PDA

View Full Version : Sunnah rakats

Muslimah81
04-07-11, 12:16 AM
Salam alaikum

The following has been brought to my attention...

A person who leaves out the Sunan-e-Muakkadah Salaah out of carelessness, or habitually leaves them out, is considered a Faasiq (open transgressor). The following ruling is written in Tahtaawi, "A person who leaves out Sunan-e-Muakkadah is a Faasiq, a person who denies it is an innovator, and it is stated in Talweeh that leaving it out is close to Haraam.(Malfoozhaat Faqeehul Ummat, Vol. 1, Part 4, Pg. 16)

Can anyone shed any light on this? Is it sinful to miss sunnah prayers?

:jkk:

.mirror.
04-07-11, 12:21 AM
:wswrwb:

Sunnah Muakkadah are emphasied Sunnah which Prophet :saw: never used to miss.

A person only becomes sinful when he deliberately leaves out the
Sunnat-e-Muakkadah continuously. If due to unavoidable circumstances he
omits them once in a while, then he will not be regarded as sinful. (Shaami
vol.2 pg.451; Multan). The four Sunnats before Jummu'ah Salaat and the four
and two Sunnats after the Jummu'ah Salaat are Sunnat-e-Muakkadah.

AskImam (http://www.islam.tc/cgi-bin/askimam/ask.pl?q=3513&act=print)

Seems like you've heard right.

Wallahu Alam.

Muslimah81
04-07-11, 12:26 AM
this is the first i heard of this....:S

.mirror.
04-07-11, 12:32 AM
Sister, it's not that much, if you really think about it.

2 Before Fajr.

4 Before Dhur and 2 After Dhur

2 After Maghrib

2 After Isha before Witr.

And then...

Rasulullah (:saw:) said, "Whoever performs 12 Rakaats of Salaat in one day excluding the Fardh Salaat, he will be granted a house in Jannah."
(Sahih Muslim - Hadith 1691)

It'll be worth it, sister. :insha: :up:

Soliloquy
04-07-11, 12:35 AM
Wa'alaykum as-salaam,

this is the first i heard of this....:S

You probably don't follow the Hanafi madhab.

Muslimah81
04-07-11, 12:53 AM
oh i have no problem with performing sunnah rakats i just had no idea that it was a sin to miss them consistently!

learn something new everyday! alhamdulillah!

.mirror.
04-07-11, 12:59 AM
OK. Alhamdulillah. That's good, then.

:insha: You won't be held accountable for it, since you weren't aware of it. Or you can ask for forgiveness from Allah :Swt:

Wallahu Alam.

May Allah :Swt: give us tawfeeq to increase our worship of Him and forgive us for our shortcomings that we have done intentionally and unintentionally.

Muslimah81
04-07-11, 01:06 AM
ameen

truepath
04-07-11, 01:12 AM
Wa'alaykum as-salaam,

You probably don't follow the Hanafi madhab.

Actually, I have heard that there is no differences in all 4 madhahib when it comes to sunnah. Differences are in masaail and fiqh not in sunnah

noobz
04-07-11, 01:40 AM
i thought it was 2 before and 2 after the zuhur

Soliloquy
04-07-11, 01:43 AM
Actually, I have heard that there is no differences in all 4 madhahib when it comes to sunnah. Differences are in masaail and fiqh not in sunnah

I thought there was a difference of opinion in regards to whether leaving out Sunnah muakkadah is viewed as "sinful", as the Sis was asking about this specifically? Especially considering the quote says "habitually", I believe this is the Hanafi opinion... =/

Soliloquy
04-07-11, 01:44 AM
i thought it was 2 before and 2 after the zuhur

I believe its four before.

noobz
04-07-11, 01:45 AM
I believe its four before.

im quite sure it was 2 .... and im quite sure Muhammad(sws) never prayed 4 rakaat sunnah together.

Soliloquy
04-07-11, 01:49 AM
im quite sure it was 2 .... and im quite sure Muhammad(sws) never prayed 4 rakaat sunnah together.

