Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Mustalahul Hadeeth & Hanafi Fiqh Class with Abu Mus'ab Tuesday from 7:30PM GMT (8:30pm BST) skype: ummahradio Show Details here. - And here

Listen Online:www.ummahradio.com
DOWNLOAD THE APP

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Striving for Perfection Ibrahim70's Avatar

Praying 2 Rakats when entering a Masjid

Narrated Abu Qatada Al-Aslami (Radi Allahu 'anhum):

Allah's Apostle (Sallallahu 'Alaihi Wa Sallam) said, "If anyone of you enters a mosque, he should pray two Rakat before sitting."

Bukhari Vol. 1 : No. 435
    “Allah does not place a burden upon a person except that which he is capable” (Al-Baqarah: 286)

Re: Praying 2 Rakats when entering a Masjid

Even during the jummah khutba.

I have a question to ask about the above Haidth

Does this apply to when one is entering a Masjid to pray Salah OR does this apply to one who enters a Masjid at any time for any activity?

“Allah does not place a burden upon a person except that which he is capable” (Al-Baqarah: 286)

Odan

I never knew about this until a while ago. I just think back at all the times i went to the Masjid and didn't pray it. Missed out on all those extra blessings

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim70 View Post

Does this apply to when one is entering a Masjid to pray Salah OR does this apply to one who enters a Masjid at any time for any activity?

It is better to apply it whether you come to pray or not.see it as right of the masjid upon you.

Last edited by elcherino; 23-02-09 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elcherino View Post
    It is better to apply it whether you come to pray or not.see it as right of the masjid upon you.

Oh ok.

So if I enter a Masjid for a class or a lecture, its Sunnah to pray the 2 rakats yes?

Even during the jummah khutba.
    :salam:

to my knowledge, you pray the 2 rakat no matter what. However if you enter a masjid and they are already praying in jamaat, you are obligated to fall in and pray in jamaat immediately because when you fall behind the imam, u are under the imam's jurisdiction.

but you should check and verify that...

There's nothing natural about natural disasters. Think about it...

If you have the time then pray the 2 rakaats.unless you are in a hurry to miss part of the lecture/class.

If you have the time then pray the 2 rakaats.unless you are in a hurry to miss part of the lecture/class.

From my limited understanding you do not pray during the Khutbah. Rather it is Sunnah to sit silently and listen.

And Allaah (swT) knows best. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Ma'aSalaama

Quote Originally Posted by elzaeed View Post
    From my limited understanding you do not pray during the Khutbah. Rather it is Sunnah to sit silently and listen.

And Allaah (swT) knows best. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Ma'aSalaama
    I could not find the sahih muslim hadith in english.Here is a page from sahih muslim in arabic/urdu with explanation.

Portfolio-bestand 1.JPG

I don't know Urdu.

According to Madhab of Imam shafiee , Imam Ahmad ,Ishaq and hadith scholars when you enter the masjid while imam is givng khutba it is mustahabb to pray 2 rakaats.It is makrooh to sit down without praying the 2 rakaats.Madhab of Imam Abu hanifa you do not pray during the khutba.the last part i can not translate it properly.sorry

Salaams

tahhiyatul masjid

This is something that is prayed upon entering the Masjid, it is very recommended. So as long as the fard salah has not started you should pray it, not only is it a right of the Masjid but also much benefit to you. Each and every place you pray and prostrate your head it will seek forgiveness for you and be a witness on that Day.

We should get in to a habit of it as it does not take long but the effects and rewards are much.

If the person delivering the Friday sermon (Khateeb) is on the pulpit (minbar) then one should still pray the 2 units but they should not be lengthy. After this you should sit and listen to the remainder of the sermon.

And Allah (swt) knows best.

Wa salaams

Your bro

Ibn Muhammad Shafi

My living and dying are for the sake of Allah (swt) alone, to Him (swt) do I prostrate myself before.
    My soul knew you and loved you even before I was born my Lord Allah (swt)

Quote Originally Posted by abdalmajid View Post
    Salaams

tahhiyatul masjid

This is something that is prayed upon entering the Masjid, it is very recommended. So as long as the fard salah has not started you should pray it, not only is it a right of the Masjid but also much benefit to you. Each and every place you pray and prostrate your head it will seek forgiveness for you and be a witness on that Day.

