Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Icon7 Why do muslim women have to wear the hijab?

Salam to all,

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed and continues to be discussed amongst all muslims especially amongst muslim women, islamic clothing for women bascially hijab. I know that it portrays modesty and that it allows others to see you as a human being that has a mind so that a woman will not be judged based on her looks but on what she has to say. As well I have heard it's also a way of discerning a muslim from a non-muslim.

I agree with all of this. However, I know this is going to come off as pretty childish but it's something I just need to say and need to find out. I know in the eyes of Allah all people are created equal. But as you and I know we live in a age of beauty. There seems to be a standard of beauty but also there are people who are beautiful and well people who are...how shall I say it not pretty. I'm only referring to woman here because it's about islamic wear for women. Now of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I really believe in that and that's how it should be. But let me tell you a personal story. I am an overweight woman. I do not find myself attractive. I do not wear hijab but i also dress modestly. I wear skirts below the knee, I do not show cleavage, overall I avoid wearing revealing clothing and just plain feel uncomfortable in them. However, I try my best to wear modest clothes that are chic and in fashion. I do not wear hijab and when I go into the streets men never look at me yet my hair isn't covered, i may be wearing a skirt and a t-shirt and sometimes a lot of makeup if I'm going out. It could most likely be that I may not be attractive to them. So my point is that if someone is not attractive they will not be looked at. Of course if someone wears extremely revealing clothing they will be looked out because they stand out and it's not normal to see a woman walking around in a bikini in city streets. So my question is, if I am not attractive why do I have to wear hijab it's not like men are looking at me and why do i have to wear hijab to identify myself as muslim. I mean I am muslim for me and not for others and if someone asks me then I will tell them.

My second question is, I find that you cannot be fashionable with hijab. I know there are hijabs that are designed to be fashionable but from my perspective it still looks plane. I want to be able to wear cute summer dresses that are modest for example. I want to be able to let my hair down and style it, I want to be able to wear the newest fashions and hair-dos because it makes me feel good. I live in the western world and let me tell you most guys do not look and i think the reason being is that seeing women all the time in clothing that is considered non-modest from an islamic perspective they have become used to it and has become the norm. Also I find that men or people in general do not treat me different because my hair is showing they respect me and my opinion. So I think in this age covering everything but our hands feet and face is not necessary. I think dressing modestly and appropriately is fine.
    What do others think? Am I looking at this from the wrong perspective?

Thanks

Re: Why do muslim women have to wear the hijab?

It shows the woman has self respect instead of going to the beach wearing a thong and showing pleasure to other men. ^^
    Allah is the one God
    and Mohammad is his prophet

“O you Children of Adam! We have bestowed on you raiment to cover your shame as well as to be an adornment to you. But the raiment of righteousness, that is the best. Such are among the Signs of Allah, that they may receive admonition.” (Quran 7:26)

“And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what must ordinarily appear therof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands’ fathers, their sons, their husbands’ sons, their brothers, or their brothers’ sons or their sisters’ sons, or their women or the servants whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex, and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O you Believers, turn you all together towards Allah, that you may attain Bliss.” (Quran 24:31).

“O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks close round them (when they go abroad). That will be better, so that they may be recognised and not annoyed. Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful.” (Quran 33:59)
    ‘…Verily Allah sent the Messenger with the Deen of guidance and truth in order to dominate over all other Deens (i.e. religions; such as Christianity, Hinduism and Judaism and ideologies; such as capitalism and Communism) even if the idolaters dislike it…’

‘…Verily Allah sent the Messenger with the Deen of guidance and truth in order to dominate over all other Deens (i.e. religions; such as Christianity, Hinduism and Judaism and ideologies; such as capitalism and Communism) even if the idolaters dislike it…’

Quote Originally Posted by ninja iwk View Post
    It shows the woman has self respect instead of going to the beach wearing a thong and showing pleasure to other men. ^^
    Thanks for your response but clearly you didn't read it or understand it. Because I specifically said wearing modest clothing without necessarily wearing islamic wear. Where did I say bikini???

Quote Originally Posted by ana_mujahid View Post
    “O you Children of Adam! We have bestowed on you raiment to cover your shame as well as to be an adornment to you. But the raiment of righteousness, that is the best. Such are among the Signs of Allah, that they may receive admonition.” (Quran 7:26)

“And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what must ordinarily appear therof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands’ fathers, their sons, their husbands’ sons, their brothers, or their brothers’ sons or their sisters’ sons, or their women or the servants whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex, and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O you Believers, turn you all together towards Allah, that you may attain Bliss.” (Quran 24:31).

