PDA

View Full Version : Are there any Jews in Madina?

Raashid
01-02-08, 09:12 AM
My father went to hajj last year and he made the most extraordinary claim. He says he saw a man with the Jewish skullcap running a jewellers in Madina. He asked a local Saudi resident who he was with whether the man was Jewish, and the Saudi told him that yes, there were a small number of Jews remaining in Madina from the time of the Prophet SalAllahu alaihis Salam!

Can anyone shed any light on this? I thought Jews had been expelled from Madina from that time, although I have heard scholars say that the hadiths actually only name 17 leaders who were executed and it wasn't clear what happened to the rest of the tribe. But then I thought, allnon-Muslims were made to leave the Arabian Peninsula, although I've also read that when Umar (RA) was Caliph he didn't make them all leave.
And if indeed both Jewish tribes from Madina had been expelled, who are these Jews now residing in Madina? What exactly is Saudi law regarding non-Muslims residing in Makkah and Madina?

shamson
01-02-08, 09:34 AM
What is wrong with their being a Jew in medina? The Prophet SAW did not ban them. As long as they paid the (what is it called?) and do not preach their beliefs to the muslims etc. Their is a hadith where the prophet SAW forbade the killing of those who live under the gaurdianship of the muslims. I read this in a hadith recently in a book titled 'Paradise and Hell in light of the quran and sunnah, Islamic creed series vol 5. by Umar s al-ashqar. The book is quite in depth and long so dont remember exactly what page but inshAllah someone from ummah should remember the hadith????

The jews were more protected under islam then any other authority. Also if this man has been there for xxx number of years and this is where his forefathers are from then would you kick him out? I know this is what they jews of today are doing to the muslims but this individual man is going about his business. I doubt if he was a zionist he wud be in medina living among the muslims? Nway that is just my opinion.

shamson
01-02-08, 09:49 AM
also another point

muslim reported from thawbaan that a jew asked the Prophet SAW 'what will they (the believers) be presented with when they enter paradise'? The Prophet SAW replied

'The caudate (extra) lobe of fish liver, the jew asked 'what will they eat after that?' The Prophet SAW replied 'The bull which is now grazing in paradise, will be slaughted for them. the jew asked what will they drink after that and the prophet SAW replied 'from a spring called salsabil' the jew said you have spoken the truth.

This proves that their were jews around the Prophet SAW and he actually answered questions from them subhanAllah.

Mikha’eel
01-02-08, 09:58 AM
I thought they were expelled after the death of Prophet :saw: by Umar Radhi-yallaahu 'anhu :confused:
I know there are Xtians still there...

Tranquillity
01-02-08, 10:00 AM
Sorry shamson, but if you go back to the original poster he wasn't saying there was anything wrong with Jews living there or saying that there weren't any in the time of the Prophet (saw) or saying that they should be kicked out. You jumped to conclusions because if you read the post again, the questions he was asking were:

who are these Jews now residing in Madina? What exactly is Saudi law regarding non-Muslims residing in Makkah and Madina?

And if anyone knows the answer btw, I'd be interested to know as well!

Raashid
01-02-08, 10:53 AM
I thought they were expelled after the death of Prophet :saw: by Umar Radhi-yallaahu 'anhu :confused:
I know there are Xtians still there...

Christians in Makkah and Madina? If so then it's less surprisng there are Jews since they wer there ffrom the time of the Prophet :saw:

Are these Christians natives or these recent contract workers?

Tahiyah
01-02-08, 12:29 PM
why is it so surprising? not every situation between muslims and jews is like that of Palestine/Israel...

bint
01-02-08, 12:34 PM
i thought there were only muslims in makkah and madinah. cos thats what teh security told me :S

Abdul-Curim
01-02-08, 02:19 PM
this is news , as far as i know there is not a single non-muslim residing in makkah or madinah with the knowledge of the authorities .

