Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mothers milk - how to overcome any problems in the early days - general information

Moderators note: this sticky thread is for information. Please do post extra information on the same subject, or your own experiences and questions relating to the topic. However, conversation and/or arguing will be deleted inshaAllah.

This sticky thread is for essential information for new mothers (and fathers) about breastfeeding. Unfortunately many midwives and health visitors are NOT trained in breastfeeding and are not even that knowledgable about it. Therefore some mothers are failing to breastfeed because of bad advice from the midwives and health visitors.

Some of the information in this thread may not be considered suitable for brothers other than new fathers and fathers to be. However the success or failure of a woman breastfeeding can rest on her knowing about breastfeeding and knowing what is good or bad advice. As its hard sometimes for a mother to get good advice, it is necessary that they have as much good information as possible - and their husbands also need access to this information! Not all the women who may need this information have access to the sisters area.

Brothers: if you don't feel comfortable with the contents on this thread, then don't read it please.

-------------------

Why buy your baby any other milk when Allah puts milk for him/her in your breasts for free?

From reading books about babies you would think that breastfeeding just happens right from the start......... thats misleading, it can be hard to breastfeed for the first ten days or so, the baby has to learn to latch on and you have to learn how to latch him/her on, how best to hold him/her, how to keep him/her there, how to burp him/her, and there are lots of difficulties you might face like sore nipples (they can get very sore the first few days), feeding the baby constantly until your milk comes in (the first few days you only have colostrum, which contains vital nutrients and antibodies for your baby but it is ultra concentrated and there isn't much of it so your baby is hungry until the regular milk comes in.

no matter what difficulties you face....... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE persevere with it it is SOOOOOO worth it, mostly cause its so healthy for your baby but also because after you get past the difficulties it becomes very easy and not at all painful and its soooooo convienient. and it is so lovely to be able to nourish your baby yourself with milk that Allah put there.

I have heard of many mothers who have given up in the first few days because they were not prepared for having any difficulty and they think they are unable to breastfeed, when all they needed to do was persevere through the first few days.

The only medical reason not to breastfeed is if you have HIV cause the baby can catch it through breast milk. Very very rarely you get women who can't produce enough milk but even they can do mixed feeding. Women on certain medication can't breastfeed, but unless its essential that you take the medication, you can discuss with your doctor whether you can come off it ot have an alternative whilst you breastfeed.

And if you have really sore nipples you can use nipple shields until they stop being sore. If you use nipple shields on both sides for a while there is a danger the baby will refuse to feed without them so they should be used sparingly, but they really can help get you through a difficult few feeds whilst they heal up. (they heal up quickly btw especially if you also use a nipple cream such as lansinoh, which protects them whilst the baby is feeding without harming the baby.)
    Last edited by dhak1yya; 24-02-08 at 01:44 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Re: need advice on baby weightloss

akhi.. I was a midwife and breastfeeding counsellor a few years ago.. this link is very good. This is the association I did my counselling with..

Insha'Allah it will also provide you with some very good reading and resources to talk to the midwives about

http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/index.html
    .The Prophet sal Allahu alaiyhi wa sallam said, “I guarantee a house in Jannah for one who gives up arguing, even if he is in the right; and I guarantee a home in the middle of Jannah for one who abandons lying even for the sake of fun; and I guarantee a house in the highest part of Jannah for one who has good manners.”
    http://jameelah61.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Medievalist View Post

apparentyl new borns lose about 10% of their weight in the first week after birth.

If a baby is just over that 10% weight loss, say by 1 gram. what should be done?

Basically on Sunday midwife came and said he has lost 1gram more than the 10% and she said someone will come back in a few days and weigh him and his weight should pick up then.

Today (wednesday) health visitor came and she also commented that he is 1 gram underweight. But she didnt make a big issue about it. Then later on today, another midwife came and she goes that he's underweight and she's gonna come back tomorrow and the baby should be put onto bottled milk??

Then obviously she got worried and I did aswell. I was at work at the time so only got my info second hand.

Other thing is babys who are breastfed by this time should have yellow potty, but his is sometimes yellow and sometimes green. cause for concern??

Basically I want advice. Im thinking that we should tell the midwife we wanna wait a few more days and see if his weight picks up and his potty is always yellow. But the way my mum made out is that she was saying that if babys weight hasnt picked up by tomorrow then we have to bottle feed.

help!!

nb - please reply asap.
    it sounds like the baby isnt drinking enough of the hind milk, which is thicker and has all the calories, basically mum needs to make sure baby finishes on one breast before switiching to the next, ask to see a breastfeeding expert or call La Leche League, DONT give any bottles as this will cause mums milk to dry up, make sure the mother is eating well and getting plenty of rest to help with milk production, feed her good foods and give her raspberry leaf tea to drink and fenugrek as it helps with milk production, dont let the midwives scare you, if baby seems healthy and well.

green nappies shouldnt happen very often I think mum needs to see a breastfeeding expert and have them watch her feed baby inshaallah.

bring back PAGAL LADOOOO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by carol_au View Post
    akhi.. I was a midwife and breastfeeding counsellor a few years ago.. this link is very good. This is the association I did my counselling with..

Insha'Allah it will also provide you with some very good reading and resources to talk to the midwives about

http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/index.html
    Looks like a great site.

Here is one my wife likes also: http://www.llli.org/nb.html

Also, most pediatricians here will give out a book called the "New Mother's Guide to Breastfeeding" published by the American Academy of Pediatrics. Perhaps something similar is available where you are?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

for all the advice.

About this alternating breasts. No1 told us about this. She just feeds him from one side and then when he's done thats it

whats that all about??
    Rajab is a month of cultivation, Shaban is month of irrigating the fields, and the month of Ramadhan is a month of reaping and harvesting.”

