Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    342 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Post Writing the killer CV

We are not concerned with standard CV's, those boring grey documents which exude nothing but the lack of imagination of the writer. What we aim for is the 'Killer CV' that goes straight for the jugular and screams out to the reader.
    By combining razor sharp content that is clear, concise and instantly accessible with striking layout that adheres to the tried and tested conventions of CV writing, you will be half way to getting the perfect job.

What is a CV and what can it do for you?

If you buy a new stereo you make a point of reading its specification to make sure it can perform all the tasks you want it to do. An employer reads your CV for much the same purpose.
    A CV is your personal specification, it documents your abilities, and shows the reader what you are capable of.

Curriculum Vitae is Latin for "course of life"

• An employer may have a pile of one hundred CV's on his/her desk and from those applicants only ten will be chosen for interview. A well written CV will get you that interview.
    • During the interview the only source of information the employer has about you is your covering letter and CV, therefore many of the questions that will be posed will be based upon aspects of those documents - so make sure you know what you've put before them.
    • Afterwards the interviewer may once again refer back to your CV to remind themselves of your abilities, and depending upon how you performed at the interview you will be offered the job.
    • Finally the CV can be influential during salary negotiations as it details your skills and experience; your salary will be partially based upon these factors.
    A CV should always be considered work in progress
    What to put in your CV?

An employer needs facts about your skills, experience, qualifications, and some personal insight. If they like what they read then they will require contact information to get in touch with you.
    The order in which these facts are documented is important. Convention states that contact details should be at the top, then a brief introduction, then employment history, followed by qualifications and personal interests.

Contact details
    Often CV's are kept on file for long periods so any contact details you give have to remain accurate in the long term. A daytime phone number is most important, include your mobile number if you have one. Include an e-mail address, a Hotmail address is good because you will have it for life. If you have your own URL domain name put it down for added class, for example [email protected].

Date of birth and nationality
    Employers are not allowed to discriminate, but putting these details down saves them having to ask you. If you are not a citizen of the country in which you are applying special arrangements may have to be made.

Introduction
    Write a brief and powerful introduction last thing after you have written everything else. Sum up your key qualities and include your aims. There is no need to head this section as it is self-evident.

Previous employment
    Write in reverse chronological order, including starting and leaving dates for each position. Include concise details of what the job entailed, your responsibilities and what you achieved in the role. If there are any time gaps between employment explain what you were doing in that time, for example travelling, at college, carrying out charity fund raising work.
    Use active verbs to describe your achievements, for example "I have experience in¿ I am trained in¿ I managed... I developed, I co-ordinated etc. Bullet point these at the start of a sentence for maximum impact.

Qualifications
    There is no need to list all of your O-Level/GCSE subjects, simply write something like, 10 GCSE's A-C including Mathematics and English. A-Level and degree qualifications can be listed, the grades do not have to be included. List only the academic centres where a qualification was earned in reverse chronological order with dates.

Hobbies and interests
    This give an insight into your personality. Consider carefully what you are putting down and its implications. Team events indicate that you are a team player, other activities such as Scouting, CCF, Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme show commitment and the fact you are not adverse to a challenge. If you like reading say whom you favourite author is.

Keep this section very brief, do not list ALL of your interests and hobbies.You do not want to give the employer the impression you would rather be doing your hobbies, or travelling around the world than doing the job you are being considered for.

References
    Unless you have a reference that you are particularly proud of, for example a letter written by Richard Branson saying that you are the 'bees knees', then it is advisable not to include references in the CV. Instead simply write "References available on request".

