Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Can I chage my nickname? Psychofak's Avatar

Mysterious scratches on arms

Assalamu 'Alykum wr.

Does anyone know anything about strange scratches appearing on the body, during daytime as well as night?

My sister's left arm has a lot of these sinister scrathes, most are a couple of inches long and very thin. There are a lot of marks left on her arm. She has just showed me a fresh scratch and says she doesn't know how they get there.

We (her family) all thought it might be her unconciously scratching herself, etc, but it really does seem like these scratches are appearing by themselves.

Just want to check if anyone has heard about anything like this before.
    Rabee A'oodhu bika Min Hamazat Ashayateen Wa Aoodhu bika Rabee An Yahduroon

Re: Mysterious scratches on arms

Allah knows best, could she be self harming ? scratches and marks dont just come from nowhere..
    "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Can I chage my nickname? Psychofak's Avatar

Very unlikely. We're really not the kind of family that would have that sort of thing going on, alhamdulillah.
    In any case, the marks are very thin and it won't be much 'harming' being done by a self harmer in doing that.

I just checked up a few old old threads on different forums and there are a few others who have the same problem.

She's mentioned often she feels the scratch and then finds the mark there on her arm.
    Rabee A'oodhu bika Min Hamazat Ashayateen Wa Aoodhu bika Rabee An Yahduroon

Wa'laikum Al-Salam,

As sis Asiya said, stay on the lookout for self-harm, it's a classic sympton.

And watch out for scratching and biting whilst she's asleep. She won't know she's doing it, and they'll look like they're appearing out of the blue.

Final thing to watch out for - maybe they're not scratches, maybe they're bruises/other damage to skin - in which case perhaps she has an undiagnosed skin disorder? Go to a doctor, and if you've definitely ruled out her scratching herself then ask to see a dermatologist.
    ...sermons from this minbar come with tongue planted quite firmly in cheek.

"Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need -
    a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends,
    worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you,
    a cat, a dog, and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear,
    and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing."

-- Jerome K. Jerome
    (Three Men in a Boat)

Sabr & Shukr is the key! Ur sis in Islam's Avatar

Smiling is Sadaqah! So SMILE

A woman of real beauty smiles in trouble, gathers strength through distress and grows brave by prayer...

Bring on the trumpets Bint_Ibrahim's Avatar

lol i thought i was the only one! i scratch when i'm sleeeping and wake up and find scars all over! lol esp. on my hands as i have exzema there...at first i thought it was coming from no where but my sis has seen me in action lol...but i'm just weird like that

hmm thats weird i have the same thing i wake up some mornings and have scratches/cuts on my arms and chest sometimes lol first blamed my cat but he doesnt sleep on my bed no more and still get them lol subhanallah but allah knows best but to be honest not really bothered it doesnt affect me alhamdullilah

It could be done during dreams or during sleep in general. I had a scratch right in the middle of my chest. Pretty long. Took two months... or maybe two years, I can't really remember, to get heal the scars.

I suspect some vigorous scratching during sleep for myself. If your sister has especially long fingernails, that could be it.
    ~ Verily, with every difficulty comes relief ~

Account Disabled

^^^ makes sense, anything can happen when u have deep sleep, there's psychological explanations on this, can't remember tho.
    Last edited by Supernova Nebula; 07-06-09 at 05:00 AM.

Assalam Aleikum Brother/Sister,

This is really shocking and strange and in fact in my family also, some of us get these scratches as well usually in certain patterns like 2 almost parallel scratches with 1 scratch cutting across...length around 2-3 inches and sometimes they are deep. I was really disturbed when it happened last night to my 6 month old daughter on her foot which stretched across the whole foot....not sure how to explain this...because from the medical and scientific point of view I could not yet find any solid evidence that would explain this phenomena.....and most amazing fact is that my child did not cry......I have strong faith in Allah Subhaana wa' ta'ala....and May Allah guide us and protect us from all the sufferings and devilish deeds...Aameen

Suheb

Quote Originally Posted by suhebakmal View Post

some of us get these scratches as well usually in certain patterns like 2 almost parallel scratches with 1 scratch cutting across...length around 2-3 inches and sometimes they are deep. I was really disturbed when it happened last night to my 6 month old daughter on her foot which stretched across the whole foot....not sure how to explain this...

