Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Tell us your story :)

I'm sure there are many people who will be allowed to look into this section, some looking into Islam, many ready to talk Shahada someday inshallah, and before I reverted I always wondered what happens during the Shahada, so to help them feel less worried I'm sure that many of us can write our stories to what happened on the day when you took yours, how did you feel etc

I'll copy and paste mine from the members section in a moment (when I find it hehe) inshallah
    A small Du'a can make a big difference
    Make Dua for your brothers and sisters, wouldn't you want good things to happen to them as much as good things happening to you?

http://onlybeautyinislam.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Re: Tell us your story :)

Part 4.

For me, as a former agnostic, one of the worst aspects of living in a (nominally) Christian society is that it taints your outlook upon religion, in general. Once you realise that the religion which surrounds you is completely flawed and full of holes, it’s easy to assume that all religions are similar. That was certainly the case for me.

The Christian representation of God as an old man sitting upon a cloud, watching over his flock, ran contrary to my own understanding of God. I had thought long and hard about the nature of God and came to the conclusion that we, as humans of limited understanding, could never even begin to understand or comprehend the full complexity of our Creator. To limit Gods role to a wise old man sitting on a cloud, was really missing the point. It seemed to be little more than a hopeless attempt to help humans feel some kind of attachment to their creator, yet it only served to reduce His majesty and His oneness. To me, there was nothing “like” God, and that was the whole point. In my humble early understanding of His nature, He was far beyond the understanding of humans and, instead of trying to ‘reduce’ God, in order to make him more appealing to his creation, it is the very majesty and oneness that should be celebrated.

My admittedly fairly basic understanding of Christianity presented huge obstacles to any further exploration of this religion. Concepts such as the trinity and ‘Jesus died for our sins’ were utterly baffling. Many Christians I talked to had little understanding of the trinity itself and certainly could not offer a satisfactory explanation. While I appreciate that many learned Christians can better explain these concepts, it seemed to me that the basic, core concepts of a religion should be more easily understandable. You shouldn’t need to engage in deep theological enquiry to simply understand the fundaments of a religion.

In the years after cleaning up my act, I spent most my time outside the UK, in Europe and Latin America. In Latin America, particularly, I continued to be drawn to ideas of religion. Yet, the lavish places of worship offered a stark contrast to the abject poverty of most the worshippers found within. Much of the left-wing literature I read in my youth offered an explanation of religion as a man-made instrument of power and societal control. I saw little in Christianity to change that view.

In a small town in southern Mexico, I happened to stumble upon a festival celebrated by the local indigenous tribes. Much of the activity seemed to be centred round the local church; the most lavish building in town, naturally. Inside the church, group after group of extremely intoxicated people would enter, sit down, take a huge drink of coke/pepsi and...get ready....belch, as loudly and ceremoniously, as possible. The church attendants happily stood by and watched. I found out later that this was a tribal custom relating to an indigenous religious belief that belching freed their souls of evil spirits. Many churches were perfectly happy to allow the indigenous Indians to mix their original beliefs with whatever they liked of Christianity. As long as the money kept rolling in, religions ideals could be bought and sold, it seemed. That pretty much summed up my experience of Christianity.

I continued to travel, finding it hard to put down ‘roots’ anywhere, as I still felt this strange detachment from the world. Nowhere felt like home, and home was nowhere. After becoming a father, I returned to the UK to be near my family. At this point in my life, I had completely lost interest in religion and found religious people to be intensely hypocritical. I had accepted that, for me, knowledge of the existence of God was enough and the life he had given me was to be spent in a state of spiritual nonfulfilment.

And then, September 11th happened.....

