Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network

View Poll Results: Hijab + Make-up negates the whole point of Hijab - Yes or No?

Voters
196. You may not vote on this poll
  • Im a sister and i concur wholeheartedly with the aforementioned thesis

82 41.84%
  • Im a sister and I think your talking aload of cobblers mate

39 19.90%
  • Im a brother and i agree...lets be friends

55 28.06%
  • Im a brother and i disagree - no hard feelings

12 6.12%
  • Im a brother and i dont know what i think

8 4.08%
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Barayev
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Hijab + Make-up negates the whole point of Hijab? - This is not a make-up thread

Does a hijab with make-up negate the whole point of hijab? Do you wear make-up with hijab? what are the reasons for it?
    Bros, what would you do if your wife wore make-up with hijab? is it calling out for attention? can it be excused? is it normal?

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Hijab + Make-up negates the whole point of Hijab?

Quote Originally Posted by Basayev View Post
    Does a hijab with make-up negate the whole point of hijab? Do you wear make-up with hijab? what are the reasons for it?
    Bros, what would you do if your wife wore make-up with hijab? is it calling out for attention? can it be excused? is it normal?
    hijab or no hijab wmn cn put as much mkeup as they wnt but for their husbands only

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tic~Tac-Toe View Post
    hijab or no hijab wmn cn put as much mkeup as they wnt but for their husbands only
    i agree and for looking presentable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Make-up isn't necessarily used to get male attention, but looking as Elji said - "presentable". It's similar to when a group of men go out to dine together, they all suit up looking their best. Make-up is a female cultural accessory, as much as pruning one's hair in a certain style or using a hair straightener. Women find a great deal of their self-esteem and confidence in how they physically look, so its arguably more of a tool for themselves than for the attention of the opposite gender.

In regards to the actual question, it depends how much make-up she uses. But anything taking particular effort, then that is with intent of "exasperating" one's own beauty publicly; a contradiction of the values the Hijab stands for. So a key word I'd use is moderation in the application of make-up.
    If you read this closely enough you might spot the secret message hidden in it

Mr President, You Are Wrong

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Alot of it negates the purpose of hijab.. but when it is subtle and doesn't scream out "LOOK AT ME, I'M WEARING MAKE-UP" then perhaps it can be overlooked.. Personally I don't wear make-up cuz i wear hijab..if i didn't wear hijab, maybe i'd wear a bit of make up? It kinda does go hand in hand.
    May we reach daruSalaam by His, and only His Decree
    I would die for the cause if I knew only to what degree
    My Blog

Barayev
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Make-up isn't necessarily used to get male attention, but looking as Elji said - "presentable". It's similar to when a group of men go out to dine together, they all suit up looking their best. Make-up is a female cultural accessory, as much as pruning one's hair in a certain style or using a hair straightener. Women find a great deal of their self-esteem and confidence in how they physically look, so its arguably more of a tool for themselves than for the attention of the opposite gender.
    but cant that lead to wearing half-sleeves shirts or something since someone might feel they feel more confident in one and theyre not doing it for men etc.

its a slippery slope

Alot of it negates the purpose of hijab.. but when it is subtle and doesn't scream out "LOOK AT ME, I'M WEARING MAKE-UP" then perhaps it can be overlooked.. Personally I don't wear make-up cuz i wear hijab..if i didn't wear hijab, maybe i'd wear a bit of make up? It kinda does go hand in hand.
    makes sense

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

no make up out I know some people who say they look dead or sick if they don't wear it so they wear just enough to look decent. But most sisters I know tend to over do it

Peace
    3:103 And hold fast, all together, unto the bond with God, and do not draw apart from one another. And remember the blessings which God has bestowed upon you: how, when you were enemies, He brought your hearts together, so that through His blessing you became brethren; and [how, when] you were on the brink of a fiery abyss. He saved you from it. In this way God makes clear His messages unto you, so that you might find guidance.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Most guys don't have a clue about make-up and aren't qualified to make braod generalised statements on it.

