PDA

View Full Version : Khidr :asalam: is possibly still alive???

Repentant
22-06-13, 01:15 PM
Well I found this pretty interesting article here (http://www.alahazrat.net/islam/life-of-hazrat-khidr-alaihissalam.php) about the opinion that he [Khizr] is possibly still alive, a view that Hafiz Ibn Kathir held too. It presents Hadeeths as well as incidents that occurred at the time of Rasoolallah :saws2: death and other incidents at the time of the Sahaba and Tabi'een. It also offers answers to opposing views. Another interesting thing mentioned is that Khizr was in fact Adam :asalam: 's son and is meant to live up till the Last Day!
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________

There are differences (Ikhtilaaf) amongst the scholars regarding whether Khidr (Alay hissalaam) is still alive, or has died. There also exists Ikhtilaaf regarding whether Khidr (Alay hissalaam) was a Prophet or a saint. Many scholars are of the opinion that he is still alive, while others, such as Hafidhh Ibn Taymiyyah and his followers is of the opinion that he has died.

Evidence suggesting that Khidr ‘alaihi salaam is alive

In Sahih Muslim we find the following narration:

Dajjaal will kill a person once and then bring him back to life, then he will ask him, “Do you believe that I am God?” That person will reply, “No! I am convinced that you are the Dajjaal of which the Prophet (May Allah bless him and grant him peace) informed us”. Dajjaal will throw him in his fire, which in reality will be Paradise.The narrator of this Hadith is Abu Is-haaq who says: It is commonly known that this person would be Khidr (Alay hissalaam).

(Sahih Muslim, Chapter on Dajjaal)

Abu Is-haaq was amongst the Taba’tabi’een and it was common knowledge during that period that Khidr (Alay hissalaam) was alive and his death will occur at the time of Dajjaal.

Hafidhh Ibn Kathir states:

King Zulqarnain discovered a type of water referred to as the ‘water of life’ which when drank would allow a person to remain alive forever. He departed with many people searching for it, and Khidr, (Alay hissalaam) was also with him. At one place Khidr (Alay hissalaam) drank some water and the King did not.

[Tareekh by Ibn Kathir, volume 1 chapter Zulqarnain]

Hafidhh Ibn Hajar Asqalani says in his A’sabah that Khidr’s name is in the list of Companions of our Prophet (May Allah bless him and grant him peace).)

Hafidhh Ibn Kathir writes: “ When the Prophet (May Allah bless him and grant him peace) departed from this world, Umar heard someone come into the house but saw no-one, when he asked, Umar said it was Khidr (Alay hissalaam)”. Then a voice was heard which said, ‘O household of the Prophet (May Allah bless him and grant him peace), be patient’. Ali said it was Khidr (Alay hissalaam).”

Imam Bayhaqi said: “These narration’s are weak, but there are so many similar narrations, which suggests that they do have some origin. The coming of Khidr upon the death of the Prophet (May Allah bless him and grant him peace).

(Sirat-un-Nabi and Tareekh ibn Kathir chap Demise of Prophet (May Allah bless him and grant him peace) by Hafidhh ibn Kathir).

Other narrations of a similar nature can be found including the following made by someone who is very much respected by certain factions :

Ibn Muhammad bin Abdul Wahaab al Najdi writes, “After the death of the Prophet (May Allah bless him and grant him peace) a voice was heard, ‘O family of the Prophet, be patient and peace be upon you.’” [Mukhtaser Sirat-ur-Rasool, Chapter ‘Death of Prophet’]

We can mention here a very important scholarly point that are made by countless scholars including Hafidhh Ibn Kathir who writes,

“If there exist many narrations regarding one issue, then even if they are weak, they can be accepted.” [Tafsir Ibn Kathir (Surah Al-An’am, verse 123]

Hafidhh Ibn Kathir states that Khidr (Alay hissalaam) was the son of Adam (Alay hissalaam), who prayed to Allah: ‘O Allah, give my son Khidr a long life so that he lives until the Day of Judgement’. Adam (Alay hissalaam) also told Khidr (Alay hissalaam) ‘O my son, you shall bury me after my death’. He also gave him news of his long life. Khidr (Alay hissalaam) also sat in the boat of the Prophet Nuh (Alay hissalaam).

