient to prove this fast as being Sunnat. An interesting point, also, is that fasting on this (day) is only discussed in this weak Hadith.

In Haashiyah As-Sanady 'Alaa ibn Maajah which is a Sharh of Ibn Maajah, it states that in Az-Zawaa'id it says the isnaad of the Hadeeth is weak, because of the weakness of Ibn Abi Busrah, whom Imaam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal and Yahya Ibn Mu'een Rahimahumallaah had said forges Hadeeth.

And in Takhreej Ahaadeeth Al-Ihyaa Haafidh al-'Iraaqi Rahimahullaah says it is a false (baatil) Hadeeth, its isnaad is weak.

Imaam Ahmad Ar-Ramli Ash-Shaafi'i Rahimahullaah however has an interesting take on the Hadeeth, in Fataawa Ar-Ramli it's mentioned that he was asked concerning fasting on the 15th of Sha'baan. So he said: It is Sunnah, but it is Sunnah because of it being one of the Ayyaamul Beedh (The white days) which Rasoolullaah Sallallaahu 'Alayhi Wa Sallam used to observe, but it is not Sunnah in itself like the fast of the tenth of Muharram, so it will be Sunnah if a person fasts it along with the 13th and 14th as the Ayyaamul Beedh, but not if they fast it just on its own.

The Ayyaamul Beedh are the 13th, 14th and 15th of each month, it is established from the Saheeh Ahaadeeth that Rasoolullaah Sallallaahu 'Alayhi Wa Sallam used to fast on those days, it is reported in Bukhaari and Nasaa'i and the Musnad of Imaam Ahmad and Ibn Hibbaan and Ibn Khuzaimah and others.

There are some 'ulamaa who say it is permissable to fast on the 15th alone, because it has been the practise of the elders to fast on this day, and the fact that they fasted indicates that they regarded it as not weak, and therefore it is permissable.

In conclusion, we learn that fasting on the 15th of Sha'baan alone is not established from the Sunnah, but to fast on the 15th along with the 13th and 14th then there is no harm in that, for that is an established Sunnah, so if a person wants to fast on the 15th of Sha'baan then let him fast the 13th and 14th with it as well and not just on its own.

And Allaah knows best.

"Beware of the people of personal opinion (in Deeni matters), because the people of opinion are the enemy of the Sunnah, they were unable to safeguard the Ahaadeeth, so they speak (in matters of the Deen) with their opinion, so they go astray and they lead others astray."

Forgive me if i appear harsh or tactless at time in my replies, I have a great amount of ghayrah for my deen, thus I am quickly angered when people mistreat it.

Sisters: Please, do not send me pm's or wall messages if it's not for a necessity like a translation or a ruling etc, Jazaakunnallaahu Khayr.

so who here does do shab e baraat, i no there is programmes in my local masjid and all around

Odan

Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad 783 View Post
    Assalmualykum,

Just like to know what people think of shab e baraat and do you follow it as its only people from southAsia who kind of celebrate it. Any hadiths to proove your opinion would be beneficial

Please tell me the meaning of Shab-e-Barat. Shab as I know is not Arabic but a persian word meaning night. -e- meeans of and Baraat cannot be the Urdu word Baaraat meaning bridegroom's arrival at a wedding. And raat is again night in Urdu but ba is prefixed to it so I dont know what it means. Please clarify and tell me what baraat means. If there was some such thing as Shab-e-baraat in Islam there must certainly an Arabic term for that. What is that?
    Worship only the CREATOR, HE is One and HE is the SUSTAINER of the Universe. Do not worship any of HIS creations nor through HIS creations

In the Asian world they say Shab e - Baraat but in Middle East its called Laylat al-Nusf

Its arabic name is "Laylatun nisfi min sha'baan"

Odan

In the Asian world they say Shab e - Baraat but in Middle East its called Laylat al-Nusf
    And what does Al-Nusf mean? Can you give me a reference to some Hadith where it is mentioned?
    Worship only the CREATOR, HE is One and HE is the SUSTAINER of the Universe. Do not worship any of HIS creations nor through HIS creations

Odan

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Mus'ab View Post
    Its arabic name is "Laylatun nisfi min sha'baan"
    Can you give me a reference to some Hadith where it is mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by aboosait View Post
    And what does Al-Nusf mean? Can you give me a reference to some Hadith where it is mentioned?
    Open any of the narrations regarding the 15th of sha'baan and you'll find that term being used.