EbuZerr
01-02-08, 02:51 PM
If I am not wrong kuffar can not go into Mekke and Medine..

sis_niqabi
01-02-08, 02:57 PM
salam

jews are not allowed in saudi period. so highly doubt a jew would be in medina. saudi even takes bibles away from people at the airport.

Le Croyant
01-02-08, 03:25 PM
If i recall correctly, Jews were expelled from Madina during the times of Umar (RA).

And there r no Christians or Jews living in Makkah or Madina. Especially as business men & as locals.

I would not be surprised if they came in during some construction projects thru some back doors. But one vl not b able to pass the checkpoints with an ID which states ur religion.

Cashew
01-02-08, 06:26 PM
Maybe the Jews don't technically live in Madinah.

cyber_abdullah
01-02-08, 11:08 PM
More than likely the Jews live in the outskirts of Madinah in the zone outside of the haram (sacred area) of Madinah. That is if there are any at all. The same would apply with Christians.

Rasulullah (saw) gave the order to expel the Jews and Christians from the Arabian peninsular:

Malik :: Book 45 : Hadith 45.5.17
Yahya related to me from Malik from Ismail ibn Abi Hakim that he heard Umar ibn Abd al-Aziz say, "One of the last things that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said was, 'May Allah fight the jews and the christians. They took the graves of their Prophets as places of prostration . Two deens shall not co-exist in the land of the Arabs.' "

Cashew
02-02-08, 01:41 AM
More than likely the Jews live in the outskirts of Madinah in the zone outside of the haram (sacred area) of Madinah. That is if there are any at all. The same would apply with Christians.

Rasulullah (saw) gave the order to expel the Jews and Christians from the Arabian peninsular:

Malik :: Book 45 : Hadith 45.5.17
Yahya related to me from Malik from Ismail ibn Abi Hakim that he heard Umar ibn Abd al-Aziz say, "One of the last things that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said was, 'May Allah fight the jews and the christians. They took the graves of their Prophets as places of prostration . Two deens shall not co-exist in the land of the Arabs.' "

In Morocco, at least, every major city had a Jewish quarter where Jews worked at traditional trades such as gold- and silversmithing.

BubbleGum
02-02-08, 02:28 AM
why is it so surprising? not every situation between muslims and jews is like that of Palestine/Israel...

That was my first thought. Then I read that is Saudi law that non-Muslims cannot enter Mecca or Madina. BUT, what about those that were already in Mecca when the law was enforced.

Perhaps there are Christian, Jewish communities that are accepted by the locals and authorities. After all, they did not ENTER the cities. They were there all along. But we just never hear about it (?)

~Bub

ummbilal
02-02-08, 02:33 AM
isnt it haram to have kufr people living in the Arabian peninsular ?

Neurostyler
02-02-08, 02:36 AM
isnt it haram to have kufr people living in the Arabian peninsular ?

Isn't that a form of apartheid? I call double standards

Strict2TheSunna
02-02-08, 12:02 PM
Only one religion is allowed in Mecca and Medina, Islam.

As for the rest of saudi unfortantly you got kuffar.

Irfan al Din
02-02-08, 12:23 PM
Isn't that a form of apartheid? I call double standards

No... apartheid would be allowing them to live in Saudi Arabia but treating them vastly differently. Discrimination might be the word you are looking for?

Joha
02-02-08, 01:07 PM
Maybe the Jews don't technically live in Madinah.

That may be true. The whole of Madinah isn't included in the prohibition.

For instance King Fahad Hospital in Madinah, last time I was there, did employ non-Muslims. It is outside the boundaries of the haram, but officially within Madinah (I think).

Neurostyler
02-02-08, 01:54 PM
No... apartheid would be allowing them to live in Saudi Arabia but treating them vastly differently. Discrimination might be the word you are looking for?

Apartheid means 'segregation'.

dhak1yya
02-02-08, 01:59 PM
Apartheid means 'segregation'.

glad we cleared up that one.

So Israel is an apartheid state then.

Neurostyler
02-02-08, 02:01 PM
glad we cleared up that one.

So Israel is an apartheid state then.

It must be as much as Saudi is.