I bet half of you wouldn't be able to recognise a woman wearing full make-up.. when I started a recent job I used to wear full make-up everyday, one day I couldn't be bothered, and a colleague said "are you ok, you don't look so well today?" ..I laughed and said it was probably the lack of make-up and she was like " You wear make-up?! I couldn't even tell "

(..and noooo.. that doesn't mean I do look ill without it .. it's just that you look different and people only notice the difference if you make the change ..generally I don't wear it everyday and no it doesn't result in comments about looking half dead, don't worry )

Anyway, you lot are clueless ..when you think make-up you think bright brash obvious colours that stand out a mile..

Make-up just evens out the complexion, covers any blemishes or spots, accentuates certain features.

Foundation, concealer, even mascara and lip stick[depends on shade] can be appled without anyone noticing it's on. The difference is very subtle.

Also it's not to attract men ..grow up.. the world doesn't revolve around you blobs!

It's to look more presentable, neater, it gives a cleaner look, and it's just nice ..and it's fun

Reducing the dark areas around the eyes [they're not always from lack of sleep or whatever], and for example applying white eye liner on the inner bit of the eye, is a good trick to make you look for alert and awake

Covering up blemishes just makes you look neater and tidier.

Applying stuff to lips can help moisturise your skin and just make them feel nicer

And applying kohl is sunnah anyway.

I dunno why you lot think decorating the body is against hijaab, there are scholarly opinions saying kohl is fine for women even going outdoors.. also women decorate their hands with henna and hands and also shown even when wearing hijaab.. so this is all adornment.. and we're told to cover adornments apart from those which are apparent.. [those on your hands or face then obviously].

Woman also pierce their nose and so on, even that is adornment and decoration.

Obviously the condition as always is that it's not excessive so that it attracts you undue attention and makes you stand out. It should be standard, ordinary type of adornment.

Some quotes:

2. Makeup:
    It's important to inculcate a sense of beauty in our daughters that is not predicated on how physically appealing we look. A Muslim woman is naturally beautiful because her iman shines through and gives her a unique radiance.
    Makeup does not make a woman beautiful. While it can be used to enhance a woman's features, it is not appropriate for a woman to wear heavy makeup in public. I emphasize the word heavy because there are some types of adornment which are permitted by the sunna, such as kohl and henna. What the Qur'an and Sunna explicitly prohibit is a woman's making a display of herself. There is a difference between modest, tasteful elegance and showy adornment. As a mother, it is up to you to show your daughter this distinction.
    3. Jewelry:
    Jewelry is really in another category. Depending on what type it is and what quantity your daughter wears, how much is this an issue? Perhaps a compromise can be reached here. What your daughter should avoid is any type of jewelry which draws attention, like ankle bracelets, for example. But if she is talking about wearing a ring and a wrist bracelet, for example, then this is permissible.

sunnipath

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...&ID=68&CATE=90
    http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...D=4871&CATE=97

You can see that many adornments are allowed and the common adornments for the face and so on in those days were even used, but there is strong caution regarding bright and dazzling colours and making a display and attracting undue attention.. if you look like you blatantly have it caked on then obviously that is not very tasteful and doesn't go well with hijab.

If it's subtle and light then I don't see what's wrong with it.

~ Lipgloss Mafia
    My Lord, my trust in all Your purposes is strong, That trust is now my shield; I'm safe, and undeceived.- Ali bin Husayn al-Habshi

Real forsaking is forgetting the thing forsaken.- Shaykh al-Shadhili

Live as long as you wish, you shall die. Love whatever you wish, you shall be separated from it. Do whatever you wish, you shall be rewarded for it. - Jibreel (as)

