PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok for Muslim children to attend catholic schools?

Sasiddiqi
18-04-13, 11:48 AM
Asalamualikum brothers and sisters,
I am new member and I joined this forum to discuss some issues with Muslim brothers and sisters, now what I am anxious about is, if its ok for Muslim children to go to catholic schools, my daughter is 5 years old, she is in reception class in a catholic school (with around 20% muslim student) which is nearest school to my home, but we have got many community schools in our area( with 40% to 50% muslim students).Now should leave my daughter to attend the catholic school or should I transfer her to a community school.
Thanks

Massilia
18-04-13, 12:08 PM
Can she wear the scarf at school? like in public school? In France some Muslim do send their children to Catholic school so that the girls can keep their hijab. but they don't have religious classes like "trinity is great wouh". Even non-Catholics aren't obliged to attend religious classes.

nonameakhi
18-04-13, 12:12 PM
NO. is the simple answer. These schools are based heavily on worship and do things like dialy prayers and the cross is a feature in everything

Read the small print of the school forms and you will see you agree to the ethos/principles etc of the faith

Also most have a motto that can be against the shahadah/Islam

StopS
18-04-13, 01:15 PM
Is the point of childhood learning only 1 cordoned off viewpoint?
I grew up in apartheid and did not care as a child. I played with blacks, until my parents stopped me because the neighbours were "commenting" on my bad behaviour.

Later, I decided myself what was right and what was wrong. My parents brought me up to take responsibility and did not protect me from reality. I would let my children learn about all religions, all the pros and cons, and let them decide themselves.

Hadid
18-04-13, 01:20 PM
NO. is the simple answer. These schools are based heavily on worship and do things like dialy prayers and the cross is a feature in everything

Read the small print of the school forms and you will see you agree to the ethos/principles etc of the faith

Also most have a motto that can be against the shahadah/Islam

But atheist schools are even worse.

nonameakhi
18-04-13, 01:31 PM

I dont believe there is ''atheist'' schools as such. however there are the ''secular'' schools and for me they are far better than catholic schools.
I have worked in education and I have found that if parents can be bothered then the school has to accomodate.

My children have gone to these schools and worn hijab where necessary, pray, excluded form what I dont like etc etc

I was quite clear that the school i sfor learning to read and write, teh rest is my responsibility.

Unfortunately parents are not aware of tehir rights or simply dont bother

Hadid
18-04-13, 01:35 PM
I dont believe there is ''atheist'' schools as such. however there are the ''secular'' schools and for me they are far better than catholic schools.
I have worked in education and I have found that if parents can be bothered then the school has to accomodate.

My children have gone to these schools and worn hijab where necessary, pray, excluded form what I dont like etc etc

I was quite clear that the school i sfor learning to read and write, teh rest is my responsibility.

Unfortunately parents are not aware of tehir rights or simply dont bother

okay, I personally have a hard time imagining that there's more kufr being tought in catholic schools than secular/atheist schools.

Sasiddiqi
18-04-13, 02:03 PM
She can wear scarf in any school and as u said non Catholics aren't obliged to join religious classes but i think because Muslim percentage is low in this school than the others, it somehow may affect my daughter.

Massilia
18-04-13, 02:06 PM
She can wear scarf in any school and as u said non Catholics aren't obliged to join religious classes but i think because Muslim percentage is low in this school than the others, it somehow may affect my daughter.

ok, well why don't you put her in a "normal" school? Although i think catholic schools are more disciplined

Maghrebia00
18-04-13, 02:37 PM
Asalamualikum brothers and sisters,
I am new member and I joined this forum to discuss some issues with Muslim brothers and sisters, now what I am anxious about is, if its ok for Muslim children to go to catholic schools, my daughter is 5 years old, she is in reception class in a catholic school (with around 20% muslim student) which is nearest school to my home, but we have got many community schools in our area( with 40% to 50% muslim students).Now should leave my daughter to attend the catholic school or should I transfer her to a community school.
Thanks

I think you should read the small prints of the school. As it is a primary or high school the children may be forced to attend mass and pray and so on. I attend catholic college and mass is optional but not forced on, however this may not be the case with primary and highschool. Also, you should consider the food served as they may not be halal so you should state that your child is a vegetarian. You can not make a judgement until you read about the school itself as every school is different. There are even non-catholic schools in uk that force them to sing christian based songs.