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

for all the advice.

About this alternating breasts. No1 told us about this. She just feeds him from one side and then when he's done thats it

whats that all about??
    you have to feed the baby first from one side, then switch during each feed.
    "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

for all the advice.

whats that all about??
    Okay.. say your wife starts feeding on the left side in his next feed... he should feed until he is satisfied on that side.. then pick him up move him around, change his nappy.. then feed him on the right side. He wont' be as hungry so he won't feed as much from that side.

A couple of hours time he will seem hungry again.. so feed him, but this time start on the right side and make sure he feeds on the right side for a long time.. till he seems satisfied

You mentioned he falls asleep whilst feeding.. this is very normal. This is why it's important when you finished on the one side.. move him around and wake him up and feed him on the second side (this is to make sure your wife keeps producing milk and that especially at the moment when her milk supply is settling down she doesn't have lumps in her breasts which can become infected. .. He won't feed as long on the second side, infact he will probably fall asleep again.. so make sure she starts with this side for the next feed.

You can also try different positions.. sometimes this helps and if you look at the websites Mace and I showed you and I am sure La Leche would have a website, then they show you other ways of feeding him. This may not be important, but it may improve his suckling to increase the amount of hind milk he gets

When a baby feeds, the first couple of minutes the milk is very liquid and not very creamy.. it is called foremilk and is a thirst quencher it can come very fast .. after a minute or two the milk changes to a thicker creamier milk.. this is the calorie milk. This is what he needs most of to put weight on.

By feeding him fully from one breast and not moving him to the other too soon.. and by making sure you alternate breasts each feed (to start the feed) you will make sure your baby gets lots of calories.

La Leche provide a free breast feeding service and a lady counsellor can come and sit with your wife and help her to feel confident in feeding.

Mind you, she sounds like she is doing a wonderful job.. and tbh everything sounds fine to me. As Mace says, 1g is nothing..I'd be more worried if it was greater than that. I mean he could have had a nappy that needed changing immediately before she weighed him and that would have led to a gram difference.

I think the second midwife is probably being a little on the too cautious side from what you have told me which is why the first midwife didnot seem concerned.

I agree with Umm Bilal.. tell them you want to keep breast feeding only for a few more days. Take baby for weighing in a couple of day.. practice the feeding we have told you and ensure your wife is not tired, eats and drinks well .. as any problems like this may also affect her milk supply .. so pamper her a little for a few days till her milk settles down, then she and baby will be fine.

And hold off as long as they will let you on bottle feeding as honestly if she wants to breastfeed, supplementing with bottles usually ends in the baby being totally bottle fed due to problems later with supply and the difference in the way the baby feeds from a breast and from a bottle.

Please give her our salaams insha'Allah
    .The Prophet sal Allahu alaiyhi wa sallam said, “I guarantee a house in Jannah for one who gives up arguing, even if he is in the right; and I guarantee a home in the middle of Jannah for one who abandons lying even for the sake of fun; and I guarantee a house in the highest part of Jannah for one who has good manners.”

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My baby went from 6lb 11.5 to 6lb 1oz before she started putting on weight again.... its normal.... breastfed babies tend to lose a little more weight than bottle fed babies, because the first three days or so they just have colostrum, which is extremely beneficial for their health, whilst formula fed babies get full milk which is fattier - so they put on more weight but lose out from not having the colostrum.

To add to what mace said about the scales not being that accurate - the guidelines and charts that the midwives have are based on formula fed babies, so more than 10% weight loss would be more of a worry in a formula fed baby, whilst more normal in a breastfed baby.

It is important that he is weighed regularly - in rare cases, a breastfeeding mother simply isn't producing enough milk even though she's doing everything right, and when that happens baby will not be putting on weight over a longer period, if this happens then the mother will have to give formula, but in the vast vast majority of cases like yours, the weight loss is perfectly normal and the baby will start to gain lots of weight as soon as the mother's milk supply catches up. It sounds to me like your wife is doing everything right, follow ummbilal's and carol-au's advice because this helps to ensure that baby is getting enough hindmilk. InshaAllah he'll be putting on lots of weight very soon and you'll wonder what you ever worried about if the weightloss does continue, make sure your wife has a consultation with a breastfeeding expert (like from the organisations in the websites above) without giving formula, because midwives who are not trained in breastfeeding often advise mothers to "just give formula" at the slightest problem with breastfeeding, and all it will do for 99.9% of women having problems with breastfeeding is make the problem worse. The case where a woman is not producing milk despite doing everything right - so would have to give formula - is very rare.

btw I'm copying the posts on this thread to the breastfeeding sticky thread inshaAllah, because this is a common problem (well not really a problem actually cause its normal lol) and others can benefit inshaAllah from the advice here

~**~**~**~**~**~ ze leetle elper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Exactly how long oes she feed on each side?

With breastfeeding, my personal experience was that my newborn would fall asleep very quickly once feeding...maybe after 10 minutes, then the next feed she would fall asleep after 15 minutes and so on.

Some good advice which I followed was to ensure that that baby was on one sie for at least 30 minutes. Een if it meant adding up the times of several feeds...just to ensure she got the hindmilk. So for example:

1st feed: Mum feeds baby on right side, baby falls asleep after 10 minutes
    2nd feed: Mum feeds baby on right side, baby falls asleep after 15 minutes
    3rd feed: Mum feeds baby on right side, baby feeds for 5 minutes (which totals to now 30 minutes on right breast) and then switches breast to complete the feed

And then the same with the other side...I found this helped me a lot at the beginning...at least until baby was feeding properly and emptying a side at one feed. This was because I didn't always feel very 'full' so sometimes I could not judge whether the side was empty of milk or not properly.