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Noooo- noo cliff hangers!! zesty no like!you are dhakkiya have a knack for doing this probably feels intensified cos youre both engaging in the way you write! next part pleasee
    *~* Learn Patience from Aasiyah (RA); Loyalty from Khadhija (RA); Sincerity from Aisha (RA) and Steadfastness from Fatima (RA).*~*

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zesty View Post
    Noooo- noo cliff hangers!! zesty no like!you are dhakkiya have a knack for doing this probably feels intensified cos youre both engaging in the way you write! next part pleasee
    I like to keep my audience on the edge of their seats. *cheeky grin*

I'll try and get the next part up soon insha'Allah.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Farooq View Post
    I like to keep my audience on the edge of their seats. *cheeky grin*

I'll try and get the next part up soon insha'Allah.
    lol- what an attention seeker!
    INshaAllah please do.
    *~* Learn Patience from Aasiyah (RA); Loyalty from Khadhija (RA); Sincerity from Aisha (RA) and Steadfastness from Fatima (RA).*~*

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

it's also because it's not easy to write stuff like this..... it's real life experience, you have to dredge it from your memory, then figure out how to write it, plus it's all emotive stuff, so it's quite draining and you can only write so much in one go....

...that and the fact that it would make for one very, very, very long post if you did manage to write it all in one go............ I think the forum would have crashed if I'd crammed my reversion story into just one post lol....

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

lol! sorry sis, didnt mean to take away the sentimental attachments/difficulties in writing your guys reversion stories but youre right im sure its not something you can always cram into one post

I still remember Al Farooqs (or should i say SLAPDASH) first ever post on this forum

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I still remember Al Farooqs (or should i say SLAPDASH) first ever post on this forum
    *cringes with embarrassment, like his Mum was showing photos of him as a baby*

So do I...it was about jihad from the perspective of a non-Muslim....which, strangely enough, has a lot to do with the next part of my story!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Farooq View Post
    *cringes with embarrassment, like his Mum was showing photos of him as a baby*

So do I...it was about jihad from the perspective of a non-Muslim....which, strangely enough, has a lot to do with the next part of my story!
    why do parents take nekid pics of their babies :eek3:

oohh was that your first post? lol obviously i got it wrong then- i thought it was about you asking about implementing sunnah or something. As in do you have to do all the sunnahs or not and something about doing it according to your strengths. You hadnt taken shahadah yet- you were just on the verge of it

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Check rep.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

why do parents take nekid pics of their babies :eek3:
    1. because they're cyoooooooooooooooot
    2. to show their spouse after they get married

why else?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Brother Al Farooq you keep us waiting too long in between parts .

Wallah I love reading these reversion stories, for sharing them everyone .
    ربنا واجعلنا مسلمين لك ومن ذريتنا أمة مسلمة لك وأرنا مناسكنا وتب علينا إنك أنت التواب الرحيم

Our Lord, make us Muslims submitted to You, and our descendants a Muslim community submitted to You. Show us our rites of worship and turn towards us. You are the Ever-Returning, the Most Merciful. [2: 128]

http://livingthemuslimlife.wordpress.com/

الله مولانا ولا مولى لهم Abu Jaffar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

Well I know this is not directly connected to me, but here goes.

My grandfather's (My grandmother's father) reversion story.

My father is half Arab descent and half Coptic, he gets the Coptic side from his mother's side. He was in the vegetable business, from a city called al-Zaqaziq, Gayed Bishay was his name. At this time, knowledge wasn't spread the way we see these days, however Christians who would revert to Islam would do it for reasons of good treatment, conduct of some Muslims and what they know of little truth available to them. He managed to figure that Christianity held a lot of contradictory aspects, as he was a church man also, he embraced the truth and submitted to Islam, and named His self 'Mohammad Amin'. He was the only one who embraced Islam from among his family, his children and wife didn't either. After his reversion he fled with his wife and children to Suez, a little city on the Suez canal, as some say that the Christians tried to kill him.
    My grandfather (My father's father) was told once that "Mohammad Amin had daughters, why don't you marry one ofthem, so he did", and he married my grandmother who reverted after that to Islam.

The story doesn't carry a lot of details as time passed and less people remember such details, but i wanted to share it as I still feel proud of my grandfather 'Mohammad Amin'.

My father tells me he used to give him a bath when he got older which made him spend sometime with him as a kid, he says "Mohammad Amin Your grandfather was a religious man, people used to call him Shaikh Mohammad", although a handful of people practiced Islam at this time.

