Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Question about saying the shahada

Salaams.

I have a question about recieting the shahada. I want the shahada to be my last words, but since I'm not very good with Arabic, I'm worried that I'll mess up recieting the shahada and say something completely different as my last words. A person can die at any time, whether it be illness, accident, or homocide. If I get into a car crash or something, I'm worried that I'll try and say the shahada but I'll mess up or something. In which case, is there any problem with me saying the shahada in both English and Arabic? That way, I can reciet the shahada in it's original language, and I can understand what I'm saying when I say it in English. You know what I'm saying?
    Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up do we realize something was actually strange.

Ibn Abi Ukhti Al Kashmiri Sulaiman Harun's Avatar

Re: Question about saying the shahada

The Prophet said:
    "Mun Aakhir Kalimaat La Ilaha ILlah dakhala jannah."

"Whose last words are La Ilaha ILlah will enter Paradise"

Not shahadah but La Ilaha ILlah

Do you mean it will be easier for you to say it in English rather than Arabic so is it allowed or not?
    www.ashaabulquran.com
    www.aladabalmufrad.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sulaiman Harun View Post

Do you mean it will be easier for you to say it in English rather than Arabic so is it allowed or not?
    Yes.
    Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up do we realize something was actually strange.

Ibn Abi Ukhti Al Kashmiri Sulaiman Harun's Avatar

Since it's not same as using english instead of Arabic to recite the Qur'an, in terms or rewards, same way for La Ilaha ILlah or even shahadah and Allah (SWT) knows best!
    www.ashaabulquran.com
    www.aladabalmufrad.wordpress.com

Account Disabled

u say it in the tashahud bro! doh!

Can I say that Insha'Allah I think the words shall come naturally....

I had a n op some while back and woke up reciting the kalima!I was so glad and refreshed that they werew the first words I was uttering - and may indeed have been the last if at had gone the other way!

I understand your fears - but reckon Allah swt knows best - he knows your intention - so leave it at that - try to perfect your speaking skills but am sure ultimately he will understand and forgive and errors!
    Please Re-update your Signature

Quote Originally Posted by Rie_Maya View Post
    Can I say that Insha'Allah I think the words shall come naturally....

I had a n op some while back and woke up reciting the kalima!I was so glad and refreshed that they werew the first words I was uttering - and may indeed have been the last if at had gone the other way!

I understand your fears - but reckon Allah swt knows best - he knows your intention - so leave it at that - try to perfect your speaking skills but am sure ultimately he will understand and forgive and errors!
    True. This might sound weird, but I recieted the shahada in a dream before. I woke up and was suprised with myself that I was able to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfn View Post
    True. This might sound weird, but I recieted the shahada in a dream before. I woke up and was suprised with myself that I was able to do that.
    sorry to bump this old thread but was this conclusion that you can or can't say it in English?

Quote Originally Posted by ssh View Post
    sorry to bump this old thread but was this conclusion that you can or can't say it in English?
    bump again

You have to say it in Arabic, but it's not that difficult. Usually the person who is there (like the Imam) will say it and then you just repeat after him. It doesn't have to be perfect Arabic.

You can even just read the transliteration on your own.

Don't waste time! Try today: http://www.kalamullah.com/non-muslims.html
    Call onto Allah, such that you are certain that He, al-Mujib wal-Kareem, will answer your call before you even lower your hands.
    وَقَالَ رَبُّكُمُ ادْعُونِي أَسْتَجِبْ لَكُمْ

Quote Originally Posted by .mirror. View Post
    You have to say it in Arabic, but it's not that difficult. Usually the person who is there (like the Imam) will say it and then you just repeat after him. It doesn't have to be perfect Arabic.

You can even just read the transliteration on your own.

Don't waste time! Try today: http://www.kalamullah.com/non-muslims.html
    mirror that is a big contradiction

Which?
    Call onto Allah, such that you are certain that He, al-Mujib wal-Kareem, will answer your call before you even lower your hands.