Can you give me a reference to some Hadith where it is mentioned?
    You can check the one in ibn maajah which i mentioned in that fatwa article above.

Is the term 'Laylatul-bara'ah' ??

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showpost....40&postcount=5

I hope the above is the same as what you guys are on about in here

I'm keeping it as a nafl fast, insha'allah
    When you were born you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you're the one smiling and everyone around you is crying...

I will be honest with you, I do not have any hadiths, I am just a learner like you. I just wanted to know if people do follow it as most people I no do, but I guess thats because I am indian guji

Quote Originally Posted by Treasured Soul View Post
    Is the term 'Laylatul-bara'ah' ??

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showpost....40&postcount=5

I hope the above is the same as what you guys are on about in here

I'm keeping it as a nafl fast, insha'allah
    That's the old fatwa of mufti taqi, he revised that fatwa.

Which is the new one

Odan

........Is the term 'Laylatul-bara'ah' ??......
    If baraa-ah is an Arabic word the following questions arise.

Q1. Why the first word is Prsian and the second word Arabic in Shab-e-Baraat?

Q2. And بَرَآءَةٌ means Freedom from (all) obligations (immunity). So who is granting immunity to whom and from what on that night?

Q2. And بَرَآءَةٌ means Freedom from (all) obligations (immunity). So who is granting immunity to whom and from what on that night?
    Which word is persian and which one is Arabic please

I'm a brother!

I thought I just read this whole thread, but it seems I did not as I seem to have missed why the 15th is important?

Why did the prophet (pbuh) fast on the 13th, 14th, and 15th of shabban?

does everybody have programmes at the masjid

Odan

Which word is persian and which one is Arabic please
    http://www.ummah.com/forum/showpost....5&postcount=10

ok but i dont understand what you really want to know

Account Disabled

[B]In conclusion, we learn that fasting on the 15th of Sha'baan alone is not established from the Sunnah, but to fast on the 15th along with the 13th and 14th then there is no harm in that, for that is an established Sunnah, so if a person wants to fast on the 15th of Sha'baan then let him fast the 13th and 14th with it as well and not just on its own.

And Allaah knows best.
    summed it up very well akhee

Wallahu alam ...

Odan

ok but i dont understand what you really want to know
    Please read again

Which is the new one
    The Fast Of 15th Shaban (Revised opinion of Mufti Taqi Usmani)

By Mufti Taqi Usmani

Q. I have read the Shabaan issue of your magazine Al-BALAGH certain questions are bothering me with regard to fasting on the 15th of Shabaan. I would like to explain the reason for this question. Several months ago a friend explained to me that there is no special significance of the fast of the 15th of Shabaan. However, he says this Hadith is absolutely weak to such an extent that one of its narrators was a person who was regarded by some scholars of Hadith as a fabricator of Hadith and a liar. Hence, he says that, until another reliable Hadith can be found the fast of the 15th of Shabaan has no special virtue. He also explained to me the following points :

(1) He has not come across any of the Fuqaha having even mentioned fasting specifically on the 15th of Shabaan; where as they have mentioned the fasts of Aashura and the six fasts of Shawwal etc.

(2) While it has been narrated in many authentic Ahadith that Rasulullah (S.A.W.) fasted for most of the month of Shabaan, this cannot be used to prove any special significance for the specific fast of the 15th of Shabaan. He told me that those Ahadith must be explained as they are i.e. for the entire month of Shabaan - not the 15th of the month.

(3) The Hadith regarding visiting the graveyard on the 15th of Shabaan is much more authentic and reliable compared to the Hadith regarding fasting on the 15th of Shabaan. However, despite this the Ulema have prohibited the people from making it a habit. Therefore, since a very great number of people observe only the fast of the 15th of Shabaan and regard it as a Sunnah, whereas the Hadith in this regard is absolutely and totally weak, the Ulema should stop the people from this also.