May Allah accept his deeds.
    islamway
    اللهم ارزقنا حُسن الخاتِمة

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

you say this isn't connected to you, but was he your great-grandfather, or is it an account someone else wrote and you wanted to share (sorry bro, you didn't make that clear) - mashaAllah at the reversion story though!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Yeah, he's my great grandfather, I said it not directly connected to me as it his story not mine, as refering to the thread "tell us your story". Maybe I worded it the wrong way.
    islamway

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

mashaAllah bro .... not your story but still your family mashaAllah

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

جزاكم الله خيرا
    islamway

umm Ayman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Masha'Allah Insha'Allah you'll find someone with more details is sounds very intresting.

I had some training yesterday by a brother who looks full asian but subana'Allah his great grandmother converted to Islam in the 1920's. I wonder what it was like for the reverts then...
    And to Allah belong the soldiers of the heavens and the earth, and ever is Allah Knowing and Wise. [And] that He may admit the believing men and the believing women to gardens beneath which rivers flow to abide therein eternally and remove from them their misdeeds - and ever is that, in the sight of Allah , a great attainment.

Surah Fatĥ 4/5

umm Ayman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Asalam Alikum warhamtullahi wabarakthuhu,

From a very young age it was apparent that I was very different to my family. From the age of 5 I remember being in the playground at school and doing something "naughty" and looking up at the sky and remembering that God can see me. My Father re-called to me a year ago that when I was 2 he was putting me to sleep and I asked him. "Who do we pray to God, or Jesus?"
    Him and my Mother were 18/19 when they had me so they were very young my question was odd to them as my Mother was not a Christian nor my father. He told me to ask my Mum. My Grandad got involved and told me lies about prohpet Isa. As he is Jewish. (I do not remember any of that)

Small things would happen at family gatherings that would make me think why am I so different to my family. They would make racist comments about asian/black people. I remeber once they made a joke and I got very upest and left the family and went to my room. I could hear everyone talking about me and my Mother defending me saying that I am sensative and they should not speak like that infront of me. I remeMber that day like yesrday. I was about 10. I sat in my room thinking about "God" and life and it's purpose.

I started seconday school aged 11 and became bestfriends with a Somali girl. We did everything together. So when Ramadhan came she began to wear her Hijab (which she kept on from that day Alhumdulilah) she would not eat lunch with me. I became a bit upset she kept dissapearing to pray. I was on her case would ask a million questions. Oneday I went to her house and she had told her mother about my intrest etc... so they handed me some very simple dawah books. Which I cherished I would read them again and again. Taken extra care not to put my hand on the arabic writting in them (not sure why I did that.)

I believed In the tawheed of Islam. I began refering to "God" as Allah. Although I never actually took my shahadah.

A few years passed and the passing of my Grandmother who we lived with for many years tore us apart as a family. I remeber becoming very aware of Allah as this time like a faith in God I never had before my sister at this point use to go to "confession" and started dealing with magic. Speaking to her made me realise more that Islam was the truth.

A year or so passed and something truely awful happened in my life. Which was by a Muslim. My whole belief system crashed. I was a wreck. I could not believe there was Muslims like that and a year long court case began which really ruined my teenage years. The most unvelieveable thing for me was that Islam must not be true because of the actions of this person. I remeber on the day the verdict was to given I looked up to the sky and said "If this person is found guilty there is a God if he is found not guilty how can there be a God?" (Audo billah)

I sat in the court room with my mother shaking like a leaf and a man who in appreance looked like a muslim was crying he was part of the jury he could not make eye contact with me. He stood and said he found the defendant not guilty!

I was shatterd! In complete shock and horror that this belief system I had had for so many years has vanished.

A year later me ad my Mother went on holiday to Turkey. we went on a trip to the mountains and came across a sound that echoed through the whole of the mountain. It was truely a beautiful sound which made my eyes well-up with tears. I asked the guide what that was he told me it was the adhan. So I asked if he could take me there and can I go in (he said no!) A few days later I went to the market by myself I saw this old lady dressed dead to toe in black. I starred at her for what seemed ages. I just had a feeling of how I dressed was not the correct way. So I went back to the hotel and put longer garments on.

My heart was starting to change again, I was at a friends house when I was there she put on Islam channel. I heard the adhan again. I told her I heard that in Turkey she began just to talk to me more about Islam. I burst into tears and said I want to become Muslim. I was scared that Allah would take the opportunity away. She showed me show to pray that day about a week or so later I went to the mosque and took my shahadah infront of roughly 200 sisters offically. That day wa sthe best day of my life.

