Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network

View Poll Results: The S.M.A.R.T team

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • I’m in (& I’m not budging cuz I’m smart )

10 62.50%
  • I will also help out

12 75.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ღLABBAYK YAA ALLAAHღ *IslamicGirl*'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Icon7 The S.M.A.R.T way to find a job InshaAllah- Ummah style.

:|=.===.= :|
    \ O /
    (_)
    _/ \_

Looking for a job can be stressful and we at Ummah can help (ok stop with the cheesy advert! )

a thread dedicated to the whole cv/covering letter/job interviews/job process. Please no messing about here

I’m helping people with their CV’s off Ummah but as many of your are Ummah members I thought useful stuff can be posted here to benefit others too

Anything at all, please don’t be shy or embarrassed to post even if it is the night before the interview or you have a few hours left to submit a CV. we can do it as a team.

Even if it’s just some support or any random question relevant to the whole process- doesn’t matter, please post it

________
    ()________)
    \::::::::::::\
    \:: SMART::\
    \::::::::::::/
    ~~~~~~~

The S.M.A.R.T team - - smiling Muslims association of recruited thinkers

This won’t be like SAFA GIG cuz we’ll be doing some work here ( ) and helping each other, hope people will contribute esp the older members as you must remember when you were young how stressful and daunting this whole process was- you might still experience it now- but maybe some of you might have become jaded- here’s a chance to refresh yourselves InshaAllah

Last edited by *IslamicGirl*; 26-02-08 at 08:30 PM.
    Allah and His angels call down blessings on the Prophet . O you who believe! call down blessings on him and ask for complete peace and safety for him (33:56)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: The S.M.A.R.T way to find a job InshaAllah- Ummah style.

excellent advise mg

persistance really pays...i should know...i bugged my grad placement employer for 2 months until they felt the only way to get rid of me was to interview me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

interview on thursday is comming closer and closer...any tips? it's for an admin job with NHS
    [B][CENTER][COLOR="Blue"]“Whoever puts his trust in Allah, sufficient is Allah for him.” [/COLOR][/CENTER][/B]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MG View Post
    the most simplest and most effective advice i can give in searching for a job is the following (tried, tested and successful - by me of course):

Always carry on completing one application after another - dont stop till you get the job

Always keep track of the closing date on each job you have applied and then call them 1-2weeks after the closing date to chase up why you have not been contacted yet for an interview - you will be surprised to know it is not always because they didnt want you....

When you get rejection letters, put them to the side and get straight back to applying for other jobs, do not let it get you down or when you get a rejection letter just reapply for the same job again straightaway (you can do this with some jobs).

Always proof read your applications before posting them off and ask experience people how you can change or word something better.

Always keep a copy of the application you send off because you might need to refer to what you wrote if you get called for an interview.

To reiterate one very important point, always always always chase up applications after the closing date if you have not heard anything, you need THEM more than they need YOU! to many people do not do this and then complain they did not get the jobs.

If you stick to the above and do not falter, you will definately end up getting a job somewhere with the grace of Allah swt

*hijab* has to become a pest!!!!!

im working on it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i didn't get the job
    [B][CENTER][COLOR="Blue"]“Whoever puts his trust in Allah, sufficient is Allah for him.” [/COLOR][/CENTER][/B]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Worried Soul View Post
    i didn't get the job
    aw dnt worry sis, ull find something better inshaAllah

u were too good for them!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Insha'Allah I am going to share with you some tips for a successful CV. The tips here were recorded from a series of career management lectures that I attended.

General tips

* Keep CV neat
    * Use good quality white paper
    * Do not leave to much empty space in your CV
    * Do not use templates because it does not impress the recruiter
    * Do not provide more than 1 email becasue your aim is to concise your CV
    * When providing e-mails do not provide one that sounds negative (e.g. [email protected])
    * If you have an email address with an organisation/institution/company/school/college/university then it is better to provide that email address rather than the one you have in hotmail or google because it tells the employer that you belong (or belonged) to that place
    * Use "good" font - do not use boring font like times new roman (its too common)
    * keep to the point (i.e. do not write about your life story)
    * Do not write your date of birth except if you are applying for jobs that require you to be of a specific age
    * Do not include your gender (esp. since the employer has not got the right to discriminate) except if you are applying to jobs which require you to be of a specific gender (e.g. toilet cleaner, football team/coach etc.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Specific Tips

- Profile should be 4 to 5 lines.
    - Write in it a brief summary of yourself
    - Be sure to provide evidence for what you write (e.g. if you state that you are a good communicator then write about what you did to attain that status).

Education/Qualifications

-Start with the most recent educations and/or qualifications you have done/achieved.
    -Write the place of education on the left hand side and the dates on the right hand side.
    - Write the relevant subjects/Modules you have undertaken. (Notice that I underlined the word 'relevant' because it depends which job you are applying to. If you are applying to a business admistration job then you should not include subjects such as 'thermodynamics' but instead subjects such as 'project management' and 'finance' and 'mathematics' would be more suitable.
    - try to use bullet points as it looks much more neat and straight to the point.
    - Do not include your education below GCSE level (or equivalent) because it becomes unneccessary.
    - Do include your grades that you achieved esp. English and Maths as they are the most basic skills required for almost any job.

Work Experience
    - Again, list your work experience and/or voluntry work starting from the most recent first.
    - Use Bullet points preferably
    - Write about what you did, where you did, when and how but be concise. (see the attached CV as an example)

Achievements and Skills
    - Incude your relevant achievements and skills here. (again 'relevant')
    - If you have achieved something in a group then write about the contribution you made to the group instead of saying that your group came 1st, 2nd etc. this is because the employer wants to know what you can contribute to the team. It might be that the team came 1st despite your contribution.