Not in the Hanafi madhab... maybe Shafi'i? I don't really know about other madhaaib.

uncle umar
04-07-11, 01:49 AM
there is a differnce of narrations on the issue of 2 or 4 before zuhr.

its not an issue that should divide us.

noobz
04-07-11, 01:50 AM
ermm talking based on hadith and sunnah? .....

.mirror.
04-07-11, 01:52 AM
↑You read it somewhere?

I do see people praying 2 rakats before Dhur, though.

Soliloquy
04-07-11, 01:57 AM
there is a differnce of narrations on the issue of 2 or 4 before zuhr.

its not an issue that should divide us.

Interesting, I didn't know about this.

Hmmm... from Mufti Desai (http://www.islam.tc/cgi-bin/askimam/ask.pl?q=14585&act=view).

noobz
04-07-11, 01:57 AM
↑You read it somewhere?

im quite sure i read it on islamqa

uncle umar
04-07-11, 02:03 AM
↑You read it somewhere?

Interesting, I didn't know about this.

its true. there are different narrations on the matter. when i called a mufti he confirmed that there are difference of opinion and all that. its not a major issue. you can pray one or the other. inshAllah Allah will accept them both.

it depends which scholar you ask on which hadith is stronger because of the different ways hadith are graded and different ways which hadith are used.

there are a few different methodoligies on how to grade hadith, use hadith, and implement and all these kinds of things.

for us laymen, we follow the opinion of whatever madhab we follow. if we dont happen to follow a madhab for whatever reason, then we follow the opinion of whatever ulema we asked so long as they are righteous. or follow islamqa or whatever other fatwa you desire as long as its sound.

this is an issue where both opinion are correct.

for comparison its like one person saying that 1+1=2 and another person saying 2+2=4

both are correct, but its just a matter of which one you want to follow.

.mirror.
04-07-11, 02:11 AM
Umar is right.

You must mean, is the Sunnah prayer before Zuhr two rak’ahs or four rak’ahs? Because the one rak’ah is odd-numbered, and there is no odd-numbered prayer apart from Maghrib, and the Witr prayer at night.

The answer is: it was narrated in some ahaadeeth that the Sunnah prayer before Zuhr is with one tasleem (i.e., it is two rak’ahs), as stated in the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Umar (narrated) in al-Saheehayn.

And in some other ahaadeeth it is narrated that it is two tasleems (i.e., four rak’ahs), as stated in the hadeeth of ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her), (narrated) in Saheeh Muslim.

So one has the choice of doing two or four rak’ahs. But some scholars suggested that if a person prays it at home it is better to pray four rak’ahs with two tasleems, and if he prays them in the mosque, he should pray two rak’ahs with one tasleem).

IslamQA (http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/10889)

Hanafi view is 4 rakats as said by Mufti Ebrahim above (http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?297223-Sunnah-rakats&p=4318819&viewfull=1#post4318819) and:

I pray this finds you in the best of health and spirits.

The sunna before the obligatory Zuhr prayer is specifically four rakats with one set of salams in the Hanafi school, as this was the general practice of the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him), as related by Sayyida A'isha (Allah be pleased with her) and others.

Please search the SunniPath QA for related answers and proofs.

And Allah alone gives success.

Faraz Rabbani

SunniPath (http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=6014&CATE=1352)

And Allah Knows Best.

uncle umar
04-07-11, 02:15 AM
indeed.

so they are all valid choices.

.mirror.
04-07-11, 02:17 AM
Another question:

Can we pray 4 Sunnah Muakkadah of Jummah before 2 Fardh at home before going to Masjid?

uncle umar
04-07-11, 02:23 AM
i dont know. best to ask a scholar.

.mirror.
04-07-11, 02:24 AM

Hafsah1
04-07-11, 02:35 AM
Salam alaikum

The following has been brought to my attention...

A person who leaves out the Sunan-e-Muakkadah Salaah out of carelessness, or habitually leaves them out, is considered a Faasiq (open transgressor). The following ruling is written in Tahtaawi, "A person who leaves out Sunan-e-Muakkadah is a Faasiq, a person who denies it is an innovator, and it is stated in Talweeh that leaving it out is close to Haraam.(Malfoozhaat Faqeehul Ummat, Vol. 1, Part 4, Pg. 16)

Can anyone shed any light on this? Is it sinful to miss sunnah prayers?

