Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Mustalahul Hadeeth & Hanafi Fiqh Class with Abu Mus'ab Tuesday from 7:30PM GMT (8:30pm BST) skype: ummahradio Show Details here. - And here

Listen Online:www.ummahradio.com
DOWNLOAD THE APP

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Crying baby - Recommendations

Assalaamu Alaykum,

Apologies if a similar thread has been created already BUT i cudnt fine one.

Anyhow my son is 1 month old, he is alhamdulillah healthy and is feeding well etc etc - during the day he is sweet as anything, cries as expected when he is hungry or requires a change BUT . . . . .

the last few days he cries quite violently at night - even if he has been fed and changed he continues crying, its as if he is scared.

Basically i was wanting to know if there are any dua's to read to stop him from getting scared or any other recommendations would be welcome

Jazakallah

Re: Crying baby - Recommendations

its normal for them to go through different stages when it comes to crying so so long as he seems healthy and clean and you've done the normal stuff then wouldnt worry too much.

in regards night fears, you should make it a habit to read manzil over him at night and first thing in the morning, if for whatever reason that aint possible then atleast ayatul kursi, 4 quls, surah fatihah and darud shareef.
    Rajab is a month of cultivation, Shaban is month of irrigating the fields, and the month of Ramadhan is a month of reaping and harvesting.”

Mom of Two Autties

My oldest son had colic when he was an infant and the screaming could go on all night long. One of the most helpful things was to have him sleep in his car seat. I was very much against the idea as I almost thought it cruel to strap him in the car seat, but it worked wonders. If the problem persists, you might check up with your pediatrician.

Another thing that seemed to work is to go from inside outside and the temperature change would sometimes stop the seemingly endless crying.

One of things that someone told me at the time is don't wish this time away because it will never come again. In other words, sometimes we have a tendency to jump ahead and say "I wish today were over with" in the midst of sleepless nights and frustration. Take each day and savor the memories, infancy flies by. I can't believe that my son is going to be 8 in May insha Allah.

May Allah bless you and your family.

awww, poor baby. did you consult his doctor about this? could be anything from an earache to colic?

just soothe and cuddle him and recite or play soft Quran, inshaa Allah

have you ever heard of "woodwards gripe water"? the herbs in it calm the digestive system in infants. worked great for my daughter when she had colic, alhamdulillah

Thanks for your suggestions, much appreciated.

Alhamdulillah he was a lot better last night - shall continue with the dua and quran recitation inshallah.

hmmm. crying at night might be colic?
    insha Allah mention to ur health visitor and see what they suggest, or i think theres a helpline for babies who cry loads which is called crysis, i dno the number but u can google it. one person i heard of who used that told that they recommended these cds of white noise? and the baby listens to it and for some reason it makes them calm..
    also u could try playing quran mayb? then he wdnt feel scared cos he would have the background noise? where is he sleeping in his own room or same room with u?
    insha Allah its just a phase and it will improve quickly.
    the only thing i think u shudnt do is that controlled crying because if he seems scared it will really make him worse? if u keep picking him up everytime he will feel reassured n he would see theres no reason 2 b scared cos u wil always get him
    .: Rufaida :.
    .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.

“People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
    but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
    ~ Ibn Atallah

but with the white noise thing, they'll become used to it and then they'll rely on it for their comfort to sleep which isnt always practical afterwards.

like everyones said it could be colic, but continue with reading the quls inshallah and see the HV. also i know they recommend to let babies sleep on their backs , but it might be that baby isnt comfortable in the position youve put them in ?

inshallah ur baby is just learning and it'll become easier sister
    Abu Huraira (ra) narrated that the messenger of Allah (saw) said 'Beware of suspicion, for suspicion is the worst of false tales; and do not look at the faults of others, and do not indulge in spying on one another..do not be jealous of one another and do not hate one another, O Allah's worshippers! Be brothers' (Sahih Bukhari)

wa alaykum asalaam

my daughter was exactly like that...and it went on for 3 months..... was colic..the health visitor showed me some massage techniques which helped and used the colic medicine...the drops..cant remember what called now!

infacol?

