Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Question: Alcohol in Mouthwash, is it ok to use?

Just curious if it was ok to use mouthwash with alcohol in it with alcohol being haram and what not. But the point is that I'm using it to clean my mouth out not to get drunk, but I'm still unsure if there's a specific ruling against it so if anyone could let me know would be most grateful.

Re: Question: Alcohol in Mouthwash, is it ok to use?

Yeah i asked my sis today. Though I didn't check for alcohol content in mine ..forgot!

I need some answers too!
    “The great Imam ash-Shafi’, he went to his teacher Waki`
    Complaining about the weakness of his memory.
    He told him, ‘abandon rebellion, for knowledge is a light
    And the light of Allah is not bestowed upon a rebel.”

.dum.vita.est.spes.est. Pippin1376's Avatar

Wouldn't it come down to intention? You are not using it to drink, plus you are spitting it all out. It would be like using alcohol swabs for a cut, right?
    "...And never give up hope of Allah's Soothing Mercy: truly no one despairs of Allah's Soothing Mercy, except those who have no faith."
    Surah Yusuf
    [12:87]

.:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
    Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

If you want to use mouthwash, use hydrogen peroxide! Good for your teeth, good for your mouth, CHEAPER than mouthwash!

Hold about a cap-ful or so in your mouth for a few minutes to kill germs and whiten teeth
    I like to quote myself
    - nomoreillusions

Quote Originally Posted by Pippin1376 View Post
    Wouldn't it come down to intention? You are not using it to drink, plus you are spitting it all out. It would be like using alcohol swabs for a cut, right?
    Yeh that's my point but if there's some ruling against it then I'll follow it

If u can find an alternative, ie. alcohol-free mouth-wash, then u should use the alcohol-free one. And anyways, my dentist told me that alcohol free ones are the best. And no, i dont think its like using alcohol swabs for a cut because theres a much higher risk of u swallowing it right?
    "Ask (questions from) the learned, speak with the wise, and associate with the poor."

LEARN TO WRITE YOUR HURTS IN
    THE SAND AND TO CARVE YOUR BENEFITS IN STONE

There are quite a few available to get which don't have alcohol.. so if you feel doubt why not get those, because they are readily available so no need really for us to get the alcohol ones?
    I think you will find fatwa for both view to say "its okay" or "its not okay".. but the thing is, u are putting it in ur mouth so u dnt know if u might swallow a tiny bit from it without noticing :S
    .: Rufaida :.
    .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.

“People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
    but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
    ~ Ibn Atallah

Quote Originally Posted by abdulhakeem23 View Post
    Just curious if it was ok to use mouthwash with alcohol in it with alcohol being haram and what not. But the point is that I'm using it to clean my mouth out not to get drunk, but I'm still unsure if there's a specific ruling against it so if anyone could let me know would be most grateful.
    Pour a glass of alcohol and drink it with the intention of drinking water is the same thing as above. Anything you doubt, you should not do it. You should check sister muslimmas thread reminder 10 or 11 i think.
    الصلوۃ والسلام علیک یا سیدی یارسول اللہ

Ajirnaa min an-Naar Ibn Al-Jarrah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nomoreillusions View Post
    If you want to use mouthwash, use hydrogen peroxide!
    r u serious?
    When my heart was hardened, and my courses constrained; I made my hope a stairway, to Your forgiveness. My sin burdened me heavily,but when I measured it by Your forgiveness, Lord, Your forgiveness was the greater.
    (Imam Shafi'i in his final sickness)

You'd have to ask mufti. But 90% of mouthwashes contain some alcohol - Dentyl Ph I think doesnt.

Using mouthwash excessively is also not beneficial as the alcohol dries the mouth and the sugar in some mouthwashes could actually feed bacteria rather than cleanse the oral cavity.
    #

BRRAAAPPP BRRRAAAPPPP
    Rajab is a month of cultivation, Shaban is month of irrigating the fields, and the month of Ramadhan is a month of reaping and harvesting.”

Kpmeclsdntltmegoastryyaal ღ♥JuSt*bLuShInGღ♥'s Avatar

narrated ab-nu'man bin bashir ra i heard allahs messenger saying: both legal and illegal things are evident but in between them there are doubtful (unclear) things, and most of the people have no knowledge about them. so whosoever saves himself from these doubtful things , he saves his religion and his honour.

-Bukhari

ther are so mnay alternatives i.e. the ones that dont contain alcohol whu risk the alcohol ones enshallah..?

The Reminders Thread!!