(4) When I suggested that what Harm, can here be if people observed this fast even if in reality it is not Sunnah or even Nafl, he stated: This is the way many Bidat have started (though this practice is not a Bid'ah). Furthermore this is a matter of "Aqeedah" and to regard something as Sunnah which in reality is not Sunnah is a very dangerous and grave matter. Hence it is necessary that either the act be proved Sunnah or else the people should be stopped from this since, if they practice, it they would do so regarding it as a Sunnah.

Hence I now wish to pose my questions.

(1) He has stated that this Hadith is "totally and absolutely weak" whereas Mufti Sahib has stated that "the Scholars of Hadith have some doubts regarding the authenticity of this Hadith." Has he exaggerated in this claim of "totally and
    absolutely weak"?

(2) is it true that one of the narrators was regarded as a fabricator and liar?

(3) Are his arguments in (1),(2),(3) and (4) above correct?

(4) On page 14 Mufti Sahib has written; "Although the scholars of Hadith have some doubts about the authenticity of this report, yet it is mentioned earlier that the fasts of the first half of Shabaan have special merits...." I have not found any narration in the article which explains the special merits of fasting in the first half of Shabaan. All the narrations deal with the fasts of the FIRST HALF of Shabaan, please quote this for me.

(5) Mufti Sahib also stated the practice of the Salaf (elders). Who is meant by "elders"?

(6) If it is accepted that one of the narrators was accused of being a fabricator and a liar did the "Salaf" regard this Hadith as authentic "as is" i.e. despite the condition of this narrator?

(7) Mufti Sahib has stated; "therefore, it is advisable to fast on the 15th of Shabaan as an optional (nafl) fast" Most people regard this fast as "Sunnah" and not nafl. Is in incorrect to regard this fast as Sunnah?

(8) Is this Nafl fast equal to keeping a nafl fast on any other day for example, the 1st of January; whichever Islamic date that may fall on? (excepting Ramadan, the 10th of Muharram, etc)?

I hope Mufti Sahib will quickly answer these questions and remove my doubts and the doubts of many others here in this regard.
    (Yousuf Desai, South Africa)

A. I am grateful to you for your question which provided me with an opportunity to revise my article and to study the subject in more detail. In fact, the fast of the 15th of Shabaan is based on a tradition reported by Sayiddna Ali. Its text runs as follows :

When the Middle Night of Shabaan arrives, you should stand (Praying) in the night and should fast in the day following it.This Hadith is recorded by Ibn Majah in his Sunan, one of the famous six books of Hadith, and also by Baihaqi in his famous book Shu'ab-al-'iman'. Both of them have reported it without any comment about its authenticity. But after a critical analysis of its chain of narrators it is found that this tradition is mainly based on the report of Abu Bakr Ibn Abi Saburah whose narrations cannot be relied upon. That is why the scholars of Hadith have declared it as a weak (da'if) tradition. However, the allegation that the narrator of this Hadith i.e. Abu Bakr ibn Abi Saburah, is a fabricator who used to coin forged traditions does not seem correct. In fact, he was mufti of Madinah, a well-known jurist and he was appointed as a qadi (Judge) of Iraq in the days of Mansur and was succeeded in this office by Imam Abu Yousuf. He was a colleague of Imam Malik.

Once Mansur, the Abbasi Caliph, asked Imam Malik referred to three names, and one of them was that of Ibn Abi Saburah. Had he been a fabricator, Imam Malik would have never referred to his name in this context. But despite his high position among the jurists, his memory was not of the standard required for the uthenticity of a tradition. That is why most of the critics of Hadith like Imam Bukhari etc. Have held him as weak, but did not declare him a fabricator. Only Imam Ahmed is reported to have remarked about him that he fabricates Hadith. But this remark alone is not sufficient to hold him as a fabricator, for two reasons: Firstly Imam Ahmed was born long after him, and his contemporary scholars never held him as such, secondly the Arabic words used by Imam Ahmed are some times used for confusing one tradition with another, and not for deliberate fabrication.

