Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Sleep On Your Stomach?

Question:
    Why is it forbidden to sleep on ones belly? Is it forbidden for both men and women?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.
    The reason for this is that it was forbidden by the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), who left no good thing but he told us about it and left no evil thing but he warned us against it. Ya’eesh ibn Tihfah al-Ghifaari reported that his father said: “I stayed as a guest with the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) with those of the poor whom he hosted. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came out in the night to check up on his guests, and saw me lying on my stomach. He prodded me with his foot and said, ‘Do not lie in this manner, for it is a way of lying that Allaah hates.’” According to another report, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) prodded him with his foot and woke him up, and said, “Do not lie like this, for this is how the people of Hell lie.”

(Reported by Ahmad, al-Fath al-Rabbaani, 14/244-245; by al-Tirmidhi, no. 2798, Shaakir edn.; and by Abu Dawood, al-Sunan, Kitaab al-Adab, no. 5040, al-Da’aas edn. Also reported in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 2270-2271).

This is a general prohibition that applies to both males and females, because the basic principle is that rulings apply to both sexes, except in cases where it is indicated that there is a differentiation between the two. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
    Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid
    Last edited by MG; 11-02-08 at 11:20 PM.
    For The Non-Muslims:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlMBkJme8J4The ProphetSAW sed, "(There are2words which R dear 2 the most gracious (Allah SWT)&very easy4the tongue2say but very heavy in the balance.They are:Subhan Allahi Wa Bihamdihi - Subhan Allahil-Azim.Islam- Why Pay For The Disease,When The Cure Is Free

Re: Sleep On Your Stomach?

For medical reasons,where you cant sleep in any other postition,then different rulings can apply.
    For The Non-Muslims:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlMBkJme8J4The ProphetSAW sed, "(There are2words which R dear 2 the most gracious (Allah SWT)&very easy4the tongue2say but very heavy in the balance.They are:Subhan Allahi Wa Bihamdihi - Subhan Allahil-Azim.Islam- Why Pay For The Disease,When The Cure Is Free

Jazaak Allah, sister!

A similiar Hadith narrated by Haafiz ul Hadith, Hadhrat Abu Hurairah (Radi Allah Anho) that the Holy Prophet, Hadhrat Muhammad-ur Rasulullaah Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) said, 'That this posture, i.e sleeping on one's stomach is disliked by Allah Taa'la.' (Abu Dawood / Tirmidhi)
    Maulana Hafeezud Din
    www.thenoor.tv / SHARI'AH COUNCIL MEMBER
    Birmingham, UK
    DON'T ASK WHO'S A GOOD MUSLIM? BE ONE YOURSELF!
    Teach PEACE! Teach ISLAM!

Oh man..:S seriously? Is that how the people of Hell lie?

What if you go to sleep the sunnah way..then somehow you wake up finding ureself on your stomache? then what?
    “The great Imam ash-Shafi’, he went to his teacher Waki`
    Complaining about the weakness of his memory.
    He told him, ‘abandon rebellion, for knowledge is a light
    And the light of Allah is not bestowed upon a rebel.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mullah_Din View Post
    Jazaak Allah, sister!

A similiar Hadith narrated by Haafiz ul Hadith, Hadhrat Abu Hurairah (Radi Allah Anho) that the Holy Prophet, Hadhrat Muhammad-ur Rasulullaah Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) said, 'That this posture, i.e sleeping on one's stomach is disliked by Allah Taa'la.' (Abu Dawood / Tirmidhi)
    jazakallah brother!

Quote Originally Posted by bint View Post

What if you go to sleep the sunnah way..then somehow you wake up finding ureself on your stomache? then what?
    yes thats what the Prophet SAW said, thats how the people of hell lie *shivers*
    For The Non-Muslims:

Your not accountable for your actions whilst your asleep.

Wallahu Alam.
    If you were in the clouds, Allah would raise us to you or lower you to us for battle.

said this to the Byzantine troops when they retreated from the battle field to the fortified town of Chalcis.

- Khalid ibn Walid

Quote Originally Posted by Fais View Post
    Your not accountable for your actions whilst your asleep.

Wallahu Alam.
    You're 100% correct! A sleeping person is moreorless the same as a dead person!
    Maulana Hafeezud Din
    www.thenoor.tv / SHARI'AH COUNCIL MEMBER
    Birmingham, UK
    DON'T ASK WHO'S A GOOD MUSLIM? BE ONE YOURSELF!
    Teach PEACE! Teach ISLAM!

Oh thats bad :s i feel so comfortable lyin on my left side but i been told its bad for your heart cause you puttin pressure on it and this can result in nightmares.. We should all try sleep on the right hand side for Sunnah insha'Allah
    No time to sig

phew! I was getting worried then.
    “The great Imam ash-Shafi’, he went to his teacher Waki`
    Complaining about the weakness of his memory.
    He told him, ‘abandon rebellion, for knowledge is a light
    And the light of Allah is not bestowed upon a rebel.”