I think we did have an instance when our daughter had greeny poo, again this was due to her drinking a lot of foremilk and not enough hindmilk...which is why I found this method helped me correct that
    What does 'freedom' mean?

Does the eagle want to swim in the sea,
    Restricted by the sky?

Does the fish want to dance on the wind,
    Not enough river to explore?

Yet the sky is freedom for the bird
    but death for the fish,

The sea is wide for the fish
    but will engulf the bird.

We ask for freedom but freedom to do what?
    We can only express our nature as it was created.

The prayer mat of the earth is freedom,
    freedom from slavery to other than the One,
    Who offers an shoreless ocean of love to swim in
    and a horizon that extends to the next life,
    Yet we chose the prison and call it freedom.

“All our handling of the child will bear fruit, not only at the moment, but in the adult they are destined to become.” Donate today! http://campaign.justgiving.com/chari...iyahschool2015

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Every baby is different in how they suckle and how effective is their emptying of the breast. Also the mothers stress levels, her general health will determine how much milk she produces and this can change constantly throughout the day

In the early days milk production is fairly consistent, but with in a month the milk supply will start to settle down to supply = demand. The breast milk production literally regulates itself to meet each individual baby's needs (masha'Allah)

The beautiful thing about this is a baby goes through periods of rapid growth at around 6 weeks, 3 months and 6 months and they start becoming hungrier. Sadly some mums are either taught or believe they are not making enough milk to satisfy their baby and these are the period when early solids or supplements are often added to the diet.

All that is necessary is extra feeds for a few days and the breasts will readjust.

The problem with feeding as you did Ze is that if you leave one breast with no stimulation for maybe 6 hours (if the baby is 2 hourly feeding), it will either reduce stimulation and therefore milk production or potentially leaves it full and lumpy for many hours and at greater risk of mastitis development. It also runs the risk of over stimulation of one breast which can also produce discomfort and mastititis and latching on problems.

The accepted general practice is to not let your baby fall asleep .. usually they get great contentment from feeding .. it is a sedative.. which is why it is suggested you wake your baby and play with him/ her at feed times to esnure one breast is emptied and this should be in one sitting... and the other offered to ensure that no lumps are left in the breast.

Once the milk has settled and a mum is comfortable with feeding, she will just go with her intuition and feed without thinking.. but for the first 4 months or so , there will always be concern whether the baby is getting enough

remember your breasts soon settle into a supply = demand cyle, so your breasts will look much emptier than they do in the first few weeks when milk production is constant.

It's much better to look at the baby rather than try and guess the amount of milk or how long a baby should feed

If your baby is feeding frequently, has plenty of pale, wet nappies (at least 6-8 in 24 hours), on breastmilk alone, is gaining weight and seems reasonably alert, active and happy, then he is getting enough milk

the foremilk only flows for a couple of minutes and the hindmilk follows very quickly.. so some baby's only need 15 minutes of feeds, others need longer.

Every baby is different..but if you think the milk supply is reducing.. then feed more frequently but follow the same principle.. plenty of hindmilk from one breast then move to the next .. some baby's will want to feed upto 10 -15 or more times in the early days.. this is not unusual.

In the end ze.. if it worked for you and didn't cause you problems.. then you followed your intuition and it worked well for you.. others mums will have to try the more conventional ways of feeding.. but as I said earlier, in the end mum and baby will help each other and keep the milk supply constant..

Mentioned
    373 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

if they insist u have to give him a top up it wil b better not to give it in a bottle insha allah.. but 1 gram seems very small to be worrying about. if u firmly tell them u want to keep him just breastfeeding i think they wil have to accept it. insha allah he will soon gain the weight back. my son lost bit too much weight in the hospital and they told me to suppliment him a bit with formula, so i agreed to it bc didnt want him to lose more. so tried him with cow & gate from a cup. he did not like it tho & did not really take any, so i just kept feeding him myself. after couple of days he got his birth weight back masha allah & now he is above it. and he also had some green nappies in hospital. insha allah if ur wife jst keeps on as she is doing feeding him when he is hungry then he wil get his weight back soon?
    .: Rufaida :.
    .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.
    http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...th_Silence.jpg
    “People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
    but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
    ~ Ibn Atallah

Ramadan Activities for Children
    <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Anna, to be honest I can't believe they're giving this advice about giving a top up, I'm glad your little boy didn't take very much mashaAllah its not just a matter of giving it from a cup rather than a bottle, its because breast milk works on a supply and demand basis and if you're not quite producing enough yet, giving formula will make things worse because he'll be filled up with formula and won't do the extra suckling needed to increase your supply.

If a breastfed baby is failing to put on weight (after the the first week or so when its normal to lose weight), its very very important to see someone trained in breastfeeding asap to ensure that the mother is doing everything right, and to follow their advice. 99.9% of supply problems can be sorted without formula and can be made worse by giving formula.
    Last edited by dhak1yya; 17-07-08 at 01:19 PM.

Mentioned
    373 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

in transitional care unit where i was giving formula top up seemd quite wide spread they offered it to most of the babies i think :s but alot of those babies were premature or small i dnt know if that makes a difference. the other normal ward had signs up about "say no to formula for breastfed babies" etc
    ~ Ibn Atallah

<button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think with very premature babies its different cause they can't suckle so have to have expressed breast milk, expressing doesn't work for a lot of women, but if your baby can suckle then they should tell the mothers to keep suckling the babies to make their supply increase.

a few premature babies can't tolerate formula at all, and if their mother can't express milk they have to have donated breast milk. I was reading about milk banks and donated milk a while back, some hospitals are having them. Also my dad's mum, when she had my dad (in those days all mothers stayed in hospital for a week after having a baby) she had so much milk that they would take the extra milk from her (i.e by expressing it), and she asked what happened to the milk, and they told her it was being given to premature babies and to babies of mothers who couldn't breastfeed. This was routine in that hospital... it also would have helped the new mums to establish breastfeeding cause of it working on a supply and demand basis... more milk removed = more milk made the next day. Some books on breastfeeding reccommend expressing to build up supply - its a good idea but you have to be careful not to do it too much as you could end up making too much and getting engorged or mastitis.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Re: Mothers milk - how to overcome any problems in the early days - general informati

Premature babies are often not allowed to such because their size means their bodies are already struggling to keep warm and maintain circulation and oxygen because of their immature body systems.