We should get in to a habit of it as it does not take long but the effects and rewards are much.

If the person delivering the Friday sermon (Khateeb) is on the pulpit (minbar) then one should still pray the 2 units but they should not be lengthy. After this you should sit and listen to the remainder of the sermon.

And Allah (swt) knows best.

Wa salaams

Your bro

Ibn Muhammad Shafi
    Ahki

Quote Originally Posted by abdalmajid View Post
    The Nabi (saw) has commanded us to remain silent and listen attentively to the Khutbah. From what I have read one should not be praying during the Khutbah. In fact it has been said that if a person is already praying then they should finish at that rakah and remain silent and listen attentively. This is what my local Imaam says as well.

Please have a look at some articles on IslamQA on this subject; http://www.islamqa.com/en/search/pra...AllWords/t,q,a

Ma'aSalaama

The Nabi (saw) has commanded us to remain silent and listen attentively to the Khutbah. From what I have read one should not be praying during the Khutbah. In fact it has been said that if a person is already praying then they should finish at that rakah and remain silent and listen attentively. This is what my local Imaam says as well.

Please have a look at some articles on IslamQA on this subject; http://www.islamqa.com/en/search/pra...AllWords/t,q,a

Ma'aSalaama
    This makes sense. Imagine if the majority of the brothers walked in late during Jum'a and the Imam had already began his Khutbah. I would think it a little 'disruptive' to have people praying whilst he was talking.

And if you go by the thought it's OK to pray even when he's talking, I wonder if you'd still receive the Ajr of attending Jum'a.? My understanding is you lose the Ajr when you speak when your Imam is speaking. Allahu a'lim. Tricky one.

And for the brothers reading this...for the love of Allah swt, dress nicely on this day. I see way too many brothers looking a little worse for wear on this day. Jum'a is a special day. Make the effort. Iron your clothes, and for Allah's sake, take a shower that morning and put some nice perfume on. I'm coming THIS close to taking a brother aside and telling him he smells and that it's not on.

You can be the most gorgeous brother in the world, great beard, chiselled jawline, great abs. But if your underarms stink, forget it mate. Ain't no sister going to want to share her private quaters with you, guaranteed!
    If someone praises one of them (the believer), he says, "I know myself better than others [know me], and my Lord is more knowledgeable of me than myself. O Allah! Do not take me to task for what they say, and make me better than what they think of me, and forgive me for those sins which they are unaware of."

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird View Post
    And for the brothers reading this...for the love of Allah swt, dress nicely on this day. I see way too many brothers looking a little worse for wear on this day. Jum'a is a special day. Make the effort. Iron your clothes, and for Allah's sake, take a shower that morning and put some nice perfume on. I'm coming THIS close to taking a brother aside and telling him he smells and that it's not on.

You can be the most gorgeous brother in the world, great beard, chiselled jawline, great abs. But if your underarms stink, forget it mate. Ain't no sister going to want to share her private quaters with you, guaranteed!
    lol

You've got a point though Sis.

BROTHERS LISTEN UP YEA!!

Listen to the Sisters word and act upon them for tonight is Thursday so get out the Iron and iron that shirt Bro, take that shower tomorrow morning and make an effort for Allah ta'ala

UNLESS!.... the prayer has already commenced, it is not permissable to pray tahiyyat al masjid while the obligitory prayer is commencing or has already started, and if one beggins to pray the tahiyyat al masjid and the iqama is called one should leave the tahiyya and join the obligitory salat. the prophet (saw) used to seem like he didnt know anybody when the iqama was called rawahu bukhari and also a congrigational prayer is 25-70x the reward of a person who prays alone rawahu bukhari.

What if it's after asr salah. Say you come in early for maghrib salah, does it still apply?

Odan

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim70 View Post

anytime. when we went for umrah, and visited different mosques, the ullama advised the mosques have rights, and they are not just a sight seeing building, so to prevent it, you must read tayatul masjid

what if you running a little late...and you enter the masjid lets say for Zuhr...you know you have just enough time to pray the 4 sunnah before the 4 fard behind the imam - what takes precedence - the 2 rakats for entering the masjid or the 4 rakats sunnah offered before Zuhr namaaz?

