PDA

View Full Version : Tonsillitis

ze leetle elper
10-01-05, 01:07 PM
What is Tonsillitis?

Tonsillitis (ton-sil-lie-tiss) is an inflammation of the tonsils caused by an infection. In tonsillitis, the tonsils are enlarged, red, and often coated (either partly or entirely) by a substance that is yellow, gray, or white. Tonsillitis usually occurs as part of a pharyngitis (throat infection). Tonsilitis usually begins with sudden sore throat and painful swallowing.

Sometimes, tonsillitis reoccurs, and may cause difficulty breathing. If this occurs, your doctor may recommend taking them out. This procedure of removing tonsils from the throat is called a tonsillectomy.

What are Tonsils?

The tonsils are fleshy clusters of tissue that lie in bands on both sides of the back of the throat, above and behind the tongue. The tonsils' major function is to catch incoming germs before the germs cause infections in the throat, mouth, or sinuses. Tonsils contain infection-fighting cells and antibodies that stop the spread of the germs further into the body.

If the tonsils are taken out, the individual will not suffer from more infections than they did when they had their tonsils. There are other tissues in the body that will produce antibodies to fight infection.

What are the symptoms?

Each person with tonsillitis may not experience all of the symptoms. Some of the major symptoms are: a very sore throat, fever (http://www.mamashealth.com/fever.asp), redder-than-normal tonsils, chills, a yellow or white coating on the tonsils, a funny-sounding voice, swollen glands in the neck, and bad breath.

How is tonsillitis diagnosed?

Tonsillitis can be diagnosed by performing a rapid strep test, also called a throat culture. To perform the throat culture, the doctor will use a long cotton swab to swipe off some of the stuff on the surface of the back of your throat. The doctor will then test the "stuff" on the cotton swab. This test will determine whether you have tonsillitis and whether it is caused by a bacteria or a virus.

Is Tonsillitis Contagious?

Yes. Tonsillitis usually spreads from person to person by contact with the throat or nasal fluids of someone who is already infected.

How Is Tonsillitis Treated?

Treatment for tonsillitis depends on whether it was caused by a virus or bacteria. If the tonsillitis was caused by strep bacteria (streptococci), the doctor will prescribe antibiotics. If the tonsillitis was caused by a virus, your body will fight off the infection on its own. However, medication can be prescribed to alleviate the symptoms.

How long does Tonsillitis Last?

If tonsillitis is caused by bacteria, with antibiotic treatment, the illness is usually cured within 1 week. However, it may take several weeks for the tonsils and swollen glands to return to normal size.

When tonsillitis is caused by viruses, the length of illness depends on which virus is involved. Usually, people are almost completely recovered within 1 week.

ponderingstar
10-01-05, 01:17 PM
Awww ze do you have tonsillitis?! :( i had it for a good two weeks and then it kept reoccuring slightly for a good two weeks after.... but i don't like going to the doctors unless i feel like i have no other option.

BTW just wondering if you found that info on some handy website...? If so can i have a link?:up:

ze leetle elper
10-01-05, 03:24 PM
http://www.mamashealth.com/tonsillitis.asp

Well I definately have a sore throat and painful swallowing :( And I never take any medicine lol :p So I guess I'm in for the long 2-week haul... :nervous:

ponderingstar
10-01-05, 03:32 PM
well it normally never lasts that long, but i think there was a specific flu like bug going round where tonsillitis was a side effect....

i know this sounds dumb but if you sleep with a scarf (like a chiffon one) wrapped around your head, it'll REALLY helps. Wrap it from underneath and tie it on top like a bow and then take it back down and tie it again. you'll look like an idiot :eek2: , but you'll get better quicker :up:

although being somewhat newly married you may not want to take the looking like an idiot route:D

ze leetle elper
10-01-05, 04:15 PM
although being somewhat newly married you may not want to take the looking like an idiot route:D
I'll take the risk :evilb:

H25
11-01-05, 03:42 PM
I have just recovered from a really bad case of tonsillitis and I was in pain for 2 weeks. the first antibiotic they gave me made me worse but the second sorted me out. I am so glad I'm healthy again. Thank you Allah

Mr_Jailer
11-01-05, 03:49 PM
http://www.mamashealth.com/tonsillitis.asp

Well I definately have a sore throat and painful swallowing :( And I never take any medicine lol :p So I guess I'm in for the long 2-week haul... :nervous:
I had a terrible sore throat y'day. Even contemplated takin' the day off work today.

I had honey with my hot drinks and I have strepsils. I get sore throats regularly.

Mr_Jailer
11-01-05, 03:52 PM
Does it hurt to get the tonsils removed?

Ebony
11-01-05, 06:41 PM
iv had mine removed for years now...it hurt at first (throat swells up...i couldnt talk..though i got to eat LOTS AND LOTS of ICE CREAM - recommended by the DR himself :D )