I have no idea why they encouraged formula feeding and not expressed milk. It is very sad they are not actively encouraging expressing and using the mothers own milk for her baby.

However, even if formula was used (and is usually given in very small babies via a tube) the mother should still express her milk so it builds up her supply and if she has enough milk to feed her own baby she should be encouraged to do that.

Here is some good information on breastfeeding premature babies

things a mother can do

• Start expressing as soon as possible after the birth of your baby.
    • It may help your baby to get the idea if you hold him in the breastfeeding position, while being tube-fed. Some mothers place a cottonwool ball soaked in her breastmilk into the baby's isolette to let him get to know the smell of his mother's milk, particularly when being tube-fed.
    • You may like to experiment with different positions at the breast, always making sure your baby is attached properly. A premature baby may feed well in the twin position, that is, tucked under your arm with his body supported by a pillow.
    • You may be able to start your let-down reflex working before putting your baby to the breast by massage, hand expressing or putting a warm cloth or warm heat pack on your breast. This will make it easier for your baby and increases the amount of milk taken even though the period of sucking may be short.
    • Don't be too concerned about your baby's sucking during early attempts at breastfeeding. The fact that you and your baby are getting to know each other in this way is more important than the volume of milk consumed. As your baby grows and becomes stronger you will see him begin to take more and suckle for longer

(information taken from http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/premature.html)

One of the beautiful things about the breast milk produced for a premature baby is perfect for a premature baby's needs. It contains higher concentrations of protein and some chemical components and minerals.

Mentioned
    325 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Re: Mothers milk - how to overcome any problems in the early days - general informati

Breastfeeding trust hormone clue

Scientists have for the first time shown how a "trust" hormone is released in the brains of breastfeeding mothers.

It is further proof that breastfeeding promotes the maternal bond through a biochemical process.

The team at Warwick University said the hormone oxytocin was known to be released during breastfeeding but the mechanism in the brain was unclear.

Oxytocin also produces contractions during labour and causes milk to be "let down" from the mammary glands.
    The hormone is produced in the hypothalamus - the part of the brain that controls body temperature, thirst, hunger, anger and tiredness.

It has been shown to promote feelings of trust and confidence and to reduce fear.

Co-ordination
    The study, published in the journal PLoS Computational Biology, found that in response to a baby suckling, specialised neurons in the mothers' brain start to release the hormone from the nerve endings.

But surprisingly oxytocin is also released from the part of the cell called the dendrite which is usually the part of a neurone which receives, rather than transmits information.

Using a mathematical model, the researchers worked out that this release from the dendrites allows a massive increase in communication between the neurons, co-ordinating a "swarm" of oxytocin factories producing intense bursts of the hormone.

They is an example of an "emergent process", the scientists said - a closely co-ordinated action developing without a single leader, in the same as a flock of birds or insects swarms.

Study leader, Professor Jianfeng Feng said: "We knew that these pulses arise because, during suckling, oxytocin neurons fire together in dramatic synchronised bursts.
    "But exactly how these bursts arise has been a major problem that has until now eluded explanation.

"The model gives us a possible explanation of an important event in the brain that could be used to study and explain many other similar brain activities." A spokesperson for the National Childbirth Trust (NCT) said breastfeeding for up to two years can have "significant health benefits" for mother and baby.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7513267.stm

Restricted by the sky?

but death for the fish,

“All our handling of the child will bear fruit, not only at the moment, but in the adult they are destined to become.” Donate today! http://campaign.justgiving.com/chari...iyahschool2015

Mentioned
    325 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Diet 'can flavour mother's milk'

Flavours in a nursing mother's snack can find their way into her breast milk within minutes, research suggests.

A group of 18 women were asked to provide samples of breast milk before and after eating capsules containing various flavours.

New Scientist magazine reported that banana could be detected for an hour after consumption, while menthol lasted for eight hours.

Previous work suggests a breastfeeding mother's diet affects her baby's taste.

Mothers are often concerned that their baby may be put off breastfeeding or become upset if they have eaten strongly flavoured food.

But the research from the University of Copenhagen suggests that, in most cases, the taste will only change for a few hours at most.

As well as the banana and menthol chemicals, they tested capsules containing liquorice and caraway seed chemicals, both of which peaked in concentration in breast milk on average two hours after consumption.

The research, which originally appeared in the journal Physiology and Behavior, also found that the time it took for the flavours to arrive and disappear varied significantly between women.

However, all the flavours had vanished by the eight hour mark.

Developing tastes

Dr Helene Hausner, who led the study, said that preliminary results suggested that a variety of flavours in breast milk could make the baby more accepting of new flavours.
    "Breastfeeding may prepare the infant for flavour changes and new experiences when they start to eat solid foods."

She suggested that while non-citrus fruit flavours only fleetingly altered the flavour of breast milk, other chemicals, such as those in carrots or citrus fruits, might produce more change.

She suggested that the same effect might be achieved by mothers using formula milk if they changed the brand now and again.

Gill Rapley, a health visitor, researcher, and author, said that the findings were another reason why breastfeeding might help babies during weaning.