[Tareekh by Ibn Kathir, Volume One, Chapter ‘Musa and Khidr’]

There have been many narrations of various types some which have been rejected by the scholars for example Hafidhh Ibn Kathir rejected the statements which claimed that Khidr (Alay hissalaam) was the son of Pharaoh or that he was born during Pharaoh’s time. He strictly says he was alive a long time before Musa (Alay hissalaam).

[Tareekh by Ibn Kathir, Volume One, Chapter ‘Musa and Khidr’]

Imam Dhahabi writes, Umar bin Abdul Aziz was talking with a man. After he had finished talking with him, he returned and someone asked him who, he had been talking with. He replied, “He was Khidr and he came to give me some good news, that I will be the ruler of the Muslim world.”

(Tadkarahtul Huffaz biography of Umar bin Abdul Aziz by Imam Dhahabi)

Imam Nawawi also provides many references and statements given by many scholars, proving that Khidr (Alay hissalaam) is still alive. (Sharh Muslim, Chapter on Dajjaal)

From the aforementioned evidence, it can be clearly seen that the narrations support the opinion of those Ulama who say that Khidr (Alay hissalaam) is still alive.

Some people raise a question by saying:

In Bukhari there is a Hadith where the Prophet (May Allah bless him and grant him peace) states, ‘Of all the people who are alive upon the earth on this day, none will be living in a hundred years time’.

Secondly he said that: The Prophet (May Allah bless him and grant him peace) supplicated (du’a) upon the occasion of the battle of Badr. “There are three hundred and thirteen people with me. If we do not triumph then no one will be left to worship you Oh Allah.” Following this evidence, Hafidhh Ibn Taymiyyah and his follwers conclude that if Khidr (Alay hissalaam) was alive then he should have joined the army and made the number amount to three hundred and fourteen.

Answers to the objections

(1) The Prophet (May Allah bless him and grant him peace) stated: “Of those alive on the earth, none will be alive in a hundred years time”. It is possible that Khidr (Alay hissalaam) at that particular moment was present in a location other than this world (dunya). Just as Isa (Alay hissalaam) was also ‘alive’ at that time. If Isa (Alay hissalaam) never came down to help the Prophet Muhammad (May Allah bless him and grant him peace) in the battle of Badr then this did not break his promise that he made with Allah most High, in the spiritual world. In the same manner, there is nothing inappropriate regarding the fact that Khidr (Alay hissalaam) never joined the army for the battle. Having said that there is no confirmation that he did or did not join the Muslim army in the Battle of Badr since he is an unseen person. It may also be possible that he joined, but our Prophet (May Allah bless him and grant him peace) never mentioned his name like the thousands of angels who fought in this great battle but the Prophet (May Allah bless him and grant him peace) never mentioned all their names. So this means that Hafidhh Ibn Taymiyyah’s suspicions are insufficient to support the opinion that Khidr (Alay hissalaam) has died. There is not even a single weak Hadith to support this opinion let alone an authentic one.

(2) At the time of the Battle of Badr the population of the Muslim Ummah was not just three hundred and thirteen, In fact there were Muslims present in Madinah Munawarah who did not fight in the battle.

The explanation of the du’a is. ‘There will be none to worship you with victory.’ For no doubt the Muslims in Madinah, Abysinnia and Makkah would have continued to worship Allah.

From the aforementioned, according to Hafidhh Ibn Kathir, Khidr (Alay hissalaam) was alive from the time of Adam (Alay hissalaam) up until the time of Musa (Alay hissalaam). It seems rather unusual that Ibn Kathir rejected the understanding that Khidr (Alay hissalaam) could not live after the time of Musa (Alay hisalaam)

Comments

To conclude this chapter, it is clear that Ibn Taymiyyah and those who adhere to his principles do not believe that Khidr (Alay hissalaam) is alive.

It is very disturbing to see that on one side many narration’s exist which prove the validity of Khidr (Alay hissalaam) being ‘alive’ but on the other side there are the suspicions of Ibn Taymiyyah and those who blindly follow him. Such as, Hafidhh Ibn Kathir, who after having written the above narrations was convinced by Hafidhh ibn Taymiyyah’s understanding, still continue to create doubts in the minds of Muslims.