Interests
    - The employer wants to know what kind of a person you are. This is where you mention things which you enjoy doing.
    - these things can include sports, readings, research, social life etc.)
    - do not be shy to say that you like studying Islam. Perhaps the best way to put it is what i have said which is: "Comparative religious study and research"
    - Ofcourse if you are applying for a job in an airport then it would be better for you to not state anything to do with religion.

References
    - Include 2 referees preferably.
    - If space is running out then just state that references are available upon request.

Last but not least: Do not lie. If you lie about something to impress the employer so that he/she can recruit you then your imaam will become weak. this is because you must try your best and then have takwa and be sure that Allah will give you what is best for you. Lieing is also a sin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

^^really good tips there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've been hunting everytime, either to face 2 face or online, just started recently so i ain't got any replies, I will continue tho better than not doing anything right.

Islamicgirl can I send you my CV so maybe u can check it? and I toke you covering letter but change it a bit do u mind?
    Last edited by Tanisha; 15-05-09 at 07:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Can someone please check my CV which I have attached (with personal details cleared) and give me feedback.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Sorry forgot to attach my CV.

here it is

(btw I want to apply for jobs in the sales and cleaning area).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Anyone willing to check out my CV ? if i attach it
    (The hypocrites) will call the believers: "Were we not with you?" The believers will reply: "Yes! But you led yourselves into temptations, you looked forward for our destruction; you doubted (in Faith); and you were deceived by false desires, till the Command of Allah came to pass. And the chief deceiver (Satan) deceived you in respect of Allah."57:14

Odan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Very nice thread.

I also was helping people getting into work over 33,000 views on my thread link below-with a few brothers and sisters successful in the job. The most viewed thread in the education section of this forum.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...28-Jobs-at-DWP

Odan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Work history should be before education.

As these days majority employers want to see your experience.

Quote Originally Posted by iloveislam1 View Post
    Specific Tips

- Profile should be 4 to 5 lines.
    - Write in it a brief summary of yourself
    - Be sure to provide evidence for what you write (e.g. if you state that you are a good communicator then write about what you did to attain that status).

Education/Qualifications

-Start with the most recent educations and/or qualifications you have done/achieved.
    -Write the place of education on the left hand side and the dates on the right hand side.
    - Write the relevant subjects/Modules you have undertaken. (Notice that I underlined the word 'relevant' because it depends which job you are applying to. If you are applying to a business admistration job then you should not include subjects such as 'thermodynamics' but instead subjects such as 'project management' and 'finance' and 'mathematics' would be more suitable.
    - try to use bullet points as it looks much more neat and straight to the point.
    - Do not include your education below GCSE level (or equivalent) because it becomes unneccessary.
    - Do include your grades that you achieved esp. English and Maths as they are the most basic skills required for almost any job.

Work Experience
    - Again, list your work experience and/or voluntry work starting from the most recent first.
    - Use Bullet points preferably
    - Write about what you did, where you did, when and how but be concise. (see the attached CV as an example)

Achievements and Skills
    - Incude your relevant achievements and skills here. (again 'relevant')
    - If you have achieved something in a group then write about the contribution you made to the group instead of saying that your group came 1st, 2nd etc. this is because the employer wants to know what you can contribute to the team. It might be that the team came 1st despite your contribution.

Interests
    - The employer wants to know what kind of a person you are. This is where you mention things which you enjoy doing.
    - these things can include sports, readings, research, social life etc.)
    - do not be shy to say that you like studying Islam. Perhaps the best way to put it is what i have said which is: "Comparative religious study and research"
    - Ofcourse if you are applying for a job in an airport then it would be better for you to not state anything to do with religion.

References
    - Include 2 referees preferably.
    - If space is running out then just state that references are available upon request.

Last but not least: Do not lie. If you lie about something to impress the employer so that he/she can recruit you then your imaam will become weak. this is because you must try your best and then have takwa and be sure that Allah will give you what is best for you. Lieing is also a sin.

we're all in it together rainbow*~'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

Oh emm gee.

Awesome sauce just saw this thread! I hope some of the oldies are still knocking about to help me though
    wabihamdihihiladheem

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The S.M.A.R.T way to find a job InshaAllah- Ummah style.

I lost my job at orclacle

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elyaouti900 View Post
    I lost my job at orclacle
    I know bud.

you went from $40 to 7$ per hour, I feel for you
    wabihamdihihiladheem

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The S.M.A.R.T way to find a job InshaAllah- Ummah style.

I am living off my invesment for now

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elyaouti900 View Post
    I am living off my invesment for now
    Don't you live with the rentz?
    wabihamdihihiladheem

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

What should you do about a large non-working gap?? I've been a SAHM for about 5 years now, and my youngest daughter is going to preschool beginning of 2014 when she turns 3 inshaAllah so I'm wanting to find a day time job because ALL of my kids will be in school. I don't know what to put, and yet I don't want recruiters to make dumb assumptions like I went to prison or something
    Fabi-ayyiala -i rabbikuma tukaththibani
    Then which of the favors of your Lord will ye deny?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr8DR8frP_s

You are not here just to fill space or to be a background character in someone else's movie. Consider this: nothing would be the same if you did not exist. Every place you have ever been and everyone you have ever spoken to would be different without you. We are all connected, and we are all affected by the decisions and even the existence of those around us.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    942 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nousername View Post
    What should you do about a large non-working gap?? I've been a SAHM for about 5 years now, and my youngest daughter is going to preschool beginning of 2014 when she turns 3 inshaAllah so I'm wanting to find a day time job because ALL of my kids will be in school. I don't know what to put, and yet I don't want recruiters to make dumb assumptions like I went to prison or something
    Say you did volunterring in 3rd world countries