She said that while parents tended to worry that something they ate might upset their baby's stomach rather than their tastebuds if passed through breastmilk, the results would be reassuring. "It's interesting to see just how quickly these flavours disappear from breast milk, and we will be able to tell mothers about this."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7521750.stm

Restricted by the sky?

but death for the fish,

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

For those who breastfed their children. How long did it take before your childs weight was back to birth weight?

It'll be 3 weeks tomorrow and Muhammad still is not at birthweight? is that normal?
    Rajab is a month of cultivation, Shaban is month of irrigating the fields, and the month of Ramadhan is a month of reaping and harvesting.”

Mentioned
    325 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Hmm, according to my daughters red book, she was back at or slightly higher than her birth weight by day 13? She was born 6lb 1oz and I think went down to 5lb 10oz in the first few days/ week?

Does baby seem hungry all the time? Crying? Does mum feel full of milk ie: does it leak sometimes or get painful because there is too much milk? Is baby pooing well(colour?) Does he do several wet nappies a day?

Restricted by the sky?

but death for the fish,

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

mother has milk.
    baby seems to feed well. The midwife doesnt seem too concerned. I was just wondering when should his weight be back up. n

dhakkiyah: you do know that if some other baby was given your milk, then it is your childrens foster-sibling, right?

Mentioned
    325 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

(sorry not dhakiyya ) but yup mashaallah, so they would be like mahram to one another? Not entirely relevant, but wet nursing is actually still practised today mashaallah, did you know that Sh. Hamza had one of his children (that I know of, there could be more) wet nursed by Sh. Yaqoubi's wife mashaAllah Strengthens the bond and child's body and also inshaallah the childs will gain some of the wet nurses piousness and goodness from her milk as well.

Restricted by the sky?

but death for the fish,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

mother has milk.
    baby seems to feed well. The midwife doesnt seem too concerned. I was just wondering when should his weight be back up. n

dhakkiyah: you do know that if some other baby was given your milk, then it is your childrens foster-sibling, right?
    Inshaallah Muhammed is fine, all babies are different, if he seems healthy and is feeding well and has lots of wet nappies inshaallah he is fine, if you are concerned call La Leche League a breastfeeding organisation to ask any questions to experienced and trained mothers who will answer your questions inshaallah, make sure the mother is eating well and drinking plenty of fluids.

bring back PAGAL LADOOOO

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

mother has milk.

I think you would need to check with a sheikh, regarding donated breastmilk for premature babies, because its not the same as breastfeeding, for example when you breastfeed a baby, you start to bond with the baby, wheras you don't exactly bond with an expressing machine LOL. However, I think this is an important issue to consider, but it is also the case that the lives of some premature babies (those who can't tolerate formula milk and whose mothers are not producing enough milk for them) depend on donated milk, if it is the case, according to a scholar, that the donated milk is enough to make the babies siblings, then inshaAllah the hospital would need to make the mother who donated the milk, and the parents whose child recieved the milk acquainted with each other, in order that they can avoid marrying their kids to each other when they grow up inshaAllah.

Mentioned
    325 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Good point dhakiyya also with donated milk, for example you could get one feed's worth from one donar and the next feed from another donar ie: maybe a large majority of the milk your baby recieves won't be from the same donar? So this would bypass the whole mahram situation as I think the 'wetnurse' has to breastfeed the child a certain amount of times before it is counted as the children being sublings etc?

Restricted by the sky?

but death for the fish,

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ruqayya's weight was back to her birth weight when she was a bit more than a week old, I can't remember exactly *checks red book*

.....only has her birth weight and her weight at two weeks old (she was weighed in the hospital but I guess they only wrote it in their hospital notes ) anyway she was above her birthweight at 2 weeks.

Please don't get fussed about comparing your baby to other babies thorough, because they are all different, and if your midwife isn't worried then you don't need to be. So please don't be

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ze leetle elper View Post
    Good point dhakiyya also with donated milk, for example you could get one feed's worth from one donar and the next feed from another donar ie: maybe a large majority of the milk your baby recieves won't be from the same donar? So this would bypass the whole mahram situation as I think the 'wetnurse' has to breastfeed the child a certain amount of times before it is counted as the children being sublings etc?
    yeah I think its like four or five times or something. I think this is an issue for a scholar though, because it isn't the same as actually breastfeeding, there is no physical contact between the mother and the child recieving the milk, and the child is not even seen by the mother either. So there is no chance of child and donor mother bonding. Wheras with a wetnurse actually breastfeeding the child, the child and nurse will start to bond.

Mentioned
    373 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ummbilal View Post
    Inshaallah Muhammed is fine, all babies are different, if he seems healthy and is feeding well and has lots of wet nappies inshaallah he is fine, if you are concerned call La Leche League a breastfeeding organisation to ask any questions to experienced and trained mothers who will answer your questions inshaallah, make sure the mother is eating well and drinking plenty of fluids.
    i had to call them the other day for something, n they seemed quite good so i wd recommend them aswell
    got a list of dif helpline numbers from the hospital and out of four dif lines, they are the only ones who actually answered. others were like "leave a message we wil call back between 10am-10pm" - not very useful

i think my babies weight was back to his birth weight by something like day 5? or mayb i hav got it confused

wanted to get him weighed again 2day but missed the clinic i thought its on longer/later than it really is oh well
    ~ Ibn Atallah

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

dhakkiyah: Im not too clued up on fostering but I think even human milk fed in a bottle is enough to establish the relationship. I wasn't criticising I was just warning that maybe you've got foster kids somewhere and you dont know. lol.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

well it wasn't me that was donating any breastmilk (the hospital I had Ruqayya in didn't have a milk bank, I think only a small number of hospitals have them)... but my dad's mother donated a lot of breastmilk when she had babies. So its my dad thats got unknown foster siblings if it was enough milk to make the relationship lol.