Anas (Allah be pleased with him) reported that some of the Companions of Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) asked his (the Prophet's) wives about the acts that he performed in private. Someone among them (among his Companions) said: I will not marry women; someone among them said: I will not eat meat; and someone among them said: I will not lie down in bed. He (the Holy Prophet) praised Allah and glorified Him, and said: What has happened to these people that they say so and so, whereas I observe prayer and sleep too; I observe fast and suspend observing them; I marry women also? And he who turns away from my Sunnah, he has no relation with Me

Sahih Muslim, Book 008, Hadith Number 3236.
------------------------------

Soliloquy
04-07-11, 02:36 AM
:jkk: Umar, I can appreciate that.

ermm talking based on hadith and sunnah? .....

I thought it safe to assume that was a given, considering both madhaaib are based on Qur'an and Sunnah.

$HugoBoss$
04-07-11, 06:01 AM
Sister, it's not that much, if you really think about it.

2 Before Fajr.

4 Before Dhur and 2 After Dhur

2 After Maghrib

2 After Isha before Witr.

And then...

Rasulullah (:saw:) said, "Whoever performs 12 Rakaats of Salaat in one day excluding the Fardh Salaat, he will be granted a house in Jannah."
(Sahih Muslim - Hadith 1691)

It'll be worth it, sister. :insha: :up:

You forgot four sunnah before Asr.........

.mirror.
04-07-11, 06:02 AM
You forgot four sunnah before Asr.........

Muakkadah?

Those are Ghayr Muakkdah, right?

$HugoBoss$
04-07-11, 06:13 AM
Muakkadah?

Those are Ghayr Muakkdah, right?

Actually your right, my mistake I had something else on my mind.

I read somewhere I believe on this forum a while back that the doors of heaven open up at the time of praying four sunnah before zohr. Also as you mentioned Allah will build a house with his own hands for you subhanallah. We need consider these prayers as fardh and that's the only way we'll get into the habit of consistently praying them all inshallah.

.mirror.
04-07-11, 06:20 AM
I read somewhere I believe on this forum a while back that the doors of heaven open up at the time of praying four sunnah before zohr. Also as you mentioned Allah will build a house with his own hands for you subhanallah. We need consider these prayers as fardh and that's the only way we'll get into the habit of consistently praying them all inshallah.

Yes. true say. :jkk: akhi.

Mister Fundie
04-07-11, 07:17 AM

Sunnah Muakkadah are emphasied Sunnah which Prophet :saw: never used to miss.

A person only becomes sinful when he deliberately leaves out the
Sunnat-e-Muakkadah continuously. If due to unavoidable circumstances he
omits them once in a while, then he will not be regarded as sinful. (Shaami
vol.2 pg.451; Multan). The four Sunnats before Jummu'ah Salaat and the four
and two Sunnats after the Jummu'ah Salaat are Sunnat-e-Muakkadah.

AskImam (http://www.islam.tc/cgi-bin/askimam/ask.pl?q=3513&act=print)

i thought the last two sunnats are ghayr muakkadah?

noobz
04-07-11, 07:27 AM
why are there 2 sets of hadith on 1 issue ... i never really understood this issue .... Did they forget or is there some1 in the chain that ACCIDENTALLY got it wrong?

Glorfindel
04-07-11, 07:48 AM
As-Salam 'Aliekum,

There is a reason why these prayers are sunnah and not considered Fard - because the evidences for them are not to the level of Fard prayers - for example all Muslims agree that As-Subh is 2 rakat, Dhuhr is 4 rakat, 'Asr is 4 rakat, Maghrib is 3 rakat and 'Isha is 4 rakat - for all the additional prayers (and their modes and times) there is a vast difference of opinion between the various madhabs.