I sleep in whatever position is most comfortable at the moment.

Mullah Sahib.
    If you were in the clouds, Allah would raise us to you or lower you to us for battle.

said this to the Byzantine troops when they retreated from the battle field to the fortified town of Chalcis.

- Khalid ibn Walid

except for the snoring and talking
    May Allah Bless Us All.

Account Disabled

and walking

Quote Originally Posted by Ibn Sina View Post
    and walking
    i find people who sleep walk
    For The Non-Muslims:

Al Salamo Alaykom :
    My dear brothers and sisters , we all know for a fact that Prophet Muhammad SAAW said that Allah SWT hates us to sleep on our stomachs and this answer to the posted question is more than satisfying for us as Muslims because we follow what Allah's Prophet said,however, answering this question from a scientific point of view will help us to understand our religion more and supply us with more Eman and provide us with the knowledge and the ability to answer similar questions .
    Sleeping on the stomach has bad effects on our bodies and it has been proven that it is a bad habit and people should stay away from it. its also believed that it is one of the major causes of "cot death" which effects children under the age of three .
    this video for one of the great islamic scholars talking about the topic
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lieK4E...eature=related
    also.
    you can google it to find out your self, (bbc website is a good source as well.)
    W Al Salamo Alaykom
    Your Brother
    Mr W

It's okay if you accidently sleep on your stomach. You just need to at least start out sleeping in Sunnah position.
    Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up do we realize something was actually strange.

~**~**~**~**~**~ ze leetle elper's Avatar

Sleeping on your right side is better for digestion. Food empties the stomach from right to left so if you have to lie down after eating (not recommended) it is better to lie on your right side. Otherwise the recommendation is at least 40 steps after eating before lying down
    What does 'freedom' mean?

Does the eagle want to swim in the sea,
    Restricted by the sky?

Does the fish want to dance on the wind,
    Not enough river to explore?

Yet the sky is freedom for the bird
    but death for the fish,

The sea is wide for the fish
    but will engulf the bird.

We ask for freedom but freedom to do what?
    We can only express our nature as it was created.

The prayer mat of the earth is freedom,
    freedom from slavery to other than the One,
    Who offers an shoreless ocean of love to swim in
    and a horizon that extends to the next life,

Revert :)

asalaamu alaikum

firstly, i want to acknowledge that sleeping on your right side is the sunnah, and the way we should try to sleep. Sleeping on the left is makruh according to most scholars.

However, please note that some scholars say that the hadeeths prohibiting/discouraging sleeping on the stomach are unauthentic.

for proofs, please check out the following.

http://www.ahlalhdeeth.com/vb/showth...?threadid=5001 (for arabic speakers)

http://www.ahlalhdeeth.com/vbe/showp...09&postcount=5 (basic summarization in english)

that withstanding, as i said, it is still sunnah to sleep on the right side. but, just note that many scholars believe the hadeeths about sleeping on stomach are da'eef. i just thought i would mention that

wa salaam
    Last edited by greenshirt; 03-06-08 at 07:24 AM.

I belong to A L L A H

I gotta learn to sleep the sunnah way, Insha'Allah. If I lie on my stomach, I can fall asleep in under a minute and I find it to be the most comfortable position. Shaitaan seriously knows how to get me

I used to sleep on left side until I changed beds. Now its right side. Sleeping on your stomach can make you sleep in a really really deep sleep (so ive noticed) -

oh and make sure pre toddler kids (kids who dont have control over their sleeping position - usually those under 18 months) dont sleep on their stomach, always lie them on their back otherwise they may smother themselves and stop breathing :-/
    You are not aware of the consequences that would result (if you were granted what you desire) because what you seek might be to your detriment. (O soul) be conscious that your Master is more aware about your well-being than you are.

~Ibn Al-Jawzee

Quote Originally Posted by ze leetle elper View Post
    Sleeping on your right side is better for digestion. Food empties the stomach from right to left so if you have to lie down after eating (not recommended) it is better to lie on your right side. Otherwise the recommendation is at least 40 steps after eating before lying down
    really wow I learn something new everyday

phew! I was getting worried then.

Change your mattress get harder one. Its simple

Subhanallah, I didn't know it was haraam to sleep on your stomach...I've been a stomach-sleeper for as long as I can remember, and I find it easiest to fall sleep when I lie down this way...is it really that bad that it is haraam? like are there any other opinions on the matter, as I was never told that it's this serious...this is scary Wallah...I do know it is Sunnah to sleep on my right side, and I conciously make the effort to do this, but most of the time I'd be too sleepy or tired to be aware of how I'm lying down
    Last edited by tickledpinko; 09-10-08 at 07:00 AM.
    The Prophet said: "The Muslim Ummah is a unique Ummah among the whole of mankind: Their Land is one, their War is one, their Peace is one, their Honor is one and their Trust is one." (Ahmed)

Islamic Etiquette of Sleeping

Islamic Etiquette of Sleeping

Question
    Dear Sheikh! As-Salaam `Alaykum. What does Islam say on sleeping on one’s belly especially as this may stir sexual desire?