This is the reason why the majority of the scholars of Hadith have held Abu Bakr ibn Abi Saburah as a weak reporter of Hadith, but they did not declare him as a forger or fabricator. Now, coming to his tradition about the fast of the 15th Ramadan it is held by the scholars to be weak but i have not come across an authentic scholar who has treated it as a fabricated (Mawdu) Hadith. There are a number of books indicating the fabricated Ahadith, but this tradition is not included in these books as fabricated.

It is well-known that Ibn Majah consists of about twenty Ahadith held to be fabricated. The list of these fabricated AHadith is available, but the tradition in question is not included therein.

Therefore, the correct position is that this Hadith is not fabricated. However, being reported by a weak narrator, it cannot be relied upon in the matter of the injunctions of Shariah. Thus, the fast of the 15th of Shabaan cannot be termed as Sunnah or Mustahab in the strict sense of the term. Nevertheless, it may be advisable to fast in the 15th of Shabaan without taking it as Sunnah for several reasons:

Firstly it is fully established through a large number of Ahadith that the Holy Prophet (S.A.W.) has emphasized on the merits of fasting in Shabaan, and particularly in the first half of the month. The 15th day of Shabaan, being the last day of the first half, is included in the preferable days for fasting.

Secondly, the merits of the 15th night of Shabaan is established by more than a dozen Ahadith. It means that this night should be spent in prayers and other forms of worship. On the other hand, all the blessed nights which the Muslims are advised to spend in worship are generally followed by fasting on the coming day like in the Laylatul-Qadr, where fasting on the following day is obligatory, or like the first night Zilhijjah where fasting on the following days is optional, rather advisable. on this analogy, too, the 15th night of Shabaan may be followed by an optional fasting on the following day.

Thirdly, the tradition relating to the merits of fasting on 15th of Shabaan is, no doubt, a weak tradition, not competent to prove this practice to be a Sunnah or a formal Mustahabb, but it can be acted upon as a measure of precaution, provided that the practice is not taken as Sunnah or a formal Mustahabb. It is for these reasons that some Ulama and elders have been fasting on the 15th of Shabaan and have been taking it an advisable practice. It is in this context that I had mentioned this fast as advisable in my previous article. But when I revised the article after receiving your question, I now feel that the relevant paragraph may create misunderstanding and it needs clarification. I now armend it in accordance with what is stated above in this article.

Again, I am thankful to you for your letter which enabled me to revise and correct my previous article. May Allah give you the best reward for it.

Quote Originally Posted by nami View Post
    I thought I just read this whole thread, but it seems I did not as I seem to have missed why the 15th is important?

Why did the prophet (pbuh) fast on the 13th, 14th, and 15th of shabban?
    Not only in sha'baan, Rasoolullaah sallallaahu 'Alayhi Wa Sallam used to fast the 13th 14th and 15th of every month.

That's the old fatwa of mufti taqi, he revised that fatwa.
    , I didn't know it has been revised.
    Ya Muqallib al-Quloob, thabbit qalbi 'alaa Deenik
    O' Converter of Hearts, make my heart steadfast upon Thy Way
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

speak good or be silent the_middle_road's Avatar

Assalmualykum,

Wa alaikum salaam wa rahmatullah

The night of the 15th of Sha'baan does have some special significance and it is not just like any other night. This is known through the hadiths which have been related concerning this night. They are not all authentic ahadith but because there are a number of such hadith they establish that this is a special night, despite them being weak. Some people believe that on this night all affairs for the coming year are decided, but according to the majority of scholars that night is actually Lailatul Qadr and not this night under discussion. And Allah ta'ala knows best.