For example in the Maliki madhab the Sunnah prayers are not ever prayed more then 2 rakat in one go, so Fajr is 2 rakat, in Dhuhr it is 4 before and 4 after the Fard but broken up into 2 rakat units (the same for Jumma' - 2+2, 2+2), 'Asr has 4 (again 2+2), Maghrib has 6 (2+2+2) after the Fard and 'Isha has 2 after with an odd number for the Witr prayer (usually 1 rakat) and then an even number for the Shafa' prayer (usually 2 rakat). Having said all that it should be known that the number of rakat for these various prayers is not fixed and it is voluntary, to not pray them doesn't incur fisq of any sort whatsoever.

The Mu'akidah Sunnah, as far as I know in other Madhabs, are the sunan that the prophet (sal alalhu 'aleihi wa salem) never left, those which are Ghayr Mu'akidah are those which he did on occasion leave - even so the sunnah is voluntary (if you do them you are rewarded, if you don't then you are not punished for it) and should be viewed as such.

The actions in Islam are broken up into 5 with regards to reward and punishment.

1. Fard/Wajib - If you do then you are rewarded and if you don't then you are punished (note Ash-Shafi' broke up Fard and Wajib into acts of 'Ibadat and Mu'malat respectively as Fard/Wajib are synonyms as far as he was concerned).
2. Sunnah/Mandoub/Mustahab - if you do then you are rewarded if you don't then you are not punished.
3. Makrooh - if you do then you are not punished, but if you don't then you are rewarded.
4. Mubah - No reward nor Punishment for it
5. Haram - If you do there is punishment for it.

The sunnan prayers fall into the second category.

I hope this helps.

Wa Salam Allah 'Aliek.

uncle umar
04-07-11, 08:22 AM
why are there 2 sets of hadith on 1 issue ... i never really understood this issue .... Did they forget or is there some1 in the chain that ACCIDENTALLY got it wrong?

the mufti i called said that when time is an issue, to make 2 rakat sunnah, and when time is not an issue to make the 4 rakat. this leads me to believe that both sets of hadith are sahih (but i dont know for sure) and thus possibly the prophet pbuh prayed both the 2 and 4 sunnah rakat depending on the circumstances.

it could be that both hadith are sahih, but that somones memory in the chain of hadith messed up.

it could be that one aalim chooses sahih muslim or sahih bukhari as muslim was more strict in grading his hadith.

there are alot of reasons why there are differences like this. it is not an issue to ponder over really, unless you are an aalim. otherwise your just going to confuse yourself.

munnibhai
04-07-11, 10:41 AM
please tell me what is sunnat-e-mokda?

are these the sunnah rakats we pray after or before farz rakats?

Ahmed<--me!
04-07-11, 11:16 AM

You can't consider Sunnah Muakkadah as Fardh, doing this could mean you are an innovator or even worse have gone in to disbelief. The reason for saying disbelief is that considering a Sunnah Muakkadah as Fardh is going against what is established in Islam. Ask any Scholar/Imam and they will tell you how bad such a deed is.

We need to remember the important of Sunnah Muakkadah such as in the Hadiths other members have posted above.

Also realise that on the Day of Judgement, the non-obligatory prayers you have prayed will be looked at to make up for any shortcomings in the obligatory prayers you have prayed:

The Messenger (:saw:) told us in an authentic hadith , “The first thing the people will be accountable for on the Day of Judgment is prayer, Allah will say to His angels (even though he already knows) : “Look at my servants prayers. Were they complete or not?” If they were complete It will be written as complete. If they were not fully complete Allah will say: “See if my servant has voluntary prayers, If he has them Allah will say: Complete his obligatory prayers shortage with his voluntary prayers.” Then the rest of his deeds will be dealt with in the same manner.” {Reported by Imams Ahmad, Abu Dawood, An-Nisa'i, and Al-Hakim}.

Actually your right, my mistake I had something else on my mind.

TigerBhai_Affy
04-07-11, 11:54 AM
thank you for this infromation, i was recnently confused about the sunnah rakats but know it all make sences

:up: thanks

Hafsah1
04-07-11, 03:55 PM
The Following is what I think are the rakats for the prayers, but still double check them in case there is something incorrect, with an imam or scholar or someone with knowledge to make sure it's correct.