Answer

Wa `Alaykum As-Salam Wa Rahmatullah Wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All thanks and praise are due to Allah and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear questioner, it really pleases us to receive your question, which reflects your interest in understanding the teachings of Islam.

In the first place, we would like to note that Islam has stipulated noble principles and teachings that will guide man in every aspect of life. Nothing is left untouched by this great religion revealed to cater for the welfare of mankind. This fact is further stressed in the following statements of the Prophet’s Companions, may Allah be pleased with them: “The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, used to teach us everything even the etiquette of answering the call of nature.” A Muslim is commanded to abide by the dictates of morality and general sense of purity at all times.

Unlike other religions and ideologies, Islam is not separated from life; rather, its teachings stand side by side with man in every walk of life. Islam teaches us how to make intimate relations with our wives, how to eat, how to drink, how to sleep and how to get up. These are known in Islam as the general Adaab (manners).

Among the things that give a person immunity against any psychological disorders that might face man during sleeping is showing full compliance with the Prophet's recommendation concerning the etiquette of getting ready for bed, such as reading well-known supplications, sleeping on the right side, and avoiding sleeping on the belly, for the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) forbade sleeping on the belly.

As far as the question of sleeping on belly is concerned, we would like to cite for you the following fatwa issued by Prof. `Ali As-Sawwa, professor of Shari`ah at the University of Jordan:

A Muslim should not sleep on his belly especially as this may strengthen his sexual urge. In addition, it is an unhealthy manner of sleeping. Abu Hurairah (may Allah be pleased with him) reported that one day the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) passed by a man sleeping on his belly. He tapped the man with his foot saying: “Such manner of sleeping is loathed by Allah” (Ibn Hibban).

Here, it is also beneficial to mention some Islamic manners of sleeping:

1-Try to sleep in the state of purity.

2-Dust your bed three times before you go to sleep.

3-Lie down on your right side, put your right hand under your right cheek and recite: “ O Allah! in Thy Name I live and die.”

4-Before you sleep recite Ayat al-Kursi and the two last verses of the same Surah.

5-Seek Allah’s forgiveness and His guidance.

6-Before you sleep recite once Surat Al-Mulk.

7-When you wake up recite: “Praise be to Allah Who brought to us life again after He has caused us to die and unto Him shall be the Resurrection.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503545450
    guess I gotta work on that when I go to bed Inshaallah
    The Prophet said: "The Muslim Ummah is a unique Ummah among the whole of mankind: Their Land is one, their War is one, their Peace is one, their Honor is one and their Trust is one." (Ahmed)

I never feel comfortable lieing on my belly.

The only and the most comfortable position for me is to sleep on my right side with my right hand under my head.

I got used to sleeping on right since I learnt it was a sunnah like 8-10 yrs ago and since then am just used to sleeping on my right side. Even before that I was used to sleeping on my side position only I guess.. but not specific only to right.

Even when i wake up I have never found myself sleepin flat on my belly...but either on my side postions or sleeping flat on my back...but never on belly... alhamdulillah
    لا أريد مِنْكُمْ جَزَاء وَلا شُكُورًا

youtube video by Shaykh Bilal philips on the topic .

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=lieK4EzFCWA
    Where there are no Ulemah(Scholars) there are many Muftis.

I
    deal System of Living for All Mankind .

Quote Originally Posted by Pro_Candy View Post
    I sleep in whatever position is most comfortable at the moment.
    but we should strive to obey the Messenger of Allah, he would not tell us something if it was not for our own good

.لا نر زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
    نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد

Quote Originally Posted by MG View Post
    For medical reasons,where you cant sleep in any other postition,then different rulings can apply.
    Do you know what those rulings are? Can you please share them. I've been wanting to know about this for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zey View Post
    Do you know what those rulings are? Can you please share them. I've been wanting to know about this for quite some time.
    Well it would seem that if sleeping in a position (other than on your stomach) would cause serious health problems, then insha'Allah lying on one's belly would be permissible.
    'Nor say of anything,"I shall be sure to do so and so tomorrow" without adding, " if Allah (SWT) Wills" (18:23-24)

QuranExplorer.com, where you can Listen to the Holy Recitation and Translation online in Arabic and English : http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/

Quote Originally Posted by Peacenik View Post
    Well it would seem that if sleeping in a position (other than on your stomach) would cause serious health problems, then insha'Allah lying on one's belly would be permissible.
    I don't think it would cause serious health problems as such, but sleeping on my stomach is the only way I can sleep sometimes. There's some sorta inflammation inside my stomach, so when it hurts I can't do anything but just lie down and wait for it to calm down. Every night it's the same thing, the only way I can sleep is if I sleep on my stomach, because it somehow lessens the pain. I think it's something to do with the pressure that suppresses the pain? It's been like this for months, when it's normal I try and sleep on my side, but when it hurts the only way to deal with it is to lie down.

