Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

LIVE Arabic Classes with Abu Mus'ab Wednesday 8:30PM GMT (9:30pm BST) skype: ummahradio Show Details here

Listen Online:www.ummahradio.com
DOWNLOAD THE APP

Note: All classes are still on the old times of GMT, not GMT +1 a.k.a. BST, with the exception of the Tafseer Class, for that will be done at 7:30pm GMT, or 6:30pm GMT+1/BST

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Should Muslim Women Go to UNIVERSITY

i debate with my daughter in law about this

why?

because she went to school, now she is at home with two children, and unless she just happens to find a job that will accommodate her needs, what was the purpose of her going to college?

she is a nurse
    .لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
    نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد

~Unworthy of Mercy~
    Mere Amaal Ka Badla To Jahannum Hi Tha, Mein To Jati Mujhe Mustafa (SAW) Ne Janey NA Diya (IA)

Re: Should Muslim Women Go to UNIVERSITY

she could like become a private nurse for pregnant women and deal with home births
    Some claim that u are like any one of us, But who can claim, to have visited the Arsh? We say bashr, but respect is also due. For mankind are like rocks, but a pearl are u. U travelled the 7Heavens, and ur eyes did not lie. For Jibril could not pass, but u, O Madani, glided by.

Odan

AssalamuAlaykum

Hmm *thinks* For the knowledge and the experiences gained?

WassalamuAlaykum

P.S. I dont know if I understood the question properly

Chillin' with my axe

Depends if the career is relevant to the needs of Muslim women. So becoming a doctor/teacher etc is OK but I don't think studying for things like politics/engineering/law/acounting etc is particularly good for a Muslim woman. Allaahu 'Alam.

you guys may not like this, but here goes

i think the only women who should spend time going to university, in pursuit of career, are barren women

they should be the foremost in the community and the ummah when the services of women are needed

not to say other women are forbidden from doing these things, but this pursuit of careers is damaging our families, as it is damaging the families of the kuffar

Odan

Quote Originally Posted by AbuMubarak View Post

i think the only women who should spend time going to university, in pursuit of career, are barren women

they should be the foremost in the community and the ummah when the services of women are needed

not to say other women are forbidden from doing these things, but this pursuit of careers is damaging our families, as it is damaging the families of the kuffar
    AssalamuAlaykum

WassalamuAlaykum

is STILL mawliding*joy*:D Chained_Water's Avatar
    Birmingham Shareef: the holy city of the UK

The women who can have kids should be uneducated and have no intellectual value in society, they are only baby making machines? Women who can't fulfil this basic purpose of producing babies, OK, they can learn and educate themselves, what else are they going to do? they're no good for producing young afterall!

Nice.
    My Lord, my trust in all Your purposes is strong, That trust is now my shield; I'm safe, and undeceived.- Ali bin Husayn al-Habshi

Real forsaking is forgetting the thing forsaken.- Shaykh al-Shadhili

Live as long as you wish, you shall die. Love whatever you wish, you shall be separated from it. Do whatever you wish, you shall be rewarded for it. - Jibreel (as)

ياَ أَبَا اَلزَّهْرَاء وَلَّذِي صَانَكْ- لاَتُخَيِّبْنَا يَا سِيْدِي نَحْنُ ضِيْفَانَكْ
    O father of Zahra, for the sake of the One who protected you,
    Please do not leave us disappointed, O master, we are your guests. - Shaykh Ahmad al-Alawi (rh)

أَنتَ رَبّي وَ عِلْمُكَ حَسْبِيْ. فَنِعْمَ الرَّبُّ رَبِّي وَ نِعْمَ الحَسْبُ حَسْبِيْ.ـ حِزْبُ البَحْر

What kind of thing is that to say? Regarding barren women i mean?!!?
    *~* Learn Patience from Aasiyah (RA); Loyalty from Khadhija (RA); Sincerity from Aisha (RA) and Steadfastness from Fatima (RA).*~*

Account Disabled

akhi, this subject has been spoken about many times.

A women shouldn't be prevented from gaining knowledge or have a career in something which will benefit the Ummah, but islaamic education comes first because it's fardh.

the permissibility in her studying in a mixed university to get to that stage is another matter in itself.

i went but not for the sake of career. i havent even applied for anything since i graduated, and i have got a 1st class so if i tried i could probably get something but i just dont want to, and i knew that since the first year of uni that i dont want a career.. but since i was doing arabic i just went for the sake of learning that. you can learn it in different places not just uni, but then alot of the good places are abroad anyway and i cant go, and it made my parents happy for me to get a degree.. so i dont see the problem in that so much. and its not like when u go that u HAVE to mix with men alot. unless i had friends (girls) to meet, i used to just go in to lessons and come straight back to my house, u dont have to sit around in the jcr and talk to random people
    .: Rufaida :.
    .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.

