Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

hadith about education and women

Salaam

I need to find a hadith about women and education. I think there is one that says something along the lines of ' it is the duty of every muslim (male and female) to acquire knowledge ' but if anyone knows it or could check it or something insha allah, that would be really good
    I tried to searching but I couldn't find it...I'm sure I remember that from somewhere tho
    I jus want it cuz my friend's world history textbook was implying that muslim sisters cant b educated and implied that we dont know anything except cooking / cleaning

anna
    .: Rufaida :.
    .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.

“People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
    but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
    ~ Ibn Atallah

Omar
    Guests
    assalammualkaum sister.

I found a website where you can download some articals about womens rights in islam:

http://www.irf.net/irf/download/index.htm

its by doctor Zakir Naik its called WOMEN'S RIGHTS IN ISLAM – MODERNISING OR OUTDATED? – PART-I

there are two parts to it. its a verbalisation of a talk he gave enjoy reading it.

laterz sis

~remember 7.11~
    Salaam sister..

I'm not sure whether you're asking about religious knowledge or what can be considered as 'worldly' knowledge, I guess?

"Iqra" as is well known was the first word of the revelation to our Prophet. Therefore we are all commanded to read and learn. However, this learning comes with a condition, "bismi Rabbika." We must learn in the name of our Lord, with the intention of becoming closer to Him and pleasing Him. Therefore both women and men are commanded to learn, so long as their quest for qnowledge is aimed at pleasing Allah and working for His pleasure for Allah created us for no other reason but to worship Him. It is in no way permissible for a Muslim woman to simply fulfill her chores as a housewife and remain completely ignorant of her religious duties other than the basic ones. Aisha (ra) was the greatest scholar in religion first, then in medicine and literature. Her knowledge exceeds that of womankind's combined knowledge. The ashab of the Prophet (saw) used to come to Aisha (ra) to seek knowledge, both religious and otherwise. As Muslim women we obligated to look upto the mothers of believers and follow their example. It is an obligation for every single Muslim, man and woman, to seek knowledge, first religious and then the sciences and such.

And since you asked for a specific hadith, I found two pertaining directly to women in Shahih Bukhari:

Volume 1, Book 3, Number 97g

Narrated Ibn 'Abbas:

Once Allah's Apostle came out while Bilal was accompanying him. He went towards the women thinking that they had not heard him (i.e. his sermon). So he preached them and ordered them to pay alms. (Hearing that) the women started giving alms; some donated their ear-rings, some gave their rings and Bilal was collecting them in the corner of his garment.

Volume 1, Book 3, Number 101:

Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri:

Some women requested the Prophet to fix a day for them as the men were taking all his time. On that he promised them one day for religious lessons and commandments. Once during such a lesson the Prophet said, "A woman whose three children die will be shielded by them from the Hell fire." On that a woman asked, "If only two die?" He replied, "Even two (will shield her from the Hell-fire)."

Volume 1, Book 3, Number 103

Narrated Ibn Abu Mulaika:

Whenever 'Aisha (the wife of the Prophet) heard anything which she did not understand, she used to ask again till she understood it completely. Aisha said: "Once the Prophet said, "Whoever will be called to account (about his deeds on the Day of Resurrection) will surely be punished." I said, "Doesn't Allah say: "He surely will receive an easy reckoning." (84.8) The Prophet replied, "This means only the presentation of the accounts but whoever will be argued about his account, will certainly be ruined."

Source: Sahih Bukhari

jazakallahu khayrun for the replies

~ Ibn Atallah

selfbanned4indefinitetime abdulhakeem's Avatar
    perhaps this is the one you are searching for:

there is one hadeeth narrated by ibn maajah from the hadeeth of anas ibn maalik who said:

the messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "seeking knowledge is obligatory upon every Muslim"

classed as saheeh by sheikh al-albaani in saheeh sunan ibn maajah. what is meant here is knowledge of shari'ah or islamic knowledge. Allahu a'lam.

Originally posted by abdulhakeem
    perhaps this is the one you are searching for:

there is one hadeeth narrated by ibn maajah from the hadeeth of anas ibn maalik who said:

the messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "seeking knowledge is obligatory upon every Muslim"

classed as saheeh by sheikh al-albaani in saheeh sunan ibn maajah. what is meant here is knowledge of shari'ah or islamic knowledge. Allahu a'lam.
    salaam

yessss thats what I was thinking of I think. jazakallahu khayrun bro

~ Ibn Atallah

selfbanned4indefinitetime abdulhakeem's Avatar
    Don’t limit learning, Muslims told

KUALA LUMPUR: Muslims should strive to acquire all kinds of knowledge and not just those pertaining to religion, said Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi.

He said Islam demanded from its followers a comprehensive understanding of man, his environment and creator.

“Knowledge should never be limited to fardhu ain (knowledge about the faith) but should include science and technology, mathematics, astronomy, information technology, computer and so on,” he said at the opening of the national khat or Islamic calligraphy competition at the Islamic Arts Museum yesterday.

His speech was delivered by Women and Family Development Minister Datuk Seri Shahrizat Abdul Jalil.

Abdullah said Islam placed knowledge as the foundation of its civilisation.

He said Prophet Muhammad urged Muslims to acquire knowledge even from faraway lands and “from the cradle to the grave.”

He said the Government encouraged Muslims to learn Arabic besides Bahasa Melayu and English.

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story...783&sec=nation