Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

-striVing-

Is photo taking allowed in islam???

Is photo taking allowed in islam???

Re: Is photo taking allowed in islam???

i dont take photos and print them. but i only keep digital photos. i heard that digital photos are ok
    Watch live Huda TV, Peace TV and Islam Channel at Knowdeen.com

Praise be to Allaah.
    Firstly:

What you say about it being haraam to take photographs and keep them except in cases of necessity, and it being permissible to watch TV and videos if they are free of evils, is the view of a number of scholars, including Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) and the scholars of the Standing Committee for Issuing Fatwas, may Allaah preserve them.

Secondly:

The confusion that you mentioned was answered by Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him), who explained that pictures contained on a video tape and the like are stored in the form of electro-magnetic waves, hence they were regarded as permissible by those who do not regard photographs as permissible.

He (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Images made by modern methods are of two types:

1 – Those that are stored in a way that does not have any tangible or visible form, as was mentioned in the case of images, such as video tapes. There is no ruling on these at all and they do not come under the prohibition at all. Hence the scholars who forbid photographs printed on paper regarded them as permissible, and said that there is nothing wrong with them. It was said: Is it permissible to film the lectures that are given in mosques? Their opinion was that this should not be done, because it may disturb those who are praying there, and it does not befit the place, and so on.

2 – Photographs that are printed on paper.

But there remains the question: if a person wants to make these permissible images, then he is subject to the five rulings according to his intention. If he intends thereby to do something haraam, then it is haraam. If he intends thereby to do something obligatory then it is obligatory. It may be obligatory to make images sometimes, especially moving images. For example, if we see someone committing a crime that is a crime against a person’s rights, such as a murder attempt and the like, and it cannot be proven except by means of a picture, then in that case taking a picture is obligatory, especially in cases where pictures could tell the full story, because the means are subject to the same rulings as the ends. If we use this image-making to prove the identity of a person lest he be accused of a crime committed by someone else, there is nothing wrong with this either, rather it is essential. But if we take a picture in order to enjoy looking at it, this is undoubtedly haraam. End quote from al-Sharh al-Mumti’ (2/197-199).

And Allaah knows best.

Zainy boy :)

I dont think so.
    but editing is not allowed i dont think
    allah (swt) has made everything perfect

Odan
    أشهد أن لا إله إلاَّ الله و أشهد أن محمد رسول الله

Quote Originally Posted by cuezed View Post
    Praise be to Allaah.
    Firstly:

What you say about it being haraam to take photographs and keep them except in cases of necessity, and it being permissible to watch TV and videos if they are free of evils, is the view of a number of scholars, including Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) and the scholars of the Standing Committee for Issuing Fatwas, may Allaah preserve them.

Secondly:

The confusion that you mentioned was answered by Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him), who explained that pictures contained on a video tape and the like are stored in the form of electro-magnetic waves, hence they were regarded as permissible by those who do not regard photographs as permissible.

He (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Images made by modern methods are of two types:

1 – Those that are stored in a way that does not have any tangible or visible form, as was mentioned in the case of images, such as video tapes. There is no ruling on these at all and they do not come under the prohibition at all. Hence the scholars who forbid photographs printed on paper regarded them as permissible, and said that there is nothing wrong with them. It was said: Is it permissible to film the lectures that are given in mosques? Their opinion was that this should not be done, because it may disturb those who are praying there, and it does not befit the place, and so on.

2 – Photographs that are printed on paper.

But there remains the question: if a person wants to make these permissible images, then he is subject to the five rulings according to his intention. If he intends thereby to do something haraam, then it is haraam. If he intends thereby to do something obligatory then it is obligatory. It may be obligatory to make images sometimes, especially moving images. For example, if we see someone committing a crime that is a crime against a person’s rights, such as a murder attempt and the like, and it cannot be proven except by means of a picture, then in that case taking a picture is obligatory, especially in cases where pictures could tell the full story, because the means are subject to the same rulings as the ends. If we use this image-making to prove the identity of a person lest he be accused of a crime committed by someone else, there is nothing wrong with this either, rather it is essential. But if we take a picture in order to enjoy looking at it, this is undoubtedly haraam. End quote from al-Sharh al-Mumti’ (2/197-199).

And Allaah knows best.
    here is the source: http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/88180

its so hard to not take pictures of me

but i guess it's forbidden..