Or Maybe someone on this Forum may correct it if anything in it is wrong?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fajr: Sunnah Mokda 2 Rakat, Farz (Obligatory) 2 Rakat

Zuhr: Sunnah Mokda 4 Rakat, Farz (Obligatory) 4 Rakat, Sunnah 2 Rakat, Nafl (Voluntary) 2 Rakat

Asr: Sunnah Ghair Mokda 4 Rakat, Farz (Obligatory) 4 Rakat

Maghrib: Farz (Obligatory) 3 Rakat, Sunnah 2 Rakat, Nafl(Voluntary) 2 Rakat

Isha: Sunnah Ghair Mokda 4 rakat, Farz (Obligatory) 4 Rakat, Sunnah 2 Rakat, Nafl (Voluntary) 2 Rakat, Witr 3 Rakat, Nafl 2 Rakat

Jummah: Sunnah Mokda 4 Rakat, Farz (Obligatory) 2 Rakat, Sunnah 4 Rakat, Sunnah 2 Rakat, Nafl 2 Rakat

(Friday Prayer [Jummah] is offered in place of Zuhr and at the time of Zuhr Prayer)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Following Website May also have some useful info regarding the Salat:

http://islamnewsroom.com/news-we-need/1589-questioning-salat

With Witr Prayer I think you can pray 1, 3, 5, 7 or 9 Rakat, it doesn't have to be 3 Rakat I think, but again double check this

The Following Website has a bit of info on Witr:

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/46544

Hope all that info helps, but if you have any questions the best people to speak to would be an Imam or Scholar who knows what they are talking about.

Sheikh Shady Alsuleiman, has his email details on the following website and normally answers his emails but obviously you should ask a local imam (or a sister of knowledge if your female, lol) if you don't know how to pray, so they can actually teach you:

http://www.sydneyic.org.au/web.php/teachers/shady

Please don't take what I've put thinking it is 100% correct, but double check it, and if there is something wrong with the amounts of rakats etc, Please Correct the Post.

Jazakallah Khairun

Soliloquy
04-07-11, 04:22 PM
Isha: Sunnah Ghair Mokda 4 rakat, Farz (Obligatory) 4 Rakat, Sunnah 2 Rakat, Nafl (Voluntary) 2 Rakat, Witr 3 Rakat, Nafl 2 Rakat

Like .mirror. said, the 2 Sunnah raka'at after Isha are Sunnah Muakkadah.

.mirror.
04-07-11, 05:04 PM
As-Salam 'Aliekum,

There is a reason why these prayers are sunnah and not considered Fard - because the evidences for them are not to the level of Fard prayers - for example all Muslims agree that As-Subh is 2 rakat, Dhuhr is 4 rakat, 'Asr is 4 rakat, Maghrib is 3 rakat and 'Isha is 4 rakat - for all the additional prayers (and their modes and times) there is a vast difference of opinion between the various madhabs.

For example in the Maliki madhab the Sunnah prayers are not ever prayed more then 2 rakat in one go, so Fajr is 2 rakat, in Dhuhr it is 4 before and 4 after the Fard but broken up into 2 rakat units (the same for Jumma' - 2+2, 2+2), 'Asr has 4 (again 2+2), Maghrib has 6 (2+2+2) after the Fard and 'Isha has 2 after with an odd number for the Witr prayer (usually 1 rakat) and then an even number for the Shafa' prayer (usually 2 rakat). Having said all that it should be known that the number of rakat for these various prayers is not fixed and it is voluntary, to not pray them doesn't incur fisq of any sort whatsoever.

The Mu'akidah Sunnah, as far as I know in other Madhabs, are the sunan that the prophet (sal alalhu 'aleihi wa salem) never left, those which are Ghayr Mu'akidah are those which he did on occasion leave - even so the sunnah is voluntary (if you do them you are rewarded, if you don't then you are not punished for it) and should be viewed as such.

The actions in Islam are broken up into 5 with regards to reward and punishment.