DevotedIslamFan
18-04-13, 03:15 PM

This, It would be a safer option to send her to Catholic.

deen1984
18-04-13, 03:22 PM
Studying in a Catholic school

I had a question about attending a Catholic school. I attend a Catholic College, and many of my muslims friend have stated that it is not a rightful act to attend a catholic school. However, I'm not forced to take any of the classes that relate to the Catholisicm. Also, I pray in school, so is there anything wrong with praying in a Catholic school?

Praise be to Allaah.

Undoubtedly these schools pose a great danger to the Muslim who is ignorant of Islam and its teachings, because they give lessons and teach information in which there is approval and praise of the kaafirs and their religions and beliefs, and usually attack Islam and condemn the Muslims. But if the student in these schools has a sound understanding of the beliefs of Islam, and knows the pillars of Islam and what is halaal and what is haraam in Islam, and he needs to go to such a school in order to learn a skill or profession or a gain specific knowledge, and he is confident that he will not be influenced by their lessons and teachers, and he will not be forced to learn any of the subjects that have to do with Catholicism, then in that case we think that it is o.k. for him to study there. Rather we worry about one who is ignorant and does not understand the plots of the kaafirs and their tricks against the Muslims. But whoever is confident and adheres to the beliefs and practices of Islam, then usually such a person would not be affected by their teachings and practice.

Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Jibreen.

http://islamqa.info/en/ref/13302/catholic%20school

Ebony
18-04-13, 03:24 PM
The catholic schools some of my peers went to, they had to take part in daily mass and all other things. Though they just stood there or sat on the bench, they werent allowed to skip them. Saying that, for a catholic secondary school they had their fair share of teenage pregnancies, so goes to show you it makes little difference what kind of school it is!

nonameakhi
18-04-13, 03:58 PM
okay, I personally have a hard time imagining that there's more kufr being tought in catholic schools than secular/atheist schools.

This, It would be a safer option to send her to Catholic.

Allah swt forgives everything but shirk. Catholic schools actively promote Jesus is son of God etc

Secular schools may have to do RE, but its an overview and they do all religions. Parents have the right to withdraw their kids although these rights are not known or exercised.

In religious schools you sign to say you are agreeing with the ethos, Which is far worse

Hadid
18-04-13, 04:45 PM
Allah swt forgives everything but shirk. Catholic schools actively promote Jesus is son of God etc

Secular schools may have to do RE, but its an overview and they do all religions. Parents have the right to withdraw their kids although these rights are not known or exercised.

In religious schools you sign to say you are agreeing with the ethos, Which is far worse

And secular schools actively promote that Allah swt doesn't exist, aswell as homosexuality etc.

wizard.of.oz
18-04-13, 04:55 PM

I went to a Catholic school and none of this happened. They didn't force you to do anything related to Christianity. They did have a prayer at the end of the day, but it was very generic

i.e. 'Thank you God for good health, Amen'.

Lol.

Noreen*
18-04-13, 05:23 PM
I grew up studying at a catholic convent school (studied there for 10 yrs) and I don't think its going to make any difference in fact its going to make your daughter more broad minded having friends of different beliefs. My convent had separate classes for christian girls and muslim girls. I'm glad I went to a convent because I didn't turn out to be one of those narrow minded people who don't respect other people's beliefs and it didn't harm my faith in islam in any way also because my upbringing at home was quite good. So if you send your daughter there make sure you also teach her about islam at home properly especially if that school doesn't cater to teaching islam to muslim students. We used to have islamiat class and nazra (Quran reading class) separately there.

nonameakhi
18-04-13, 06:23 PM
And secular schools actively promote that Allah swt doesn't exist, aswell as homosexuality etc.