May Allah keep us all from commiting shirk...especially when we don't know it.

ive done a bit of research, but only on islamqa, other questions websites are annoying me, theyre so hard to use! if someone else finds anything from other qa websites please send me them.

anyway..

from what i have understood taking photographs and then having them developed or printing them on paper or anything tangible, thats haraam.

but if its just with a digital camera, or mobile phone or whatever, and the photo is not actually tangible thats okay. this is the same reasoning for why tv is okay.

Allahu alam. i think think theres difference in opinion regarding the last part about non-tangible pics being okay, so please dont take my word for anything.

i posted a few qa's on this thread http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210115
    Patience...

Quote Originally Posted by Rouz View Post
    from what i have understood taking photographs and then having them developed or printing them on paper or anything tangible, thats haraam.

but if its just with a digital camera, or mobile phone or whatever, and the photo is not actually tangible thats okay. this is the same reasoning for why tv is okay.

i posted a few qa's on this thread http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210115
    Well that makes no sense. Think of it this way..

What is paper?

Merely a way of presenting an image in a format that your brain can interpret. A computer screen or a mobile phone screen is simply an electronic way of presenting the same image for your brain to interpret.

The end result? In both cases you've seen the picture. In both cases you can gaze on the picture for as long as you choose.

Therefore a digital image on a screen is just as tangible as an image on paper. There is no difference, and anyone arguing otherwise is being completely illogical.

So if a photo on paper is haram, then a photo in a digital camera or a computer drive is haram. There's no argument.

(Personally I think there's nothing wrong with photos - but assume for the sake of argument there was, it is insane to allow it digitally but not on paper.).

Just my tuppence worth

(In fact in the fatwa quoted above they're making an elementary mistake. Photos on a disk, or a film on a video tape is not stored in the form of EM Waves...you can't just 'store' EM waves )
    Last edited by Joha; 15-04-09 at 06:49 PM.
    ...sermons from this minbar come with tongue planted quite firmly in cheek.

"Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need -
    a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends,
    worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you,
    a cat, a dog, and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear,
    and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing."

-- Jerome K. Jerome
    (Three Men in a Boat)

i was just summarising what islamqa said. i still dont know what other opinions are, i still want to find out.
    Patience...

Asalaualikum

May Allah grant all of jannat and happiness this life and life after... AMEEN

I just want to say that i have taken alot of pictures of my nieces and nephews like few years ago... whats with alll the new digital camera coming out etc sooo i have printed lots of pictures...

Now its a time i tend to take pictures of my son whilst his growing up or on occastion as eid, or family gathering. I dont feel its wrong as Allahumduallah their inocent pictures where its a memory and not used for anything dodgy... i dont however exploit pictures of family women to other people without their permission

However these days when you go to weddings mobile are the worst technolagy out there where people tend to record without people permission and them put them on youtube and mimick to one another so it can be used for wrong doing...

and if it Haram in islam may alllah show us the right path where he would be happy from us and give us teaching to not do things against islam or to upset him in any way,,,

Jazak alllah hair

Please take a look here:

Photographs: Please Clarify Your Position
    http://www.daruliftaa.com/question.a...nID=q-16155977

Quote Originally Posted by needa View Post
    Asalaualikum

May Allah grant all of jannat and happiness this life and life after... AMEEN

I just want to say that i have taken alot of pictures of my nieces and nephews like few years ago... whats with alll the new digital camera coming out etc sooo i have printed lots of pictures...

Now its a time i tend to take pictures of my son whilst his growing up or on occastion as eid, or family gathering. I dont feel its wrong as Allahumduallah their inocent pictures where its a memory and not used for anything dodgy... i dont however exploit pictures of family women to other people without their permission

However these days when you go to weddings mobile are the worst technolagy out there where people tend to record without people permission and them put them on youtube and mimick to one another so it can be used for wrong doing...

and if it Haram in islam may alllah show us the right path where he would be happy from us and give us teaching to not do things against islam or to upset him in any way,,,

Jazak alllah hair
    Sister, it's best if you don't print them out.
    Scholars have disallowed picture taking even for memories.
    Call onto Allah, such that you are certain that He, al-Mujib wal-Kareem, will answer your call before you even lower your hands.
    وَقَالَ رَبُّكُمُ ادْعُونِي أَسْتَجِبْ لَكُمْ

Quote Originally Posted by .mirror. View Post
    Sister, it's best if you don't print them out.
    Scholars have disallowed picture taking even for memories.
    Inshallah with the power of allah may allah discourage me to do sooo....