The day I was going to take my shahadah I left a very long letter for my Mother to explain what I am doing and why I am doing it. She tabarka'Allah has been a pock for me. She called me asked if I had done it and congratulated me when I told her I was offically a muslim she came home that night and gave me hijabs and halal meat lol! May Allah guide her Ameen
    And to Allah belong the soldiers of the heavens and the earth, and ever is Allah Knowing and Wise. [And] that He may admit the believing men and the believing women to gardens beneath which rivers flow to abide therein eternally and remove from them their misdeeds - and ever is that, in the sight of Allah , a great attainment.

Surah Fatĥ 4/5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Jaffar View Post
    May Allah accept his deeds.

aameen. masha'Allah, JazakAllahu khayr for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by sum5 View Post
    May Allah guide her Ameen

ameen.

masha'Allah, may Allah swt keep you firm on the deen always and May He swt guide your mother and make her from amongst the righteous aameen.

"How often we cry over Fate, but abundant good lies just behind it. O soul, it is goodness, even if it arrives after a while."

Foulana blog

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

subhanAllah Allahu Hu Akbar! It always always amazes me how when Allah chooses a person for his deen, there is just absolutely no escape from it! time and time again, things will happen, situations will arise that bring that person around to Islam because its been embedded deeply in their heart from Allah
    Allah Ta'ala keep us steadfast. Ameen.
    Your story really raises an important point though sum- in that, we as muslims should be so so mindful of ANY action we take because it can have affects on those who are not yet muslims and those who may be looking into Islam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't have much of a story. I just remember always being confused, having mental and behavioural issues, and just not having an understanding of the world on the same level of my peers, rather it was on a much lower, basic and more animalistic level. All my life I have lived more as an animal than as a human. As a very small child I even used to mimic animals and not only pretend to be one, but actually be and live as one. I felt more secure that way. I felt more in-touch with nature, the kind of existence I yearned for but could never have.

Growing up I could never find my place. Again, my understanding of the world, society, intuition, behaviour, were all on such a lower level than my similarly aged peers. I was quite socially backwards, again, I had mental health issues that have never gone away to this very day such as lack of foresight, indifference to the lives of others (but not lack of empathy, I'm not a psychopath), strange obsessions, and a constant, lingering feeling I couldn't shake off: That something very, very important in my life had always been missing. VERY important. It was such a feeling that I went mad trying to cope with it, thinking I'd never find it or that whatever it was was so good that it either didn't exist or I didn't deserve it and tried to kill myself. Alahmdulilah that my knowledge of human anatomy back then was insufficient to complete the task! I had another chance to re-think my life.

All the while it didn't occur to me that what I was yearning for was anything religious or spiritual, because I didn't believe in the spiritual. So I kept going. Then my dearest and kindest friend, the only human being who could really understand me on my level (my parents were too insensitive and authoritarian to really understand what I was going through, even taking me to a psychiatrist to make them "fix" me in their own words like I was some broken machine!) told me they were muslim. I didn't realise that this would have to bring us apart eventually, since it's not right for males and females to mix. But he was still learning as his parents had been too lenient on him to practice and now he wanted to take it more seriously, and he taught me along the way.

I had to fight against myself to believe. But after a while I couldn't deny. It was as simple as that. You know how I said that I always felt something was missing? Something about my life was terribly wrong? Well the teachings if Islam complemented my own feelings perfectly. It was like everything I had ever felt, all the pain and confusion, there was an answer to it in Islam, and answer that, for once, i couldn't argue with, it just made sense. It was like a massive load had been taken off my shoulders.

That's not to say it has been an easy ride since, far from it. But I at least feel I know what I'm doing now and that my life actually has some meaning and worth.

umm Ayman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

subhanAllah Allahu Hu Akbar! It always always amazes me how when Allah chooses a person for his deen, there is just absolutely no escape from it! time and time again, things will happen, situations will arise that bring that person around to Islam because its been embedded deeply in their heart from Allah
    Allah Ta'ala keep us steadfast. Ameen.
    Your story really raises an important point though sum- in that, we as muslims should be so so mindful of ANY action we take because it can have affects on those who are not yet muslims and those who may be looking into Islam.
    Ameen Jazaka'Allah khier sis.

