Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

jilbab/abaya sewing patterns

There all too expensive online, especially if i wanna buy a few.
    So does anyone have sewing patterns?

Re: jilbab/abaya sewing patterns

Salaam Aleykum wr wbr,ughtii
    Use, the one u already have, if u don’t have one buy one insha Allah. So u can use the jilbab as pattern

Jilbab is very easy to make a masha Allah, Success!!
    may Allah swt make it easy for u Ameen

BTW Why are u shy to ask that question? u right why buy a expensive jilab in the shop when u can make it very easy ur self. The female companies of Muhammes (saw) make everything them self. Allot of female don’t know even how to cook, sorry men aswell.

But in my opinion a women should try to learn how to sew, cause its better to use ur free time on that then watching tv as a hobby. U can make abayas and jilbab ur self.Also u can help ur husband to make his trousers and khimes shorter.
    They want to extinguish Allah's Light with their mouths, but Allah will not allow except that His Light should be perfected even though the disbelievers hate (it).)- It is He Who has sent His Messenger with guidance and the religion of truth, to make it superior over all religions even though the idolators hate (it).) Surah Al-Tawbah 32-33

Yeah i was thinking of using one of mine as a template.
    but ive never sewed anything in my life before, im worried it will look a mess!
    ive never really used a sewing machine either.
    does it take long to make?

you right, aldhamdulillah. why is everything so pricey these days!?

Quote Originally Posted by Rouz View Post

Well done you!

Use the one you got, it's very simple only YOU can make it complicated, I think you do the body first, then the arms,

All straight lines and a few curves really, piece of cake sis,

All the best.
    *Pokes everyone in the eye with a carrot*
    Muslim Business Directory

Watch ALL Muslim TV Channels here:
    Al Jazeera Live Press TV Islam Channel Peace TV Al Huda

Sis, if uve never done it before...id advise u to get help frm someone first...running a straight stich on the sewing machine is not as easy as people think!!
    "Ask (questions from) the learned, speak with the wise, and associate with the poor."

LEARN TO WRITE YOUR HURTS IN
    THE SAND AND TO CARVE YOUR BENEFITS IN STONE

ukhti, sorry i dont have any patterns or even know how to sew a jilbab, i always get stuck with adding the arms pieces , necklines, and sewing the shoulders straight maybe some sisters here can give tips on getting that right

there is a sister who makes them at very reasonable price though alhamdulillah, the site is here and pics of the jilbabs at the bottem

http://rushsjilbabs.spaces.live.com/...05CD85DCB!122/
    Last edited by *asiya*; 09-05-08 at 12:27 AM.
    "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Quote Originally Posted by ~Warda~ View Post
    Sis, if uve never done it before...id advise u to get help frm someone first...running a straight stich on the sewing machine is not as easy as people think!!
    Lol sister!!

Quote Originally Posted by `asiya View Post
    ukhti, sorry i dont have any patterns or even know how to sew a jilbab, i always get stuck with adding the arms pieces , necklines, and sewing the shoulders straight maybe some sisters here can give tips on getting that right

there is a sister who makes them at very reasonable price though alhamdulillah, the site is here and pics of the jilbabs at the bottem

http://rushsjilbabs.spaces.live.com/...05CD85DCB!122/

MashaAllah this sister looks very talented! asiya

*bump*

Contemplating approaching a needle again, but the thought of attempting to do something like copy an existing jilbaab sounds rather nefarious to me, I'd somehow end up destroying the new material and the old one too

Any surefire patterns? Nothing fancy..
    It is narrated on the authority of Jabir that he heard the (Holy Prophet)[] say: A Muslim is he from whose hand and tongue the Muslims are safe.
    -Muslim

My cousin brought a jilbab from saudi and it was sewn frm just two pieces, the sleves were cut out with the main piece of the jilbab so all u have to do is sew the back and the front....ur gona need silky material though seeing as thers no shoulder stitch but it lukd nice and loose

jilbabs are actually easier to make however if uve never sewn before, plz get professional help..or at least someone who knows how to operate a sewing machine. lol
    Which is it, of the favours of your Lord, that ye deny?
    Surah Ar Rahman
    Joy and sorrow are the light and shade of life: without light and shade no picture is clear.
    Inayat Khan

go to www.hijabonline.co.uk the jilbabs start at under£20, in Green st you can get jilbabs for a tenner....

♥ a crooked rib ♥ ~TwinklingStar~'s Avatar

If you've never operated a sewing machine before, it won't be very easy then. In the beginning, its soo difficult to sew ,,,even getting a line straight , you'll have to stitch, open , stitch, open...

Before you start sewing bigger garments, you'd first need to practice on smaller items like caps, bibs, frocks etc.

No wonder the entire tailoring course takes 1 or 2 years to complete

The weird Muppet I can be at times..........I have actually made 2 of my own abayas...and im contemplating making another one, because I have some gorgeous "abaya" material.

If I had the time and I wore abayas regularly, I would make my own all the time....Inshallah in the future.