Suheb
    Assalaamu alaykum recently my daughter has been getting these mysterious scratches and i have dismissed them
    as insect bites, even though insects dont bite in that manner or leave 3 inch scratches.

Ive also noticed that anyone who sleeps in her bed has extremely disturbing nightmares, even after ayahtul kursi and three quls.

There is also a lot of paronormal activitiy on our street, and I myself have noticed many weird things. Anyway i got a tub and filled it with water then recited the verses of protection over the water. I then went to every room in the house-except the bathroom- and sprinkled this water in all four corners of the room. Alhumdulilah the scratches have stopped, but the paranormal activity sometimes continues but on a very harmless level alhumdulilah.

Im glad people have shared their experiences on here because i was beginning to think i was the only one affected by such a strange phenonema. Im just wondering if psychofak should set up a camera in her sisters room in order to observe what goes on at night?
    Last edited by sarfaraz; 20-06-11 at 01:17 PM.

أليس الله بِكَافٍ عَبْدَه fisabilillah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psychofak View Post
    Assalamu 'Alykum wr.

Does anyone know anything about strange scratches appearing on the body, during daytime as well as night?

My sister's left arm has a lot of these sinister scrathes, most are a couple of inches long and very thin. There are a lot of marks left on her arm. She has just showed me a fresh scratch and says she doesn't know how they get there.

We (her family) all thought it might be her unconciously scratching herself, etc, but it really does seem like these scratches are appearing by themselves.

Just want to check if anyone has heard about anything like this before.
    Wa'alaikum assalaam.

I know that finding bruises on ones body (without any apparent reason) is a symptom of having a spiritual illness- i.e being afflicted with sihr (black magic) 'ayn (the evil eye) or mass (Possession).

Have you tried consulting a raaqi? (someone who uses Quran and sunnah-Hijamah, etc to cure the sick)?

If not, I would suggest you do insha'Allah.
    قال بعض السلف :
    خلق الله الملائكة عقولاً بلا شهوة ، وخلق البهائم شهوة بلا عقول، وخلق ابن آدم وركب فيه العقل والشهوة ، فمن غلب عقله شهوته التحق بالملائكة ، ومن غلبت شهوته عقله التحق بالبهائم .

http://saaid.net/

Quote Originally Posted by sarfaraz View Post

There is also a lot of paronormal activitiy on our street, and I myself have noticed many weird things. Anyway i got a tub and filled it with water then recited the verses of protection over the water. I then went to every room in the house-except the bathroom- and sprinkled this water in all four corners of the room. Alhumdulilah the scratches have stopped, but the paranormal activity sometimes continues but on a very harmless level alhumdulilah.
    Masha'Allah, it's good to see people doing things the correct way alhamdulillah. I'm happy to hear that your daughter is improving. It would be a good idea to spray the Quraani water over your daughter's bed as well. It'll be easier to put the water into a spray bottle and use that instead.
    قال بعض السلف :
    خلق الله الملائكة عقولاً بلا شهوة ، وخلق البهائم شهوة بلا عقول، وخلق ابن آدم وركب فيه العقل والشهوة ، فمن غلب عقله شهوته التحق بالملائكة ، ومن غلبت شهوته عقله التحق بالبهائم .

What about bruising, esp deep, dark brusing over the body for no apparent reason?
    Last edited by Jenicca; 20-06-11 at 01:32 PM.
    وَالْعَصْرِ

إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ لَفِي خُسْرٍ

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

If Allah (swt) only sent this Surah to us for the guidance of Mankind, this will be enough for us” - Imam Shaafi'ee r.a.

Revive A Sunnah

The Qur'an Club !!

Quote Originally Posted by fisabilillah View Post
    Masha'Allah, it's good to see people doing things the correct way alhamdulillah. I'm happy to hear that your daughter is improving. It would be a good idea to spray the Quraani water over your daughter's bed as well. It'll be easier to put the water into a spray bottle and use that instead.
    Ill try it with the spray bottle, and jkallah khayr for the suggestion of spraying the bed, thats something i havent tried yet

Account Disabled

Why not ask a doctor

Here are 3 simple things you can do to get to the bottom of this "mystery".

1. Cut your Nails ! There is nothing worse than long nails whether your a boy or a girl.

2. Put some light gloves on while you sleep or put some Tape over your nails when you sleep one night - if you have not got gloves or tape
    then grab a pair of socks and put them on your hands before nodding off lol.