You say it has to be in Arabic

then

It doesn't matter if your Arabic isn't that good

wal 'aqibatulil muttaqeen Uthman Ibn Afan's Avatar

then

The declaration of faith has to be said in Arabic for a person to become a Muslim, but even if it is with bad pronunciation it is still valid as long as the meaning is not altered.
    http://kondori.wordpress.com/

Like this page on FB
    HasbunAllah Wani'mal Wakeel | حسبنا الله ونعم الوكيل

Allah is Sufficient for us, and He is the Best Disposer of affairs.

"...its better to light a small candle than to curse the darkness..."

"We need to emphasise that differences of fiqh are the not the depth of religion, the depth of religion is piety." ~
    Shaykh Akram Nadwi

Salātullāhi wa Salāmuhu Ďalayka ya Rasūlallāh

then

I meant the pronunciation of words.

Quote Originally Posted by .mirror. View Post
    I meant the pronunciation of words.
    Ok I know you meant that but here's my point. If someone can't speak English that well and they are trying to speak to me, the mispronunciation of the word makes it sound like they said another word, so their whole sentence is not saying what they want it to say because of their bad English, get me?

How come ppl cannot say the exact same words but in English? Then they are sure of what they said.

Salam Alaikum,

Isn't it though, that you are not really in control of your words in this case when you are dying. If you were a true believer as Allah SW has asked us to believe and practice the deen and with his mercy you can probably say it even if you can't pronounce it properly. But if you wasn't a good believer or a non-practising Muslim and you know the Shahada fully and of the top of your head and you even get the chance to say it, it might be possible that it won't come out even if you are trying, obviously Allah SW is the all merciful and can grant it if he wills.

Allah tala Knows best, do correct me if i am wrong inshAllah

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfn View Post
    Salaams.

I have a question about recieting the shahada. I want the shahada to be my last words, but since I'm not very good with Arabic, I'm worried that I'll mess up recieting the shahada and say something completely different as my last words. A person can die at any time, whether it be illness, accident, or homocide. If I get into a car crash or something, I'm worried that I'll try and say the shahada but I'll mess up or something. In which case, is there any problem with me saying the shahada in both English and Arabic? That way, I can reciet the shahada in it's original language, and I can understand what I'm saying when I say it in English. You know what I'm saying?

The one who uses miswak will not die except that he has said La Ilha Il Allah

To all the Muslims. I am your brother and I love you all for the sake of Allah. May Allah unite the Muslimeen; Ameen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohamad View Post

The one who uses miswak will not die except that he has said La Ilha Il Allah
    pay attention, that post was 6 years ago!

pay attention, that post was 6 years ago!

The answer still benefits anyone who opens the topic looking for the answer to the OP's question.

To all the Muslims. I am your brother and I love you all for the sake of Allah. May Allah unite the Muslimeen; Ameen.

The answer still benefits anyone who opens the topic looking for the answer to the OP's question.
    then there's no point in doing a search for old threads to continue if ppl like you who don't pay attention just repeat and repeat the first post without looking at the continuation.

then there's no point in doing a search for old threads to continue if ppl like you who don't pay attention just repeat and repeat the first post without looking at the continuation.

The continuation was answered, yet I didn't read a reply that told the benefit of the miswak so I added it so that people looking to say Shahada when they die can use it.

Why are you picking on me?

The continuation was answered, yet I didn't read a reply that told the benefit of the miswak so I added it so that people looking to say Shahada when they die can use it.

Why are you picking on me?
    I'm not picking on you geez i'm asking you about your reason for quoting a 6 yr old post.
    You told me your answer.

Why are you spit your dummy??

I'm not picking on you geez i'm asking you about your reason for quoting a 6 yr old post.
    You told me your answer.

Why are you spit your dummy??

Okay. Sorry.

Ok I know you meant that but here's my point. If someone can't speak English that well and they are trying to speak to me, the mispronunciation of the word makes it sound like they said another word, so their whole sentence is not saying what they want it to say because of their bad English, get me?

How come ppl cannot say the exact same words but in English? Then they are sure of what they said.
    Even if it's not perfect classical Arabic, the intention is there and you know in your heart what you're trying to achieve and Allah knows.