:

The Nabi (saw) has commanded us to remain silent and listen attentively to the Khutbah. From what I have read one should not be praying during the Khutbah. In fact it has been said that if a person is already praying then they should finish at that rakah and remain silent and listen attentively. This is what my local Imaam says as well.Please have a look at some articles on IslamQA on this subject; http://www.islamqa.com/en/search/pra...AllWords/t,q,a

Ma'aSalaama
    Brother, your words are in contradiction with the rulings on this matter.

One should pray two short rakaat of tayatul masjid upon entering EVEN if the khateeb is on the mimbar.

Here is the daleel on which to follow:

The hadeeth of Jaabir ibn ‘Abd-Allaah who said: a man came whilst the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was addressing the people on the day of Jumu’ah. He said, “Have you prayed, O So and so?” He said, “No.” he said, “Stand up and pray two rak’ahs.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 888; Muslim, 875)

Fuqaha have recognized this to be general command- not specifically for So and So (unmentioned companion).

What your imam was mentioning may have been in reference to praying two rakaat of nawafil while already in the masjid, waiting for the khutbah. As the time to do nawafil salaat is NOT during the khutbah as the zuhr adhan on Jumuah day is the sabab (reason) for sitting quietly in the masjid.

However, the time to perform tayatul masjid salaah is upon entering the masjid even if the khateeb is on the mimbar as 'entering the masjid' is the sabab for the tayatul masjid salah.

And Allah knows best.

لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول

Quote Originally Posted by belal1 View Post

to my knowledge, you pray the 2 rakat no matter what. However if you enter a masjid and they are already praying in jamaat, you are obligated to fall in and pray in jamaat immediately because when you fall behind the imam, u are under the imam's jurisdiction.

but you should check and verify that...

can be a better way to explain it, and btw it is what i have been taught aswell

Tahiyyatul Masjid is a Nafl salaat, as far as I know. So, I'm not sure why people are saying you 'must' pray it.

Also, if you enter the masjid and pray, let's say Asr, then Tahiyyatul Masjid doesn't meed to be prayed because it will be counted with Asr. That's the Hanafi ruling.
    Call onto Allah, such that you are certain that He, al-Mujib wal-Kareem, will answer your call before you even lower your hands.
    وَقَالَ رَبُّكُمُ ادْعُونِي أَسْتَجِبْ لَكُمْ

I don't but I see other people that do. Lots of Muslims come in and do this extra salah on Friday before the khutbah starts and even some do it during the khutbah, I actually don't know how many rakat it is but I don't do that either.

:S And my friend doesn't do it and he's knowledgable about Islam- more than me and says that he gets looked at for not doing it. Ever since he said this, it's made me so darn paranoid.

↑4 Sunnah Muakaddah before 2 Fardh of Jummah, possibly.
    Call onto Allah, such that you are certain that He, al-Mujib wal-Kareem, will answer your call before you even lower your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by .mirror. View Post

Tahiyyatul Masjid is a Nafl salaat, as far as I know. So, I'm not sure why people are saying you 'must' pray it.

Also, if you enter the masjid and pray, let's say Asr, then Tahiyyatul Masjid doesn't meed to be prayed because it will be counted with Asr. That's the Hanafi ruling.
    What about after Asr, before Maghrib. Cause I see people praying it then when they enter, but isn't it true that there is no salah between those two?

Don't pray them in makrooh times, according to this: http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/show...-in-the-Masjid

Don't pray them in makrooh times, according to this: http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/show...-in-the-Masjid

↑4 Sunnah Muakaddah before 2 Fardh of Jummah, possibly.

Oh ok. Jazakhallah khair. I guess there's no harm in trying to pray it.

It's just something I found new and strange because I've never done it before... :S

It's the same thing when I went to the university mosque and saw people praying salah slightly differently and I was like woah what is going on because the Muslims in the mosque I know don't do this- they pray all the same so I thought every Muslim in the planet prayed the Hanafi way!!!!!