"T
    hose who compete for the aakhirah know that the aakhirah is infinite; it has enough for everybody whereas those who compete for the dunya have to be in the grip of envy, because the resources are always finite. "

"There's more to life than increasing it's speed. " =D

PLEASE KEEP ME IN YOUR DUAS
    j u s t B ...y o u r s e l f.

salams,

Just use Tom's of Maine.

http://www.tomsofmaine.com/toms/store_locator.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Medievalist View Post
    You'd have to ask mufti. But 90% of mouthwashes contain some alcohol - Dentyl Ph I think doesnt.

Using mouthwash excessively is also not beneficial as the alcohol dries the mouth and the sugar in some mouthwashes could actually feed bacteria rather than cleanse the oral cavity.
    #

BRRAAAPPP BRRRAAAPPPP
    yeh that one doesnt and there is a pink colgate one which doesnt, they write it clearly on the front of the packet alcohol free for the ones which dnt contain it
    .: Rufaida :.
    .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.

“People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
    but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
    ~ Ibn Atallah

Account Disabled

Quote Originally Posted by abdulhakeem23 View Post
    Try Dentyl Ph or Dentiplus, both available at Bodycare and alcohol free.

any alternative? alchol mouth wash also gives me a sore throat, someone said hydrogen peroxide, lol can u reaaly use that?
    "And so, those were his last words, he had difficulty breathing. Dying on the inside, internally bleeding. The Angel of Death, dragged him away while he was sleeping.... watched his world crumble in front of him, searching for meaning..."

Quote Originally Posted by junaid368 View Post
    any alternative? alchol mouth wash also gives me a sore throat, someone said hydrogen peroxide, lol can u reaaly use that?
    Trust me use Tom's

wats toms?
    "And so, those were his last words, he had difficulty breathing. Dying on the inside, internally bleeding. The Angel of Death, dragged him away while he was sleeping.... watched his world crumble in front of him, searching for meaning..."

there is alcohol free mouth wash.

bring back PAGAL LADOOOO

Quote Originally Posted by junaid368 View Post
    wats toms?

Look above at my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibn Al-Jarrah View Post
    r u serious?

Absolutely! You can get the little brown bottles for fifty cents!
    I like to quote myself
    - nomoreillusions

I had the same query a while back, and used the following fatwa for guidance.

2) The alcohol used for commercial purposes is called ethanol. Most commercial brand mouthwashes and toothpastes used to treat mouth diseases and infections contain ethanol.

· Ethanol is generally manufactured from corn, which undergoes fermentation through the medium of yeast, thus producing ethanol.

· “Currently the main feedstock in the for the production of ethanol is corn. Approximately 10 liters of ethanol are produced from one bushel of corn (35 liters).”en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol

· Some other feedstock or sources for ethanol are sorghum and pearl millet, however these sources constitute a fairly negligible amount of the feedstock, with corn being the major source.

· According to the فقهاء ( Islaamic jurists ) the word خمر refers specifically to those substances derived from grapes and dates, which after undergoing certain processes intoxicate.

فانّ اصل الخمر شرعا التمر و العنب على ما قال النبى صلى الله عليه و سلم " الخمر من هاتين الشجرتين".

(Fathul Qadeer Vol. 9 Pg. 34)

· Mufti Taqi Usmaani has stated that, those liquids derived from other sources besides grapes and dates, are considered permissible by Imaam Abu Hanifah and Imaam Abu Yusuf for medicinal use as long as it does not intoxicate.

لانّ الاشربة المتخذة من غير العنب و التمر تحلّ عند ابى حنيفة و ابى يوسف بقصد التقوى او لتداوى ما لم تبلغ حد الاسكار.

(Buhuth fi qadaaya fiqhiah muaasarah Pg.340)

· Furthermore Mufti Taqi saheb states that those medicines that are derived from substances other than grapes and dates, for example toothpaste containing alcohol derived from corn (ethanol) for the purpose of combating gum diseases will be permissible to use solely on the grounds of medical need as long as it does not intoxicate.

فان كانت الكحول المستعملة فى الادوية متخذة من غير العنب و التمر فان تناولها جائز فى مذهب ابى حنيفة و ابى يوسف رحمهما الله ما لم تبلغ حد الاسكار و يمكن ان يؤخذ بقولهما لحاجة التداوى.

· Taking into consideration the above, it will be permissible to use toothpaste containing ethanol.

And Allah knows best

Wassalam

Ml. Abdul Hameed,
    Student Darul Iftaa

Checked and Approved by:

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
    Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In'aamiyyah
    Allah’s Messenger said: “Whoever as much as kills a sparrow in vain will find it crying before Allah on the Day of Judgment: ‘My Lord! That person killed me in vain. He did not kill me for needful sustenance.”

Yeah, if it doesn't INTOXICATE you and it is NOT WINE, then its HALAL.