It must be understood that the belief that Khidr (Alay hissalaam) is still alive is not a matter of aqeedah and has no relation to Imaan and kufr.

We ask Allah ‘O Allah whatever we have said, if it is true accept it but if it is false we ask you to forgive us’. Amin!
-__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________

Repentant
22-06-13, 01:28 PM
﴿رَحْمَةً مِّن رَّبِّكَ وَمَا فَعَلْتُهُ عَنْ أَمْرِى﴾

(as a mercy from your Lord. And I did them not of my own accord.) Meaning, `These three things that I did, come from the mercy of Allah for those we have mentioned, the crew of the ship, the parents of the boy and the two sons of the righteous man; I was only commanded to do these things that were enjoined upon me.' This is proof and evidence in support of those who say that Al-Khidr, peace be upon him, was a Prophet, along with the Ayah which we have already quoted:

﴿فَوَجَدَا عَبْدًا مِّنْ عِبَادِنَآ ءَاتَيْنَاهُ رَحْمَةً مِّنْ عِندِنَا وَعَلَّمْنَاهُ مِن لَّدُنَّا عِلْمًا ﴾

(Then they found one of Our servants, on whom We had bestowed mercy from Us, and whom We had taught knowledge from Us.) ﴿18:65﴾

Tafsir Ibn Kathir

Jannah7
22-06-13, 01:56 PM
what is the source of the first post?

Repentant
22-06-13, 02:07 PM
what is the source of the first post?

You can click on the eighth word of my first post, the link is there.

Abu Juwairiya
22-06-13, 06:34 PM
I heard an Islamic lecture once where the Imam said that if Khidr was alive, he would have had to come into the public domain and openly declare his shahada and accept the Messengership of Muhammad Ibn Abdullah. He would also need to actively involve himself in the propagation of Islam and act according to Sharia law alone worldwide and not in one place, especially his local area. Since there is no record of that having happened the Imam mentioned, it shows he is not alive.

cyber_abdullah
22-06-13, 11:23 PM
khidr being alive is a sufi belief, and based on the alahazrat link in the OP, a barelvi belief as well. As far as I know the majority of Muslims don't believe that.

Repentant
23-06-13, 12:54 AM
khidr being alive is a sufi belief, and based on the alahazrat link in the OP, a barelvi belief as well. As far as I know the majority of Muslims don't believe that.

You think Ibn Kathir was a Sufi?:rubeyes:

Ibn Muhammad bin Abdul Wahaab al Najdi woul never be quoted by a Barelvi bunch.

.Kid.
23-06-13, 01:27 AM
Difference of opinion. Those who say he is not alive also have there evidence which is recognized among ulema.

Ibn Qayim rah has his view if you are interested in the other opinion.

aMuslimForLife
23-06-13, 01:55 AM
I heard an Islamic lecture once where the Imam said that if Khidr was alive, he would have had to come into the public domain and openly declare his shahada and accept the Messengership of Muhammad Ibn Abdullah. He would also need to actively involve himself in the propagation of Islam and act according to Sharia law alone worldwide and not in one place, especially his local area. Since there is no record of that having happened the Imam mentioned, it shows he is not alive.

And where are these rules written for Al Khidr??? Is it based on an authentic mutawatir hadith or a Quran Ayat, or is it a belief based on analogy and logical deduction.

Repentant
24-06-13, 03:34 AM
And where are these rules written for Al Khidr??? Is it based on an authentic mutawatir hadith or a Quran Ayat, or is it a belief based on analogy and logical deduction.

Exactly

.Kid.
24-06-13, 03:53 AM
:salams

Ibn Qayyim rah has is evidence.

I don't have the book at the moment but one of his evidence was this narration.

The Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “I swear by the One Who has my soul in His Hand, if Musa (alaihis salam) were alive today, he would have no choice but to follow me.” [Ahmad]

Repentant
24-06-13, 04:11 AM

Ibn Qayyim rah has is evidence.

I don't have the book at the moment but one of his evidence was this narration.

The Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “I swear by the One Who has my soul in His Hand, if Musa (alaihis salam) were alive today, he would have no choice but to follow me.” [Ahmad]

Please share his view, as well as any existing refutation of the views of Ibn Kathir, Ibn Hajr, Imam Dhababi etc including the refutation of their authentic ahadeeth.

Moreover the Hadeeth you mentioned may specifically just apply to Musa :asalam:

.Kid.
24-06-13, 04:25 AM
Please share his view, as well as any existing refutation of the views of Ibn Kathir, Ibn Hajr, Imam Dhababi etc including the refutation of their authentic ahadeeth.

Moreover the Hadeeth you mentioned may specifically just apply to Musa :asalam:

This isn't exactly what I read but it has similar arguments

http://www.alahazrat.net/islam/life-of-hazrat-khidr-alaihissalam.php

Not sure on reliability of website, but like i said arguments are similar.

Wallahu Alim

Repentant
24-06-13, 04:27 AM
This isn't exactly what I read but it has similar arguments

http://www.alahazrat.net/islam/life-of-hazrat-khidr-alaihissalam.php

Wallahu Alim

The above link is the same one that I posted.

.Kid.
24-06-13, 04:30 AM
The above link is the same one that I posted.

oh lol my bad.

It was in the stories of the prophets by Ibn Kathir which ibn Qayyim's opinion was also shared.

Arashim
24-06-13, 04:38 AM
there is concept of distinction between a Nabi (prophets) and a Rasul (messengers). every rasul is a nabi , but many nabi are not Rasul, only vew of them

in this case Khidr a.s is a Nabi but not a Rasul

Repentant
25-06-13, 09:56 AM
I don't know but I'd be really, really disapppointed if Khidr :asalam: had passed away. I would love it if we could meet him and ask him about all times past. He must have fascinating stories with him with tonnes of wisdom behind them too.

Abu Kamel
25-06-13, 10:13 AM

What he is saying is Khidr would have to be declare himself a Muslim and function as part of the Muslim Ummah. This is self explanatory as he was a slave and servant of Allah and they can only be Muslims.

Abu Kamel
25-06-13, 10:15 AM
It is not possible for a prophet of Allah to be alive today, or someone of similar status, to be alive today and not take a major role in guiding the Muslim Ummah.

Repentant
25-06-13, 10:31 AM
What he is saying is Khidr would have to be declare himself a Muslim and function as part of the Muslim Ummah. This is self explanatory as he was a slave and servant of Allah and they can only be Muslims.

Please see the explanation above. Isa :asalam: is going to return at the time of the biggest Fitnah and its the same events in which it is described that Khidr will reappear, It is said that the man Dajjal will murder and resurrect then murder him again for disbelieving him will be Khidr alayhi salam himself. The absence of Khidr alayhi salam has ben explained by the Ulema who hold the view that he is still around.

Abu Kamel
25-06-13, 11:23 AM
Please see the explanation above. Isa :asalam: is going to return at the time of the biggest Fitnah and its the same events in which it is described that Khidr will reappear, It is said that the man Dajjal will murder and resurrect then murder him again for disbelieving him will be Khidr alayhi salam himself. The absence of Khidr alayhi salam has ben explained by the Ulema who hold the view that he is still around.

Imam Baydawi stated those were weak narrations, hence they cannot be accepted into the Aqidah.
"Common knowledge" caNNOT be equated with wahy in matters of the Unseen, and the name of the revived man was NOT mentioned by the Prophet (saaw) as Khidr.
In fact, the Prophet (saaw) only spoke of Isa ibn Maryam (as) returning.
The matter of Ibn Kathir (rh) speculating about Khidr was only his personal theories- not a matter that can be accepted as definitive of the Unseen.

No one is required to believe that Khidr is "that man" or that Khidr is still alive.

Repentant
25-06-13, 11:55 AM
Imam Baydawi stated those were weak narrations, hence they cannot be accepted into the Aqidah.
"Common knowledge" caNNOT be equated with wahy in matters of the Unseen, and the name of the revived man was NOT mentioned by the Prophet (saaw) as Khidr.
In fact, the Prophet (saaw) only spoke of Isa ibn Maryam (as) returning.
The matter of Ibn Kathir (rh) speculating about Khidr was only his personal theories- not a matter that can be accepted as definitive of the Unseen.