I dont particularly like fancy abayas so mine are very practical and simple with lots of attention to detail, Jenicca style.....one of them was a chocolate brown one, with cream piping on the edges of the sleeves with a Moroccan style slits at the side. Ive had it years

Its nice when you can make your own stuff cuz u can adapt it to suit your individual taste and style

However if you are a novice Id advise you to take a dressmaking course, if you are in the UK the City and Guilds courses are really good. If you have a good tutor you can adapt your pattern making to what you want to make once youve covered the basics.

I studied this whilst at uni for a year at the weekends and I am....well my mum forced me to do it, but Alhumdollilah, now I am so glad....because I can make my own stuf the way I want it.

If you’ve never sat on a sewing machine before Id advise you to get to grips with that before attempting anything else.

Charity shops and second hand book shops do good sewing books to pick up basic handy tips you will need, such at stitching, hemming, adding interfacing, basic pattern making etc etc But its so much easier with a teacher, Is there a seamstress in your community willing to give you a few lessons??

Ummm first one I made a pattern, second abaya I shaped the bottom bit from the armhole downwards freehand. One of the main reasons was I wanted a closed abaya for Hajj rather than the open front button ones that might risk opening up.

My mum offered to buy one of my choice because I spend so much time faffing around over it.....but making it is so much nicer!

One more thing….if you are gonna make one….practise on some cheapy material first…..

Good Luck Pm me if you want lol…..
    وَالْعَصْرِ

إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ لَفِي خُسْرٍ

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

If Allah (swt) only sent this Surah to us for the guidance of Mankind, this will be enough for us” - Imam Shaafi'ee r.a.

Revive A Sunnah

The Qur'an Club !!

ohhh my...this thread is so old

well i tell you now, i never did sew anything and dont intend to risk it!, i found a few reasonably good priced shops

Quote Originally Posted by naila-k View Post
    go to www.hijabonline.co.uk the jilbabs start at under£20, in Green st you can get jilbabs for a tenner....
    Ive bought one from there, its really good quality mashaAllah, and i got a free perfume with it! Would recommend.

I think you can find a few good buys on ebay now aswell. Theres quite a few shops that sell on there, so theyre brand new abayas.
    Patience...

Abd

It's good to learn to sew clothing. It shouldn't distract us from other important matters though. If time is an issue why not buy ready made jilbabs for good prices instead?

This shop has a few good models in different colours and the prices for affordable prices.

http://www.hijabnow.com

walaikum assalam,

I thinking you should have look this blog which is providing many free sewing patterns which is submitted by users like me and you.

I am visiting this blog often for some craft projects and different ideas for sewing patterns

Khuda Hafiz

I borrowed a selection of Abaya's off my friends, different styles- some were simple, some had different cuts and pleats in etc. Use these Abaya's as a template for sewing them in the future.

Before attempting to cut pattern pieces, you should be familiar with the basics first. I took up Textiles during high school so I already knew what I was doing. You can use pattern paper [available in sewing shops]

Or if you're on a budget you can use newspaper [all sellotaped together] or use my idea below.

I took some brand new unused bin liners [without opening them] and selotaped them together so that it looked roughly like one large sheet of plastic - I placed an Abaya on top, drew round the Abaya [leaving 1.5cm for seam allowance] I used a chalk to draw round and then I cut the Abaya shape out with scissors. I then drew around the arm as a seperate piece and cut it out.

Zebunissa's post above is as she says REMEMBER SEAM ALLOWANCES

You can take any piece of clothing and with greaseproof paper/wax paper rub a tracing of the seams and details to copy. If you take an old one apart that is even better as it will be more accurate for pleats etc if you are doing a more complicated one.

Using a sewing machine is quite easy , but sewing by hand is not that hard either, just learn to do a simple back stich.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Backstitch < this is for embroidery but back stitch is a basic practical stitch for sewing 2 pieces of cloth together too!
    Probably, no nation is rich enough to pay for both war and civilization. We must make our choice; we cannot have both.~Abraham Flexner

7mdulillah! Proud2bMuslim

Salam sis try these links inchallah they will help

http://sewingpage.com/index.php
    http://www.modestclothes.com/patterns.htm
    There is also a Muslimah Sewing Egroup at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/muslimasewing/join

Good luck sis , if you do decide to sew let us know how it turned out

BUMP

does anyone know where I can find some patterns for making different styles of abaya?

or anyone else who sews, do you know what other patterns I could buy to adapt to make abayas & thobes?

JazakAllah khayr in advance

"How often we cry over Fate, but abundant good lies just behind it. O soul, it is goodness, even if it arrives after a while."

Hey Hafsah.....i made my own abayad pattern from using an existing abayah measurements, maybe you could do that and then keep cheap material and then play around with it.

Its shame I used to love sewing, I used to make my own clothes as well, but these days im just so darn lazy, that I get them all made....what a waste
    وَالْعَصْرِ

إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ لَفِي خُسْرٍ

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

If Allah (swt) only sent this Surah to us for the guidance of Mankind, this will be enough for us” - Imam Shaafi'ee r.a.

Revive A Sunnah

The Qur'an Club !!

lol at all the bumping.

ive still never sewn anything..
    Patience...