But my mum wasn't born in the same year or the same hospital as my dad and she wasn't premature so I don't think my mum would have recieved any!!!!!!!! I hope not anyway LOL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Ok i've managed to breast feed but I have a few questions,
    sometimes my baby looks in the other direction from my breast and when she finally sucks i know she's not latched on right but i just let her suck to stop her crying! if i wait until shes crying and has her mouth wide she still just wont latch on and suck.
    Are my breasts supposed to get lumpy (its day 5)?
    Is breast feeding supposed to be totally painless?
    When I've been getting too full I've been expressing, and since I don't want to give the baby a bottle when she's only 5 days old and I dont anticipate me going out and leaving her for very long quite yet I've been feeding it to my 18 mnth old. is that ok? I've heard the composition of breast milk changes as the child gets older to meet its needs so does this mean the milk will be wrong for my 18mnth old?

Mentioned
    325 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by naila-k View Post
    sometimes my baby looks in the other direction from my breast and when she finally sucks i know she's not latched on right but i just let her suck to stop her crying! if i wait until shes crying and has her mouth wide she still just wont latch on and suck.
    If baby is not latched on correctly they won't get enough milk to drink, especially not the hind milk and it may be painful for you to feed her as well? You can try rubbing from her nose to her mouth in a downwards action to encourage her to open her mouth wide? Or manually express some milk with your fingers and rub a little on her lips/ on the breast so she begins to understand that is where milk will come from?

Are my breasts supposed to get lumpy (its day 5)?
    Lumpy could be a sign of mastisis, buildup of breastmilk cos baby is not feeding correctly and emptying the breast properly? This can get very painful and sore if left, so inshaallah if it still feels lumpy/ hard it would be better to manually express a little to relieve the pressure? Or it could just be your body adjusting to how much milk it needs to produce for baby (especially if baby feeding has been slightly erratic with more feeds one day and less feeds another?)

Is breast feeding supposed to be totally painless?
    Once established then inshaallah it should be...however you are in your first few days so it can be difficult with getting baby to latch on/ sore nipples/ engorged breats and so on.

When I've been getting too full I've been expressing, and since I don't want to give the baby a bottle when she's only 5 days old and I dont anticipate me going out and leaving her for very long quite yet I've been feeding it to my 18 mnth old. is that ok? I've heard the composition of breast milk changes as the child gets older to meet its needs so does this mean the milk will be wrong for my 18mnth old?
    Hmm not sure about the milk being 'wrong' for your 18 month old, but inshaallah it would be best to keep for newborn especially since she doesn't seem to latch on properly atm? You can feed her with a syringe if you don't want to use the bottle? Do remember, the more you express, the more milk you will produce? Composition of the milk does change as baby grows, to suit babys requirements at that age and so on, but I have read of some mothers who do tandem feding which is feeding their newborn and toddler at the same time...not sure if this is encouraged/ discouraged for any health reasons etc in Islam or not though!

Restricted by the sky?

but death for the fish,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Breastfeeding Tips for Beginners
    written by Sally Akins

Before your baby is born
    An important part of preparation for breastfeeding comes before your baby is even born. Breastfeeding is, of course, completely natural – this does not, however, mean that it is necessarily easy. Almost all women can breastfeed, as long as they get good advice and good support.

Make sure that you get as much information as possible before your baby is born – enrol in antenatal classes, most of these will include some guidance on breastfeeding; read a book on the subject (see Recommended Reading); see if your hospital or midwife runs breastfeeding workshops for mums to be; try to watch a breastfeeding video; get the phone number for a breastfeeding counsellor, and make sure it is in a place that you can find easily. Some breastfeeding counsellors will even visit you at home before your baby is born, and give you tips on positioning so that you feel more prepared.

If your husband/partner will read the information as well, that can help - he can then offer ideas and remind you of things you might have forgotten
    It's also worth buying some Avent breast shells (not nipple shields - only use them as a last resort) - which will help to air your nipples. Put them in your hospital bag, and if you don't use them, then you can always take them back to the shop or sell them on.

Starting out
    Your milk will probably not ‘come in’ until several days after the birth, so please do not worry if your baby doesn’t seem to be taking much in, as long as they are waking for a feed, and they are suckling well. Remember as well, that it is perfectly normal for your baby to lose up to 10% of their birth weight, and it may take a couple of weeks for them to regain this.

Some women panic in the first few days, because they are worried that their baby isn’t getting enough milk. In these first days, the baby isn’t getting milk, they are drinking colostrum, which is the thick yellowish fluid that you may have noticed leaking from your nipples. This is high in calories, and full of the vital antibodies that your baby needs to fight off infections.

Even if your baby is given formula in hospital (perhaps because he’s spent some time in special care) you can still continue to breastfeed. However, don’t be bullied into letting the nurses give your baby a bottle of formula if you don’t want them to – NHS professionals do not generally have much training on breastfeeding, and will often suggest supplementing with formula as soon as any problems occur. You can add a note in your birth plan to this effect such as ‘If for any reason the baby needs to be fed not from my breast, I would appreciate it if the baby could be fed expressed milk using a cup or spoon rather than a bottle, if possible. Formula top-ups should be avoided unless absolutely necessary’

Constant feeding is normal in the early days - and you may decide to try co-sleeping, which will help to maximise the amount of rest/sleep you get. If you would like to co-sleep but feel apprehensive about it, reading '3 in a bed' by Deborah Jackson may allay your worries.