Not really. the wholepoint of being secular is that they don't concern themselves with religion. Also they may choose to do assembly etc but parents have the right to exclude as there is no affiliation. Not so with the religious schools

The homosexuality issue is the same. These kind of things are part of the PSHE agenda and you can exclude your child. In fact the LEA comes down hard on the school if parents are prepared to take a child out for an hour or a lesson then return them. ALL schools bend over backwards to accommodate if you are prepared to do this. Most parents cannot be bothered so always use the ''what can we do its the school'' card

I speak of the UK of course and it may be different in other countries

When schools speak of ''curriculum'' take it with a pinch of salt.

nonameakhi
18-04-13, 06:27 PM
I went to a Catholic school and none of this happened. They didn't force you to do anything related to Christianity. They did have a prayer at the end of the day, but it was very generic

i.e. 'Thank you God for good health, Amen'.

Lol.

this is the mission statement of a school near to me

we are committed to working together as one family to ensure that the gospel values and the teachings’ of Jesus Christ are at the heart of the school.

and the aims

•To transform prayer, worship and liturgy into real educational experiences,
developing the faith of each individual in the school community
•To build a caring Catholic community which prepares each one of us for the wider world
•To provide opportunities to learn within a Catholic Christian setting
•To develop proper attitudes and values within that setting
•To use individual strengths for the good of the school

The motto is

One Family One Community together in Christ. With a picture of a white cartoon Jesus holding the hand of different coloured children

This is one example and they have a lot of muslim kids

Another school, the uniform has a cross over the heart, again lots of muslim kids

FYI I worked in schools and have read the forms parents sign.

Umar_
18-04-13, 06:37 PM
Home school them till they're 25.

nonameakhi
18-04-13, 06:38 PM
Home school them till they're 25.

This is the best method if you can do it

redball
18-04-13, 08:24 PM
Where I grew up 50% of my school was Muslim, even the school pricipal and many teachers. But every morning we would have to recite "our father", before lunch the other one, the of the day another one. My mum taught me these things are wrong and to be silent. We had to sing hymns in the morning and in music lessons.
Looking back the ignorance of Muslims was shocking. This was a so called secular school.

So, to OP, you need to discuss daily what she learns at school. She is 5 years old. She wont know unless you teach her. I grew up with it but was taught its wrong.

wizard.of.oz
18-04-13, 11:51 PM
this is the mission statement of a school near to me

we are committed to working together as one family to ensure that the gospel values and the teachings’ of Jesus Christ are at the heart of the school.

and the aims

•To transform prayer, worship and liturgy into real educational experiences,
developing the faith of each individual in the school community
•To build a caring Catholic community which prepares each one of us for the wider world
•To provide opportunities to learn within a Catholic Christian setting
•To develop proper attitudes and values within that setting
•To use individual strengths for the good of the school

The motto is

One Family One Community together in Christ. With a picture of a white cartoon Jesus holding the hand of different coloured children

This is one example and they have a lot of muslim kids

Another school, the uniform has a cross over the heart, again lots of muslim kids

FYI I worked in schools and have read the forms parents sign.
Sounds radically different to the middle school I went to. Although it was Christian by name, it did not force you to adhere to what I would call strictly Christian values.

Ariadne
19-04-13, 09:20 AM
I won't say "yes" or "no". But personally I was brought to Christian School as a child. Until this very day I still cross fingers on praying just because it feels good and I cannot let go of old habit. My ID was written "Islam" but I attended classes teaching trinity, and I even entered church for Christmas. They don't care. Later in one point I became confused which deity to embrace between Jesus, Allah, goddess, or ancient spirits, and then decided to be agnostic to shun them all.

You might think it's trivial thing, but children's heart and mind are like clear canvas. their surroundings will create a pattern upon the canvas. be careful and think long term

Sasiddiqi
20-04-13, 05:39 PM
Thank you all for the replies, And I think I would transfer her to a normal school