3. If you still end up with these random scratches, put a camera in your room and film yourself while sleeping.
    "And remind, for indeed, the reminder benefits the believers"(51:55)

The Snake and Malik ibn Dinar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOfrNtDw5Yc

Quote Originally Posted by Jenicca View Post
    What about bruising, esp deep, dark brusing over the body for no apparent reason?

For those with raw7ani problems (spiritual problems) brusing is an indication of their condition and a symptom of it.

Quote Originally Posted by sarfaraz View Post
    Ill try it with the spray bottle, and jkallah khayr for the suggestion of spraying the bed, thats something i havent tried yet
    Wa'iyakum, insha'Allah you see some improvement-It would be good if you can add some salt to the spray bottle and then recite over the water and salt mixture, and then spray the corners of the rooms and around the bed of your daughter.
    قال بعض السلف :

I have that too ! like go to bed , wake up with this big bruise as if i was hit so hard ! No medical reason behind it !

I have been adviced many times to read more "ruqya" or Quran , and inshAllah it`ll disappear.
    Jannah is my aim

Quote Originally Posted by Leemar Tayem View Post
    I have that too ! like go to bed , wake up with this big bruise as if i was hit so hard ! No medical reason behind it !

I have been adviced many times to read more "ruqya" or Quran , and inshAllah it`ll disappear.
    sister, I didnt say I had it. It was just a question

May Allah cure you swiftly habibti

Fee xx
    وَالْعَصْرِ

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

If Allah (swt) only sent this Surah to us for the guidance of Mankind, this will be enough for us” - Imam Shaafi'ee r.a.

Revive A Sunnah

The Qur'an Club !!

like really thin scratches that are barely there? i sometimes have em on my arms, i don't notice sometimes because they are very, very thin and faint, only if i feel them somehow whilst doing wudhu or whatever. don't know how to get there but come to think of i haven't had them in weeks.
    The enforcement of Muslim Brotherhood is the greatest social ideal of Islam. On it was based the Prophet's (SAW) sermon on his last pilgrimage, and Islam cannot be completely realized until this ideal is achieved. '
    (Shaikh Maulana Muhammad Yusuf)
    In Lam Takun Ghaadiban Annee Falaa Ubaalee...

Quote Originally Posted by KeeKee View Post
    like really thin scratches that are barely there? i sometimes have em on my arms, i don't notice sometimes because they are very, very thin and faint, only if i feel them somehow whilst doing wudhu or whatever. don't know how to get there but come to think of i haven't had them in weeks.
    I used to get mine from jewelery!!

I once stabbed myself with glass bangle I wish I could have balmed that on a Jinn, but unfortunately the scar bares testimony to my own ness
    وَالْعَصْرِ

Revive A Sunnah

The Qur'an Club !!

I Wouldnt Read To Much into It

Some People Bruise Very Easily And Can Get It Without Nowing Knocks And So On
    And He found you lost and guided you,
    ~ Qur'an (Ad Duhaa) 93:7 ~

Salaah Reminders

Guide us to the straight.
    " Ihdina-s-sirata-l-mustaqim "
    ~ Quran 1:6 ~

One day I woke up with the whole of my chest with scratches, I thought a jin done it and my mum goes look at your nails and there was dried blood in my nails lol..

I used to get mine from jewelery!!

I once stabbed myself with glass bangle I wish I could have balmed that on a Jinn, but unfortunately the scar bares testimony to my own ness
    i don't know, the only jewelry i wear is ear rings, plus gold leaves marks on my skin for some reason so i don't really wear it...
    im not fussed anyway, i would be if they were bright red scratches and showed up loads but they are faint so no worries.
    The enforcement of Muslim Brotherhood is the greatest social ideal of Islam. On it was based the Prophet's (SAW) sermon on his last pilgrimage, and Islam cannot be completely realized until this ideal is achieved. '
    (Shaikh Maulana Muhammad Yusuf)
    In Lam Takun Ghaadiban Annee Falaa Ubaalee...

That is so ironic. My daughter also has scratches come and go on her as well. She sent me a picture of a scratches that were on her hand and it looked like a" hand"... the next day it was gone. The craziest thing I have ever seen?