If you can get through the first 4-6 weeks you should be seeing the benefits of your work. Breastfeeding *may* be difficult in the early weeks, but persevere because once you get it right the rewards from feeding totally outweigh the initial difficulties. If you are finding it tough, set yourself a deadline of when you would like to get to eg 4 weeks. For most women when they get to that date they are finding breastfeeding easy and convenient and do not wish to give up breastfeeding.

Perfect Positioning
    Remember that babies only know how to suck, not to latch on properly – that is a skill that they have to be taught.

Stroke your nipple down from her nose, until her mouth is open wide and then put your nipple in her mouth, pointing up towards the roof. If she's holding her lips close together, it's going to be painful, so start again – it may take some time to get right at first, but over time you and your baby will become experts at this.

Pillows are good to support baby at first till you get more used to feeding him.

Holding the baby with one hand at the back of the head/neck will help to get her in the right position - otherwise, her neck and head will bobble about and you will probably end up with poor positioning. A good way to remember how to get the right positioning for breastfeeding is to imagine you are wearing your baby like a belt, tucked tummy onto you with their legs together and wrapped round your sides

When you have latched your baby on, count to ten - if it hurts then something is wrong, often a bad latch! It may be uncomfortable for a while but you shouldn't have pain - if you do you need to get it sorted out. Take the baby off the breast (with a finger in the baby’s mouth to break the suction) and start again. If you're having trouble latching on think about your whole position, not just fixating on nipple and mouth - especially look at whether you are relaxed, and the baby's weight is in the right place

Routine? What Routine?!
    Don't even think about trying to get into a routine before 6 weeks – the housework can wait, your baby won’t be this small again. When your baby cries, she probably is hungry, even if she just fed one hour ago. Before your baby is due, cook a batch of food (or buy ready meals) for the freezer so you can concentrate on breastfeeding in the early days

Trying to extend the time between feeds is NOT going to mean more milk on the next feed, just the opposite. Your milk production will be increased by your baby suckling, and will not dry out overnight - stopping milk production is a process that can also be retraced, ie. if you start nursing more, your breasts will start producing more milk again. It won't always happen overnight, but it will happen within a few days.

Rather than 'feeding on demand' try unrestricted feeding, so as well as feeding when baby asks (and this can be rooting not just crying) also offer a feed if you think it's a good time, if baby is awake and alert, if you need to go out soon, if you're sitting down with nothing else to do, if your breasts are full. Breastfeeding is a two way process - don't be afraid to encourage your baby to feed to make you more comfortable, they'll usually be happy to oblige. This style of feeding is even better than demand feeding for establishing a really good milk supply quickly.

Whatever you do, don't worry that your young baby is feeding too often. If you consider how much food/drink passes your lips on an average day, you will likely find that the baby isn't that much different - especially when you take into account how small your baby's tummy is.

When you are established
    Make sure your family know how important this is to you. Sometimes well-meaning relatives will step in and try to get you to use bottles, especially if you're having any difficulty. If you're exhausted you're more likely to agree, and then you may regret it later. If they know you're very committed to breastfeeding, and want their support, they're more likely to encourage you, rather than tempting you to try bottle feeding.

Some women prefer not to buy bottles before the birth. They feel that if they are close at hand, it might be too tempting to use them at the first sign of any problems with breastfeeding. However, if you decide to do this, then its worth looking before the baby is born at which bottles you would want to use, so that in an emergency you can send someone to buy them quickly. An alternative is to buy the equipment before your baby is born, but then either get your husband or partner to hide them, or else leave them at a friend’s house.

Once breastfeeding, it is possible to express your milk so that you can have a break, and someone else can look after the baby. This is also useful if you are worried that the father won't get a chance to bond with the baby if he misses out on feed time (although there are lots of other opportunities for Dad to do some bonding). Its best to start expressing before your milk supply settles down, otherwise you may find it more difficult to produce enough milk for both expressing and breastfeeding.

Don't necessarily wait too long before introducing a bottle. If you've had problems establishing feeding then you're probably best waiting, but if you've got a natural born feeder, then consider introducing a bottle earlier - otherwise you may end up with a babe that doesn't take a bottle.

However, if you have a history of asthma, eczema or allergies in your family, then you should still avoid peanut or peanut products, and you may find that some foods irritate your baby’s stomach.

Problem-Solving….
    These are some of the tips that have been passed on to me from breastfeeding mothers:

“The best cure for cracked or sore nipples is a little bit of breast milk squeezed out and rubbed (lightly!) onto the nipple and left to dry in the air”
    “Lansinoh healed my cracked and bleeding nipples in a few days - you can buy it from the NCT website, it's pricey, but a little goes a long way and it's worth it!”
    “You don't need a pump to express, you can do it by hand (imagine milking a cow!) and all you need is a large sterilised bowl - and a hot flannel if you are engorged.”
    “The other breast is stimulated when the opposite is sucked, thus it's easier to get a new letdown from a previously "emptied" breast after the baby has sucked on the other one for a while.”
    “Learn how to breastfeed lying down on your side-fabulous for feeding at night”
    “If you are going back to work and are planning to bottle feed eventually, then introduce a bottle once you have the hang of breastfeeding (around 6 weeks). Some girls I know took too long to introduce formula and had a difficult couple of weeks trying to get their baby to take a bottle before returning to work.”
    “Always take spare breast pads when you go out”
    “Put your breast pump together before you need to use it. It took me 40 minutes of faffing to work out how it all fitted together by which time I had to feed Adam again!

And finally….
    Just because your baby lost a certain proportion of their birth weight or isn't gaining a certain amount of weight per week doesn't mean you can't breastfeed - what matters, is that your baby is happy and alert and feeding. Remember also that the charts used by Health visitors to plot growth are based upon formula fed babies, and it’s completely normal for breastfed babies to have a slower weight gain. This does not mean that your baby needs to be weaned earlier.