“O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks close round them (when they go abroad). That will be better, so that they may be recognised and not annoyed. Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful.” (Quran 33:59)
    When it says "not display their beauty" how can that be interpreted??? That's what I never understood, where exactly does it say that women need to cover everything except their hands, face and feet. Also can't the face be considered beautiful does that mean women have to cover their face too?
    Also if a muslim women doesn't wear hijab but dresses modestly ie. not provocatively, will she go to hell?

Finding my way.. good questions

Perhaps I can answer them for you as a muslimah who wears hijaab and comes from a non muslim background .. ie I became a muslim

I wear hijaab first and foremost because as has been posted it's a command from Allah SWT .. He says I should wear it.. and I wear it with pride as His slave. When I put on the hijaab to go outside.. not just the scarf but outer coverings that are loose fitting.. I wear them with pride.

In my own home i dress like any other woman... but there is a special sense of connection with Allah to go everywhere and to wear the hijaab in obedience to Him.

Why does He ask me to wear it.. He knows best..but I am wearing it as well as a protection for brothers who have been told to lower their gaze around women. Why do we not wear the more fashionable style that some suggest would make us more acceptable in society? .simply because that defeats the purpose of hijaab. The idea is to draw attention away from ourselves and not to ourselves

Some say well wouldn't "blending in with the crowd".. mean less persecution for wearing it.. specially in todays society which looks down on the hijaab as a symbol of something to be feared.

My reply to that is.. I am protecting my Muslim brothers when I wear hijaab and protecting my honour for my husband. I am not wearing hijaab to be a crowd pleaser.. i am wearing it for a much higher purpose.

There is a special sense of connection every hijaabed woman feels when she is shopping or out somewhere and sees her sisters .. those she doesnt know, but by the wearing of the hijaab, there is a shared sense of sisterhood that cannot exist in the world amongst non muslim women.. and Allah knows best
    .The Prophet sal Allahu alaiyhi wa sallam said, “I guarantee a house in Jannah for one who gives up arguing, even if he is in the right; and I guarantee a home in the middle of Jannah for one who abandons lying even for the sake of fun; and I guarantee a house in the highest part of Jannah for one who has good manners.”
    http://jameelah61.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by FindingMyWay View Post
    When it says "not display their beauty" how can that be interpreted??? That's what I never understood, where exactly does it say that women need to cover everything except their hands, face and feet. Also can't the face be considered beautiful does that mean women have to cover their face too?
    Also if a muslim women doesn't wear hijab but dresses modestly ie. not provocatively, will she go to hell?
    I think my previous post answered most of this.. and yes I cover everything except my hands and my face when I am in public.. and even the choice of colours I wear is designed where possible to detract not attract attention.

Some sisters wear makeup with hijaab.. most of us don't .. we do not want to draw attention to those parts of our body which men can see.
    .The Prophet sal Allahu alaiyhi wa sallam said, “I guarantee a house in Jannah for one who gives up arguing, even if he is in the right; and I guarantee a home in the middle of Jannah for one who abandons lying even for the sake of fun; and I guarantee a house in the highest part of Jannah for one who has good manners.”

Account Disabled

MashaAllah carol

Morris
    Guests

I agree with all of this. However, I know this is going to come off as pretty childish but it's something I just need to say and need to find out. I know in the eyes of Allah all people are created equal. But as you and I know we live in a age of beauty. There seems to be a standard of beauty but also there are people who are beautiful and well people who are...how shall I say it not pretty. I'm only referring to woman here because it's about islamic wear for women. Now of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I really believe in that and that's how it should be. But let me tell you a personal story. I am an overweight woman. I do not find myself attractive. I do not wear hijab but i also dress modestly. I wear skirts below the knee, I do not show cleavage, overall I avoid wearing revealing clothing and just plain feel uncomfortable in them. However, I try my best to wear modest clothes that are chic and in fashion. I do not wear hijab and when I go into the streets men never look at me yet my hair isn't covered, i may be wearing a skirt and a t-shirt and sometimes a lot of makeup if I'm going out. It could most likely be that I may not be attractive to them. So my point is that if someone is not attractive they will not be looked at. Of course if someone wears extremely revealing clothing they will be looked out because they stand out and it's not normal to see a woman walking around in a bikini in city streets. So my question is, if I am not attractive why do I have to wear hijab it's not like men are looking at me and why do i have to wear hijab to identify myself as muslim. I mean I am muslim for me and not for others and if someone asks me then I will tell them.