“People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
    but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
    ~ Ibn Atallah

Salam

women need to be educated to teach the children. a woman could go to uni and teach other children in a school or private tutor.

or sometimes a woman wants to go to uni to educate herself.
    Say, O My servants who have transgressed against themselves [by sinning], do not despair of the mercy of Allah . Indeed, Allah forgives all sins. Indeed, it is He who is the Forgiving, the Merciful.”
    (Surah Az Zumar, (Chapter 39: Verse 53)

Quote Originally Posted by Zesty View Post
    What kind of thing is that to say? Regarding barren women i mean?!!?
    sorry

i didnt know the word barren was considered rude

♥ لا إله إلا الله ♥

as salaam alaykum

i got married straight after A levels... prior to marriage my husband said i can study further [i wanted to go into teaching]... after we got married he said i can't go to university, and he didnt go either.

now hes going back into education [hes 26] and he sed i can too. honestly im v happy about this, i want to teach in an islamic school inshAllah. i was v sad when he said i couldnt study further.

but his intentions were good... i can understand why its disapproved off. even muslims get up to all sorts. sometimes even what we think is innocent, isnt right at all.

good on your daughter in law tho... kids grow up and she will have the qualifications if ever there is a need for her to work, and nursing is a v nice field for a muslimah to be in.

~Unworthy of Mercy~
    Mere Amaal Ka Badla To Jahannum Hi Tha, Mein To Jati Mujhe Mustafa (SAW) Ne Janey NA Diya (IA)

funny how those men that are against women being educated are the same ones that demand their wifes to be seen by female doctors and female nurses and female optometrists and have female driving instructors etc
    Some claim that u are like any one of us, But who can claim, to have visited the Arsh? We say bashr, but respect is also due. For mankind are like rocks, but a pearl are u. U travelled the 7Heavens, and ur eyes did not lie. For Jibril could not pass, but u, O Madani, glided by.

Bulbule si Zindagani Love&Peace's Avatar

University education is not just for developing careers.
    We have a saying in Hindi that one mother equals 100 teachers.

Many sisters on this forum are not working but when we read their post we can feel that they are well informed and very intelligent.
    School education just gives basic understanding. University education really grooms indivial's transferable skills.

Plus as a human being, everyone should get the opportunity to pursue their interest and gain knowledge. University education will allow it to do in much systmetic approach. Why Mothers should not be given this right?

U r of my father's age and u might have seen life more than me but this is just my opnion, nothing to Contradict you.

With Respects,
    Love&Peace

mms

i am NOT against women being doctors or any other career

I am against women putting careers before marriage and family

and if there are women who cannot marry or have children, then these women are best suited for community services

Touchy topic no...
    ALLAHu Alam i'm averse to them going to unis etc. I make leeway for the guys since they have to provide for the family and it's there obligation but where they can, they should stay away like if they can go to all boys' classes etc.
    "Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes"

Quote Originally Posted by Love&Peace View Post
    University education is not just for developing careers.
    We have a saying in Hindi that one mother equals 100 teachers.

Many sisters on this forum are not working but when we read their post we can feel that they are well informed and very intelligent.
    School education just gives basic understanding. University education really grooms indivial's transferable skills.

Plus as a human being, everyone should get the opportunity to pursue their interest and gain knowledge. University education will allow it to do in much systmetic approach. Why Mothers should not be given this right?

U r of my father's age and u might have seen life more than me but this is just my opnion, nothing to Contradict you.

With Respects,
    Love&Peace
    one of my daughters NEVER went to school, she is now going for university, so she had to get her high school diploma after she got married, and her professors are astonished at how bright she is

she is articulate, and she is getting straight A's, this did not come from going to university or even any other school, this came from being in a home where knowledge and intelligence were stressed

by no means am i advocating stupidity for women

a stupid woman is a stupid mother and she will raise stupid kids

~Unworthy of Mercy~

mms

and if there are women who cannot marry or have children, then these women are best suited for community services
    i think there are a lot of sisters on this forum who have completed university but i dont know of any who would put career before their family or dump their kids into care while going out to work if it is not necessary

but its good to have an education because the 'men' of today are pretty unreliable and irresponsible ( ) so its good to have an education incase you need to provide for yourself and the family

Bulbule si Zindagani Love&Peace's Avatar

one of my daughters NEVER went to school, she is now going for university, so she had to get her high school diploma after she got married, and her professors are astonished at how bright she is

she is articulate, and she is getting straight A's, this did not come from going to university or even any other school, this came from being in a home where knowledge and intelligence were stressed

Ask her
    "Is she feeling difference in herself after going to Uni regarding communication skills, confidence level etc? "

That's the thing... A woman doesn't have to go to uni to develop intelligence/ understanding. She can be home-schooled with women tutors etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Love&Peace View Post
    Ask her
    "Is she feeling difference in herself after going to Uni regarding communication skills, confidence level etc? "
    i have asked her that very question and she showed me a paper she received an A which she spoke of how much her father benefitted her education by keeping her away from the evils of public school but instead gave her insight and wisdom about life

i have always stressed to my children that it is up to them to make their lives and NOT have others make their lives

you establish what is important to you, dont let the kuffar do it, or they will have you doing wrong

Allah has given us all sufficient knowledge to live and survive, anything else is test, which we can either pass or fail

One thing i dont understand is how the free mixing and fitna in unis is overlooked.