Quote Originally Posted by Jenicca View Post
    Hey Hafsah.....i made my own abayad pattern from using an existing abayah measurements, maybe you could do that and then keep cheap material and then play around with it.
    that is a good idea, and thats what I usually do but I wanna make different styles, and I am too lazy to make my own patterns through logic and adapting abaya's I already have!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenicca View Post
    Its shame I used to love sewing, I used to make my own clothes as well, but these days im just so darn lazy, that I get them all made....what a waste
    same, but now I want to be the one who makes for other people! so I need to start practicing insha'Allah!

"How often we cry over Fate, but abundant good lies just behind it. O soul, it is goodness, even if it arrives after a while."

Quote Originally Posted by ♥Hafsah♥ View Post
    same, but now I want to be the one who makes for other people! so I need to start practicing insha'Allah!
    Habibati you make away for me...I don't mind dodgy hems and what not if it's coming from you!
    ربنا واجعلنا مسلمين لك ومن ذريتنا أمة مسلمة لك وأرنا مناسكنا وتب علينا إنك أنت التواب الرحيم

Our Lord, make us Muslims submitted to You, and our descendants a Muslim community submitted to You. Show us our rites of worship and turn towards us. You are the Ever-Returning, the Most Merciful. [2: 128]

http://livingthemuslimlife.wordpress.com/

lol at all the bumping.

ive still never sewn anything..
    I was searching in google and this thread came up!

its never to late to start sewing..if I find any good patterns I will send them your way so you have no excuse!

Quote Originally Posted by eternal journey View Post
    Habibati you make away for me...I don't mind dodgy hems and what not if it's coming from you!
    you may regret saying that when I make you my guinnea pig!

Quote Originally Posted by ♥Hafsah♥ View Post
    I was searching in google and this thread came up!

its never to late to start sewing..if I find any good patterns I will send them your way so you have no excuse!

!
    lol .. i did search dressmaking courses once, but ive never got round to it. i dont think id learn anything in 2 days though..and the actual proper courses theyre expensive. luckily i have my lovely mother who could teach me!
    Patience...

Assalam Alaykum Sisters!
    I'm totally new on this site lol, I registered so I could reply to this post
    And I hope the sister who asked the Q originally has made her abaya already hehe

*If you have an existing abaya/jilbab, just turn it inside out, and pin it (using sewing pins or needles) onto the wrong side of your material.
    *Trace along the abaya/jilbab onto your material of choice, preferably with tailor's chalk or washable pen. Don't trace the sleeves just yet, so what you'll have to do is fold the sleeve in. Then trace along the armhole, so you have an "armless" body pattern.
    *For the arms, open out the sleeves again. You'll notice a folded top, and a stitched hem part on the bottom on your sleeve. Place these on your material that you will fold now. Trace the sleeves caref
    *Remove the abaya from the material, and ogle your pattern lol... And trace another outline about 1"-2" if you have enough material left. This is your seam allowance.
    *Make sure you "wind your bobbin up" and insert it into the bobbin case, making sure the two little arm things snap in place. Take your spool of thread and follow the guides (or numbers, letters) on your sewing machine and thread the needle.
    *Turn your sewing machine on!
    *Hem the bottom length of your abaya first. Do the two pieces seperately!
    *Now place the two abaya bpdy pieces against each other, and sew from the bottom up to where the armhole begins. Do this on the other side too.
    *Then you'll sew from shoulder to collar. So this basically leaves you with open armholes, and open neck.
    *Now the sleeve is the caziest part! Hem the cuff of the sleeve first, or else you won't be able to later! You're going to make your sleeve into a sort of "tube" like thing, so sew along the bottom of the sleeve from cuff to end.
    *Turn your abaya outside in again, so it's on it's "right/proper" side. Now align the sleeve tube you made to the armhole, and carefully stitch along. You have to do a lot of twisting and curving the material in this.
    *Turn it inside out again to examine if it's come out alright! Hem in all loose ends.
    *Take a length of doubled material and stitch along the neckline to create a collar.
    And you're done! If you want a zip, you can add it, or attach buttons or hooks or even velcro! Girly touches? Ribbons, bows, satin...

Account Disabled

even though this thread is 2 years old I can't believe a female cannot sew or is it spelt sow?
    even i can sew and I am male. It is easy peasy, lemon sqeezy.
    get yourself down to a pakistani community centre they always have these courses. when i am the markets the women are always buying material (kapra) and making their own clothes.
    practise makes perfect.

الحمد لله‎

^ not every female's into sewing like not every male learns to sew
    "We have a a history to be proud of and a future to believe in.."

Daily quotes from the scholars of Islam

I start with bismillah... mmmilkybar's Avatar

sisters,
    I sew my own abayas, and with practice comes perfect. If you don't have experience in making clothing or sewing then I suggest making doll size abayas first. Start off with simple ones and then start making your designs a bit more complex with experience. It takes me less than an hour to make an abaya as I've made so many and also saved so much money. I've browsed the net and have found this website which has patterns which you might find beneficial...
    http://clouddragon.wordpress.com/2009/02/12/make-your-own-abaya-part1/

WheN tHe WoRlD PuShEs yOu tO yOuR KnEeS, YoUr in ThE BeST PoSiTiOn to PrAy