Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

LIVE Arabic Classes with Abu Mus'ab Wednesday 8:30PM GMT (9:30pm BST) skype: ummahradio Show Details here

Listen Online:www.ummahradio.com
DOWNLOAD THE APP

Note: All classes are still on the old times of GMT, not GMT +1 a.k.a. BST, with the exception of the Tafseer Class, for that will be done at 7:30pm GMT, or 6:30pm GMT+1/BST

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Umm-RiiYaaQQ

Are Pictures Allowed in Islam??

salam aleykum all!

ya i met a sister at the moske yesterday and we came to talk abt pictures.
    she told me how they were "haram", i think (erm or not allowed), and put her views to me very strongly. since she dint give me ne refrences, i wanted to find out for myself.

is it not allowed to have family pics n stuff at home? stored in an album for memory n stuff?

i know its prohibited to draw our creator allah (swt) or his messenger (saw)
    no question there.
    but im curious abt normal pic that we take.!!

this girl ws tellin me how shes gt family abroad n wen they sent her pictures " i looked at it to see what they looked like and then tore it up. i dont want allah to ask me to bring these pictures life!).

???

:-)!!

Re: Are Pictures Allowed in Islam??

In Arabic, Tasweer (pictures) means Asnam (which means idol), so therefore, the ruling is that it is forbidden to draw pictures as described in your question and some renowned Ulamas (scholars) also say that taking photographs, which means the taking of pictures of living, animate moving beings, like people, animals, birds, etc. are also prohibited on the basis of a number of reports, such as the following:

1) Hadhrat Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood (Radi Allah Anho) reported that the Holy Prophet Hadhrat Muhammad-ur Rasullullaah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: "Those who will be most severely punished by Allah Taa’la on the Day of Resurrection will be the image-makers." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, see al-Fath, 10/382).

2) Hadhrat Abu Hurairah (Radi Allah Anho) reported that the Holy Prophet Hadhrat Muhammad-ur Rasullullaah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: "Allah Taa’la, may He be exalted, says: 'Who does more wrong than the one who tries to create something like My creation? Let him create a grain of wheat or a kernel (most important part) of corn.'" (Reported by al-Bukhaari, see Fath al-Baari, 10/385).

3) Hadhrat Ibn Abbaas (Radi Allah Anhuma) reported that the Holy Prophet Hadhrat Muhammad-ur Rasullullaah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: "Every image-maker will be in the Fire and for every image that he made a soul will be created for him, which will be punished in the Fire." Hadhrat Ibn Abbaas (Radi Allah Anhuma) said: "If you must do that, make pictures of trees and other inanimate objects." (Reported by Muslim, 3/1871) Therefore, from this Hadith it is clear that drawing images such as trees, landscapes, etc are permissible to draw.

In one Hadith the Holy Prophet Hadhrat Muhammad-ur Rasullullaah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: "The angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog or pictures." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, see al-Fath, 10/380)

These Ahadith clearly indicate that it is Haraam to make images of animate beings, whether they be humans or different kinds of animals, whether the images are two- or three dimensional. Pictures are forbidden whether they are drawn, engraved, carved, etched or cast from moulds. The Ahadith which forbid making pictures cover all these methods.

But, if you are required to draw certain images due to course or exam work then, Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (Alayhi Rahmah) says it is possible to draw part of the body such as a hand or foot, etc, because these parts cannot live independently, and the apparent meaning of the texts is that what is forbidden is that which could live (independently).

If one is too worried about failing his/her exam (in this life) by NOT drawing pictures, should perhaps think what will happen if (Allah Taa’la forbid) he/she fails their exam in the Hereafter BY drawing pictures.
    (VERILY, ALLAH TAA’LA IS ALL-KNOWING!)

Verily, Allah Taa’la is All-Knowing.

I hope this is useful to you.

Wassalaam Ma’al Ikraam

SHAYKH (Maulana) Hafeezud Din
    ON THE AUTHORITY OF
    THE SHAR’IAH COUNCIL
    Maulana Hafeezud Din
    www.thenoor.tv / SHARI'AH COUNCIL MEMBER
    Birmingham, UK
    DON'T ASK WHO'S A GOOD MUSLIM? BE ONE YOURSELF!
    Teach PEACE! Teach ISLAM!

Umm-RiiYaaQQ

bigring Re: Are Pictures Allowed in Islam??

Salam

Jazakallahu kheyr!

that was useful!

Account Disabled

Is there a difference between drawing actual pictures and photographs ?

I think it's obvious that drawing pictures by hand (or in this day and age, via computers) is prohibited, but what about photographs ?

Where they are 'created' by light sources ?