ياَ أَبَا اَلزَّهْرَاء وَلَّذِي صَانَكْ- لاَتُخَيِّبْنَا يَا سِيْدِي نَحْنُ ضِيْفَانَكْ
    O father of Zahra, for the sake of the One who protected you,
    Please do not leave us disappointed, O master, we are your guests. - Shaykh Ahmad al-Alawi (rh)

أَنتَ رَبّي وَ عِلْمُكَ حَسْبِيْ. فَنِعْمَ الرَّبُّ رَبِّي وَ نِعْمَ الحَسْبُ حَسْبِيْ.ـ حِزْبُ البَحْر

Barayev
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

make-up is fun? thats a new one

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

CW it sounds like too much hard work woman! how can you be bothered everyday?! I'd dieeeeee! Eyeliner rules and anything else... i have to be in the mood to be bothered!
    *~* Learn Patience from Aasiyah (RA); Loyalty from Khadhija (RA); Sincerity from Aisha (RA) and Steadfastness from Fatima (RA).*~*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chained_Water View Post
    if you look like you blatantly have it caked on then obviously that is not very tasteful and doesn't go well with hijab.

If it's subtle and light then I don't see what's wrong with it.

~ Lipgloss Mafia

that is the only make-up men know, and I think that is what the bro is referring to.

Peace
    3:103 And hold fast, all together, unto the bond with God, and do not draw apart from one another. And remember the blessings which God has bestowed upon you: how, when you were enemies, He brought your hearts together, so that through His blessing you became brethren; and [how, when] you were on the brink of a fiery abyss. He saved you from it. In this way God makes clear His messages unto you, so that you might find guidance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

are you kidding!!!! it's a lot of fun!! just don't wear it out

Peace

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zesty View Post
    CW it sounds like too much hard work woman! how can you be bothered everyday?! I'd dieeeeee! Eyeliner rules and anything else... i have to be in the mood to be bothered!
    Yeh you have to be in the mood.. I'm not anymore for daily use.. I can mostly be too lazy for it.. but I think it's good for when you're working, 'cuz it kinda sets you up for the day, you look smarter, more alert, in charge.. so you feel it and can go and show the kids who's boss

It's kinda like how having a tidy bedroom makes it easier to do your homework

Don't get me wrong.. most days it's: wash face, moisturise, pin on scarf.. ..but if I could be bothered to put in the effort, I wouldn't think it was wrong.
    My Lord, my trust in all Your purposes is strong, That trust is now my shield; I'm safe, and undeceived.- Ali bin Husayn al-Habshi

Live as long as you wish, you shall die. Love whatever you wish, you shall be separated from it. Do whatever you wish, you shall be rewarded for it. - Jibreel (as)

ياَ أَبَا اَلزَّهْرَاء وَلَّذِي صَانَكْ- لاَتُخَيِّبْنَا يَا سِيْدِي نَحْنُ ضِيْفَانَكْ
    Please do not leave us disappointed, O master, we are your guests. - Shaykh Ahmad al-Alawi (rh)

أَنتَ رَبّي وَ عِلْمُكَ حَسْبِيْ. فَنِعْمَ الرَّبُّ رَبِّي وَ نِعْمَ الحَسْبُ حَسْبِيْ.ـ حِزْبُ البَحْر

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

It is fun.. man you are clueless.. you've obviously never been to a girly sleepover either

Barayev
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by peace2u View Post
    are you kidding!!!! it's a lot of fun!! just don't wear it out

Peace

dolling yourself up for no reason - dont girls ever grow up

and if you think make-up is fun, you should get a proper hobby - try football

Barayev
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

It is fun.. man you are clueless.. you've obviously never been to a girly sleepover either
    they wouldnt let me in