~**~**~**~**~**~ ze leetle elper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saveed View Post
    Change your mattress get harder one. Its simple
    Good advice. If you sleep on a hard mattress or even the floor you actually can ONLY sleep on your side. Its very uncomfortable t sleep on your stomach or back so problem solved!
    What does 'freedom' mean?

Does the eagle want to swim in the sea,
    Restricted by the sky?

Does the fish want to dance on the wind,
    Not enough river to explore?

Yet the sky is freedom for the bird
    but death for the fish,

The sea is wide for the fish
    but will engulf the bird.

We ask for freedom but freedom to do what?
    We can only express our nature as it was created.

The prayer mat of the earth is freedom,
    freedom from slavery to other than the One,
    Who offers an shoreless ocean of love to swim in
    and a horizon that extends to the next life,

Quote Originally Posted by Zey View Post
    I don't think it would cause serious health problems as such, but sleeping on my stomach is the only way I can sleep sometimes. There's some sorta inflammation inside my stomach, so when it hurts I can't do anything but just lie down and wait for it to calm down. Every night it's the same thing, the only way I can sleep is if I sleep on my stomach, because it somehow lessens the pain. I think it's something to do with the pressure that suppresses the pain? It's been like this for months, when it's normal I try and sleep on my side, but when it hurts the only way to deal with it is to lie down.
    Have you checked your condition with the local GP (or doctor) ? - maybe it is something quite serious ? - I appreciate that you possibly have no choice but to lay on your stomach, but what I've highlighted certainly needs to be looked into.
    'Nor say of anything,"I shall be sure to do so and so tomorrow" without adding, " if Allah (SWT) Wills" (18:23-24)

QuranExplorer.com, where you can Listen to the Holy Recitation and Translation online in Arabic and English : http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/

Please forgive my ignorance... when you quote " (Reported by Ahmad, al-Fath al-Rabbaani, 14/244-245; by al-Tirmidhi, no. 2798, Shaakir edn.; and by Abu Dawood, al-Sunan, Kitaab al-Adab, no. 5040, al-Da’aas edn. Also reported in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 2270-2271) " you are referring to the hadiths, correct?

I have trouble understanding the purpose of the hadiths, and where it was mentioned in the Qu'ran to follow other books besides the Qu'ran. Can anyone guide me to finding something like this?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by divided View Post
    I have trouble understanding the purpose of the hadiths, and where it was mentioned in the Qu'ran to follow other books besides the Qu'ran. Can anyone guide me to finding something like this?

Thank you.
    The Qur'an mentions that obeying the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) is equal to obeying Allah. You cannot claim to obey Allah and not obey the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him).

Say (O Muhammad SAW to mankind): "If you (really) love Allâh then follow me (i.e. accept Islâmic Monotheism, follow the Qur'ân and the Sunnah), Allâh will love you and forgive you your sins. And Allâh is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." [Qur'an 3: 31]

O you who believe! Obey Allâh and obey the Messenger (Muhammad SAW), and those of you (Muslims) who are in authority. (And) if you differ in anything amongst yourselves, refer it to Allâh and His Messenger (SAW), if you believe in Allâh and in the Last Day. That is better and more suitable for final determination. [Qur'an 4: 59]

But no, by your Lord, they can have no Faith, until they make you (O Muhammad SAW) judge in all disputes between them, and find in themselves no resistance against your decisions, and accept (them) with full submission. [Qur'an 4: 65]

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) is the living role model Allah wants us all to follow. He was the Qur'an put into practice. This is why anything the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) did is considered worthy of emulating and brings one closer to Allah, however anything else is considered a blameworthy innovation which causes one to stray off the Straight Path.

Indeed in the Messenger of Allâh (Muhammad SAW) you have a great example to follow for him who hopes for (the Meeting with) Allâh and the Last Day and remembers Allâh much. [Qur'an 33: 21]

This is why Hadith is invaluable for it reveals the Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) that we ought to follow.

Account Disabled

Sleeping on my stomach causes me to wake with lower back pain. It is also bad for your neck

When someone sleeps on their back their is more pressure on the their heart, and they are more likely to experience sleep paralysis.
    Sleep on your back with your hands on your chest and you will experience more vivid dreams, but you are more likely to get sleep paralysis. You are more likely to snore on your back too, and that lowers the qaulity of your sleep.

Its healthiest for somone to sleep on their side in recovery position.