1. Fard/Wajib - If you do then you are rewarded and if you don't then you are punished (note Ash-Shafi' broke up Fard and Wajib into acts of 'Ibadat and Mu'malat respectively as Fard/Wajib are synonyms as far as he was concerned).
2. Sunnah/Mandoub/Mustahab - if you do then you are rewarded if you don't then you are not punished.
3. Makrooh - if you do then you are not punished, but if you don't then you are rewarded.
4. Mubah - No reward nor Punishment for it
5. Haram - If you do there is punishment for it.

The sunnan prayers fall into the second category.

I hope this helps.

Wa Salam Allah 'Aliek.

I guess, that's another opinion.

However, Sunnah Muakkadah is an emphasised Sunnah. I was reading IslamQA (http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/6586) and they compared it to the Sunnah of keeping a beard. So, in a sense it's sinful to miss out an obligatory Sunnah, and not a recommended Sunnah (like praying Salatul Duha).

Wallahu Alam.

.mirror.
04-07-11, 05:07 PM

You can't consider Sunnah Muakkadah as Fardh, doing this could mean you are an innovator or even worse have gone in to disbelief. The reason for saying disbelief is that considering a Sunnah Muakkadah as Fardh is going against what is established in Islam. Ask any Scholar/Imam and they will tell you how bad such a deed is.

We need to remember the important of Sunnah Muakkadah such as in the Hadiths other members have posted above.

Also realise that on the Day of Judgement, the non-obligatory prayers you have prayed will be looked at to make up for any shortcomings in the obligatory prayers you have prayed:

The Messenger (:saw:) told us in an authentic hadith , “The first thing the people will be accountable for on the Day of Judgment is prayer, Allah will say to His angels (even though he already knows) : “Look at my servants prayers. Were they complete or not?” If they were complete It will be written as complete. If they were not fully complete Allah will say: “See if my servant has voluntary prayers, If he has them Allah will say: Complete his obligatory prayers shortage with his voluntary prayers.” Then the rest of his deeds will be dealt with in the same manner.” {Reported by Imams Ahmad, Abu Dawood, An-Nisa'i, and Al-Hakim}.

I think the brother was just emphasizing the fact that we shouldn't miss out Sunnah Muakkadah prayers, like we don't miss out fardhs. He didn't mean to declare them fardh.

Glorfindel
04-07-11, 08:12 PM
I guess, that's another opinion.

However, Sunnah Muakkadah is an emphasised Sunnah. I was reading IslamQA (http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/6586) and they compared it to the Sunnah of keeping a beard. So, in a sense it's sinful to miss out an obligatory Sunnah, and not a recommended Sunnah (like praying Salatul Duha).

Wallahu Alam.

Reward and Punishment are very important because they define to us what the category of the action is that Allah asks of us because there are many things which Allah says and the understanding of the scholars of fiqh is that we take everything that Allah asks of us as a request unless there is something else that indicates to us, via Qareena whether this is Fard or Haram - i.e. for a request to be made obligatory it has to have accompanying it evidences that not doing it Allah will punish us; for example the reason prayer is obligatory is not because Allah says:...وَأَقِيمُوا الصَّلَاةَ... in various places in the Qu'ran but rather because of the question to the people of hell who answer that they are in hell because they were not of those who prayed:

مَا سَلَكَكُمْ فِي سَقَرَ
قَالُوا لَمْ نَكُ مِنَ الْمُصَلِّينَ

What hath brought you to this burning
They will say: We were not of those who prayed
(TMQ 71:42-43)

So I don't understand this business about being punished for not doing something which is Sunnah - which the IslamQA link you provided said right in the first couple of sentences "...What the scholars of usool and fiqh call “mustahabb (encouraged)”, which are deeds for which the one who does them will be rewarded, but the one who does not do them will not deserve to be punished for that..." (http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/6586) so I don't see how something which in 'asl is voluntary becomes obligatory?

As for the beard IslamQA says that it is wajib, so it has nothing to do with Sunnah actions.

Wa Salam Allah 'Aliek.

.mirror.
04-07-11, 08:17 PM
I don't know what to say. But, this is a matter of difference of opinion between maddhabs.
The scholars who are saying it's sinful have done their research, too, I'm sure.

In the end, Allah knows best.