Don't over play or under play your achievements

Format
    • Use a word processor to write your CV, sometimes a company may specify that they want a hand written covering letter but the CV should always be typed - remember quality of presentation should never be ignored.
    • No longer than two sides of A4 and put the most important information on page one. Do not print on both sides of the paper.
    • It is crucial to keep things concise because you will probably find that two pages provide not a lot of room to include all of your details, intelligent formatting is required. Make the layout clear logical and not cluttered, use sensible margin spacing.
    • Use the best quality paper you can get hold of, but use common sense, do not send paper that is too thick.
    • Bulleted paragraphs are a good way to save space and add impact to statements.
    • Titles are required so that an employer can instantly see just what he/she wants to read. But try to avoid using formulaic titles such as Skills, Objectives, Profile, Introduction etc. Instead use a few sensible broad headings, 'Career', 'Personal', 'Professional'
    • Talented design and layout with flashy type settings cannot fail to impress, however do not over do it, smart design cannot be considered a substitute for quality content. Another problem with complex formatting is that when it comes to posting your CV online, often the format is lost. Ideally have two versions, one flashy CV which can be snail mailed and e-mailed in Word, or PDF format and one which is txt. format which can be cut and pasted into online CV fields.
    • Tailor your CV to each separate position when possible by carrying out some research into the company (the easiest way to do this is to look at their website) - see section on tailoring your CV.
    Do not quote your previous salaries, and do not state why you left previous jobs

Points for those new to the rat race

If you are fresh out of university, college, or school it is possible that filling two sides of A4 with details of experience could prove tricky. Describe what skills you have learnt and put into practice during your studies, for example working in-groups, presentation skills, perhaps you have carried out some unpaid work experience. Do not worry about your CV being thin to begin with, everybody has to start somewhere.
    Demonstrate on paper the benefits you could bring to the employer's organisation

Language
    • Try to slip in some relevant industry buzzwords, because it is a fact that employers scan read CV's and you want them to think that you know what you are talking about.
    • Use simple language, you are not trying to impress anyone with your verbosity. • Back up your statements with evidence, for example 'Excellent organisational skills, I single handedly transferred all the company records onto CD ROM.' Similarly, try to quantify every statement, for example 'launched new marketing initiative which resulted in additional revenue of 45K'.
    • Some things just don't need to be said, for example if the employer has read your covering letter and CV, then it should be evident to them that you are a good communicator. There is no need to state it separately; you don't want to come across as being naïve. Similarly you don't need to write CV at the top.
    • Write a positive objective statement clarifying where you want your career to go, avoid any negative language in your CV.
    • Try to avoid using 'I' too much. A page of I did this and that is a big turn-off - it says to the employer you haven't thought about them, only about yourself.
    • An employer is not going to be interested in someone who has apparently drifted from job to job, perhaps across sectors. There should be some consistency and progression so that your career seems planned. Employers want candidates who are targeted and focused, ambitious types who know what they want and where they are heading. Your CV should reflect this considered progression.
    • Always be honest, do not write anything in your CV that you would not feel comfortable talking about at an interview.
    • Get someone else to read your CV for a second opinion, you may have missed some grammatical or spelling errors.

It should be noted that there are no universal rules, this document is only a guide, the key is to incorporate all of the necessary elements, follow the conventions, and then incorporate your own individuality.
    Take a step into our unique Muslim Montessori school:
    http://campaign.justgiving.com/…/a-…/buildalamiyahschool2015

Donate your sadaqah to help build a Model School for all our children.
    Please watch our school appeal: https://youtu.be/SY819jmCbzw

Text SCHL15 followed by £10 to 70070 and make a difference.
    Please forward this message to help turn this vision into a reality.

The Prophet (SAW) also said, "The believer's shade on the Day of Resurrection will be his Sadaqah." (Ahmad)

‪#‎ChangingEducation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Writing the killer CV

aww maaaaaaaaan why didnt i see this sticky yesterday?
    Quote Originally Posted by hypocrite
    Bidah! Shirk! Murtard! Kufr! Man i hate the kuffar so much, i hate this country. I care much more about my brothers and sisters in Islam than you, because i say i do. Thats why i live here, claim benefits and moan when my dole payment is late.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sample CV anyone?
    Please Re-update your Signature

I'm a brother!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)

I recently finished writting my mid-career cv which needs checking. Any CV experts here who can check it for me?