~ Ibn Atallah

sounds like colic, I agree with anna about not doing controlled crying, is not suitable for such a young baby. Infacol is a good colic medicine, you just drop it into baby's mouth before a feed (or after?? I forgot - follow the instructions on the bottle!!) and it helps make all the little bubbles of gas turn into big bubbles which are easier for baby to get out of his system. Also gripe water like Tahiya said is good, but on the bottle it says not to give it to babies below a certain age?? infacol I think is for any age.

if it carries on and stuff like reciting Qur'an, giving infacol etc isn't working, see the health visitor inshaAllah they're trained in how to help colicy babies

Quote Originally Posted by muslim_sis View Post
    but with the white noise thing, they'll become used to it and then they'll rely on it for their comfort to sleep which isnt always practical afterwards.

like everyones said it could be colic, but continue with reading the quls inshallah and see the HV. also i know they recommend to let babies sleep on their backs , but it might be that baby isnt comfortable in the position youve put them in ?

inshallah ur baby is just learning and it'll become easier sister
    Brother actually . . .

Jazakhalla for all the suggestions - will bring it up with the health visitor soon if the crying persists

Somebody has recommended Infacol - it can be used from birth onwards so i shall look to try that Inshallah

dhakiyya infacol is before the feed
    personally i am not convinced infacol works... i tried it altho my baby didnt really have much of colic anyway but it didnt seem to make a difference? and wen u read the packet it said if u gave the wholeee thing of it by mistake it wouldnt harm the baby, so it cant b anything strong in that case?
    BUT its def worth just trying it in case u do find that it helps.
    other mums i know found the same as me though

~ Ibn Atallah

regards effectiveness of infacol - it depends on what is causing the colic. if it's caused by gas in the intestine, then it works. basically it makes little bubbles of gas join up to make big bubbles which are easier for the baby to pass. their little intestines get all cramped up trying to pass the small bubbles without much efffect but the big bubbles come out easily. However if the colic is caused by something other than gas, then infacol won't work.

The reason it won't harm the baby if you give them the whole bottle at once is because the infacol iteslf isn't absorbed into the body, it just goes straight through. which means its very safe for babies.

ohhh okay, thanks for info

~ Ibn Atallah

Quote Originally Posted by .: Anna :. View Post
    infacol?

yep thats the one...and i think there was some other drops you could put in the milk or something

it worked for some of my friends but not for me...

If your baby is colic which by the sounds of things seems to be some health professionals suggest keeping the baby upright. I think it defo helps to put them in a sling such as this one. I have this and its brilliant. You can put the baby in all sorts of positions and its extremely comforting for the baby. My daughter used to fall asleep straight away in it and stay asleep for a good few hours.

Also, one thing that really helps colicy babies is laying them down on your bed or whatever and push their knees right up to their chests. If you do it a little vigerously it really helps them with their tummies.

Try the infacol and gripe water.

Babies normally grow out of it and inshallah urs will too. Defo do the leg thing because it works wonders for them and its instant relief. Ill try and draw you a pic to show you what I mean
    Last edited by Umm Saalehah; 23-01-09 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Tried drawing pic and I just cant draw, sorry
    Peace in Afghanistan, Bring back the Taliban!

Democracy and voting = KUFR

My blog

Quote Originally Posted by Umm Saalehah View Post
    If your baby is colic which by the sounds of things seems to be some health professionals suggest keeping the baby upright. I think it defo helps to put them in a sling such as this one. I have this and its brilliant. You can put the baby in all sorts of positions and its extremely comforting for the baby. My daughter used to fall asleep straight away in it and stay asleep for a good few hours.

Also, one thing that really helps colicy babies is laying them down on your bed or whatever and push their knees right up to their chests. If you do it a little vigerously it really helps them with their tummies.

Try the infacol and gripe water.

Babies normally grow out of it and inshallah urs will too. Defo do the leg thing because it works wonders for them and its instant relief. Ill try and draw you a pic to show you what I mean
    Jazakallah for the suggestions

Inshallah will try the leg thing BUT cant at the moment as he was circumcised last week - has more or less recovered BUT dont want to aggravate it at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie Ahmed View Post
    Jazakallah for the suggestions

Inshallah will try the leg thing BUT cant at the moment as he was circumcised last week - has more or less recovered BUT dont want to aggravate it at the moment
    Yes good idea.

When you do the leg thing, put your hands over the front of his calves, push up then push down into his stomach firmly. holding for a couple of seconds then repeat. let me know how it goes.