These are the ahadith:

‏ ‏عَائِشَةَ ‏ ‏قَالَتْ ‏
    ‏فَقَدْتُ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ ‏ ‏صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ ‏ ‏لَيْلَةً فَخَرَجْتُ فَإِذَا هُوَ ‏ ‏بِالْبَقِيعِ ‏ ‏فَقَالَ ‏ ‏أَكُنْتِ تَخَافِينَ أَنْ يَحِيفَ اللَّهُ عَلَيْكِ وَرَسُولُهُ قُلْتُ يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ إِنِّي ظَنَنْتُ أَنَّكَ أَتَيْتَ بَعْضَ نِسَائِكَ فَقَالَ إِنَّ اللَّهَ عَزَّ وَجَلَّ يَنْزِلُ لَيْلَةَ النِّصْفِ مِنْ شَعْبَانَ إِلَى السَّمَاءِ الدُّنْيَا فَيَغْفِرُ لِأَكْثَرَ مِنْ عَدَدِ شَعْرِ غَنَمِ ‏ ‏كَلْبٍ ‏

اِعْلَمْ أَنَّهُ قَدْ وَرَدَ فِي فَضِيلَةِ لَيْلَةِ النِّصْفِ مِنْ شَعْبَانَ عِدَّةُ أَحَادِيثَ مَجْمُوعُهَا يَدُلُّ عَلَى أَنَّ لَهَا أَصْلًا , فَمِنْهَا حَدِيثُ الْبَابِ وَهُوَ مُنْقَطِعٌ , وَمِنْهَا حَدِيثُ عَائِشَةَ قَالَتْ : قَامَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ مِنْ اللَّيْلِ فَصَلَّى فَأَطَالَ السُّجُودَ حَتَّى ظَنَنْت أَنَّهُ قَدْ قُبِضَ , فَلَمَّا رَأَيْت ذَلِكَ قُمْت حَتَّى حَرَّكْت إِبْهَامَهُ فَتَحَرَّكَ فَرَجَعَ , فَلَمَّا رَفَعَ رَأْسَهُ مِنْ السُّجُودِ وَفَرَغَ مِنْ صَلَاتِهِ قَالَ : " يَا عَائِشَةُ أَوْ يَا حُمَيْرَاءُ أَظَنَنْت أَنَّ النَّبِيَّ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ قَدْ خَاسَ بِك ؟ " قُلْت : لَا وَاَللَّهِ يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ وَلَكِنِّي ظَنَنْت أَنْ قُبِضْت طُولَ سُجُودِك , قَالَ " أَتَدْرِي أَيَّ لَيْلَةٍ هَذِهِ ؟ " قُلْت : اللَّهُ وَرَسُولُهُ أَعْلَمُ , قَالَ : " هَذِهِ لَيْلَةُ النِّصْفِ مِنْ شَعْبَانَ إِنَّ اللَّهَ عَزَّ وَجَلَّ يَطَّلِعُ عَلَى عِبَادِهِ فِي لَيْلَةِ النِّصْفِ مِنْ شَعْبَانَ فَيَغْفِرُ لِلْمُسْتَغْفِرِينَ وَيَرْحَمُ الْمُسْتَرْحِمِينَ وَيُؤَخِّرُ أَهْلَ الْحِقْدِ كَمَا هُمْ " , رَوَاهُ الْبَيْهَقِيُّ . وَقَالَ هَذَا مُرْسَلٌ جَيِّدٌ وَيُحْتَمَلُ أَنْ يَكُونَ الْعَلَاءُ أَخَذَهُ مِنْ مَكْحُولٍ . قَالَ الْأَزْهَرِيُّ : يُقَالُ لِلرَّجُلِ إِذَا غَدَرَ بِصَاحِبِهِ فَلَمْ يُؤْتِهِ حَقَّهُ قَدْ خاس بِهِ , كَذَا فِي التَّرْغِيبِ وَالتَّرْهِيبِ لِلْحَافِظِ الْمُنْذِرِيِّ . وَمِنْهَا حَدِيثُ مُعَاذِ بْنِ جَبَلٍ رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُ عَنْ النَّبِيِّ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ قَالَ : " يَطَّلِعُ اللَّهُ إِلَى جَمِيعِ خَلْقِهِ لَيْلَةَ النِّصْفِ مِنْ شَعْبَانَ فَيَغْفِرُ لِجَمِيعِ خَلْقِهِ إِلَّا لِمُشْرِكٍ أَوْ مُشَاحِنٍ " , قَالَ الْمُنْذِرِيُّ فِي التَّرْغِيبِ بَعْدَ ذِكْرِهِ : رَوَاهُ الطَّبَرَانِيُّ فِي الْأَوْسَطِ وَابْنُ حِبَّانَ فِي صَحِيحِهِ وَالْبَيْهَقِيُّ , وَرَوَاهُ اِبْنُ مَاجَهْ بِلَفْظِهِ مِنْ حَدِيثِ أَبِي مُوسَى الْأَشْعَرِيِّ وَالْبَزَّارِ وَالْبَيْهَقِيِّ مِنْ حَدِيثِ أَبِي بَكْرٍ الصِّدِّيقِ رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُ بِنَحْوِهِ بِإِسْنَادٍ لَا بَأْسَ بِهِ . اِنْتَهَى كَلَامُ الْمُنْذِرِيِّ . قُلْت : فِي سَنَدِ حَدِيثِ أَبِي مُوسَى الْأَشْعَرِيِّ عِنْدَ اِبْنِ مَاجَهْ عَنْ لَهِيعَةَ وَهُوَ ضَعِيفٌ . ‏