Are you are recent convert of a 'Euro-merican'? If you are I think you should look into your revelant people's history. Women never used to be judged on their looks. They were prized for their inner qualities and their looks/attractiveness was an entirely personal and private thing between them and their husbands.

This looks thing is ridiculous. You are a woman and not an ornament.

Your religion (as I have learned) tells you to cover for modesty's sake and you will then not be judged on your looks either but for your entirely personal human qualities.

Account Disabled

In one tradition, the Prophet Muhammad is quoted as saying: "...If the
    woman reaches the age of puberty, no part of her body should be seen but this --- and he pointed to his face and hands."

Quote Originally Posted by Morris View Post
    Are you are recent convert of a 'Euro-merican'? If you are I think you should look into your revelant people's history. Women never used to be judged on their looks. They were prized for their inner qualities and their looks/attractiveness was an entirely personal and private thing between them and their husbands.

This looks thing is ridiculous. You are a woman and not an ornament.

Your religion (as I have learned) tells you to cover for modesty's sake and you will then not be judged on your looks either but for your entirely personal human qualities.
    Actually I'm not euro-american and not a recent convert. I am iranian and was always muslim.
    Okay I really do not thing you are grasping what I am trying to get across. I live in the western world and I know for a fact that when I dress modestly but not in islamic wear people still respect me. They listen to be and are polite to me, both women and men alike. So AGAIN I am asking that if I do not get negative attention from men or even women because I dress modestly but do not follow islamic wear ie. cover my hair then is it still a problem. And I do not thing looks are ridiculous. When someone takes care of themselves by wearing nice and modest clothes that shows that they care about themselves. I never said I was an ornament I mentioned this, and by the way this is the THIRD time I will be saying this, I wear clothes that make me happy. I do not dress for other people.

Quote Originally Posted by carol_au View Post
    I think my previous post answered most of this.. and yes I cover everything except my hands and my face when I am in public.. and even the choice of colours I wear is designed where possible to detract not attract attention.

Some sisters wear makeup with hijaab.. most of us don't .. we do not want to draw attention to those parts of our body which men can see.
    Thanks but you didn't answer my question, especially the last part about going to hell if you don't necessarily follow islamic wear but dress modestly, but againt thanks for the info your provided me

Also, I feel as though it's really sad that men as seen as pigs that can't control their urges in islam. You keep saying draw attention away but it's not all about how you dress it's also your demeanor. You can still dress modestly and be respected by men and women alike. Also I find it really sad that it's mainly the women's part to dress in a way so that a few men will not be distracted. I know both men and women should lower their gaze but if I am not respected for what I am wearing then I feel bad for men that they are so primitive in their thinking that they cannot control themselves. That's how I think islam is portraying men, well at least in the eyes of many and yes many people feel this way not just me. Also I live in canada and a young muslim women who was covered in hijab and was raped at a university. What about that?
    If a person has a sick mind to them it doesnt matter how a woman is dressed, it's not the women's job to control the mind of men. Why should I live my life going around worrying about how men are looking at me. God gave us a conscious and mind and it's up to us to use it. A woman should not be held accountable for the thoughts and actions of others.

I am in no way attacking your point of view. I decided to add this last part to it so I can avoid making a new post.

Thanks but you didn't answer my question, especially the last part about going to hell if you don't necessarily follow islamic wear but dress modestly, but againt thanks for the info your provided me

Also, I feel as though it's really sad that men as seen as pigs that can't control their urges in islam. You keep saying draw attention away but it's not all about how you dress it's also your demeanor. You can still dress modestly and be respected by men and women alike. Also I find it really sad that it's mainly the women's part to dress in a way so that a few men will not be distracted. I know both men and women should lower their gaze but if I am not respected for what I am wearing then I feel bad for men that they are so primitive in their thinking that they cannot control themselves. That's how I think islam is portraying men, well at least in the eyes of many and yes many people feel this way not just me. Also I live in canada and a young muslim women who was covered in hijab and was raped at a university. What about that?
    If a person has a sick mind to them it doesnt matter how a woman is dressed, it's not the women's job to control the mind of men. Why should I live my life going around worrying about how men are looking at me. God gave us a conscious and mind and it's up to us to use it. A woman should not be held accountable for the thoughts and actions of others.