By a mechanical instrument ? (i.e. a camera)

Account Disabled

Anyone got any comments on the above ?

without meaning to undermine the fatwa from Moulana Mullah Din their is a difference of opinion on the issue of photography within Islam.

For example the majority of deobandi hanafi's forbid photography while the Shami (Arab) Hanafi's usually allow it.

One of the Hanafi Ulema to allow it was Imam Muhammad Bakhit al-Muti`i of Cairo, whom Imam Kawthari referred to as the faqih of his age.

The noble Shaykh wrote a whole treatise titled al-Jawab al-Shafi fi Ibahat Surat al-Photography in support of this view of permissibility.

His basic understanding is that the reason behind the prohibition of painting pictures (in the words of the Hadith) is challenging Allah in His Creating of living creatures. In camera photos, however, one does not produce an image through one's own imagination; hence one is not challenging the Creating of Allah as such. It is merely a reflection of a living being already created by Allah Most High.

The opinion of Sayyiduna Imam Malik (Rahimullah) and the Maliki school is that only those pictures are unlawful that are three-dimensional and have a body to them, such as statues and sculptures. A picture that does not have a body or shadow to it will not be unlawful although somewhat disliked, such as drawing a picture on a paper, cloth or on any other object.

Imam Ibn Juzayy clarifies the mashhur in al-Qawanin al-Fiqhiyyah in which he states there are three sayings on 2d pictures in the school of Imam Malik - mubah, haram, and makruh. The mashhur is that 2d pictures are mubah but they are makruh if put on the wall or any place of respect.

This is further clarified in the commentary on the Risalah by Ibn Abi Zayd al-Qayrawani. When asked Shaykh Abu Qanit al-Hassani said that 2d pictures are lawful and not unlawful idols and gave the same position as Imam Ibn Juzayy.

Here is the origian arabic ruling by Imam Ibn Juzayy (Rahimullah) in al-Qawanin al-Fiqhiyyah.

الباب الثامن عشر في أحكام الدواب والتصوير وفيه خمس مسائل

( المسألة الأولى ) في وسم الدواب ولا بأس بوسم الحيوان كله بعلامة يعرف بها ويكره الوسم في الوجه لأنه مثلة وتوسم الغنم في آذانها لتعذره في أجسادها لأنه يغيب بالصوف ومن له سمة قديمة فأراد غيره أن يحدث مثلها منع خوف اللبس
    ( المسألة الثانية ) في الخصاء ويجوز خصاء الغنم وسائر الدواب إلا الخيل لأن الغنم تراد للأكل وخصاؤها يزيد في سمنها والخيل تراد للركوب وخصاؤها ينقص من قوتها ويقطع نسلها وإذا كلب الفرس وخبث فلا بأس أن يخصى ويجوز أن ينزى حمار على فرس

عربية
    ( المسألة الثالثة ) لا يجوز شد الأوتار على الدواب ولا تعليق الأجراس عليها للنهي عن ذلك في الحديث وهي الجلاجل الكبار بخلاف الصغار وكلما عظم الجرس كان أشد في المنع لشبهه بالناقوس وقيل لأنه يعلم العدو بنا فيقصدنا إن كان طالبا ويبعد إن

كان هاربا
    ( المسألة الرابعة ) في قتل الدواب المؤذية أما الحيات التي في البيوت فتؤذن ثلاثة أيام فإن بدا بعد ذلك قتل واختلف هل ذلك عام في جميع البيوت أم خاص بالمدينة ولا يؤذن ما يوجد من الحيات في غير البيوت كالصحاري والأودية بل تقتل وأما لوزع فيقتل حيث ما وجد وكذلك الحدأ والغراب والفأرة والكلب العقور لأنها الفواسق التي أمر بقتلها في الحل والحرم وكذلكالزنبور وأما النمل والنحل فلا يفتل إلا أن يؤذي ولا يقتل شيء من الحيوان بالنار
    ( المسألة الخامسة ) لا يجوز عمل التماثيل على صورة الإنسان أو شيء من الحيوان ولا استعمالها في شيء أصلا والمحرم من ذلك بالإجماع ما له قائم على صفة ما يحيى من الحيوان وما سوى ذلك من الرسوم في الحيطان أو الرقوم في الستور والبسط والوسائد ففيه أربعة أقوال المنع والجواز والكراهة واختصاص الجواز بما يمتهن كالبسط بخلاف الستور والمعلقة ويباح لعب الجواري بالصور الناقصة غير التامة الخلقة كالعظام التي ترسم فيها وجوه وقال أصبغ الذي يباح ما يسرع إليه البلى
    The spiritual warrior is he who breaks an idol;
    and the idol of each person is his Ego.

- Imam Abul Qasim al-Qushayri

Account Disabled

JZK for that - much appreciated.

i guess opinion is divided - oh well...