I live in the UK and want to apply for jobs in an arab country and don't know where to start!

If you have the time to check it, please PM me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

This is the layout for my CV.

Curriculum vitae

Address line 1•Address line2 • Home Telephone: •

Shazan ********* ******* *******

Personal qualities

Little induction about yourself

Education

Start with Secondary School

College

Uninversity

Work Experience:

Simply Computers Plc (March 2001-May 2002) (Title of Job)

Bullet point your duties

Arla Foods January 25th 2004 –March 2006,

John Mezies Distribution
    EDF engery

Alstom Transport

Interests
    State what yoour interest are....

Other Experience

· Full U.K Driving licence (for example)

Full References are available upon request

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Last edited by (*_Hamzah; 24-09-06 at 12:48 PM.

ღLABBAYK YAA ALLAAHღ *IslamicGirl*'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by *IslamicGirl* View Post

Everyone make Dua i get a year's placement locally and i'll post mine up

How's that for a deal?

Alhamdulillah got my placement so got to fill the deal InshaAllah

Let me edit then upload I don't want to put personal info in

Allah and His angels call down blessings on the Prophet . O you who believe! call down blessings on him and ask for complete peace and safety for him (33:56)

Sweetness of Imaan(Faith) me.sawda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Its very helpful but one sample CV would be great!

''And the one who fears Allah, he makes for him a way out'' ](Quran65:2)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)

What if you don't have any references/part time job apart from 2 weeks work experience during high school?
    Oh Allah,
    Make me want that which is beneficial for me...
    And make beneficial for me that which I want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Al Qadr View Post
    What if you don't have any references/part time job apart from 2 weeks work experience during high school?
    get your head of 6th form to write you a referance, its part of their job spec. or ask your old form tutor. or just give me it, al right you one.
    Sayyiduna Umar (Allah be pleased with him) said, "I heard the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) say, “If you relied on Allah as He should be relied on, He would provide for you as He provides for birds.
    They go out hungry in the early morning, and return full in the evening." [Tirmidhi]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Do not try to run away from trials and tribulations, but endure them with patience. They cannot be avoided, and there is nothing for it but to endure them with patience. How can you expect the whole of this world, and all that has been created therein, to undergo change and transformation just to suit your convenience? The Prophets are the best of all creatures, yet they have always had to suffer afflictions and so it is for their followers, those who tread in their footsteps as they walk along their highway, emulating their example.

Shaikh Abdul Qadir al-Jilani

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by *Eemaan* View Post
    get your head of 6th form to write you a referance, its part of their job spec. or ask your old form tutor. or just give me it, al right you one.
    lol,
    Oh Allah,
    Make me want that which is beneficial for me...
    And make beneficial for me that which I want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hmm..This Threadz Unique..Never Saw Something Like This On A Forum...

JZK For Sharing This

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

::eek:: Re: Writing the killer CV

omdz! dat is long! jus 2 get a job. i do enough cousrework as it is!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bintadam View Post
    omdz! dat is long! jus 2 get a job. i do enough cousrework as it is!!!!
    nothing good in life comes easy

Nov 02 - Mar 07 *Salaam* Mr_Jailer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Salaam,

On my CV, I'm tryin' to say the followin'.... any ideas / suggestions on how I should lay out / word the followin'?

Desktop Support Technician

- Administration and technical support for 200 in-house and remote site users.

- Problem solving printers, desktop PCs, laptops and Blackberry devices. Troubleshooting software issues using Dameware or customer facing.

-
    Complete PC and laptop system builds with Ghosting and client specific configurations for Lotus Notes, Webmail, Outlook and others.

-
    User management with Active Directory / Exchange and Lotus Domino Administrator.

- Monitoring and managing the backup process using Veritas Backup Exec.