Surah Fatĥ 4/5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Abu Jaffar, Sum and Beechlgz:

for sharing, more beautiful examples. May Allah keep you all steadfast on His deen, aameen.

Quote Originally Posted by Foulana View Post

May He swt guide your mother and make her from amongst the righteous aameen.
    Aameen, thumma aameen .
    ربنا واجعلنا مسلمين لك ومن ذريتنا أمة مسلمة لك وأرنا مناسكنا وتب علينا إنك أنت التواب الرحيم

Our Lord, make us Muslims submitted to You, and our descendants a Muslim community submitted to You. Show us our rites of worship and turn towards us. You are the Ever-Returning, the Most Merciful. [2: 128]

الإسلام هو الحياة sis_on_sunnah's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

Edit
    Last edited by sis_on_sunnah; 21-06-12 at 12:57 PM.
    http://www.deenulhuq.wordpress.com

Don't depend on anyone too much in this world because even your own shadow leaves you when you are in darkness ~ibn taymiyyah

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sis_on_sunnah View Post
    and ive typed so much with many errors, and im really sorry if i offended anyone with the mention about the drugs...its a part of my story, too long to type the wholleee thinggg
    Don't feel ashamed about typing it, it's part of your story. Each of us has our story, and many of us have come from all kinds of sin and kufr to Islam so everyone say ALHAMDULILLAH!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eternal journey View Post
    Abu Jaffar, Sum and Beechlgz:

for sharing, more beautiful examples. May Allah keep you all steadfast on His deen, aameen.
    and sis-on-sunnah

Ameeeeeen!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

@ sis on sunnah: walaykum assalaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

for sharing habibty. May Allah s.w.t grant your grandfather, your earliest connection with Islam, jannah. Aameen.
    And may He fulfil that dream of yours if there is khayr in it for you and make it a means of your becoming of the saliheen, aameen.

Quote Originally Posted by dhakiyya View Post
    and sis-on-sunnah
    Ameeeeeen!
    thumma aameen .

On A Hired Plane of Logic LailaTheMuslim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2672 Post(s)

my gosh masha'allah haven't been here in a while.Wish I was a revert...
    وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

شهيد إن شاء الله
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LailaTheMuslim View Post
    my gosh masha'allah haven't been here in a while.Wish I was a revert...
    be carefull for what you wish for.
    And the (faithful) slaves of the Most Gracious (Allâh) are those who walk on the earth in humility and sedateness, and when the foolish address them (with bad words) they reply back with mild words of gentleness. (25:63)

O You who believe! Shall I guide you to a trade that will save you from a painful torment? (10) That you believe in Allâh and His Messenger (Muhammad SAW),and that you strive hard and fight in the Cause of Allâh with your wealth and your lives, that will be better for you, if you but know! (11) (If you do so) He will forgive you your sins, and admit you into Gardens under which rivers flow, and pleasant dwellings in Adn (Edn) Paradise; that is indeed the great success. (12)

JazakAllah khair for the duas but i would prefer duas for shahadah instead.

sponsor an orphan

Odan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Nothing more,Nothing less

I like to call this "my story" and I like to keep it simple; I don't have an amazing reversion story thus I don't have much to say when people ask me about it. I like to say that "it just happened", how amazingly can this "happening" be; it is a result of "coincidences", definitely, a smooth way to Islam .

What began as a simple intellectual curiosity, has matured into a certainty of universal and eternal truth of Islam. The idea of Islam overcame me as the only possible alternative. I started step by step, in spite of myself and my prejudices, and almost unconsciously, to feel and think that I became Muslim. I was pleased that I was not alone, but I was located, unknowingly, in a great tradition. And this without denying anything. I just let aside what had always annoyed me. We do not convert to Islam, one embraces a religion that encompasses all the others … It was therefore not a conversion, but a reversion to the religion of all prophets. I think I was a Muslim without knowing it, sometimes you’re born like that. Allah gave us free will and destiny from birth. And it is this destiny that led me to Islam. God chose me, so I make part of those who submit to Him. At 22 years, I testified that there was no god but Allah and Muhammad (Peace be upon Him) is His messenger. In Islam, everything was clear, rational. Islam seems like a masterpiece of architecture. All its parts are harmoniously conceived to complement and support each other. Nothing here is superfluous and nothing lacking, with the result of a perfectly balanced composition flawless.