Trust your body, most babies take a while to learn how to latch and it does get much easier once your milk comes in.

If you are having problems don't give up until you've spoken to a breastfeeding counsellor. If you think you can't continue consider mixed feeding. Some breastmilk is better than none at all and mixed feeding allows some mums to continue nursing who couldn't have done otherwise.

During growth spurts you will find that your baby will probably feed 1-2 hourly, both night and day. This is normal and does not mean that your milk supply isn’t good enough. The best way to deal with them is to accept them, and to rest as much as possible (forget about the housework), eat well, eat lots of chocolate, and make sure that you drink lots of water regularly. They are short term growth spurts, which will end when your milk supply catches up. They normally happen at 3 days, 6 days, 10 days, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 10 weeks, and then monthly

Don't feel pressurised into breastfeeding if you really are against it as chances are that you and your baby will both end up really miserable.

If, in spite of all efforts to breastfeed, you end up bottle feeding - remember you are not a failure. Any breast milk is better than none. Breast may be best for baby but it's not always for best for mother.

Email the Editor
    Send this page to a friend
    Printer Friendly Version

Helplines

Association of Breastfeeding Mothers
    020 7813 1481
    24Hr Helpline
    Breastfeeding Network
    0870 900 8787
    9.30am to 9.30pm
    La Leche League
    020 7242 1278
    24 hour helpline
    National Childbirth Trust
    0870 444 8708

Main Page | THM Profile | THM Writers | Environmental Policy | Privacy Policy | Legal Disclaimer | Contact Us
    Copyright 2004-2008 TreeHugger Mums Limited
    Registered Office: 8 Beechfields Way, Newport, Shrop

http://www.treehuggermums.co.uk/arti...php?article=31

bring back PAGAL LADOOOO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Salam Alaykum,
    I'm not sure if anyone mentioned that wearing bras with an underwire can cause your milk ducts to clog and lead to infection. I was lucky enough to have a midwife to assist me in the weeks following the birth of my son. I had a really hard time the first couple of months because I kept getting a yeast infection on my nipples, so I would have to put medicine in my sons mouth and my nipples before I fed him, and than after he finished I had to put more medicine in his mouth and wash myself and apply medicine to my nipples again. It was a real hassle, and very painful but Al Hamduliah I was able to breastfeed him for 1 year (I quit because I had an accident and needed to take pain meds)
    Ladies, if you're breastfeeding try not to be in stressful situations. I went back to Jordan for a visit when my son was 4 months old, and everyone kept teasing me about my baby weight - I got so stressed that my milk supply diminished, and my son would never take a bottle so he ended up losing weight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Salaam--
    I wanted to add something that is rarely recognized in the world of breastfeeding. Babies born with certain metabolic disorders may not be candidates for breastmilk, and may require complete or a mix of breastmilk/formula and a genetically modified formula. My sister's daughter (my niece) has Phenylketonuria, and she could not breastfeed because a protein found in most animal products and some vegetable products also (the amino acid phenylalanine) is not digestable and accumulates in tissues around her brain (if eaten) to eventually cause seizure disorders and profound mental retardation. She required a genetically modified protein formula as an infant.

I know this is an exception and that there are few cases like this, but I felt compelled to mention it because some people give my sister a very hard time because they are misinformed or not educated about PKU and other metabolic disorders. Some even told her "how can something natural be so bad for you?" and even "you don't know what you're talking about."

Breast is best, when there are no preexisting medical problems, WITHOUT doubt. Every baby born in the USA is screened for PKU (by law), so inshallah it will gain more awareness as the years come

JazakAllah for reading

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've heard some babies won't suckle after they have been circumcised because they are still in shock from that proceedure.

Mentioned
    325 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

^ untrue. don't believe everything you hear! if its done young enough usually there is no shock anyway

Restricted by the sky?

but death for the fish,

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KatarinaRahman View Post
    Breast is best, when there are no preexisting medical problems, WITHOUT doubt. Every baby born in the USA is screened for PKU (by law), so inshallah it will gain more awareness as the years come
    I agree. Sometimes mothers end up having to formula feed due to all kinds of issues, including health problems with the mother, and sometimes just a complete and utter lack of support in helping her establish breastfeeding (if her mum and female relatives can't help then she's reliant on midwives, health visitors etc is she's having difficulty, and most of them are not trained in how to support new mums in establishing breastfeeding) and they turn to formula in desperation..... there are all kinds of reasons why any mother may have to formula feed and IMO it's no-one else's business but her own and other mums shouldn't judge her or demand to know why (she doesn't have to share her medical/obstetric history with *anyone*).

I'm less aware of issues that mean the baby has to have a special formula rather than either breast milk or normal formula so jazak Allahu khayran for raising awareness, and it's more reason to be non-judging of what other mums are doing, and that the reasons for mums making particular decisions may not be any of anyone else's business

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It danger use weight loss medicine for baby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I want to share here my personal experience of breastfeeding my daughter who is 16 months old now and is still on it. In the beginning when I put her to feeding, she was just a day old. Every time I fed her I felt her more calm and crying less. She always used to fall a sleep while breastfeeding. She was always keen for my milk instead of cow's which she always refused to take after a sip or two. I feel so happy for my daughter that she is healthy, intelligent and energetic so far with the grace of Almighty.
    boston niagara falls tour
    West Coast Bus Tours
    Last edited by kate124; 04-07-13 at 10:55 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Very interesting topic! A lot of new informatio for me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Breastmilk production has the law of demand and supply. The more frequent your child is being fed, the more time for a mother to produce more milk. Once you decreased the frequency of feeding, ultimately, your supply will also be decreased.