- Monitoring iHeat, prioritising workload and updating customers regularly.
    Rabbana atinaa fidDunya hasanatan wa fil Akhirati hasanatan wa qinaa adhaban Naar

jafrene
    Guests

Can i just say i worked really hard on my CV , plus i put soooooo many cool thing i do. and i gave my CV to all RETAIL stores yet i didnt get a job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

alhumdulillah i dont have to worry about CVs anymore, what a nightmare!
    The Prophet SAW said, "(There are2words which R dear 2 the most gracious (Allah SWT)&very easy4the tongue2say but very heavy in the balance.They are:Subhan Allahi Wa Bihamdihi - Subhan Allahil-Azim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

jk
    i need this for the summer.
    the more i learn; the more i learn of my ignorance.
    ~ imam shafi'i

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Icon6 Re: Writing the killer CV

You're SO right @ ghanamuslima

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thank You..

Kpmeclsdntltmegoastryyaal ღ♥JuSt*bLuShInGღ♥'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

gr8 post mashallah seven

i used it today to help out one of my clients.

w'salam
    j u s t B ...y o u r s e l f.

Life on the road... RoadWarrior's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Assalaamualaykum,

Does the brother still help out with CV's? I have a CV here that could do with reading through for advice?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
    Assalaamualaykum,

Does the brother still help out with CV's? I have a CV here that could do with reading through for advice?

i could check it for you if you want? (you can omit personal details )

Quote Originally Posted by *IslamicGirl* View Post

Everyone make Dua i get a year's placement locally and i'll post mine up

How's that for a deal?

I completely forgot my promise here, i will find my cv, cut the person details and upload as stated.

I did my placement year and even came out of it unscathed Alhamdulillah so i will try and find my cv and post it up

Allah and His angels call down blessings on the Prophet . O you who believe! call down blessings on him and ask for complete peace and safety for him (33:56)

Life on the road... RoadWarrior's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh sis that would be fantastic!!! Could you just let me know what experience you have with CV's or if its something to do with your career then what that is?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
    Oh sis that would be fantastic!!! Could you just let me know what experience you have with CV's or if its something to do with your career then what that is?
    Sure

Basically i've always liked the english langauge and so love essay writing and so on- Allah knows why i picked a comp sci degree but i like stuff to do with this. I wrote my CV a few years back to try and get a summer job and expanded on it every year.

Attended loads of agencies & fairs to gain more knowledge. I worked for a company where the employees range in hundreds of thousands if not millions, i've had access to many CV's from others and read them too- attended meetings and actual interview to see how the whole stage is played out amongst other stuff.

Yet it it's about you generally- how you display yourself, you don't even need all the stuff they ask in a job desc but it's how you present yourself which counts- they look at your style, technique.

Having good morals is belive it or not important- honesty, trust, hard working they are noted and you don't have to write this down for them to pick up on it.

~**~**~**~**~**~ ze leetle elper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Here is a rough outline of what my CV looked like when I was still at University, and applying for arty farty type jobs lol Keep in mind its an old layout so you can edit it to make it more up to date. Also if you are into IT etc, you should have a section regarding programs you know, applications etc. Personal profile is not that important on a technical CV. Always tailor your CV to suit the vacancy you are applying for and to emphasize your best qualities

Keep your CV clean, simple and to the point; don't beat around the bush with your words
    Last edited by ze leetle elper; 16-04-08 at 04:12 PM.
    What does 'freedom' mean?

Does the eagle want to swim in the sea,
    Restricted by the sky?

Does the fish want to dance on the wind,
    Not enough river to explore?

Yet the sky is freedom for the bird
    but death for the fish,

The sea is wide for the fish
    but will engulf the bird.

We ask for freedom but freedom to do what?
    We can only express our nature as it was created.

The prayer mat of the earth is freedom,
    freedom from slavery to other than the One,
    Who offers an shoreless ocean of love to swim in
    and a horizon that extends to the next life,
    Yet we chose the prison and call it freedom.

