Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Fard 'ain and Fard kifayah - what does it mean?

Assalam alaykum, brozensissez,

I was reading another post when I came accross a phrase: "Jihad is Fard 'ain, now, not Fard kifayah, as some scholars are suggesting.", or words to that effect.

So, since I am not clear about what these terms mean, can I have your opinions (with proofs, where you have access to them, please )? And don't feel you have to restrict it to the issue of Jihad.

This may also be of interest to non-Muslims.

Jamila
    Please Re-update your Signature

In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful

As-salamu'alaikum wa rahmatullahe wa barakahtahu

Respected Sister In Islam

Fardh Kifaya - It is the Fard, that if performed by some (a sufficient number), the obligation falls from the rest

Example: A group of Muslim brothers meet another group on the way to the masjid. It is their duty to convey the 'Salaam' to the other, and so if "one" brother amongst them was to convey the 'Salaam' then insha'allah ta'ala the rest will be relieved of this duty.

Fardh 'Ayn -It is the Fard that is a compulsory duty on every single Muslim to perform, [just] like praying and fasting.

Allah the Almighty, and Majestic says:

And fight them until there is no more Fitnah (disbelief and polytheism:i.e. worshipping others beside Allah) and the religion (worship) will all be for Allah alone (in the whole world)...
    (Surat al Anfal : Verse 39)

The Fitnah referred to in this ayah means Shirk as Ibn 'Abbas (radiallaahu 'anhu) and Siddi said:

When the Kufaar attack and control a [Muslim] country, the Ummah is endangered in its Religion, and it becomes susceptible to doubt in its belief. Fighting [the Kufaar] then becomes an obligation, to protect the Religion, the lives, the land and wealth.

Elaborated at the link following, from the Book "Defence of the Muslim Lands" By Shaheed Dr. Abdullah Yusuf Azzam (rahimahullah)

http://jihaadulkuffaarin.jeeran.com/File232.htm

And Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Wasalamu'alaikum Wa rahmatullahe Wa barakahtahu

as salaam alai kum

Err...i remember answering this post somewhere else (islami issues????). Request the moderator to kindly shift it.

what is it??

As salamu Alaykum,

i dont understand the meaning of fard-ul-ayn and fard-ul-kifaya.... what does this mean??

wa alaykum salam,

nadera,

P.S. i'm new on this site, and i'm really enjoying reading ur posts!

Quote Originally Posted by umar al-khattab
    In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful

As-salamu'alaikum wa rahmatullahe wa barakahtahu

Respected Sister In Islam

Fardh Kifaya - It is the Fard, that if performed by some (a sufficient number), the obligation falls from the rest

Example: A group of Muslim brothers meet another group on the way to the masjid. It is their duty to convey the 'Salaam' to the other, and so if "one" brother amongst them was to convey the 'Salaam' then insha'allah ta'ala the rest will be relieved of this duty.

Fardh 'Ayn -It is the Fard that is a compulsory duty on every single Muslim to perform, [just] like praying and fasting.

Allah the Almighty, and Majestic says:

And fight them until there is no more Fitnah (disbelief and polytheism:i.e. worshipping others beside Allah) and the religion (worship) will all be for Allah alone (in the whole world)...
    (Surat al Anfal : Verse 39)

The Fitnah referred to in this ayah means Shirk as Ibn 'Abbas (radiallaahu 'anhu) and Siddi said:

When the Kufaar attack and control a [Muslim] country, the Ummah is endangered in its Religion, and it becomes susceptible to doubt in its belief. Fighting [the Kufaar] then becomes an obligation, to protect the Religion, the lives, the land and wealth.

Elaborated at the link following, from the Book "Defence of the Muslim Lands" By Shaheed Dr. Abdullah Yusuf Azzam (rahimahullah)

http://jihaadulkuffaarin.jeeran.com/File232.htm

And Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Wasalamu'alaikum Wa rahmatullahe Wa barakahtahu
    3:103 And hold fast, all together, unto the bond with God, and do not draw apart from one another. And remember the blessings which God has bestowed upon you: how, when you were enemies, He brought your hearts together, so that through His blessing you became brethren; and [how, when] you were on the brink of a fiery abyss. He saved you from it. In this way God makes clear His messages unto you, so that you might find guidance.