My husband and i aswell as our daughter all decided it was best tht she stays at home after finishing school (which was an all girls school)
    But in no way shape or form did tht mean she was any less intelligent than her freinds who went on to college and uni or tht she stopped her education
    she carried on studying at home , she studies online and now has a job an islamic school mashAllah. This proves tht uni is definately not the only way to study.
    "Say: 'O My servants who have transgressed against your own souls, do not despair of God's mercy, for God forgives all sins. It is He who is the Forgiving, the Merciful.'" [Quran, 39:53]

the solution is that muslims have to stop going to the kuffar for jobs and start their own businesses, their own schools, their own everything

this way, we can decide our future instead of having to submit to the ways of the kuffar

and each of us should be making a plan on how to do that

In complete honesty i have come across very few muslimahs who put their careers/degrees/education before their family and children. Alhamdullilah they are women who educated themselves, gave dawah at University and are the best mothers and educators to their children.

If a career comes first for a woman and this leads to her neglecting her husband and children then without a doubt that is an issue.
    *~* Learn Patience from Aasiyah (RA); Loyalty from Khadhija (RA); Sincerity from Aisha (RA) and Steadfastness from Fatima (RA).*~*

zesty, you missed maryam in your signature, aaisha was not mentioned in the four most perfect women

It's not the degree. It's what she did or went through at uni to get it. The free-mixing etc. And some might say they didn't free-mix... But was there any need for you to be in that situation in the first place?

EDIT: Lemme change free-mixing to "being in a mixed environment" as that's more neutral.

mms

And those who attend college or University feel the need to put careers before children? Is that what you mean?
    If you read this closely enough you might spot the secret message hidden in it

Mr President, You Are Wrong

zesty, you missed maryam in your signature, aaisha was not mentioned in the four most perfect women
    LOL! JazakAllah Khair brother AbuM
    This is the quote i have read everywhere- i will re check it inshaAllah.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
    And those who attend college or University feel the need to put careers before children? Is that what you mean?
    I think he's saying if they don't, and effectively don't use their degrees etc. then there's no point in them having gone to uni in the first place.

And no, i'm not advocating women working, especially in the modern environment.

kalel

without getting into a wordy match, you are what you do

if you spend more time reading quran than war and peace, you are devoted to quran

you cant say you are devoted to quran if you never pick it up

if you spend hours and days and months and years devoted to secular education in hopes of getting a job, then that is your priority

if you spend time focusing on your islam and your devotion to Allah and you trust that Allah will give you a righteous husband, then that is your priority

I wanted my wife to have a degree for 2 reasons:

1) she's the one who vl teach them & help with their school work

2) if something happens to me, then she vl not have to depend on charity for her survival.
    Financial freedom is a matter of choice. We came into this world sustenance-guaranteed from our creator. However, it is our choice to be enslaved by money.

Just a note AbuM, re: reading Qur'an. I'd say the one who acts on Qur'an has a close relationship to it. Because some just read for fanciness and brag that I read Qur'an 7 times or so and so i know my Deen but they preach + practise absolute nonsense which Islam is free of.

Quote Originally Posted by RashidD View Post
    I think he's saying if they don't, and effectively don't use their degrees etc. then there's no point in them having gone to uni in the first place.
    exactly akhi

i have no problem with sisters going to islamic universities to become scholars

its just this focus on making money is killing us, because when you focus on money, the one who controls money, controls you

kalel

without getting into a wordy match, you are what you do

if you spend more time reading quran than war and peace, you are devoted to quran

you cant say you are devoted to quran if you never pick it up

if you spend hours and days and months and years devoted to secular education in hopes of getting a job, then that is your priority

if you spend time focusing on your islam and your devotion to Allah and you trust that Allah will give you a righteous husband, then that is your priority
    I agree with that and understand the general concept, but you know the thread title was specific to women and not Muslims in general and I sincerely did not understand your point in the thread.

But your part in bold relates to both genders and not women specifically. I think your issue is that you're referring to the trend that women in general - because they're so deeply entrenched in academic studies - begin to priorities those studies ahead of their personal lives e.g. potential marriage. But those who are home-schooled, you point out, don't get a lesser education (so an institution isn't necessary for a child) and at the same time are in touch with their personal lives and personal ambitions of e.g. starting a family.

Am I right or just stretching?
    If you read this closely enough you might spot the secret message hidden in it

Mr President, You Are Wrong

I think an excellent example for this thread is Abu Mus'ab. He's never been to school.

Quote Originally Posted by RashidD View Post
    I think an excellent example for this thread is Abu Mus'ab. He's never been to school.
    Abu Muthab is a sister?
    Im sure he goes to some kind of school..

He studies Deen. But IIRC has never been to a secular school.