Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Salat in a car or train

i received this in an email, it quotes sheikh munajid, but it was from qardawis islamonline page

just thought i would share it, abu mubarak

Assalamu-Alaikum,

I am forwarding to you from Islam Online (http://www.islamonline.net/fatwaappl...FatwaID=101493) an important Fatwa(Legal opinion of Alim(s) on "Performing Prayer in a Car" for your information and use.

Yours sincerely,

Shah Abdul Hannan

Title
    Performing Prayer in a Car
    Question
    Dear scholars! As-Salamu Alaykum! If the time of Prayer is due and I have wudu' but I am in my car or in the train, can I offer my Prayer? Please enlighten me on this issue! Jazakum Allah Khairan!
    Date
    15/Jul/2003
    Mufti
    Sheikh MuhammadSalehAl-Munajjid

Answer

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.
    Dear questioner, we would like to thank you for the great confidence you place in us, and we implore Allah Almighty to help us serve His cause and render our work for His Sake.
    In the first place, we would like to make it clear that a Muslim is always eager to perform his Prayer at its due to time, without any delay or hesitation, as Almighty Allah commands us.
    Coming to your question, we would like to cite for you the following fatwa issued by Sheikh Muhammad Saleh Al-Munajjid, a prominent Saudi scholar and lecturer:
    Praying in cars, planes, trains or other means of conveyance, where one cannot face the direction of the qiblah or pray standing, is not permissible in the case of obligatory Prayers unless two conditions are met:
    1. If you fear that the time for the obligatory Prayer will end before reaching your destination. But if you will reach your destination before the time for Prayer is over, you should wait until you get there to pray.
    2. If it is not possible to get off and pray on the ground. If it is possible to do so, then you must do that.
    If these two conditions are met, then it is permissible to pray in the vehicle. The evidence for it being permissible to pray in this case is the general meaning of the verses in which Allah says: “and [Allah] has not laid upon you in religion any hardship” (Al-Hajj: 78)
    If it is said, If I am allowed to pray in these vehicles, should I face the qiblah and should I pray sitting even though I am able to stand? The answer is:
    If you are able to face the direction of the qiblah throughout the Prayer, then you must do that, because it is a condition of an obligatory Prayer being valid whether one is traveling or not.
    If it is not possible to face the qiblah throughout the Prayer, then fear Allah as much as you can and do your best, because of the evidence narrated above.
    This has to do with obligatory Prayers. With regard to supererogatory (nafl) Prayers, the matter is more relaxed. It is permissible for the Muslim to pray in the vehicles mentioned no matter what direction they are facing, even if he could get down on the ground at some times, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) used to pray nafl Prayers on his mount no matter what direction it was facing. Jabir narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) “used to pray voluntary Prayers when he was riding without facing the qiblah.” (Narrated by al-Bukhari) But it is better to face the qiblah when starting to pray a nafl Prayer, if that is possible when traveling.
    With regard to offering obligatory Prayers sitting down when one is able to stand, that is not permissible because of the general meaning of the verse in which Allah says: “And stand before Allah with obedience” (Al-Baqarah :238)
    And because of the Hadith of `Imran ibn Husayn, according to which the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said to him: “Pray standing; if you cannot, then sitting; and if you cannot then lying on your side.” (Narrated by al-Bukhari).
    Excerpted, with slight modifications, from: www.islam-qa.com
    Allah Almighty knows best.

.لا نر زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
    نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد

Excerpted, with slight modifications, from: www.islam-qa.com

from what i understand they do not allow posting their fatwas unless unadulterated, which this article clearly isnt. however, maybe they retained permission from islam-qa.com to alter or modify the fatwa, i dont know, but just a warning be careful with this article.

i would just like to add, not in any kind of equal footing with the above, but just something to think about in light of the above, that if the traveling by plane or car is a regular thing in which we would have to perpetually alter the obligatory salaat by sitting, or not facing the Qiblah, then we should fear Allah AWJ and change our activities to avoid coming into conflict with the requirements for salaat. However, if it is the case of a non-routine circumstance then it is better to perform the salaat then to miss its time.
    “Ibn Khuwayz Mindadh [d. 390H] said: ‘And as for obedience to authority … we say of the rulers of our time it is not permissible to obey them, assist them, or venerate them; it IS obligatory to wage Jihad alongside them when they wage battle, [to accept] judgment from them, and the appointment of leaders, weights and measurements- establishment of that is from the standpoint of the Shari’ah’.”