No one is required to believe that Khidr is "that man" or that Khidr is still alive.

Yes there is ikhtilaaf over this issue. And there were scholars such as Nawawi who held the view that he is alive and scholars such as Imam Ahmed who opposed the idea. So it doesn't reflect on one's aqeedah.

And there are actually other proofs such as the one narrated by Imam Ahmad in al-Zuhd where Rasulallah (SAW) stated that Ilyas (alayhi salam) and Khizr (alayhi salam) meet every year on the occasion of Ramadan in Bait Al Muqaddis, and there is another one which was narrated by Ya'qub ibn Sufyan from 'Umar ibn 'Abd al-'Aziz where a man he was seen walking with was actually Khizr. Ibn Hajar said the chain of the first was fair and that the second was sound in Fath al-Bari (1959 ed. 6:435). He also mentioned another sound report which was narrated by Ibn 'Asakir from Abu Zur'a al-Razi where the latter met Khidr twice, once in his young age, the other in his old age, but Khizr's physical appearance remained the same.

tayyiboon
25-06-13, 11:57 AM
let us focus on our lives instead of arguing whether someone is alive or dead....

Repentant
25-06-13, 12:08 PM
In al-Isha`a li Ashrat al-Sa`a Al-Barzanji said it was the view of some like Ibn Abbas that the guy who Dajjal will meet is Khizr (alayhi salam).

Some people also use the following Hadith as proof of the view that Khizr (alayhi salam) is still alive: 'It may be that one of those who saw me and heard my speech shall meet the Dajjal."

But Ibn Hajr said its weak however Imam al-Tirmidhi testified that it is also narrated from three other Companions and thus he gave the grade of the hadith as "fair and single-chained' (hasan gharib) .

Repentant
25-06-13, 12:13 PM
let us focus on our lives instead of arguing whether someone is alive or dead....

I feel like I am trying to convince myself.

Repentant
25-06-13, 12:25 PM
Anyways as a brief side note, which you don' have to believe if you don't want to since its not an argument from the Quran and Sunnah, but many pious Ulema have recounted encountering Khizr (alayhi salam). Imam Nawawi was one of them who is said to have regularly encountered and interacted with him. Al Sakhawi has recorded this information.

cyber_abdullah
25-06-13, 04:25 PM
Some people also use the following Hadith as proof of the view that Khizr (alayhi salam) is still alive: 'It may be that one of those who saw me and heard my speech shall meet the Dajjal."

Didn't the prophet (saw) say that if the dajjal should come during his (saw) time, he would fight the dajjal on our behalf? it shows that the early Muslims had no idea when the dajjal would come (asides from the portents of his arrival mentioned in ahadith). Some were even scared because they thought they spotted the dajjal. So I don't think that hadith can be proof for the belief about khidr being immortal? i could be wrong though.

snow_flakes
26-06-13, 02:04 AM
I too have heard khidr as is still alive.Now i d like to search...

Repentant
27-07-13, 06:48 AM
“…Scholars disagree as to whether he is presently alive, though most believe he is and will remain so until the Day of Judgement because of having drunk of the water of life — and also as to whether he is a prophet, angel or friend of Allah (wali), ther majority holding him to be a prophet. (al Futuhaat Al Ilahiyya, Siraj Al Munir)

[Page 1067 of Reliance]

Al Sakhawi said: “It is well-known that al-Nawawi used to meet with al-Khidr and converse with him among many other unveilings (mukashafat).”

[Al-Sakhawi, Tarjima Shaykh al-Islam Qutb al-Awliya’ al-Kiram wa Faqih al-Anam Muhyi al-Sunna wa Mumit al-Bid’a Abi Zakariyya Muhyi al-Din al-Nawawi]

.Kid.
27-07-13, 06:57 AM

Both opinions have been shown, I don't think it is a wise decision for anyone to go further to find the "ultimate truth".

Reliable scholars have given there view, and your not going to find anything they didn't have if not you driving yourself crazy.