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I wear Hijab and the only make-up i wear would be eyeliner and mascara the reason i wear it is i like my eyes to be dark black.....not alot of people notice when i dont wear eyeliner/ mascara so independs on type of make-up...some sisters wear too much make-up as if they getting married plus everyday make-up foundation/eyeshadow/blush aint good for your face.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

ergh..I can't be bothered with all that blush, mascara, eye shadow stuff

I seriously don't see the fun in it..its a damn chore

(unless ur dressing up for a weddin or sumthin. In that case, by all means knock yourself out)
    For every day purposes..
    May we reach daruSalaam by His, and only His Decree
    I would die for the cause if I knew only to what degree
    My Blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

they wouldnt let me in

you were probably wearing too much make-up

Peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

they wouldnt let me in

And if I must answer the question lol erm...depends on intentions. If its subtle stuff just to stop yourself looking completely ugly then its cool...if its blatantly to grab attention then

-Rashid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My girly sleepovers never included makeup. Sugar, caffine, movies: all in copious amounts.. never makeup.

I'm such a tom-boy

Though since becoming an 'adult' *cough* I've found myself wearing it from time to time. Mostly kohl and sometimes lipstick.
    I like to quote myself
    - nomoreillusions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

salams

it is forbidden for a woman to show her adorments to any men except those who she cannot marry
    if it is a little bit or alot
    its harram
    the whole purpose of hijab is to cover your shame and keep yourself for your husband not to cover something and flaunt something else
    these days women wear the hijab and even niqaab and you can see the shape of their bodies they wear make up and perfume
    aoothubillah what is left for her husband to enjoy of her that every other man hasnt
    a man has to have jelousy over 3 things his land his women and his deen
    letting men look at your wife
    wer is your jelousy?????
    wassalams

Over it.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Adornments do negate the point of the Hijaab, in my opinion. Although, that being said...things such as concealers for example can be used to cover severe blemishes or acne for example. Lipstick, mascara, kohl, blush etc, etc, yada, yada are definite no no's. Whether or not they're subtle, you're doing it for a reason- that is to adorn yourselves; where non-mahrams will see it. Concealers and its like, only intended (and used) to cover up scars and the like, I feel are ok.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Icon11 Erm..

dolling yourself up for no reason - dont girls ever grow up
    I've never found any of that fun and I don't get it either!

Alhumdulillah, I have never worn make up () in my life and have always been a bit
    “The real prisoner is someone whose heart is imprisoned from his Lord; the true captive is someone captured by his passions.” (Ibn Taymiyyah)
    www.cage.ngo
    www.hhugs.org.uk

In Search of Truth....... Abandoned-Mind's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Erm..

Quote Originally Posted by Nazias View Post
    I've never found any of that fun and I don't get it either!

Alhumdulillah, I have never worn make up () in my life and have always been a bit
    You have a beard?
    "If you speak, then consider your words, articulate your speech and make clear what you intend; do not allow them to carry a number of meanings, and do not use words that may be misunderstood, or words that are ambiguous and will need further explanations and clarifications, for your opponent will not remember your explanation, and if his heart is diseased he will release your words and direct them where he pleases."

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

but cant that lead to wearing half-sleeves shirts or something since someone might feel they feel more confident in one and theyre not doing it for men etc.

its a slippery slope

makes sense
    half sleeve shirts is not makeup

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

::eek:: My secret's out!

Quote Originally Posted by Abandoned-Mind View Post
    You have a beard?
    How did you guess?
    “The real prisoner is someone whose heart is imprisoned from his Lord; the true captive is someone captured by his passions.” (Ibn Taymiyyah)
    www.cage.ngo
    www.hhugs.org.uk

In Search of Truth....... Abandoned-Mind's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: My secret's out!

Quote Originally Posted by Nazias View Post
    How did you guess?
    You said you have always been a bit 'Insert hairy guy with shades'.
    "If you speak, then consider your words, articulate your speech and make clear what you intend; do not allow them to carry a number of meanings, and do not use words that may be misunderstood, or words that are ambiguous and will need further explanations and clarifications, for your opponent will not remember your explanation, and if his heart is diseased he will release your words and direct them where he pleases."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

::eek:: I gave it away!