My blog

The crying returned - was really strong, from 2am til 3pm he was crying even though he was tired - took him to Hospital and as soon as we get there he nods off

Anyways, they checked him and they think it is most likely due to colic - they cudnt see anything else wrong with him alhamdulillah. They just recommended the stuff thats been mentioned in this thread already

Also someone suggested a sling, do places like Boots, Mothercare sell them?

yeh they do but its easy to get em online.
    i think boots n mothercare type shops tend to do the carrier ones which are kind of built.. like a tomy carrier if u know what i mean, or i forgot what the other brands are.
    that pic which the sis posted above looks like a ring sling. sling is kinda different than carrier, its more fabricish.
    i got one babaslings.com but the one above seems better, my baby was kinda squashed looking in mine :s

~ Ibn Atallah

Anyone know if its okay to give Infacol and Gripe Water at the same time (I know Infacol is given before a feed and Gripe Water is given during or after a feed)

HV was here this morning BUT totally forgot to ask

Theres no reason why not, it wont harm the baby

My blog

Anyone know if its okay to give Infacol and Gripe Water at the same time (I know Infacol is given before a feed and Gripe Water is given during or after a feed)

HV was here this morning BUT totally forgot to ask
    I used to do that, it worked well for me. I think gripe water helped my baby more than infacol did, with gripe water she'd get instant relief and stop crying, you baby might have trapped wind. My baby gets trapped wind and crys a lot. Picking her up and just bouncing her help because the motion gives them a bit of relief. Someone told my husband that if you bounce your baby lightly on your knee whislt trying to burp them it helps bring the colic up. Sometimes i rock my baby in between trying to burp her or sit her in my lap and move her round in circles and it helps bring the colic up. (my HV showed me to do that)
    Please Re-update your Signature

Assalaamu Alaykum,

Apologies if a similar thread has been created already BUT i cudnt fine one.

Anyhow my son is 1 month old, he is alhamdulillah healthy and is feeding well etc etc - during the day he is sweet as anything, cries as expected when he is hungry or requires a change BUT . . . . .

the last few days he cries quite violently at night - even if he has been fed and changed he continues crying, its as if he is scared.

Basically i was wanting to know if there are any dua's to read to stop him from getting scared or any other recommendations would be welcome

Jazakallah

one month is very young, i suggest skin to skin this means holding naked baby (leave his nappy on) on your chest or your wifes so that he can hear your heart and feel safe inshaallah,
    put a blanket over both of you so that he doesnt get cold, if he is still crying he may have colic a condition babies get up to 3 months old they cry inconsolibly from about 5pm until midnight or more, there is not much your doctor can do

but I would suggest taking your baby to see a cranial osteopath, they gently move the babies head and neck to relieve tention and pain that could have been caused by the birth process, it works extreemly well and many parents have reproted the end of night time crying after just one session.

also if baby is breastfed try getting mum to stop eating dairy products , she may need to take a calcium supplement to get enough but some babies cannot handle the lactose in cows milk which is passed through the breastmilk.

take time to yourself each dayand allow your wife some time to herself each day even just an hour to have a lang bath or go for a walk as i am sure you know a crying baby can be extreemly stressful to deal with and without some time out you will both get more and more stressed and frazzled and be unable to cope.

Inshaallah one of these methods will work.

make sure your mrs gets plenty of rest and sleeps during the day, her body is still recovering from being pregnant and the birth so she needs this inshaallah your baby son will over come this and be strong in body, mind and iman throughout his life and an asset to the ummah and the coolness of his parents eyes.
    Last edited by ummbilal; 30-01-09 at 07:35 PM.

bring back PAGAL LADOOOO

no longer "Cristiana" :) Umm Yusef's Avatar

Waleykum assalam,

in his first month or so, Yusef used to scream for a few hours every evening talking to him in a soothing, reassuring voice while cuddling him or playing Qur'an in the background used to help.

We always gave him infacol, it didn't solve the problem but it would get worse if we stopped giving him...

But the real "remedy" is SABR: insha'Allah he'll grow out of it
    "...Creator of the heavens and the earth! You are my Protector and my Guardian in this world and the Hereafter. Make me die as a Muslim,and join me with the righteous."12:101
    Please as you read this, make du'a to Allah SWT to guide all those "interested in Islam" to take the decisive step.