“All our handling of the child will bear fruit, not only at the moment, but in the adult they are destined to become.” Donate today! http://campaign.justgiving.com/chari...iyahschool2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Go to library or waterstones in the Career section.

Get sample CV book. They have loads of books with have excellent sample cv and also excllent cover letters.

~ Chicken Little ~ CryingForGaza's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

i dont know what to writeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, it seems as though im writting a story lmao. do i have to write done my gcse grades or can i just write i did well in them ... or at least something down those lines...? is 4 short term work experiences ok?
    "Then Which Of The Favours Of Your Lord Will You Deny"

Surah Ar Rahman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CryingForGaza View Post
    i dont know what to writeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, it seems as though im writting a story lmao. do i have to write done my gcse grades or can i just write i did well in them ... or at least something down those lines...? is 4 short term work experiences ok?

this is a really good guideline for a starter CV

http://www.careers.brad.ac.uk/studen...ideline_CV.pdf

some things are optional, so make note, and also with regards to GCSE's, you only need to list a few, like the first 3 best ones or something

do you have a deadline for your CV?
    "The successful marriage is not when you can live in peace with each other, but when you can't live in peace without each other."
    Friends of Al Aqsa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by slaveofalmajeed View Post
    Can you please post a sample CV please inshaallah?
    Since when did killers require cv's?

~ Chicken Little ~ CryingForGaza's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aurorascopic View Post
    this is a really good guideline for a starter CV

http://www.careers.brad.ac.uk/studen...ideline_CV.pdf

some things are optional, so make note, and also with regards to GCSE's, you only need to list a few, like the first 3 best ones or something

do you have a deadline for your CV?
    no nopt really but inshallah i need to get a job soon :S in in debt already at this ageeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    "Then Which Of The Favours Of Your Lord Will You Deny"

Surah Ar Rahman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CryingForGaza View Post
    no nopt really but inshallah i need to get a job soon :S in in debt already at this ageeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    ok I can help you out so if you want to PM me your current CV or details you want to include in your CV (you can omit your personal stuff like name/address) etc I'll try my best, inshallah.

I'll probs get back to you after tomorrow though (I have some deadlines).
    "The successful marriage is not when you can live in peace with each other, but when you can't live in peace without each other."
    Friends of Al Aqsa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Icon14 Re: Writing the killer CV

Jazakallahu Khairan for taking your time to write this beautiful guide!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

my cv needs alot of polishing.Is there anyone who can help?.Im desperate for a job.

Odan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No DOB should be on CV.

Also would be nice for a sample good cv to bs attached.

Others can google best cv.

Quote Originally Posted by seven View Post

Date of birth and nationality
    Employers are not allowed to discriminate, but putting these details down saves them having to ask you. If you are not a citizen of the country in which you are applying special arrangements may have to be made.

Odan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A cover letter should be attached with cv.

Cv and cover letter should be tailored for each job.

Good examples of cover letters can be found on net google best cover letters.

You can make books on cv from library and waterstone careers sections (21days return policy they have).

Whimsith have 30 days return policy but may not have as many books on cv/cover letters as waterstones.

So may be better to go for waterstones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would like to share with you information that seems to me to be useful to anyone who wants to get the opportunity to study abroad and to find challenging work . An independent non-profit organization Educate The Planet gives you the opportunity to get a free scholarship to study in the UK and other countries for students from developing countries. If you are interested in this perspective, please visit our website Educate The Planet where you will find more information

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Thanks for the tips! I will have to write an introductory essay soon. My brother ordered a resume in service http://buzzessay.com/ , I think to order there is an introductory essay, so I'll have a professionally written example. I would like to write something unusual. I think a lot depends on the essay for admission to college. Can You to advise me something from personal experience? What was right in your essay?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Great help to create our CV. It is most difficult to decide the correct format for the CV but this one looks good to impress the recruiters.