Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Icon7 Is psychology a good degree?

Assalamu Alaykum,

Does anyone here do a psychology degree? I have choosen to study psychology next year inshallah but still really don't know what I am hoping to achieve at the end of it. If you do psychology are you enjoying it? Hows your course going?

Re: Is psychology a good degree?

i dnt do psyhcology as degree

but i reallly loved in wen i ws doing it at college as an a level very interesting subject

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenGate View Post
    Assalamu Alaykum,

Does anyone here do a psychology degree? I have choosen to study psychology next year inshallah but still really don't know what I am hoping to achieve at the end of it. If you do psychology are you enjoying it? Hows your course going?
    Wa-alaikum salaam

Loved the course, loved every bit of it and think its an excellent discipline. The problem stems in finding a job thats remotely related (although admitedly psychology can be used in a wide range of careers)- if you have something youre particularly interested in, you have to be aware that only a undergrad degree will not suffice. For example, if you want to go into clinical you have to be mindful that it is a long haul. Undergrad degree, some kind of clinical experience/background (helps if you get involved in some kind of volunteer work from the first year), a post as an assisstant psychologist is usually desirable and then ultimately 3 years DClinPyshc.

Its the case for other areas too- occupational, counselling (although not as long as the clinical course).
    As a undergrad course itself- it was enjoyable, an experience and you definitely learn alot! I guess what you use it for and how you make use of it is ultimately upto you
    *~* Learn Patience from Aasiyah (RA); Loyalty from Khadhija (RA); Sincerity from Aisha (RA) and Steadfastness from Fatima (RA).*~*

Thanks sis, Im doing it too for ALevels and I think its the teacher who puts me off but I do enjoy it for the most part, i'm just thinking how it can benefit me and what I can do with it. Inshallah when i get married (whenever that is) I wouldn't want to work so what exactly can I achieve from it? I think studying something like Islam would benefit me in this life and the hereafter BUT I don't know if i want to study Islam in a non-muslim country.
    Last edited by GoldenGate; 28-10-08 at 11:05 AM.

Thanks sis, I just saw ur post when i posted mine I was thinking something along the lines of child psychology as I would want to help kids however studying all those years and then ultimately not doing anything doesn't appeal to me much.

Thanks sis, Im doing it too for ALevels and I think its the teacher who puts me off but I do enjoy it for the most part, i'm just thinking how it can benefit me and what I can do with it. Inshallah when i get married (whenever that is) I wouldn't want to work so what exactly can I achieve from it? I think studying something like Islam would benefit me in this life and the hereafter BUT I don't know if i want to study Islam in a non-muslim country.
    Thanks sis, I just saw ur post when i posted mine I was thinking something along the lines of child psychology as I would want to help kids however studying all those years and then ultimately not doing anything doesn't appeal to me much.
    I understand where youre coming from BUT in that respect psychology is a great discipline because you can actually use it privately (although again, its long winded and takes alot of training etc).

I know what youre saying cos im in the same boat but the thing is, we never know where life is going to take us i always imagined myself to be working, i had a dream of becomming a clinical psychologist and i still do! inshaALlah maybe that dream will come true one day and i will be able to work privately and help muslim women in particular. My issue with the lack of muslim women in psychology is that western psychiatry is very biased and ethnocentric based. It doesnt always take into consideration cultural and religious differences and muslim women usually dont have anywhere to turn. Im also a firm believer in using religion as a source of helping people overcome their psychological difficulties! (maybe this is where an aalima course would be an idea- although unfortunately again, i dont see this very often on a practical level).

I studied to my hearts content or rather, Allah Ta'ala blessed me with every opportunity and thing just came my way! Doors just opened for me without me having to really try hard but now, even without thinking it would ever happen to me ive moved to another country and i dont go out to work cos my husband would rather i didnt.

Im sure you could do a counselling course or something in child development and then work from home. Alot of people do that and i know professions such as midwifery (atleast here in SA) are ideal for muslimahs because they are private and can work from home.
    *~* Learn Patience from Aasiyah (RA); Loyalty from Khadhija (RA); Sincerity from Aisha (RA) and Steadfastness from Fatima (RA).*~*

Assalamu Alaykum,

yes its a good degree but don't do it at Coventry Uni.

salaam

it is a good degree (according to frends) and it does offer good employment prospects...but like with any subject you have to study further..dont just get a degree and get job in asdas or tescos..do a masters and specialize in a proffession..and inshallah when yo ubecome a pschologist or somethoing i will use your services (for free)

icarrim

Leave alone the material considerations,it gives the psychologist an insight into human nature and helps towards the quality of the person in him.

Aslam o alaikum

As posters aove have said this degree can be used in a wide range of careers.However, more specifically, there are various careers that branch out of psychology for example educational and clinical psychologists. Bear in mind there are less jobs/posts in these areas therefore the competition is fierce. You will be able to get more info about what is required, what type of things you'll be doing and roughly what salary you can get on the above and other careers from Connexions.The subject psycology is wonderful itself and there are less muslims in psycology-orientated careers.So research about the various options you have and be prepared to work harder, longer than an average degree as you will face great competition.

As far as the money is concerned, recently my local council was recruited for trainee educational psychologists with a starting salary of around 22-25K.So good luck!!!!

icarrim

Many fellow Muslims confide in and share their problems with the Mullahs.This has been so throughout.Unfortunately a general lack of elementary knowledge of psychology does not help these Mullahs to dispense the right advices.
    It is therefore necessary to include a course of psychology in their curriculum to help in their enlightenment.

Islam is an Ideology SoldierOfDeen's Avatar

Just professional liars to be honest. Yes it is interesting thought, a lot of the core ideology now though is stemmed through television, learning development patterns, body patterns.. brain information interpreting..

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierOfDeen View Post
    Just professional liars to be honest. Yes it is interesting thought, a lot of the core ideology now though is stemmed through television, learning development patterns, body patterns.. brain information interpreting..
    Shows how much you know about the subject.

YDoUwant2KnoIfImHappy/Not GuCcI's Avatar

errrr only if u wanna have a career do phd n become a proff
    Screaming, But Will Never Be Heard

Islam is an Ideology SoldierOfDeen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zesty View Post
    Shows how much you know about the subject.

There and back again... Safiyyah89's Avatar

asalamu alaykum

thats how i feel sometimes, i feel like sometimes im just wasting my time when i could be dedicating my time to learning deen, cuz like u i dont plan on working(inshallah) when i get married, id like to just raise my children

but honestly i go to school because its what my mum would like and therefore i do it to make her happy, to me its worth it
    i dont know much about psychology(other than i need a pyschologist) but ukhti if u really feel like its a waste then y not just learn the deen?
    and u dont have to stay in a nonmuslim country if u dont want to, go to countries like yemen,syria where u can learn the deen intensively that way its both benificial to u in this life and inshallah in the hereafter(cuz the deen u learn u can teach ur children inshallah)
    and if u cant leave(due to some reason or another) then its not bad learning from here either. i know of an islamic university in minnisota that i herd is really good(but i think u live in UK so that wouldnt work)try finding islamic universities that might be in UK(dont know of any since i dont live there)

ultimitley the decision is urs ukhti

waslamu alaykum

safiyyah
    ‎"when she is a daughter, she opens a door of jannah for her father. when she is a wife, she completes half of the deen of her husband. when she is a mother, Jannah lies under her feet. If everyone knew the status of a muslim women in islam, even men would want to be women." Sheikh Akram Nadawi