*aisha*
27-07-13, 06:58 AM
water of life? fountain of youth that ponce de leon wanted so desperately to find. has never been found or any evidence shows that it really exists. it seems to me like a fools dream.

cyber_abdullah
27-07-13, 09:36 AM
water of life? fountain of youth that ponce de leon wanted so desperately to find. has never been found or any evidence shows that it really exists. it seems to me like a fools dream.

im sure the water of life is an israiliyyat belief

Saif-Uddin
28-07-13, 05:04 AM
I don't know but I'd be really, really disapppointed if Khidr :asalam: had passed away. I would love it if we could meet him and ask him about all times past. He must have fascinating stories with him with tonnes of wisdom behind them too.

This thread is irellevant,

1. The Death or the Living of Khidr (as) does not change our deen.

2. We don't follow the previous Shariah's they have been abrogated.

3. We follow the Shariah given to Muhammad :saw: which Esa(as) will be following when he returns as well.

4. Every soul shall taste Death, there will be no exceptions, including All of the Anbiya(as) ...

:jkk:

Saif-Uddin
28-07-13, 05:08 AM

It is,

this is the real one (a River) ...

Abu Sa’eed Al-Khudri (ra) reported: The Messenger of Allah, :saw: said, “Allah will enter the people of Paradise into Paradise among whoever He wills from His mercy, and He will enter the people of Hellfire into the Hellfire, then He will say: Look for those whom you find faith in their hearts as much as a mustard seed and bring them out. Then they will be brought out having been burned and turned into charcoal. They will be thrown into the river of life and will sprout just as a seed in the silt is carried away by the flood. Have you not seen that it comes out yellow and entwined?”

[Sahih Muslim]

Muslim First
28-07-13, 05:10 AM
This isn't beneficial knowledge.

Saif-Uddin
28-07-13, 05:17 AM
This isn't beneficial knowledge.

Ditto,

Bismil
28-07-13, 05:31 AM
There are certain things which only Allah ( swt ) knows , and which does not make any difference to us. This is one of such thing. Its better not to assume on such matters .

*aisha*
28-07-13, 05:59 AM
It is,

this is the real one (a River) ...

Abu Sa’eed Al-Khudri (ra) reported: The Messenger of Allah, :saw: said, “Allah will enter the people of Paradise into Paradise among whoever He wills from His mercy, and He will enter the people of Hellfire into the Hellfire, then He will say: Look for those whom you find faith in their hearts as much as a mustard seed and bring them out. Then they will be brought out having been burned and turned into charcoal. They will be thrown into the river of life and will sprout just as a seed in the silt is carried away by the flood. Have you not seen that it comes out yellow and entwined?”

[Sahih Muslim]

exactly in jannah there is but not here on earth. no man can escape death no matter how much he fears it and wants to become immortal. like I said its a fools dream.

Repentant
28-07-13, 06:08 AM

Agreed

I never said that we do.

3. We follow the Shariah given to Muhammad :saw: which Esa(as) will be following when he returns as well.

Agreed.

4. Every soul shall taste Death, there will be no exceptions, including All of the Anbiya(as) ...

Agreed. I never said Khidr won't die, I was simply supporting the opinion that he is still alive. Note that the opinion doesn't claim that Khizr is immortal, just that he has a long life like Isa :asalam:.

kh4N
28-07-13, 10:31 AM
Having a long life ain't no big deal. Didn't Nuh (AS) live more than 900 years? Even Dajjal has been given really long life, he's still alive till today... Allah (SWT) decrees who lives and dies so kinda pointless discussing this as it doesn't have anything to do with our deen or our lives.

Saif-Uddin
28-07-13, 06:18 PM
Agreed

I never said that we do.

Agreed.

Agreed. I never said Khidr won't die, I was simply supporting the opinion that he is still alive. Note that the opinion doesn't claim that Khizr is immortal, just that he has a long life like Isa :asalam:.

Let us assume that it is so,

It is pointless for us to indulge in such matters,

Abdul-Curim
29-07-13, 06:52 AM
This thread is irellevant,

Aye .

Have heard sufis claiming Khidr (as) as still alive . Now does it even matter to our Deen in anyway .

We are to focus only on the Quran and Sunnah . End of .