Quote Originally Posted by Abandoned-Mind View Post
    You said you have always been a bit 'Insert hairy guy with shades'.
    anyway this is off topic
    www.cage.ngo
    www.hhugs.org.uk

dream of being more... ibn suleman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

one thing ive learnt so far is people's definiton of make-up varies...

and if this is what u mean by make-up..then yes definitely
    Attached Images Attached Images
    i will bear any ordeal, but i will not beg

Watch the game, Learn the game, Control the game.

Account Disabled
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

not everyone wears make-up to attract the attention of men, make-up helps a women feel confident. but its all down to a person's intentions and only Allah is fully aware of those intentions.

I probably did wear make-up with hijaab in the past, out of self-consciousness.

lol, back in the day I used to wear a lot of eye make-up, and if one day I didnt wear make-up people would say I looked different and Ill. now they got used to me wearing no make up at all, if i wear make-up on special occasions people think i look better without make-up and that make-up doesn't suit me.

you might know you look better without make-up and you know don't need it, but sometimes you feel better about yourself if you wear it.

it's just a case of people getting used to how you look, and sooner or later they do, and you getting used to having the confidence to feel comfortable with people seeing you as your natural self.

sometimes i wonder about brides who are plastered in make-up on their wedding day and everyone sees them properly for the first time looking all gorgeous...and then the next day she is back to normal..i wonder what people's reactions are
    Last edited by Umm 'Umarah; 22-08-07 at 10:42 AM.

Wallaahu khayrul Makireen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Imagine the look on the husbands face the morning after the night before after the wedding, guy might be in for a shock, i'm sure it wasn't you who i did my nikah with.
    “Take Aqeedah from the Salaf, learn Adab from the Tableeghi Jamaat, and brotherhood from the Ikhwaan"

Account Disabled
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

at the end of the day, make-up is displaying tabbaruj, and we don't want to display and enhance our beauty to strange men, if we want to be modest, we should refrain from wearing make-up in front on non-Mahrams even if we only wear it for whatever personal reasons.

Account Disabled
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by One_Ummah View Post
    Imagine the look on the husbands face the morning after the night before after the wedding, guy might be in for a shock, i'm sure it wasn't you who i did my nikah with.
    The bride might be saying the same thing about him when she sees his ugly mutt in the morning, so I think guys should worry all the same.

Wallaahu khayrul Makireen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Umm 'Umarah View Post
    The bride might be saying the same thing about him when she sees his ugly mutt in the morning, so I think guys should worry all the same.
    Difference is, with guys, what you see is what you get, not someone who looks completely different in the morning.
    “Take Aqeedah from the Salaf, learn Adab from the Tableeghi Jamaat, and brotherhood from the Ikhwaan"

Account Disabled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Umm 'Umarah View Post
    i knw hw sad, ladies cn cover themselves wiv a veil if they ugly, wht do we men hve

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tic~Tac-Toe View Post
    i knw hw sad, ladies cn cover themselves wiv a veil if they ugly, wht do we men hve
    .....big beards masha Allah
    "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

What do people think nose studs/rings, bracelets, rings, henna, kohl are if they aren't adornments?! And they are blatantly not forbidden.

Amateur fatwas don't really mean much.

Account Disabled
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by `asiya View Post
    .....big beards masha Allah
    masha'Allah yeah and thawbs and some wear topi's and shemagh's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullah

Bros, what would you do if your wife wore make-up with hijab?
    remind her of the purpose of the hijaab, its for veiling not flashing lol

is it calling out for attention?
    thats the thing, some sisters might just be really insecure or something and want other sisters to think their pretty or something, but even then such sisters should be reminded that the veil is to guard your modesty, wearing make up will make men look at you... you dont want that

can it be excused?
    inshaAllah if she repents afterwards (ye i consider it to be kinda sinful .... i mean wats the purpose of wearing make up in public?... think about it

is it normal?
    lol, not really...
    Please Re-update your Signature

^ but i dont want to!