I am in no way attacking your point of view. I decided to add this last part to it so I can avoid making a new post.
    its not like that at all we are not covering so men wont rape us and to look dowdy so they will find us unattractive as if men are some kind of beasts before women who cant control themselves. its as morris explained in the post before, women are valued for who they are not how they look.
    "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Again, I think the first part of my post answers your question. Islam makes perfect sense.. does it seem strange that a woman is asked by Allah to cover herself? We have given you the human reasons we cover..but I also gave you one other.. this is a command from Allah SWT.. the Creator of the Universe. On a human level your questions are perfectly legitimate.. but as I said in my last post.. we serve a higher purpose in our wearing hijaab. '

I do not don the hijaab each day so that I can protect my honour or help my brothers lower their gaze.. that is the secondary component. I put my hijaab on every day as an act of love and obedience to my Creator.

If I can't obey Him in something as simple and easy on my life as this.. how am I ever going to obey Him in the more difficult things?

See, the world sees wearing hijjab as a problem for us.. as something to feel sorry for us about.. but Muslim women don't see it like that at all. It's an honour to wear hijaab .. and the connection with Allah and with other sisters .. far outstrips any minor inconvenience to the point we don't even think about it.

perhaps this clip will help you understand.. and for my brothers reading this.. it was on television, but be aware there are non muslim uncovered females in the clip.. May Allah SWT bless and reward the sister for her beautiful and courageous comments ameen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX52IjKYxCg

on the last part of your question.. please remember we in Islam believe in judgement .. judgement of actions and intentions. We see our purpose in life is to worship our Creator.. we are created to do that.. and if you want to learn more.. go to learn about Islam and the brothers will help you there.. but please remember.. it's not about whether or not I wear hijaab.. in the end it's about whether or not I love my Creator enough and desire to please and worship Him enough to obey Him even in this part of my life.

As the sister says in the clip I posted.. "it makes me feel I can compromise on everything but my religion" for the sake of Allah.
    Last edited by carol_au; 21-06-09 at 08:06 PM.

i havent really got much to say but this:- themost precious jewls in the world are stored away behind glass/boxxes etc ie behind the hijaab, same applies to our muslim sisters they are our jewls of the ummah and likewise precious and we all know that with precious jewls we always cover them in hijaab to protect them.

Findingmyway, are you here to learn or just question and reject?? Everyone here has been trying there best to answer your questions but you always come back unsatisfied with there responses

Quote Originally Posted by *Aisha View Post
    Findingmyway, are you here to learn or just question and reject?? Everyone here has been trying there best to answer your questions but you always come back unsatisfied with there responses
    So did I before my reversion.. there are many questions in people's minds.. and they are not going to be opened and answered by a few questions. I can understand the questions.. many of them I had myself.

It is Allah SWT who guides.. we are told to call and give the message.. May Allah SWT give us the words that will guide when people question us on these things.

ameen

"lets not ask CNN how a muslim woman feels.." theres a thread here with clips about hijab and women in islam

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170460
    "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

See the thing is she is muslim and shes questions the same way in the "should genders mix thread". Soo thats why I asked her that. Even when they provide explanations she still questions like she just wants to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by `asiya View Post
    "lets not ask CNN how a muslim woman feels.." theres a thread here with clips about hijab and women in islam

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170460
    Ohh very good ukhti for bumping it up

Quote Originally Posted by *Aisha View Post
    See the thing is she is muslim and shes questions the same way in the "should genders mix thread". Soo thats why I asked her that. Even when they provide explanations she still questions like she just wants to argue.
    We are not to question their intention.. just to give the message.. I for one love sharing why I wear hijaab. I recently saw a sister in the US revert.. it was the sticking point for her.. she had similar questions to FMW.. once she talked in detail about these things with Muslimahs the last thing holding her back from Shahada was removed by the Mercy of Allah

Non Muslims have huge hurdles to overcome.. believe me we were brainwashed into seeing things wrong in every part of this religion of ours. People growing up in a western society and without knowledge of Allah in their lives as a controlling influence .. will never easily understand what comes easy and makes sense to us.