    وَمِنْهَا حَدِيثُ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ بْنِ عَمْرٍو رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُمَا أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ قَالَ : " يَطَّلِعُ اللَّهُ عَزَّ وَجَلَّ إِلَى خَلْقِهِ لَيْلَةَ النِّصْفِ مِنْ شَعْبَانَ فَيَغْفِرُ لِعِبَادِهِ إِلَّا اِثْنَيْنِ مُشَاحِنٍ وَقَاتِلِ نَفْسٍ " , قَالَ الْمُنْذِرِيُّ : رَوَاهُ أَحْمَدُ بِإِسْنَادٍ لَيِّنٍ اِنْتَهَى . ‏
    وَمِنْهَا حَدِيثُ مَكْحُولٍ عَنْ كَثِيرِ بْنِ مُرَّةَ عَنْ النَّبِيِّ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ فِي لَيْلَةِ النِّصْفِ مِنْ شَعْبَانَ : " يَغْفِرُ اللَّهُ عَزَّ وَجَلَّ لِأَهْلِ الْأَرْضِ إِلَّا مُشْرِكٌ أَوْ مُشَاحِنٌ " , قَالَ الْمُنْذِرِيُّ : رَوَاهُ الْبَيْهَقِيُّ وَقَالَ هَذَا مُرْسَلٌ جَيِّدٌ قَالَ : وَرَوَاهُ الطَّبَرَانِيُّ وَالْبَيْهَقِيُّ أَيْضًا عَنْ مَكْحُولٍ عَنْ أَبِي ثَعْلَبَةَ رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُ : أَنَّ النَّبِيَّ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ قَالَ : " يَطَّلِعُ اللَّهُ إِلَى عِبَادِهِ لَيْلَةَ النِّصْفِ مِنْ شَعْبَانَ فَيَغْفِرُ لِلْمُؤْمِنِينَ وَيُمْهِلُ الْكَافِرِينَ وَيَدَعُ أَهْلَ الْحِقْدِ بِحِقْدِهِمْ حَتَّى يَدَعُوهُ " , قَالَ الْبَيْهَقِيُّ : وَهُوَ أَيْضًا بَيْنَ مَكْحُولٍ وَأَبِي ثَعْلَبَةَ مُرْسَلٌ جَيِّدٌ اِنْتَهَى . وَمِنْهَا حَدِيثُ عَلِيٍّ رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُ قَالَ : قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ : " إِذَا كَانَتْ لَيْلَةُ النِّصْفِ مِنْ شَعْبَانَ فَقُومُوا لَيْلَهَا وَصُومُوا نَهَارَهَا فَإِنَّ اللَّهَ يَنْزِلُ فِيهَا لِغُرُوبِ الشَّمْسِ إِلَى السَّمَاءِ الدُّنْيَا فَيَقُولُ أَلَا مِنْ مُسْتَغْفِرٍ فَأَغْفِرَ لَهُ أَلَا مُسْتَرْزِقٌ فَأَرْزُقَهُ أَلَّا مُبْتَلًى فَأُعَافِيَهُ أَلَا كَذَا أَلَا كَذَا حَتَّى يَطْلُعَ الْفَجْرُ " , رَوَاهُ اِبْنُ مَاجَهْ وَفِي سَنَدِهِ أَبُو بَكْرِ بْنُ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ بْنِ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ أَبِي سَبُرَةَ الْقُرَشِيُّ الْعَامِرِيُّ الْمَدَنِيُّ , قِيلَ اِسْمُهُ عَبْدُ اللَّهِ وَقِيلَ مُحَمَّدٌ وَقَدْ يُنْسَبُ إِلَى جَدِّهِ رَمَوْهُ بِالْوَضْعِ كَذَا فِي التَّقْرِيبِ . وَقَالَ الذَّهَبِيُّ فِي الْمِيزَانِ : ضَعَّفَهُ الْبُخَارِيُّ وَغَيْرُهُ . وَرَوَى عَبْدُ اللَّهِ وَصَالِحُ اِبْنَا أَحْمَدَ عَنْ أَبِيهِمَا قَالَ : كَانَ يَضَعُ الْحَدِيثَ , وَقَالَ النَّسَائِيُّ : مَتْرُوكٌ اِنْتَهَى . فَهَذِهِ الْأَحَادِيثُ بِمَجْمُوعِهَا حُجَّةٌ عَلَى مَنْ زَعَمَ أَنَّهُ لَمْ يَثْبُتْ فِي فَضِيلَةِ لَيْلَةِ النِّصْفِ مِنْ شَعْبَانَ شَيْءٌ وَاَللَّهُ تَعَالَى أَعْلَمُ . ‏