Islam is a religion that is applied every day. Among Christians, it is just on Sunday.
    أشهد أن لا إله إلاَّ الله و أشهد أن محمد رسول الله

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Nothing more,Nothing less

Quote Originally Posted by hayatto View Post
    We do not convert to Islam, one embraces a religion that encompasses all the others … It was therefore not a conversion, but a reversion to the religion of all prophets.
    this is so true... this is what I felt when I became Muslim, i.e. that it wasn't a case of picking and choosing between a selection of religions, but that most religions come from the same source, i.e. they're all Islam*, just that the teachings of the other religions have become lost, altered, etc and that the Islam of today is simply the original, unadulterated version; the truth Allah has been trying to teach humanity all along.

*there are some that are completely made up by humans though, such as Aleister Crowley's religion, Wicca and Satanism.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've posted a few times before. There's more info here.

Anyway, I'm kinda different to a lot of reverts because I was never having to battle my family to become a Muslim. Instead it was actually my family that got me into Islam. My mum married a Muslim and she reverted before me. Initially my mum was really quite eager to get me into Islam quickly but my stepdad was more patient. Anyway, I became Muslim off my own bat. Having read into it it just seemed to make more sense than other religions.

I've been Muslim for a year now. I won't pretend it's been easy. The hardest thing was hijab. Particularly at school, suddenly going from wearing trousers and uncovered hair to hijab and ankle length skirt was a shock. But at the same time I know it's the right thing to do and I couldn't imagine going out without it on now. There are other things I've find hard as well and my stepdad's been getting strict. I know he cares but the changes have been pretty big.

Still praying and trying to be a better Muslim though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eternal journey View Post
    Brother Al Farooq you keep us waiting too long in between parts .
    Still waiting for part 5....

MashaAllah @ sister Wishing Well, jazakillahu khayran for posting . May Allah keep you steadfast and make the deen easy for you, aameen. Don't worry, it's not only reverts who struggle with implementing deen. Many born Muslim sisters struggle with the concept of hijaab too for example, because unfortunately many of us are not brought up with the concept of it when we are young.

Alhamdulillah for being Muslim though sis; when we take a few steps towards Allah, well you know how the hadith qudsi goes . Actually if you don't know it, here it is :

Anas (ra) reported from the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, in what he reported from his Lord, the Mighty and Majestic. He said, "When the slave comes towards Me a hand-span, I go an arm-length towards him. When he comes towards Me an arm-length, I go a fathom towards him. When he comes towards Me walking, I go towards him running."[al-Bukhari]

SubhanAllah, how merciful is Allah to His slaves! If we turn to Allah with a sincere heart we can't go wrong and the deen will become easy for us, inshaAllah. If you ever need any help/advice do post here and we're happy to help if we can, Allah willing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I had a read through this whole thread last night, a lot of amazing stories, Mashallah .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I won't get into why I converted, but here's a thing I wrote on my myspace back on May 18, 2007:
    Today, I converted to Islam. I met with a friend at the local Mosque, and we went inside and talked with the imam and agreed to have me reciet shahada before Jummah prayer. He invited me up to the front before everyone and he started recieting shahada and had me reciet it after him. He told me that I would reciet it three times just to make sure that I got everything correct. I knew I was messing up recieting it. The imam was very quiet and I couldn't hear what he said a couple times, so I was just waiting there with everyone looking at me trying to figure out what he said. I finally recieted shahada and everyone was like "Allahu Akbar" ("God is Great"). Then everyone came up one by one to hug and congratulate me. I was so nervous, but in the end it was the best feeling in the world.
    Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up do we realize something was actually strange.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

^ MashaAllah akhi, for sharing.
    May Allah keep you strong and steadfast on the deen always and may He guide your family to Islam, ameen.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)

ameen
    And He found you lost and guided you,
    ~ Qur'an (Ad Duhaa) 93:7 ~

Salaah Reminders

Guide us to the straight pain.
    " Ihdina-s-sirata-l-mustaqim "
    ~ Quran 1:6 ~