It took me 5 years .. and it was a long and painful journey as i had to confront so much that was in my life during that time in order to be willing to make the change..

I ask Allah SWT to guide FMW and all others asking the same questions to the truth in a way they can appreciate

ameen

Quote Originally Posted by carol_au View Post
    We are not to question their intention.. just to give the message.. I for one love sharing why I wear hijaab. I recently saw a sister in the US revert.. it was the sticking point for her.. she had similar questions to FMW.. once she talked in detail about these things with Muslimahs the last thing holding her back from Shahada was removed by the Mercy of Allah

Non Muslims have huge hurdles to overcome.. believe me we were brainwashed into seeing things wrong in every part of this religion of ours. People growing up in a western society and without knowledge of Allah in their lives as a controlling influence .. will never easily understand what comes easy and makes sense to us.

It took me 5 years .. and it was a long and painful journey as i had to confront so much that was in my life during that time in order to be willing to make the change..

I ask Allah SWT to guide FMW and all others asking the same questions to the truth in a way they can appreciate

ameen

That is great ukhti and you are right,I just dont like to see arguing,sorry

Alhumdullilah for being able to get past all those troubles

Also I live in canada and a young muslim women who was covered in hijab and was raped at a university. What about that?

Sister,in Canada hi jab and niqaab are big problem for them.Actually there problem is Muslims specially Muslim women(not only in Canada but France too and now it is becoming common everywhere)

This is how a person can be stopped from wearing hijab or niqab.You might be knowing that lot of protests took place in france when they talked about banning hijab.

Still in many universities in Canada,France women wearing hijab are always insulted not only by students but also by professors and many girls because of these things remove hijab and niqaab too(because they cant tolerate all this insult.Many of them do wear but they get some stupid comments from street boys

"why are u wearing hi jab?what are you trying to hide?you don't have hairs?is it because of that ?"

This is the way they use words and this is how Muslim girls can be moved away from wearing hijab and many do remove(and the enemies of Islam succeed)

but many of them still don't.alhamdulillah.

And sister it seems that you have more knowledge about psychology than other sisters on this forum.You understand in a very good manner about both men and women.You still ask questions from sisters?

And many of them say that as Allah had ordered us so they have to wear.When Allah has said something it is for human benefit only and has some advantages too.Do you think Allah will say you to do something that can be harmful to you?Or do you think that Allah doesn't love you?

Then you can also ask questions why pig is haraam in Islam?

Muslims didn't eat because Allah has said it is haraam.They didn't eat it just because Quran has said that.

But today the studies has proved that after eating pig humans can get lot of diseases and secondly it also eats human wastes,live in dirt.

Today many diseases are arising from pig and pig is treated like a domestic animal in many countries(specially European)

And many other questions do come in mind too?

Sister clearing our misconception or asking questions related to Islam is not bad but we should understand and we should also find out reason why Allah has said that this thing is wrong or this thing is right but along with that following his teachings too.

Europe says it has given freedom and more respect to women.What respect?when many are raped every day in fact every second in America.She is not given that much respect or care.Have the case studies?find out the reality?find out why Islam has given this to us.

Islam will never impose or force on us anything.It teaches us that this is good and this is bad.If we want to accept ,fine.if we don't want to it is up to us.But just think?

The one who created you,doesn't He has any right on you?The one to whom you and us all have to return doesn't he has the right?

May Allah give us all hidayat and courage to follow right path as we humans are never perfect and keep on doing mistakes.ameen
    Last edited by ENIGM; 21-06-09 at 08:39 PM.

So my question is, if I am not attractive why do I have to wear hijab it's not like men are looking at me and why do i have to wear hijab to identify myself as muslim.

So I think in this age covering everything but our hands feet and face is not necessary. I think dressing modestly and appropriately is fine.
    Wa alaykum assalaam

I think the simple answer to your first question is because Allah swt commanded all women to do so in the Qur'an. The qur'an does not list exceptions such as if your not attractive etc. So we must comply with it, we cannot create our own exceptions. And remember Allah swt does not does not do or command anything arbitrarily, oppressively or without wisdom.

For your 2nd point, Islam is for all days and ages. We cannot alter it to fit in what we think is appropriate or not. Allah swt knows best what is appropriate, afterall he created us, who knows better as to what is best for us?

Hope thats helped :]