The source of this information is 'Tuhfadh al-Ahwadhi' which is an explation of Imam al-Tirmidhi's Sunan.
    "And thus have We willed you to be a community of the middle way."
    (al-Baqarah: 143)

Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam.

Please refer to this thread for many daleels and scholarly opinions in favour of this night.

http://ummah.com/forum/showthread.ph...21#post3379921

Account Disabled

May allah remove the Indian subcontinent of all this khorofaat and misconceptions

Odan

Quote Originally Posted by Sunni Student View Post
    Please refer to this thread for many daleels and scholarly opinions in favour of this night.

http://ummah.com/forum/showthread.ph...21#post3379921
    Jazakallahu khair.

I visited that page and found the post where you have quoted the following statement:

............. Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), urged Muslims to stay up during the night and fast during the day...........
    And the reference for this is according to you:
    Ashraf Ali Thanvi in his Bahishti Zewar (Heavenly Ornaments), part 6, pp 61-62:
    Kindly provide proof of that statement from any authentic book of Hadith where it is stated that Rasoolullah really said that regarding the night and day of 15th of Sa'abaan.

Quote Originally Posted by hamza89 View Post
    May allah remove the Indian subcontinent of all this khorofaat and misconceptions
    and all continents

Jazakallahu khair.

I visited that page and found the post where you have quoted the following statement:

And the reference for this is according to you:

Kindly provide proof of that statement from any authentic book of Hadith where it is stated that Rasoolullah really said that regarding the night and day of 15th of Sa'abaan.
    I would like to see is aswell

i think mufti taqi's latest fatawa on the subject sums it up well.
    The enforcement of Muslim Brotherhood is the greatest social ideal of Islam. On it was based the Prophet's (SAW) sermon on his last pilgrimage, and Islam cannot be completely realized until this ideal is achieved. '
    (Shaikh Maulana Muhammad Yusuf)
    In Lam Takun Ghaadiban Annee Falaa Ubaalee...

Quote Originally Posted by KeeKee View Post
    i think mufti taqi's latest fatawa on the subject sums it up well.

yes but its still a grey area, as being a guji like me you are aware of what our community is like, I think sometimes in life if you are unsure about something you should stay away

Account Disabled

yes but its still a grey area, as being a guji like me you are aware of what our community is like, I think sometimes in life if you are unsure about something you should stay away
    Can we call it the "Battle of the Fatwas"?