الله أعلم

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

SubhanAllah!!! Wonderful stories in here still love this thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sum5 View Post
    Asalam Alikum warhamtullahi wabarakthuhu,

From a very young age it was apparent that I was very different to my family. From the age of 5 I remember being in the playground at school and doing something "naughty" and looking up at the sky and remembering that God can see me. My Father re-called to me a year ago that when I was 2 he was putting me to sleep and I asked him. "Who do we pray to God, or Jesus?"
    Him and my Mother were 18/19 when they had me so they were very young my question was odd to them as my Mother was not a Christian nor my father. He told me to ask my Mum. My Grandad got involved and told me lies about prohpet Isa. As he is Jewish. (I do not remember any of that)

Small things would happen at family gatherings that would make me think why am I so different to my family. They would make racist comments about asian/black people. I remeber once they made a joke and I got very upest and left the family and went to my room. I could hear everyone talking about me and my Mother defending me saying that I am sensative and they should not speak like that infront of me. I remeMber that day like yesrday. I was about 10. I sat in my room thinking about "God" and life and it's purpose.

I started seconday school aged 11 and became bestfriends with a Somali girl. We did everything together. So when Ramadhan came she began to wear her Hijab (which she kept on from that day Alhumdulilah) she would not eat lunch with me. I became a bit upset she kept dissapearing to pray. I was on her case would ask a million questions. Oneday I went to her house and she had told her mother about my intrest etc... so they handed me some very simple dawah books. Which I cherished I would read them again and again. Taken extra care not to put my hand on the arabic writting in them (not sure why I did that.)

I believed In the tawheed of Islam. I began refering to "God" as Allah. Although I never actually took my shahadah.

A few years passed and the passing of my Grandmother who we lived with for many years tore us apart as a family. I remeber becoming very aware of Allah as this time like a faith in God I never had before my sister at this point use to go to "confession" and started dealing with magic. Speaking to her made me realise more that Islam was the truth.

A year or so passed and something truely awful happened in my life. Which was by a Muslim. My whole belief system crashed. I was a wreck. I could not believe there was Muslims like that and a year long court case began which really ruined my teenage years. The most unvelieveable thing for me was that Islam must not be true because of the actions of this person. I remeber on the day the verdict was to given I looked up to the sky and said "If this person is found guilty there is a God if he is found not guilty how can there be a God?" (Audo billah)

I sat in the court room with my mother shaking like a leaf and a man who in appreance looked like a muslim was crying he was part of the jury he could not make eye contact with me. He stood and said he found the defendant not guilty!

I was shatterd! In complete shock and horror that this belief system I had had for so many years has vanished.

A year later me ad my Mother went on holiday to Turkey. we went on a trip to the mountains and came across a sound that echoed through the whole of the mountain. It was truely a beautiful sound which made my eyes well-up with tears. I asked the guide what that was he told me it was the adhan. So I asked if he could take me there and can I go in (he said no!) A few days later I went to the market by myself I saw this old lady dressed dead to toe in black. I starred at her for what seemed ages. I just had a feeling of how I dressed was not the correct way. So I went back to the hotel and put longer garments on.

My heart was starting to change again, I was at a friends house when I was there she put on Islam channel. I heard the adhan again. I told her I heard that in Turkey she began just to talk to me more about Islam. I burst into tears and said I want to become Muslim. I was scared that Allah would take the opportunity away. She showed me show to pray that day about a week or so later I went to the mosque and took my shahadah infront of roughly 200 sisters offically. That day wa sthe best day of my life.

The day I was going to take my shahadah I left a very long letter for my Mother to explain what I am doing and why I am doing it. She tabarka'Allah has been a pock for me. She called me asked if I had done it and congratulated me when I told her I was offically a muslim she came home that night and gave me hijabs and halal meat lol! May Allah guide her Ameen
    Jazakallah khair for sharing this Sum xxx Allah guide your mother to the truth amin.

bring back PAGAL LADOOOO

On A Hired Plane of Logic LailaTheMuslim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2672 Post(s)

Basically I started practicing at around 15, and these past few years have been really tumultous for me, but I recently came through with my faith in one hand and my 21-yeard old life in the other.

Oh and R.I.P to brother Uncle Umar x
    وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/